“Love Los Cabos!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Secrets Marquis Los Cabos

Save Saved
You added Secrets Marquis Los Cabos to your Saves list
Secrets Marquis Los Cabos
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Transpeninsular Km 21.5 | Fraccionamiento Cabo Real, San Jose del Cabo 23400, Mexico (Formerly Marquis Los Cabos)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Hot Hot Hot Promotion!!
Ranked #12 of 39 hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Drummondville
“Love Los Cabos!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

My boyfriend and I had the chance to stay here from Nov26th-Dec3rd and we loved it.
We loved the fact that all the restaurants had outdoor seating and the service was amazing!
We had stayed at Zoetry last year, Secrets is a bit livelier but not so much so that you are disturbed all the time. No loud music or drunken idiots in the pool!
I was a bit nervous about the food (had read a few negative reviews) but I have to admit that we never had a bad meal!
Our favorite was the Grill and I didn't care all that much about the "italian".
All rooms face the ocean and you can hear the waves crashing at night, which makes for a nice lullaby....
Wish I was still there!!!

Room Tip: all rooms are ocean front!!!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

681 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (300)
Easton, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

My husband and I just returned from our 10 day stay at Secrets Marquis. This was our first time to Cabo. We normally travel to the Riviera Maya for most of our trips, so this was a welcomed change of location. We have stayed at Royal Hideaway, Secrets Maroma, Excellence Playa Mujeres, and Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita all within the last 3 years. All of these resorts are beautiful, but we especially love the Secrets Brand as we are both adults with no kids and like the adults only atmosphere. Below is my review of the Secrets Marquis:

Location
The hotel is located only about a 25 minute ride from San Jose Del Cabo Airport. Cabo itself is a well kept area therefore the ride is smooth and picturesque. A word about the airport, it is a small airport and you generally deplane out on the tarmac. As you walk out of the airport you will get hit with all of the people who claim to know where your ride is. They are very slick at making themselves seem legit so please just ignore them and walk straight out to the exterior of the airport. The transportation reps will be waiting right outside the doors and will have signs that advertise which Company/Resort they are with.

Rooms
Rooms are beautiful and spacious. We had a slight problem our first day. The resort was at 100% capacity the week before we arrived (Thanksgiving week) so they put us in a room with two doubles instead of a king as we had booked. Then they moved us to a room on the side of the hotel with a king bed, but the view was slightly obstructed. They moved us the next day once others had checked out, and we had a perfect room. Bed is not too bad, not too soft and not too hard. You might want some extra pillows. The TV is a tube TV and there is no iPod docking station, just a CD player so don’t bring your iPod. All of the rooms are pretty much ocean view/front, but the best views are at the very front of the hotel on the higher floors. This way you can see the sun rise and set all from your balcony. The higher up you are as well the better view of the ocean you have which increases your chances of seeing the Whales when they are in season. Each morning they drop off 4 pastries and a small plate of fruit with coffee. Very nice, but unnecessary if you prefer the breakfast buffet or al a carte options. The in-room minibar has sodas, water and beer – no wine or other liquors. There are some Pringles, nuts and M&M’s for your snacking needs.

Beach
The beach is absolutely stunning here. My husband and I prefer this beach over many in Riviera Maya. Yes there are waves and you definitely have to use caution going into the water in front of the hotel, but right in front of the Hilton which is about a 15 minute walk to the left of the resort is the perfect cove for swimming. You still get some smaller waves but it makes it fun. The water is a bluish green color, but so crystal clear. There was not an ounce of seaweed on the sand or in the water during our stay. The beach is extremely clean – no garbage or debris whatsoever. The hotels are not combing the beach at all either so this must be a natural cleanliness to the beach. You can walk for miles in either direction of the hotel. George Clooney and Cindy Crawford have houses to the left of the resort. The houses are not extraordinary by any means, but their location is to die for.

The food during our first day was concerning. We arrived on a Saturday and chose to do the Mexican Buffet. I found the options minimal and somewhat tasteless. Especially compared to the food at Secrets Maroma. For the rest of the trip however we were very pleased. Overall the buffet at breakfast has decent, but limited options, they serve nachos and refried beans etc with breakfast which I have a hard time imagining eating so early in the morning, but the hash browns and fruit/cheese stations are excellent. On a couple of days they also had an omelets station which was pretty good. They also offer an a la carte option for breakfast which we did not try. The options looked ok.

The Grille and Vista Bellenas has excellent food at night. The French restaurant was good, but again their options were not to my liking. We never tried Dos Mares it was mostly seafood, and Spice was good but did not exceed my expectations. All of the sushi has some form of cream cheese in it, I did not mind, but my husband did not like it. The hibachi table was ok, mostly a meat/fish and some vedge. No rice with your meal so it really is not overly filling for those with large appetites. Our favorite was Vista Bellenas which is the breakfast place on mornings. Their menu is a combination of Italian and International options and had the most variety to choose from. The food was consistently good too. We ate there on four of the nights. The only thing I noticed is that some of the waiters were good at taking your orders but as soon as you asked them for anything specific, they did not seem to understand. I do believe some of them know the bare minimum English – they know the menu, coffee tea and some of the basics. This was just a few of the waiters not the majority by any means.

Oh lunches were excellent – try the chicken tacos, chicken quesadillas, or pretty much anything. The food was very good at lunch as well.

Pools
Beautiful pools – the one to the left of the hotel is heated and the one to the right is cold/colder. The pool chairs fill up very quickly so if you have a select location you like, get out there early. My husband and I tried to get one of 4 favorite spots one morning and 6:30 a.m. and they were ALL reserved. Everyone is big on reserving their chairs there, then getting breakfast, so expect it and do as everyone does if you want the best spots. There is no pool bar and honestly I don’t think I saw a single person go in the main pool in the center of the resort. Everyone hangs out at the infinity pools which are beach front. Oh – there are 5-6 vendors that hang out daily at the area in front of the infinity pool. They will whistle at you to get your attention to buy their wares, but overall they are not pushy. They will sell wooden trinkets, jewelry, cover-ups, dishes, and hats. They are carrying everything in their arms so their selections are limited. I feel bad for them standing out there all day, but hey they must make a profit so they keep doing it. Oh a little advice for the women, I hear the silver is not good quality from them, that you must go into town to get good silver if you want it. The hotel does not have vendors come on site like some others do, so you do need to go to town if you are looking for a better selection. Town BTW is about 20 minutes in either direction for Cabo, or San Jose. About $20-25 bucks each way. The pool service is excellent, and frequent. Gerardo is one of our favorite pool boys, funny, and on the ball with everything. If you are not careful, he will get you liquored up.

Bars
This was one area that my husband and I felt could use improvement. Keeping in mind that we are comparing this resort to their sister resorts – Secrets Maroma and Zoetry, as well as some of the others, the bar selections were minimal. We expected a lot more liquor selections than was present, but overall they did have the basics, Bacardi, Tequila – 1800, Herradura, etc., Rum, Baileys, Pucker, Liquor 49, etc. Their sister hotels have a lot more selections. The other issue we noticed is that some of the repeat drinks we ordered were not made consistently – Bloody Mary’s (or Bloody Ceasars), Long Island Iced Teas, Mai Tais etc. All very different based upon who was making it. I would definitely suggest that this hotel have some recipes that their bartenders can stick to when making drinks. (Sorry – my husband is a bartender, we could not help but notice). The house wine is an Antares from Chile. The white and the red are very acidic and I found myself having acid reflux on a couple of nights. You can get better selections if you ask, but you might have to pay for it. While this is probably the most negative part of my review, overall it would not stop me from going back. They try very hard and will do whatever to please you so if you want something different, stronger, or bigger, they will make it.

Cleanliness
Overall the hotel is extremely clean. Although this hotel was acquired by Secrets it does not look OLD by any means. The staff does an exceptional job keeping the grounds clean and well manicured. There was a problem with the main bathrooms by the pool on a couple of days, but they eventually got everything back in order.

Staff
As mentioned above, the staff does an excellent job to accommodate. They remember your names too which I found very impressive considering all of the guests they must come into contact with. Elias at Vista Bellenas was wonderful and Ricardo at the front desk. We heard that many of the locals who work here have monthly contracts so they rely on the feedback from guests to get their contracts extended and to get small bonuses. So please say a good word for your favorite people when you are checking out. It goes a long way.

Weather
OMG what can I say about the weather! PERFECT, CLOUDLESS, RAINLESS DAYS. Slight breeze, 85 during the day, 70 at night (Bring a light sweater). My husband was so impressed with the weather we are actually considering moving there in the next 3 years or so. The sunrises and sunsets are beautiful. We took an early morning walk 6:00 a.m. and watched the sun rise on the beach. There was a slight chill in the air, but the ocean was perfectly warm. LOVED IT – DEFINITELY OUR FAVORITE LOCATION!

Flights
Flights from Newark were reasonable – 4.5 to 5 hours long. Price wise they are higher than expected, but if you are flexible on your travel dates you can find cheaper prices. I managed to get flights at $1100 for both of us round trip direct vs. $1600 that was posted on line for specific dates.

Other
The Resort overall had a lot of 30 something’s and up. Not the place for 20 something’s. They might be bored out of their minds. There is not a ton of activities at this resort either, especially with no pool bar, casino, or night club. The staff definitely tries, but I would say this Resort is best if you are looking for a low key vacation, which we were.

The only other mentionable was the overall temperament of the guests here. A lot of Canadians, Chicago, California guests. No offense to my east coast family, but people were so much friendlier than what we have encountered before in Riviera Maya and Cancun.

One more item – we met quite a few people that have stayed at the Marquis de los Cabos before it was acquired by Secrets. Overall they found that the quality and service was still very good to excellent. So Secrets does not appear to be a step in the wrong direction for those of you who are curious about the transition.

So anyway, in closing. I highly recommend this resort. We will be back again in April. This has definitely confirmed that Cabo is a prime location for us, but that Secrets continues to be one of our favorites. Feel free to write me if you have any specific questions about our stay.

Chantelle

Room Tip: Ask for th 5th floor near the center of the resort. Best views for sunrise and sunset!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
San Jose, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

I spent 5 days in this resort with more than hundred friends and family to attend a wedding. It was one of the most memorable of my vacations. I am not sure if I can survive 5 days just as a couple in this resort, there is really not much to do except lie by the pool, eat and drink and walk on the beach. For everything else you need to arrange a ride to Los Cabos which can be costly since it is a 20 minutes ride. There are 3 restaurants on the resort so that can get boring and you want to try something else. The rooms are very nice and all have great ocean view. The infinity pools are marvelous. this is an all inclusive resort.

Room Tip: try to get a room from 3rd floor up.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

My wife and I originally booked our vacation at Dreams but were moved to Secrets as it was overbooked. Secrets is a beautiful resort always with a nice breeze off the Sea of Cortez. Our room was spacious and very clean with a jacuzzi tub and ocean view. The service was amazing at all the restaraunts and around the pools. I want to personally thank David Talavera, the front desk manager, who looked after us when there was a problem with our reservation made by Dreams two days before our departure. We would suggest some live music though for dancing and perhaps a piano bar.

Room Tip: All are ocean view.
Chicago,IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

This place was amazing, but the employees made the stay even better. The rooms were amazing and the food was as well. We had a honeymoon suite and I really did not want to leave the room especially since I had 24 hour room service!!!! There was really no nightlife at the hotel but with a 5-10 minute ride into town you can get all of the noise you want.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thousand Oaks, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

I must say that I was blown away with my vacation. I'm always a bit leery to trust other reviews since we all have different opinions. But, for me, this was as good as it gets. My wife and I had an amazing and relaxing time.

I was most concerned about the food but it was another pleasant surprise. I'm a bit of a food snob and I have eaten at some of the best restaurants in the world. You are not going to get world class food at an all-inclusive. That's just a fact. But what we got here was good quality and well-prepared food. Even the buffets were good. Surprisingly so.

The movies they showed on the huge projector along with Monday Night Football and cocktails was awesome and very unexpected.

The staff was friendly and very accommodating. Not because they had to be. Because it was genuine. So attentive and gracious. I didn't want to leave.

Spice was actually very good. Our chef, Jaime was a treat. Great sense of humor and personality. And the Teppan table was a great touch. You have to make a reservation for the table, but not the restaurant. And if you want to know a secret, half the people didn't show up to their reservation so you can always double check to see if there is space open.

I's also recommend making sure you get an activities list every day. It will help to figure out what's going on every day.

The rooms were awesome. The only issue was that the toilet and shower were a bit close and there wasn't a real door on it. So, one of us had to go out onto the balcony every time someone needed to use it.

And the room service cubby holes were great. We had coffee and fruit delivered first thing every morning.

I get that some people have bad experiences but ours was nothing short of amazing. Every part of it. Feel free to ask me questions if I missed something. We are already planning a trip back for next year...

Room Tip: Every room is good...
montreal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

to start off..it is my 3th time at a secrets resorts! it does not compare to secrets maroma beach.The view is a amazing and the pools are awsome.The service was ok and the food not quite to par with secret chains! Their menus are limited and their is no real buffet to eat at for lunch and dinner! the rooms are beautiful and spacious with a great view but the beds are too hard! i did not sleep for a week! The pools are should be heated,i would think twice to jump in!The grounds are well kept and the ocean is really rough! the spa was nothing to right home too,al in all it was a nice vacation but the resort needs to improve!

Room Tip: All rooms have ocean view!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Secrets Marquis Los Cabos? Share your experiences!