“Fantastic choice” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Marquis Los Cabos

You added Marquis Los Cabos to your Saves list
Marquis Los Cabos
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Transpeninsular Km 21.5 | Fraccionamiento Cabo Real, San Jose del Cabo 23400, Mexico (Formerly Marquis Los Cabos)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #8 of 37 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Madison, Wis.
“Fantastic choice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

We started out booked at Dreams, but after watching reviews plummet here on TA, we chose to upgrade to this Secrets property. We have stayed at Secrets before in Cancun and had an excellent experience. Their trademark is "my pleasure" when you thank them for something. It apears that the switch to a Secrets property is relatively new for Marquis, as we noticed a high level of attention to detail, with Cesar walking around talking to guests and managing the teams(managers asked us more than once how things were going, we noticed a review team eating breakfast one day, etc.).

Anyway - if you read no further, here's our summary:
Pros
Great ocean front location - we watched dolphins and whales every day, it was SO cool
Absolutely stunning salt water pools (two) that appear to disappear right into the ocean
The entire place was extremely clean
A high ratio of staff members per guest
Quiet (maybe too quiet for some, but we slept well) not only property wide but in our rooms we never heard people in the hallways or next door, which we like
A few activities to keep us from going too crazy, like a SuperBowl beach party and buffet
A truly kind and friendly staff
Decent food (more on that later) including amazing ceviche prepared a number of ways
Good alcohol selection
Safe
Great gym (not smelly, good ventilation, cold cucumber water and plenty of equipment and weights plus tvs)
Ample chairs with no reserving allowed - staff would also help you find some whe you arrived at the pool. They would insist on helping us move umbrellas and kept us well stocked with water.
We loved waking up with a pot of fresh coffee, fruit and rolls waiting for us in the little cubby.
Not crowded at all anywhere, so it had a peaceful, relaxed vibe
Huge spa tub in our room in addition to a lovely shower and twin sinks
Never had to wait more than 45 seconds for an elevator to our fourth floor suite
Speedy check in process, unlike some huge all inclusive
The crowd felt a little classier than some resorts - I appreciated that women wore cover ups to lunch (I've been at places where every jiggly body part was on full display even at the table), and there wasn't a lot of heavy smoking or loud drinkers (at least not that we noticed). Everyone seemed well behaved, considerate of others and civilized, which we really enjoyed.
Internet worked everywhere
Nice free toiletries, including sunscreen which was a nice touch - and people used it, it wasn't icky or cheap, it smelled good
Didn't need to make annoying reservations for dinner or even worry about it except at Spice. The boutique quality of the resort meant there was plenty of room for everyone anytime. You'll appreciate that if you've ever stayed at a resort where you had to jostle for a table or only got a limited number of reservatiosn - ugh
Housekeeping did a great job.

Cons (these are hardly worth mentioning, really, in light of the pros)
The TVs are outdated and HBO doesn't appear to be included unless you pay, but we hardly watched TV
The bed was a little uncomfortable for me
The food was amusingly inconsistent but always good (for instance we ordered the tortilla soup every day and sometimes there was cheese, other times none, sometimes sour cream, other times none...)
You had to pay for internet use (but we clearly got a deal because they comped us one 4-day pass and then we used some coupons to buy the other days) - I think it was $10 per day per device per day, but again, they usually comped us one device free and we also used our coupons for the rest
It was sometimes annoying you had to re-enter your internet passcode a few times a day for it to keep active
If you wanted to go to Cabo SAn Lucas, it was about 1/2 hour away, so if that's your thing, this might get expensive to take the cab
If you're looking for a party resort this is NOT for you! Most of the people were our age (mid-40s) and up...
Didn't appear to be a dinner buffet at all, just plated meals - no big deal, but if you love to belly up to the buffet, they only had that for breakfast.

Regarding the restaurants, we loved Dos Mares the most. Like most resorts like this, the selections were similar from place to place, but always good. My husband wore a collared shirt to dinner at night, which might be required (we checked out the requirements online before we left). Jackets for men are not required.

We ate a few times at the pool. Adalberto was our favorite guy at the pool. They waited on us hand and foot, bringing place mats, fabric napkins, real china and silverware. Some days it was lovely to just lie back and let them bring us lunch!

If you have drink preferences, including watching sugar, ask the servers. I heard a woman order a skinny margarita and asked for one too, but hadn't seen it listed anywhere.

Last comment - the bathrooms are the same as the other Secrets. But there ARE doors to the toilet, it's just a frosted glass door. There is a regular wooden door from the hallway into the entire bathroom area, frosted doors to the little room for the toilet and another frosted door to the shower, and then a fabric curtain covers the open area between the tub and the room - I suppose to allow views out the balcony. To be honest, we never found it embarrassing. I also bring a travel size room spray to help keep things smelling fresh. The public bathrooms on the pool level were very clean and had private stalls so if you really had some business to take care of, you could always go that route.

Bring travel binoculars if you want to watch the whales and their babies even better. We noticed people did that. It was fun to just lie back and watch for sea life.

Overall we loved it and were honestly sad to leave.

Room Tip: Every room has an ocean view. We enjoyed being on the fourth floor, as we had a fantastic view of th...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Dear AMRESORTS,
I’m writing to inform you of our recent stay at your Secrets Marquis Los Cabos Resort. My wife and I were on our honeymoon and looking forward to the time away together. We rented one of your Casita Ocean View rooms from November 5 through the 10. I have to say I found it very odd that when we arrived at the resort we had to pay for the week up front before even seeing our room or setting foot in the resort itself. Our concierge Noe Valencia escorted us to our room and we both fell in love with it. Noe gave us a tour and explained how everything worked from the mini bar and fridge to the nook where we would be getting our morning coffee, pastry and fruit. We were very excited about the upcoming week.
Our first day there was great we spent it on the roof in the pool. We even ordered a late lunch and they brought it up to the roof for us. We ordered 2 Cesar salads and I only mention this because my wife can’t have dairy. She told room service and they said they would leave the cheese off and make note of it so no dairy would be sent to our room during our stay there. We took a walk along the beach and when we returned we sat out by the pool and watched Monday Night Football till about half time. At half time we went back to our room and to the roof to enjoy the pool and the view. We were disappointed to find out none of the lights including the one in the pool worked so no enjoying the roof for us. We inquired about getting the lights fixed and were told several times that they were going to be fixed. They eventually got fixed on Friday our last night there so for all the money we spent we got to enjoy 1 night on the roof.
Tuesday morning I woke up to find coffee, pastries and fruit in our nook. We had some then ordered breakfast to our room. After breakfast we put all the dishes in the nook and left for the gym. When we walked out our front door we found all our dishes and glasses from the day before piled up outside our room. They were still there when we returned from the gym. We figured we would wait to see if someone would get them because it was still early. After being on the roof for most of the day my wife went down stairs and noticed our room wasn’t made up yet. She called to have someone come make up the room and pick up the dishes from the front of the room. I didn’t believe they were still out there and looked in the nook to see if the breakfast dishes were still there. They weren’t, instead I found our clean towels and sheets. I guess for $ 1,200.00 a night we have to make up our own room. As for the breakfast dishes let’s just say the pile outside our room grew in size.
We ordered lunch to the roof and continued to enjoy the pool and nice weather. After about 45 minutes I walked down the steps to the ground level where I found our lunch sitting there at the bottom of the steps. I guess they didn’t feel like bringing it up to us.
That night we went to Spice your Pan-Asian restaurant. We got hibachi seats with 2 other couples. Our chef burnt our food while trying to make a volcano out of onions. I guess he was trying to hide the fact he overcooked everything because it was smothered in soy sauce to the point it tasted like you were eating pure table salt. Only one out of the six of us was able to finish their meal. My wife and another lady at our table couldn’t even eat any of it due to how salty it was. We went back to our room disappointed and filled out our breakfast card for the next day. My wife put my name on one side and checked off what I wanted and her name on the other side with her order. She put it outside on our door.
The next morning our breakfast arrived but only my wife’s order came. I called down to see where my breakfast was and I was told they didn’t get it. Now how is that possible when they were both on the same card? After about 5 minutes of getting nowhere I was told they found my order and it would be right up. It was, my wife’s order was resent. We put the dishes in the nook and went on a city tour for the day. When we got back we ordered dinner to the room, 2 more Cesar salads. When they came they were covered in cheese. My wife called room service and was treated rather rudely. When she brought up the fact she was told it was to be noted not to give us dairy she was told she should have asked for no cheese and it was her fault. Regardless it’s lettuce and chicken how hard is it to just send another salad?
We called our concierge but he was gone so we decided to wait till the morning and talk to him. Thursday morning came and I showed Noe the mess outside our room. A day and a half worth of dirty dishes and glasses piled up outside our room and in the nook. He couldn’t stop apologizing to us. He said everything would be fixed and finally the electric on the roof to.
Thursday, we decided, would be spent at one of the infinity pools downstairs. While in the pool I lost my wedding ring. We were both frantic looking for it. A manager came over and asked what was wrong. My wife explained what happened and he said he would have someone come over and vacuum the pool for my ring. 25 minutes later I found it myself no one ever came to help like promised. After that, Noe came over to us with the chief of concierge Vania Castro and the food and beverage manager Enrique Ramirez. They listened to all we had to say and promised us both that everything would be straightened out.
That night we went to Canto del Mar your French restaurant. After waiting 20 minutes for a table we were allowed to go back to the restaurant. Now I’ll be the first to admit I did not realize it was formal and I was underdressed. I had jeans a white shirt and flip flops on. We were asked if we wanted to sit inside or outside and we chose inside at which point we were told we weren’t allowed because I didn’t meet the dress code. Why ask then? Why not give me the opportunity to go back to my room and change? We were told we could sit outside that they would make an exception. We said fine and as we were waiting for a table a gentleman walked wearing jeans, sneakers and a football jersey. What is your dress code?
At dinner we were asked twice about food allergies and twice my wife said no dairy, egg plant or zucchini. When our main courses arrived she had zucchini on her plate. When we asked the manager of the restaurant about it he said we never said she had any food allergies. We decided we were done and got up and left we didn’t want desert. As we were walking back to our room the manager chased us down and got in my wife’s face and started arguing about what had just happened. Now this was taking place in front of the main bar on the second level in front of other guests. This was the final straw. We went back to our room with a couple we met from New York to have a couple of drinks on the roof and the electricity still did not work.

The next morning our coffee was in the nook and the dishes from the previous day were on the ground in front of our room. Clearly nothing we addressed with Enrigue and Vania was fixed. My wife called and requested to speak to Vania. She was in a meeting and we were told she would be given the message we were looking for her. We got dressed and went to the concierge desk and waited for her. After letting her know what happened at the restaurant the evening before and about the electricity and dishes she told us she would have the hotel manager Ignacio Mendoza get in touch with us. We went back to our room where we were told he would meet us. He never showed up and instead met us at the spa where we had an appointment for a couple’s massage. He sat and listed to all we had to say and asked to meet us in our room after our massage. We said fine and after we were done headed back to our room. On the way to our room we stopped at the Barefoot Grill and ordered lunch and a couple of drinks to be delivered to our room. Mr. Mendoza was waiting for us at our room and we sat down to talk about our week. While talking our lunch was delivered but as usual there was a problem. We both ordered chicken sandwiches and they were left off the order so the waiter had to go back and get them.
At least it happened when Mr. Mendoza was in the room so he could get an idea of part of what we went through. When all was said and done Mr. Mendoza offered to refund us our couples massage, our dinner that night on the roof and one night of our stay. We didn’t feel this was a reasonable compensation for the money we spent and the service we received, the fact we were charged up front, because it was our honeymoon and the way my wife was treated by the manager of Canto del Mar. We told Mr. Mendoza he could do that for us but we were still going to follow up on the matter once we got home. His response was he would compensate us for the massages and dinner on the roof but not our last night there because we were planning on following up on the matter when we got home.
Our electricity was finally fixed on our last night there. The dinner on the roof top was nice and probably one of the high points of the trip. It’s a shame to be charged all that money and to be given such poor service. We almost feel as though we were scammed because we paid up front and now we can’t get our money back because we clearly didn’t get what we paid for. Also, this was our honeymoon something you’re supposed to remember forever. It’s sad we want to forget more than half of it. We would appreciate it if someone could contact my wife or I to further discuss this matter as we don’t feel it is fair we had to pay for something that clearly wasn’t what was promised us.
Thank you for taking the time to read this and we hope to hear from someone soon.

It took 3 more e-mails and 3 months to get the same result 1 night comped and nothingelse. I wouldn't waist my money for just a view there are other resorts nearby.

Room Tip: use another resort
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
ChiquiChiqui
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

My husband and I stayed here Jan. 14-19, 2013. It was our first time in Cabo and we had a wonderful time! I would have to say that all of our encounters with staff at the resort were positive. Sure, there were some who delivered better service than
others, but we never had bad service.
The rooms were spacious, clean and well appointed. We were on the 5th floor and it was great. We really enjoyed starting our day by enjoying the coffee, fruit and pastries delivered each morning on the patio while watching whales and tuna in the ocean.
We thought the breakfast buffet, while not huge or with as many choices as some resorts we have been to, was really good. All of the meals we had were really good. I would agree with previous reviews that the Sea Bass and Ceviche are excellent! And we really enjoyed Spice!
There are so many little things that set this resort apart from many, We definately would return.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

WHAT A LOAD OF NONSENSE! Try as I might, this place does not serve the top shelf, all-inclusive drink in a coconut! Yeah, I mean once you get past the sheer beauty of the hotel (guess I missed the peeling paint, bugs and murderous bloodstains) the excellent staff and the more than tasty food, this place is a total let down. Seriously, why did they build right of the coast and then have the audacity to put stairs from the resort to a beach you can't swim in? I place the full blame of me not being able to safely swim on the hotel management. They should add sand bar or something. OH and don't get me started on the weather. The sunrise was incredibly distracting; I was just trying to rest and the bright red skies would just pour into my ocean view room. SO ANNOYING!

In case you're thick, are seriously lacking a sense of humor or don't speak English very well you haven't picked up on my sarcasm. This place was amazing. The hotel, specifically the rooms, are immaculate and stunning. True, you can't swim in the water just at the end of the resort, but if you go into the pool, its basically the same without the prospect of death due to riptide. Granted, we didn't try the spa and didn't try to leave the resort (see: State Department Travel Advisory and everything was free as the the resort), but I really didn't see much reason to. Canto Del Mar is your traditional French, four-course meal with big plates and little portions. The food was very well done. Vista Bellianas (sp?) hosts the best breakfast buffet I had in a long while and trust me when I say I know my breakfast buffets. Spice is good if you are into the fad of "sushi" and like "fresh fish". The fellas down at the pool will serve any drink you can think of and few that you can't (aka Hector Special). There is plenty to keep you busy in the hotel and a walk on the beach is also very nice. If you see my new friend Leo down at the mansions near the Westin, tell him I say, "Hey bro".

Now down to brass tax (Cockney slang for facts). Past reports, as well as pictures, do the place justice for beauty. You CAN drink the bottled water with the ice as they have purified their own water. I accidentally took a swig in the shower on day one, but avoided a nasty visit from Montezuma, so I'm sold on the validity or either their system or my stomach. The pool was nice and although not crowded during our stay, we were able to claim a prime spot. I would recommend staying here and more then likely will again. Here's hoping they finally get some coconuts to serve a drink or two in.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Southern California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

This resort is poorly managed. The rooms were less than acceptable, issues with bugs and cleanliness.
Food is ok.
For the price and location you are not getting a value. You definitely need a car if you want to go anywhere.
Paint is peeling from the ceiling at the entrance way.
You can't swim in the ocean here. A look but can't touch situation.
Not a fun experience. Would not recommend.
The wait staff in the restaurants could never get an order correct. We would constantly be ignored. Our waiter went to lunch in midst of our order.Had to speak with management several times - nothing ever got better.

Room Tip: Stay at another property.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Kitchener, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

This property is amazing! I would go back in a heartbeat. The service, the food and the amenities are probably the best I've ever had the pleasure of sampling! If you want to treat yourself to an amazing trip...this is the property you should go to. Make sure you try the cucumber mojito :)

Room Tip: Ocean view is beautiful but the waves are loud at night...I love this sound but could be disruptive...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013 via mobile

This hotel by far exceeded our expectations everything was finished up until last detail. Rooms were cleaned during the day and than furring dinner. Food was the best we have ever tasted. Specially French restaurant . We had great time , felt likelihood dollars vacation. Thank you secrets

• Stayed January 2013

Been to Marquis Los Cabos? Share your experiences!