“Relaxing, great staff, nice large rooms” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Secrets Marquis Los Cabos

You added Secrets Marquis Los Cabos to your Saves list
Secrets Marquis Los Cabos
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Transpeninsular Km 21.5 | Fraccionamiento Cabo Real, San Jose del Cabo 23400, Mexico (Formerly Marquis Los Cabos)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #10 of 37 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Atlanta, Georgia
“Relaxing, great staff, nice large rooms”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

Great resort, fun and nice staff. Be sure to specify top shelf liquor or they will only use the no name local stuff. Activities every hour so plenty to do during the day in between relaxing by the pool. Time of year was great with the weather and also the resort was only 50% full so easy to find a chair by pool. Had coffee on the patio in the mornings and at night had the sliding door open to hear the waves break. I did a cooking class, salsa dance, water aerobics, stretching class in the week. Great time to try new things. The best restaurant was the Mediterranean one that you normally eat breakfast, lunch and dinner menu was the best. The sushi and French restaurants not so great.

Took bus to Los Cabos, it was just fine but be sure to get off the "Marina". Locals on the bus so they speak Spanish. Took water taxi to see the arches which was beautiful. Would like to have gone to San Jose, we heard that it was very nice and not touristy there. But we ran out of time and really just wanted to relax at the resort. Cabo town is just tourist trinkets all around, so it is more popular at night with the clubs. I would love to go back here. Also try the cerviche at the resort, just fantastic.

Room Tip: I can't see how there is a bad room. All face the ocean.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (345)
calgary
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

This was my first trip to Cabo, I have always gone to the Mayan side in the past. The only downside to where we were is that due to the rip tides/waves it was not safe to swim outside of the hotel. The beach however is still stunning, and you can still lay out in the chairs or take a stroll down the beach in either direction for miles. The bonus of the location is that it wasn't far from the airport. There is nothing worse than an hour long bus ride with a million stops at other resorts along the way, this did not happen while staying here.
My favorite thing about the resort was their amazing infinity pools! I spent all of my time in either a lounger by the pool or on a floatie. As they have mentioned in the other reviews every room has an ocean view-it can't be beat! We woke up every day with fresh fruit and coffee! There was an option when we had checked in to have it delivered daily between 6-8am. They had these great cubbies (like milk delivery in the old days) where they would leave it- so we were never disturbed. Brilliant.
We also ordered room service for breakfast, it came quickly and was delicious!
I gave a "very good" for service due to our first night there. The service for dinner was terrible! We gad a large group- but the resort was empty and our wine glasses were often left that way too :( And we were paying for the wine-not the free stuff!
Luckily evey other meal and interaction made up for this. The staff at the pool were remarkable! I had all the electric lemonades I could dream of, I never even had to lay my towel out- what service!
The staff went above and beyond - including our last day. I desperately wanted one more Ceviche and electric lemonade before having to jet. They were still setting up and not ready for guests yet, but when I explained my prediciment they sat us early. They also squeezed me in for a massage that morning prior to lunch, when they were fully booked. If it werent for the first nigt theyvwould have recieved A++. We didnt do any excursions due to the length of our tip, and that I have done many of them in the past. There was plenty to choose from if thats your thing.
Overall food was really good. Typically all inclusive food is ok to mediocre at best. They surpassed this slightly, but there is still room for improvement. I could have done with a few less rolls with cream cheese in them at Spice (it seemed to be in every one!)
Overall would I go back? Absolutely.... If there weren't so many other places in the world I want to still see. We were here on short retreat, but it wold be great for friends or couples also.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
montreal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

Wow...

Where to begin? My husband and I are super well traveled people and this hotel and it's staff did nothing but amaze us from the beginning of our stay until the very end.

ROOMS
The hotel rooms are simply amazing. I believe all the rooms have ocean view so paying more for "ocean front" is not really necessary. I don't know how they managed to do this, but you can actually see the ocean from your bed, you can see it when you're brushing your teeth, you can see it when you're showering or even when you're soaking in the tub. The beds were comfortable and so were the pillows. A small tray with Pringles potato chips and peanut M&M's is replenished every day....my husband truly was in heaven. Coronita beers in the fridge replaced daily. The breakfast nook is a great idea that should be implemented in every hotel of the world. Every morning after 6am, a tray with a pot of coffee and a few homemade pastries is delivered in a small breakfast nook with 2 doors. One which opens from the hallway and one which opens from the room. What a great concept. My husband is the kind of person who needs his coffee the second he wakes up, so we found this feature priceless. The cinnamon pastry was the best, in our opinion. Also, if you go during during whale watching season, you'll be able to see the whales from you balcony and even from you bed. We were just amazed...

BEACH
Every person who complains about the beach at Secrets Marquis either 1) didn't do their research beforehand or 2) hoped it would miraculously change just for them. The beach is beautiful and clean. But the waves and currents can get extremely rough so there are signs forbidding people to swim. My husband swam twice right in front of the hotel on days where the current wasn't that strong, but it made the hotel staff very uneasy. They really don't want to deal with any drownings or accidents so they ask tourists not to go into the ocean. The beach itself is government property though so the hotel can't be held responsible if anything happens to you. I personally hate walking in the sand but the 5 minute walk to the small and safe Hilton / Melia beach is very easy and pleasant. The water there is crystal clear and big rock formations make it very safe.

POOLS
The infinity pools are the best part of this resort. Most importantly they were very warm (end of February can be chilly). Our favorite activity (and pretty much everybody else's) was to just float at the edge of the infinity pool, sip our cold drinks while watching the whales jump right in front of the hotel. Even on the weekends, when the hotel filled up, there was always room to sit around the pools.

HOT TUBS
What hot tubs?....the jaccuzzis are just beautiful, they're not hot at all. This was my #1 pet peeve about this resort. One day, after a great afternoon strolling downtown Cabos San Lucas, my husband and I grabbed drinks and planned on spending an hour in the hot tub to watch the sunset....we got so disappointed when we realized it was at the same temperature as the pool. The jaccuzzis located in the Spa were at the correct temperature though (over 100). But you have to pay to access them (or get a spa service which includes their use).

SPA
The hotel SPA is huge. I splurged on a Swedish massage and it was well worth it. I found the price a bit steep when I made my reservations but in the end it was worth every penny. I used a resort coupon for a rebate on this service. My therapist really knew what she was doing. Professional and experienced. There are a few places to relax inside the spa and it is beautiful, clean, zen, comfortable....everything you want a spa to be. Beautiful hair and nail salon as well.

ROOM SERVICE
We ordered room service twice and it was amazing. The food was very high quality and was at perfect temperature. We ordered wine with our food and they left us the whole bottle. No gimmicks or extra charges.

RESTAURANTS
Vista Ballenas was the main restaurant and was my personal favorite. The breakfast is perfect....they ask you to go sit while they finish your made to order omelet, and a waiter then brings it to your table. They really go the extra mile. Lunch was great at that restaurant as well. They ocean views are also priceless. They have a blue cheese, penne, walnut and apple salad which is to die for. They sea bass is also very tasty.

Spice (asian) restaurant was excellent. We liked it so much we dined there twice in one week. My husband and I don't usually like that type of restaurant but the food, the show and the company were amazing. Choice of chicken, sea bass and a third option which I can't recall, mixed with grilled vegetables. They make sushis as well and although we didn't try them ourselves, other guests told us they were very good.

Canto del mar was a very fancy French restaurant. The food was extremely tasty and the presentation was flawless. Service was second to none. Only a few tables in the small restaurant but it ultimately feels like a very intimate, ritzy quality dinner. Have dinner there one night, it will feel like you have a 5 star chef, a 4 diamond waiter and a world class sommelier to yourself. We ate there twice and really enjoyed it.

Barefoot grill was by far our favorite (although every restaurant in the resort is great) because of 1) its location is right by the infinity edge pool right overlooking the beach and the ocean so the views are spectacular, 2) its filet Mignon steak which was cooked to perfection every time. It felt like we paid 200 $ for a private beach dinner without actually paying for it.

CoCo Café was a small coffee shop with real espresso machines. All their coffees are amazing, but my favorite was by far the iced cappuccino. I don't think I've ever purchased a tastier one. They always have a few fruits, pastries and small sandwiches as well.

ACTIVITIES
The only activity we participated in was the popular tequila tasting and it was very interesting. Anejo, reposado...see I actually learned something! Who even knew about cream of tequila?...much tastier than I imagined. Nothing much happens at night....about a dozen people chilling at the lobby bar until about midnight.... Beach party one night with a bit more than a dozen people. It's a very chill resort. You have to go downtown for real night life.

BUS
Traveling by cab can get expensive but taking the public bus system costs only a few dollars. You hop on the bus right in front of the hotel and it brings you to nearby Walmart, Sam's club or even downtown Cabos in 20 minutes or so. Convenient, fun and cheap.

SERVICE
Amazing....second to none! It's impossible to name all the waiters and employees who went out of their way to make our stay an unforgettable experience. Every time I started a question with "would it be possible to...", their answer would always be "everything is possible!". My only complaint would be their "timeshare" program which they actually call unlimited vacations club or something like that. The representative they introduced us to at check-in was very nice and knowledgeable....but he was supposed to "explain" to us our coupons for a few minutes but instead proceeded to try and send us on all kinds of trips and adventures for "FREE" if we would accept to go visit other resorts and listen to a presentation. Anyways he ended up keeping us for about an hour at the lobby. These guys are professionals, they won't let go that easily. The lobby was the most beautiful part of the resort but every time we would pass by the lobby, the same gentleman would come and start talking to us for hours, in a nice way but obviously to get us to join their vacations program. So after a while we just tried to avoid the lobby area not to get harassed. I'm pretty sure this has nothing to do with Secrets Marquis and it's staff though, it must be the same at all AM resorts with their somewhat aggressive timeshare program.

Go if you want:

Clean beautiful and luxurious hotel
Calm and peaceful surroundings
World class service and food
Super comfortable and amazingly furnished rooms with amazing views
Complete Spa with real professionals

Don't go if you're looking for:

A party resort with a party atmosphere
An oceanfront resort where you can swim in the ocean (5 min. walk to "swimmable" beach)
A very private bathroom (if you don't close the curtains between the room and the washroom, you can kinda see you partner change, shower and bathe (see pictures)

Finally we'd love to try the Zoetry resort, a beautiful neighbouring property from AM resorts which is smaller and supposedly even more luxurious (Bulgari toiletries!), but we loved the Marquis so much that we're already planning our return trip. Thank you Secrets for the unforgettable getaway!

Room Tip: Oceanfront supplement $ not really worth it since all rooms have oceanview
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with this hotel. In fact, there are several things that are really outstanding.

The service is superior. Every time we went to a bar or a restaurant, we were met by at least 2 or 3 staff members to take care of our needs - promptly and efficiently. The room was serviced at least twice a day, and more often if we asked for it. The drinks were better than at any resort we've ever stayed at. The bartenders went out of their way to make sure you were happy with their drinks, and took them out of your hand if you so much as just said, 'eh...' in response to 'is ok?'

All that being said, this place still doesn't stack up to Sandals or even their own sister resort 'Dreams' just down the road (where we went one night for dinner). It sits on an exposed beach and is very windy with very little garden vegetation, so you don't get that 'tropical isle' feeling. You only have two decent restaurants on the property (the other 3 or 4 choices are 'grilles') for dining. And the overall feel of the place is that its just been dropped on the hillside between the highway and the beach with little planning or afterthought.

We did go into Cabo a couple of times, and we did wind up having a good time out of the week. It was just that it wound up not being what we thought it was going to be - a romantic getaway for two at a luxurious, over-the-top, couples hideaway.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Tustin, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

This was my husband and my first stay in Cabo. We'd been at Dreams in Puerta Vallarta several times, but wanted to try out Secrets in Cabo. It was fantastic! The weather was ideal. We stayed for 5 nights, and enjoyed so many wonderful amenities at the resort. The food is top rate, and it's so nice being able to dine outside for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I highly recommend their guacamole and chips - served poolside. Great selections - 5 restaurants plus 24-hour room service. They kept the fridge in our room stocked with drinks and snacks at all times. The wait staff was amazing - at the pool and during the sit-down meals. Our room was very nicely appointed, and we loved having a jacuzzi tub in the middle where we could look out on the ocean. They truly go out of their way to ensure a wonderful vacation. I highly recommend. Can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: All the suites face the ocean, but the best views are floors 4 and above.
San Diego
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

This was my third time in Cabo, and this was the best hotel I have stayed at. The food was great. I appreciated that it was made when it was ordered and not before. I liked the food selections on menus and the variety of restaurants..... Didn't get sick of the food during our 5 day stay.

We had an ocean front Jr suite. If I had to guess I'd say all the rooms have an ocean view but the ocean front may guarantee you a room on a higher floor....

Maid service was great, so was gym, and spa... Would def recommend this hotel...

Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

Recently (May 21-26) stayed at Secrets Marquis for relaxing get-away. Overall was very pleased with the hotel and the area in general. Was some missteps that gave me some pause for such a well presented property, but the positives far overshadowed the negatives.

Our first time to this area after having frequented Playa del Carmen and Mayan Riveria areas for years. We recently moved from Ft Worth to Phoenix and the ease of travel on direct flight of less than 2-hours made this a very easy travel decision. Comparing to the east coast/Mayan Riveria is like night and day. Much more relaxed, less crowded and more laid back on the Cabo side.

The SJD airport had just recently opened Terminal 2 and was exceptional. Not many US airports are this clean and spacious. Very easy getting in and out. You do have to run the gauntlet of "official tourism" hosts right after luggage area. I have learned to keep my head down and bull through though my wife is too soft and usually gets us roped into to stopping and having to almost be rude to get away to waiting taxi's or shuttle busses. I had booked round trip private transport through Cabo Congierge for $140 RT. I made a huge mistake and mixed up the days of arrival. Did not notice unitl i got outside and did not see our name on a placard. After cursing myself aggressively for such a rookie mistake - we quickly and easily arranged to take one of the shuttel busses that stops at many hotels for $28 one way for both of us. The driver could not have been nicer and more helpful as I kept waiting for some scam. No issues. Even with about 4 other couples we were to Secrets in about 30-minutes with no hassle. Note about Cabo Concierge - I fully expected to lose my $70 fare since I made the mistake. When they came to pick us up from the hotel to the return trip to the ariport - the driver immediately handed me $70 cash. Wow!

The hotel could not be on a better piece of beautiful property. It is right on the highway but right on the water. It is not a huge place - but substantial. The lobby is great and check-in was easy. They orginally had us on the second floor but I asked for a higher room and they accomodated us to the top floor (5th) for no extra charge. We were taken to the room after being explained the coupons (seemed to be a bigger deal than it was). The room was good sized with bathroom right off of entry. It had plenty of counter space for wifes stuff and still a little corner for me! The large shower and toilet area are seperated by frosted glass door - but was not that big a deal to us (coming from normally very modest people). The large jetted tub made up the divider betweent the bath and the rest of the room. There were some light curtains but really not much else. I might recommend they have a heavier curtain as an option - but again, not much issue we felt.

The bed was large and firm. Nice sitting couch with large sofa table along with small desk. TV was in the full wall unit that also made up the closets and drawers. Lots of room for everything. Small mini-bar that was stocked with mainly soft drinks and water. Did have 4 mini Corona's that took about 5-minutes to down. No hard stuff in the room which was a little surprising and would have have been welcome. But it was no problem to call room service for additional drinks of all types.

The star of the room was the balacony. Full wall of windows that lead out to a small but big enough sitting area where we had coffee and such whenever we were in the room and not sleeping or smooching. You feel like you are right next to the water and the ocean roars. The surf is strong and load. But what a great sound.

We really enjoyed the pools. We alternated between the very large infinity pools over the next 5-days. Never had an issue with finiding good seats and great areas for chilling. Never too far from a restroom. I will say that this is where the hotel really shines - the atmosphere and service around the pools and beach area is exceptional. Anytime we needed something it was always on its way. The wait staff was attentive (and busy). But never felt neglected or wanting for too long.

The beach was nice but since there is no swimming, most people stayed at the pools. But since you are right on the water at the pools, you are right there. Just vegging in the infinity pool staring into the waves was sub-lime. We would usually get to the pool around 10am, have some lunch around 1p just steps from our pool loungers (or they would bring the food right to you), then relax and drink until about 3:30 or 4p when we would start getting ready for evening. Great schedule.

Food was always enjoyable to very good. We dont expect world class cuisine at an all-inclusive and we normally eating like crazy in warm climates, so we mainly stuck to lighter food and local recommendations. Guacamole is a must and soon became our staple at almost every meal. The ceviche and seafood cocktails were great. Mexican dishes were good including authentic tacos and quesidillo. We really like Dos Mares and Spice. We went into Cabo a couple of nights and did not try the others - they alternated being open on some of the weeknights.

At night it is really laid back. I would not say boring since most of the couples were there to chill. Always easy to chat with others at the bars along with nice little things around the center pool including music and planned events.

The area was very safe and after a few days our concerns and guard came down. People were super firendly and you did not feel it was an act because you were tourists. From the hotel people, to taxi drivers, to people at town - very easy going and helpful.

We did a sunset boat tour and went into Cabo a couple of nights. This was a recharge trip so not much was wasted on too much planning. Cabo is nice and little more hopping. Nothing on the scale of Cancun or even Playa - which is nice. Still some good clubs and shopping along with great marina if you like boats. We would hang around the lobby and split cabs with other couples in the early evening.

My few suggestions for improvement:
1) Some service issues related to picking up dishes from room service.
2) First round of room cleaning was fairly early (8a - 9a) for a resort. Almost every day we had a notice that we had missed the cleaning service as we walked out around 9a. It was no problem to call and schedule again, but a little annoying.

Highly recommend and it is now in our rotation. Looking forward to more exploring going forward.

Room Tip: Higher the better and try and be on the south/Cabo side for better views.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Secrets Marquis Los Cabos? Share your experiences!