“Different From Other Secrets Resorts” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Secrets Marquis Los Cabos

Save Saved
You added Secrets Marquis Los Cabos to your Saves list
Secrets Marquis Los Cabos
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Transpeninsular Km 21.5 | Fraccionamiento Cabo Real, San Jose del Cabo 23400, Mexico (Formerly Marquis Los Cabos)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #11 of 39 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
St. Louis, MO
“Different From Other Secrets Resorts”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

My husband and I traveled to Cabo for a 7 night vacation. We decided to split our trip up at two different hotels. We decided to do this so we could be close to downtown / marina the first three nights and then further out for the last four to really relax and take in the amenities of Secrets. There were a few kids at this adult’s only resort as they were still offering booked vacations when it was a different hotel. However, I have to say, these kids were very well behaved and really did not notice they were there. Still, it is an adult’s only resort.

Reception:
Upon our arrival at Secrets we were greeted friendly and had a quick check in. We were offered a glass of champagne and a cool towel. Our room was not yet ready (we arrived around 11:00 am) so we took our swimwear and headed for the pool.

Pools:
Arriving at 11:00 on our first day, we were able to find lounge chairs by the pool. It was great that not everyone got up at the crack of dawn to run down and put items out to hold chairs. Typically we went down around 9:00 to the pool area and there were plenty of loungers to pick from. There are three pools on property. The largest one is on the left side of the resort as you face the ocean. However, the one on the right side is very nice as well, just a tad bit smaller. Each of these pools is infinity edge pools and is beautiful! From the looks of the pictures I thought they would be too small, but they are NOT. The third pool is the one in the middle that is mostly in the shade and holds the volleyball net and water aerobics. The pool weather was perfect! I believe these pools were heated. Please know this is not like a typical Secrets and they DO NOT provide rafts / floats in the pool. If you are interested in having one, you will want to pack a blow up one in your suitcase.

Pool Service:
The wait staff around the pool were wonderful! No need for a swim up bar with these men working as hard as they do. Not only would they serve you drinks and food at your lounge chair, if they saw you trying to move something or put up an umbrella, they would come over immediately and help. Great service and pampering.

Beach:
Like most parts of Cabo, the beach is un-swimmable here. It is a nice large beach. There are vendors on the beach that will come close to the pool. So if you do want to buy something you don’t necessarily have to go in Cabo (as it is 30-35 minutes away). As you exit the back stairs of the resort to the beach, there are some large rock formations towards the Hilton Hotel. Take 10 minutes to walk down there and see this area. It is very beautiful and you can get into the ocean here. The entertainment committee also provides a morning walk down there if you want additional exercise with a group of people.

Restaurants:
What can I say about the restaurants? I was not overly impressed with the food. It was not great but it was not bad either. We have traveled to a couple other Secrets resorts and this one just did not seem up to par with the others. However, on our last night we did try the restaurant down by the Barracuda bar that is outside and it was fantastic. I had the shrimp salad and sea bass….delicious.

Bar:
There is one bar that is open at night. When I read other reviews about the lack of entertainment, there is more than just a lack….it is non-existent. The bar has 5 bar stools and is fairly small. There is no entertainment directly at the bar. There is a person that is singing further away but it is so slow and mellow. They need to invest in lively music, engagement by the bartenders with the patrons and extend their bar. There are 2 TV’s in the bar area, however only one TV was being utilized and it was in Spanish. This was during the World Series and Monday Night Football. I would assume most of their guests are English speaking and they should invest in an English speaking sports channel. Get rid of the large statues that are taking up too much space in the bar area as well and make it more inviting.

Rooms:
The rooms were large and comfortable. The air worked better than other places we have gone in Mexico. Amenities were good and plenty. No complaints on the room. We had good service and our refrigerator was stocked daily. They did bring coffee and fruit each morning and put it in your private locker area outside your room. This was a nice touch.

Overall, as a person in her early 40’s would I return to Secrets Marquis, I am not sure yet. Did I have a fantastic time while there….most definitely…but it was very quiet. If I am in Cabo again, I think I will stay somewhere closer to Cabo or San Jose so I can experience the culture more. No big complaints about the hotel. I am a pool person and the pools were fantastic! Go, enjoy and relax.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (342)
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

We stayed at the Secrets Marquis for 6 days in Nov, and I can't say enough good things about Secrets Marquis. It was our first time at an all inclusive, and Secrets fulfilled all our expectations. The food is delicious at all the restaurants. I recommend the ceviche, scallop salad, and seafood fettuccine at Dos Mares. And the french and new asian restaurants are amazing too -- make sure you try the teppanyaki dining at Spice. The service is top notch, and the staff tries to make your experience as enjoyable and relaxing as possible. The drinks were tasty, and the wait staff can recommend drinks if you let them know which liquor you prefer (try a Paloma). The rooms were comfortable with beautiful views. The resort has excellent yoga instructors at the resort, among a lot of other activities. And you can't swim in the ocean directly in front of the hotel, but we walked up to the Hilton property to go swimming in a cove (waves are still big with some undertoe currents). The only thing I would warn is if/when you're booking a taxi with the concierge, double check the price with both the concierge and taxi driver. We went to downtown Cabo, and the taxi driver charged us more than the concierge told us. I highly recommend Secrets Marquis to anyone wanting a relaxing beach vacation with first class amenities and service.

Room Tip: All rooms face the ocean, so I don't think you can get a 'bad' room.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

We had a great time. But had some problems when we checked in. We are UVC members since 2010 and many times we run into the same problem with the free upgrade. We checked into the hotel and asked if there was an OF available, the recep said yes, we asked to see it, we saw it. When we came back to the front desk, the recep said there were no upgrades available which we argued since we just saw one and that she was clearly lyong to us. we could upgrade but we would have to pay for it. Am resorts should train their employees at these resorts better so they are aware UVC members get a free upgrade if available. We finally got our upgrade but had to request to see the mgr.
the resort is great. Great service especially. Food was great most of the time. French restaurant was the best. Spice still has to work out their quirks since it just recently opened. The tepanyaki chefs were very new. The sushi was ok. Dont expect great sushi, they just dont have it. The italian restaurant and seafood restaurant were pretty good. Most of the time it delivered. Went on the pub crawl 2 times. They go to the same places, nowhere bar, pink kitty, mandalla & squid roe. All pretty much the same. The djs stink at these bars, unless u like trans music. The pink kitty djs must have ADD. They cannot play a song more than 30 seconds. They finally after 10 songs play a decent one and by the time u get to the dance floor, they're playing a different song.
Back to the resort, the pools are great, right next to the beach so u can hear the pounding of the waves while youre tanning at the pool. What a great set up. Dont but the silver from the beach peddlers (not real) but you can get the low down from the servers who were all great. The rooms were pretty spacious with all the good amenities. Went to see dreams and zoetry as well. We did not like zoetry. The resort which is supposed to be a boutique quaint hotel is right in the middle of a huge condominium complex and the owners can use the zoetry amenities. The rooms are too far from the ocean so dont count on hearing the waves. The restaurants were ok but nothing great.
We will stay at secrets marquis again. Plusses: service, food, pool, drinks, decor, surroundings, close to ocean. Minuses: check in, spice, pay for wifi, tv old, cant swim in ocean, even though they say u can eat at zoetry, we stayed 11 days and could not and we were UVC members.

• Stayed November 2012
Bloomington, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Very laid back resorts with first class treatment! The Asian restaurant has great sushi and first class treatment. The poolside service was also outstanding. All of the rooms/suits have an great view of the pools and the ocean. Nice beach to take a walk on but not many chairs provided by the resort to sit beachside I guess that's because of all the vendors that approach you to try and sell you their goods but they are courteous if you decline. Overall great place to spend a week or a long weekend!

Stayed November 2012
Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

We were at Secrets Marquis Los Cabos in from Oct 13-21 2012. We had some bad weather 2 days but that was not the resorts fault. They worked their butts off the try and keep everyone happy with the bad weather.

We have been to all inclusives all over the Caribbean and Mexico. We came here for our 10 year anniversary. We thought it was very nice and quite. If you want to party, go into town.

Service: Very good from the pool side service, room service and the service at the restaraunts. Hector, at the pool, had a fresh drink ready for me with out even asking. The service at the main bar was great. Room service was timely and the food was hot.

Views: Beautiful. The beach is very nice to walk. The views from the infinity pools are like a post card.

Rooms: Nice. The house keeping was very good. Turn down service every night that we went out. We used our do not disturb sign quite often and house keeping would call to make sure we didn't need anything.

Quite: This resort is very quite and relaxing. When they did play music at the pool it was nice quite jazz type music.

Food: Good. Some items were better than others. The French restaurant was our favorite for dinner. We ate at Zoetry one night. That was very good. The food served pool side was great for pool side lunch food. I was not a fan of any of the buffets but I usually do not care for buffets anyway. I recommend the ala carte breakfast and lunch.

Overall, I think Secrets Los Cabos is as nice as any all inclusive, adults only resort. It is on the quite side so if you want to party, go somewhere else. If you want to relax in a beautiful setting with good service, this is the place.

Welland, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We just returned from Los Cabos on November 9, 2012. After many hours of searching and reading reviews from others, we decided to stay at the Secrets Marquis in Los Cabos. We needed a resort that would offer everything, however needed something small enough to get around since I just had surgery. This vacation was the perfect setting!

We booked through Sunwing, it was a direct flight leaving Toronto on November 2 at 6:15am. . We landed 1/2 hour early in Cabo. The airport in Cabo is great. Got through customs and was on our within half hour. Funny thing at their airport though, you need to push a button, it's a random search thing they do...if it's red you go to side table and they open your suitcase and go through everything. Luckily, we both were green.

Bus ride to airport was about 25 minutes. When we arrived at our hotel, the view was outstanding. The photos on here do it justice. The Lobby open, clean and very inviting. Only two couples got off, so we were escorted to our room quickly and efficiently. The bellmen went through explaining everything, then we tipped and he left. Did I fail to mention this is an adult only resort.

Our room 406 was beautiful. The bathroom spotless, beautiful and spacious. The bed very comfortable and the closet space crazy good. Our view from our balcony was fabulous. The television stations stunk...not that we watched much tv but when getting ready for dinner and going to bed at night we did. Watch a lot of Big Bang Theory.lol

The main restaurant is the Vista Ballenas has buffet breakfast daily, the occasional buffet dinner, but mostly a la carte eating. The food was good, I don't like seafood, but if you do, you will love it. Spice is the Japanese restaurant...not my liking. Canto del Mar serving mediterranean-french cuisine was delicious, the service class A. Dos Mares and the Barefoot grill we ate from daily at lunch. Your pool side waiters would get you anything you needed from either of these restaurants. There was no need to leave your lounge chair. The service at the pool was extraordinary. The wait staff go out of their way to make you feel special and at home. Coco Cafe served coffee, frozen coffee and snacks. Needless to say my husband visited this cafe daily.

The pools and cold water jacuzzis are great. The two main pools are infinity pools overlooking the Sea of Cortez...awesome. The Sea of Cortez is very rough no swimming infront of the hotel, however you can walk to the right and there is a bay where you can go dip in the sea if wanted. On one day we saw a group of whales...it was amazing. Usually the whales don't come till December but somehow they are early this year. Spectacular to see...which they were a little closer, my camera couldn't get a good shot.

Bar and Lounge area was good. Hung out there a few nights with some great couples we met.

We have stayed at the Secrets Excellence in Punta Cana back in 2004...if I were to compare the two, Resort at Punta Cana was much better all round except for the scenery. Los Cabos has the scenery and desert heat, no humidity.

Overall, my husband and I were pleased with the resort. Would we go back again? To Cabo absolutely, to this resort probably not. I would like to try DREAMS which is a sister hotel to Secrets.

One more thing...the walls are thick and you can't hear anything or anyone on the other side!!!

Room Tip: Pay a little extra and get the front view rooms...The higher the level the better...5th floor is the...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Vacaville, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

Lot's of reviews.... but seriously... you have to experience it yourself! More then I expected. Service is exceptional, Food is awesome! (i like a bit more spice, but, gotta go with the majority) They have NINE different seviches to choose from... the poolside service is exceptional! ALL ocean front rooms... decorated beautifully.... and very spacious!!! When you arrive, they do offer you a time share spiel that is not there at the resort… but, they are not pushy. If you don’t want to do this, then a no thank you is good enough for them!
They opened a new restaurant while we were there and we went back the next day! The French restaurant... quaint and romantic! cut my steak with a fork...yup! The bar service.... what ever you ask for, they have..ALL top shelf! I would love to see a Latin area though where they play some Latin music. The entertainment was good, but a place to dance to would be nice. We went to town twice and I tell you... save some $$$, cross the street and hop on the bus going to town for $2 dls/person... Cabo is one of the safest places to travel to, so don’t be scared. The waiters are paid little to nothing… so be generous with your tips if you are able!!!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Jr suite and loved it.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Secrets Marquis Los Cabos? Share your experiences!