“Generally an OK place” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Solaris Los Cabos

Save Saved
You added Royal Solaris Los Cabos to your Saves list
Royal Solaris Los Cabos
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd. San Jose | Campo de Golf, San Jose del Cabo 23410, Mexico   |
Ranked #21 of 39 hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Leeds, UK
“Generally an OK place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2007

We booked to go here in Nov 06 and as usual visited trip advisor. Reviews ok so we booked it. Prior to visiting in July I read the reviews again for any tips etc. I couldn't believe the wide range in reviews from brilliant to very poor. I was somewhat concerend that our choice of hotel would be a major mistake. Here are my views. We are a British family of 3, with out 15 yr old son.

Hotel was very very clean indeed to the point of perfection. With all the food and drink around you would expect some mess, but none of it. As a result, NO bugs, flies, ants, cockroaches, wasps were seen at all. The maids were also very through indeed and the room were spotless. Hotel more like 3.5star, but certainly not 5 star.

The beds and pillows were a little on the hard side, but no great problem. Clean towels were left everyday.

Time share reps - I was scared to death of meeting the timeshare guys following reviews on Trip Advisor. On the whole no big deal here. Ok you are met by guest services on arrival (ie trimeshare guys) but they were helpful and helped to fast track check in. Also, you dont have to attend the presentation, but we did. Got $100, plus entry to theme nights on site, discount ATV tour, 20% discount at Spa, so no bad thing. They tried to close a deal 3 times, but each time we said a definate no and they acepted this. They certainly did not treat us a second class citizens thereafter, as some reviewers suggested. We own timeahare anyway, so knew the protocol.

Food & Drink - Drinks were ok, but probably watered down, Resort owners got a better deal I think, but if you wanted more alocohol in your drink, you only had to ask. Food was also good, with plenty of variety to go at. Ok it gets a bit stale after a while., but food was good quality and always fresh. We had no stomach problems while we were there. Resort owners also had access to special events, so everyone else may feel like 2nd class citizens at time, but again no big deal. 2 a la carte restuarants on site, but need to book on the day at 8am. Dont wait while 8.10 as they will be booked up, so hang on the phone at 7.55am. This can be a pain but we found the restuarants ok at best. We dined out in San Jose 3 nights and can recommend La Panga and Morgans for fine dining $200 for meal for 2 with wine was good value and food was excellant. Cheaper was La Dolce Pizzeria on the Plaza which was also very good

Service was always very good and always with a smile.

Day Trips - Did the $69 snorkel trip which was very good indeed and good value. (There were about 20 on a catamaran so good numbers and good food./drink) - dont go on the big boat trip with 100 other guests- too many people). ATV tour was ok, but after a 1 1/2 hour drive (inc pick ups) was a long day for 2hrs on ATVS. If you like typical Mexico, visit San Jose. For more life ( and very much a taste of America) visit Cabo San Lucas, which is more commercial with a nice Marina, shops and bars/restaurants. At times the marina reminded me of Fort Lauderdale.

Entertainment - usual fare, but the entertainment team worked very hard. Most seemed to be professional dancers/actors. There were plenty of them and lots going on during the day and evening.

SUMMARY - all in all a good holiday in a good hotel. Visit the area now as the developers are moving in big time, and the place will change a great deal. Out 15yr old son had the holiday of his life. He met so many people and youngsters of his age, who were all well behaved. All inclusive is not for everyone, but accept it for what it is.

Stayed July 2007

3,064 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (713)
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2007

First, I would like to say that before arriving at Club Solaris, I read all of the reviews and had my concerns due to some of them. I am not sure what happened with those people because I found all of their complaints to be false. I was actually never approached about buying a timeshare, the drinks were strong when asked to be strong and the food was decent for an all inclusive.

I went with a group of 6 people and recieved great service the entire trip. However, I am an RCI timshare owner, but not for this resort, but that may have been a difference

Addressing some of the past comments:

#1 Timeshare pushing:
As said I never experienced this hassle. Sure, I am an RCI owner, but not being from that hotel I expected the pitch, it NEVER happened

#2 Members Only Benefits
This is true, there are nights that there are members only benefits. However, the entire show and such was viewable by all, you jsut didn't get the special dinner. In my opinion, that is fair. People that pay for the timeshare, deserve to get certain amenities that non-members don't.

#3 Weak Drinks
Drinks are only weak when you don't ask for them strong in my experience. Everytime I asked for them strong, I got just what I asked for.

All in all, it was a decent experience. They have many activities to keep both kids and adults entertained. The staff is all pretty nice and helpful when they can. I wouldn't say it is better than any other all inclusive, but defintely no worse.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
nevada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2007

Well, I have to say if I have known this was another members/ time-share property disguise as an all-inclusive I would have never booked the trip. Upon our arrival a nice woman greeted us and took up 2 hours of our time telling us all the wonderful things to do at a special price that only members and since she was our check in person, there was no way around her. After a long day with many delays at the airport I was not very happy, however, she was nice a polite. Upon getting to our room, which we had paid an upgrade to have an ocean view, it did not. It had a balcony and if you extended your hear far out you could see the ocean. When we went to the front desk to inquire about our room, they stated that was a room with the ocean view. The one with the ocean front view was only for members. Yes, and I have to agree with another traveler that if you were not a member or bought what they sold you upon arrival, you were totally ignored. We had to even pay our own taxi to leave because the our welcoming hostess had forgotten to tell us that we had to book our return taxi trip within 24 hours of arrival. In addition, that information was nowhere to be found in all the material they provided upon arrival. Well, I have to say I paid pretty good money for the vacation and did not appreciate to be treated as a second-class guest. Also, the food was fair and the drinks horrible. I think all the drinks were virgin whether you requested them like such or not

• Stayed July 2007
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2007

My husband and I got married on June 23 and planned our honeymoon at the Royal Solaris Los Cabos. We had an early flight out of Chicago and had a connecting flight from Houston to Cabo. We arrived in Cabo around 1:00 in the afternoon. I was told to stay away from the time share people but we had no problem getting through the airport. We were greeted with Funjet and they took us to our hotel free of charge. We were able to get in our room right away. The rooms are very nice and clean. There are plenty of things to do while you are there. Each night they have a different activity. Like one night is casino night and they give you fake money to gamble with. There are beer chugging contest at the pool. They have karaoke nights and they also have a theater with a dinner. The food I thought was not the greatest. Breakfast is a buffet and was probably the best of all the places. For lunch I liked the snack bar. Things like hot dogs and hamburgers were served there. There is also a lunch place called Palapa Rosmarinus. They are both right by the pool area. The worst of them all was both dinner places. You have to make reservations for both places early for that day. One is called Panchos and the other is Marco Polo. We never got to eat at Marco Polo because they were booked everyday by 8:30 in the morning. Panchos does not have a nice variety to pick from and the food was not that good. The best part of the whole honeymoon was the Baja activities. You can sign up right at the hotel. We went horseback riding on the beach and took a jet ski and went snorkeling. They said that downtown San Jose was within walking distance. I wouldn't suggest it. In the hot sun its not a fun walk. To get to downtown Cabo is about 30 min and about a $35 cab ride one way. If you schedule at the hotel the day before you can take a bus for only $10 round trip. There are lots of things to do downtown Cabo. There is a nice mall and a marina right behind it. We took a little boat to see the famous arch. Over all, I would say that Cabo was a fun and beautiful place to go. The hotel was great. Just not the food. I would definetly recommend it . I hope this was helpful.

• Liked — The beach
  • Disliked — The food
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2007

We had a great week at Royal Solaris last week July 21-28th. I had read some negative reviews before we came, however the hotel and whole experience was wonderful. We traveled with several couple totaling 6 adults and 7 children. Everyone had a wonderful time. The children had a blast they swam in the pool and enjoyed the strawberry daquiris. The younger children enjoyed the children's slide and the older boys had fun doing the scuba diving. I would reccomend this hotel to anyone who is looking for a relaxing vacation. We would love to go to Cabo in the future and would stay at the Royal Solaris.

• Liked — Family atmosphere, many activites
  • Disliked — Wish it was closer to Cabo and the beach wasn't so rough
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Staten Island, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2007

Let me begin by saying I am not a Club Solaris member nor did I become one during my stay here. Our Guest Services rep (Camila) was great. The time-share euphemism was the “VIP Breakfast” which was mentioned TWICE during our entire stay. We politely declined and that was the end of it … no vultures in the lobby or anywhere else for that matter. All of the staff was friendly and attentive and I was impressed with their level of English. A respectful Buenos Dias or Gracias goes a long way … after all, we are visiting their country. Our room was neat and clean but could definitely use some updating (it also seemed damp sometimes). We did not pay for an ocean view room and received a city view, which was quite pretty from our balcony, especially late in the afternoon with the mountains in the distance turning colors. We did not eat at the buffet at the theater at all so I can’t comment on the food there or the shows. We ate at Panchos several times and had no trouble getting a reservation three times (we made a reservation in the afternoon twice). The fourth time we went was for the Spanish buffet when a reservation was not necessary. The food there was good and we liked the house wine, too. We ate at Marco Polo twice and it was wonderful (make sure you make your reservation as soon as the reservation desk opens (8:00 am) or you’ll be disappointed). The third time we tried to make a reservation, we were told that we were limited to two visits during our stay (we were not advised of this during check in and were a little annoyed but c’est la vie). We ate at the Italian Buffet at Café Solaris for our last evening at the resort and it was quite good (especially the pasta station). Breakfast at Café Solaris was fantastic. My favorite was the omelette station. There was just about every breakfast food imaginable. We never ate at Rosmarinus for lunch or dinner but did use the snack bar at the pool during the day. The snack bar was very good with lots of selections. My daughters loved coming out of the pool and being able to eat right away without having to get dry and dressed, etc. Speaking of the pool, it is beautiful and big. The depth is a little more than 4.5 feet throughout and there are various submerged shelves where you can lay in the water to take the sun. There is also a fountain at one end of the pool which all the kids especially liked. The drinks at the pool and beach bars were a bit weak and watered down. We found out during our last day that the drinks in the lobby bar were better. The beach is not swimmable. I had done some online research before we left and knew that already, however, there is a placard at the steps to the beach plus red flags here and there warning that it is dangerous … there is no big secret about it as some reviewers have mentioned. The resort is in San Jose del Cabo and I would have preferred being in Cabo San Lucas or at least closer to Cabo. It is a $35 (plus tip) cab ride to any activities in Cabo San Lucas. The next time I visit Cabo, I will definitely stay in Cabo proper, not because this resort wasn’t good but because the cab rides are expensive and inconvenient. The resort does have a shuttle to Cabo about three times per day, however the times are too structured and it is $10 per person each way (for our family of four, the shuttle and the cab were the same price). I think the resort should offer discounted or free shuttles to Cabo. There are various “Members Only” events. These people may have paid into a time share, etc but these “exclusive” events were to the point of segregation. I can only wonder if other resorts do this, too. All in all, we had a wonderful time here and it was a good value for an all-inclusive. We took a walk to San Jose del Cabo one day but didn’t explore much. There are two resorts under construction along the way and the Royal Solaris should seriously think about renovations or they’ll look a bit shabby next to these newcomers.

• Liked — The pool area
  • Disliked — The location
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Plano, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2007

Don't believe every negative thing you read!! We had a wonderful time at this resort and agree with one reviewer who said that all these negative reviews are written by people who probably complain all the time and are never happy with their lot in life. Overall, an excellent resort for the money, great for all ages (party people might prefer staying closer to Cabo San Lucas). Just remember to treat others as you would want to be treated!

Rooms - The rooms were large and comfortable and kept very clean by the staff. If you need more pillows, look in the closet! If you think it smells musty, you need to wake up & smell the ocean! Also, the water in the hotel is filtered so we didn't have to worry about getting sick.

Staff - I think everyone looked more than happy to be there and providing service, even before any tipping took place. We read their nametags and called hello to them every day, so they remembered us and were glad to help. I don't remember everyone's names, but Martin, Mario, Raphael, Raul, the bartenders, the waiters (esp. on the beach), the housekeeping staff, and the bellhops were always more than friendly and helpful. We did tip a dollar here & there--they work hard in that heat. When you add up air fare, hotel, 3-4 meals/day, drinks, service, etc., it far exceeds the inclusive fare you paid, so tipping was no big deal.

Timeshare/memberships - Yes, they will try to get you to join. Just say NO if you don't want to. But BE NICE. They are just doing their jobs! They will offer you free excursions if you attend the meeting, which we might have done if we had had more time and hadn't already booked our excursions.

Food - If you complain about the fact that the "members" get better choices and treatment, then by all means join! We were more than satisfied with the selections of food offered to us non-members. There was food available at every turn and at most hours of the day. Marco Polo was delicious, Cafe Solaris was a breakfast smorgasbord, and
the lunch options were varied, fresh, and delicious. NON-MEMBERS might have trouble getting a reservation before 9:00, but if you ask, they will accommodate. Also don't forget you can eat at the HUGE buffet at the theater every night (when there's a show), but you don't have to stay for the show, although they are very entertaining and well worth the time. We saw the Latin Dance night and enjoyed it very much.

Beach - Yes, the undertow is powerful and can be dangerous. Don't drink and swim! I found it much more satisfying to sit near the water and watch the waves battle each other in and out, something I don't ever get to see. I just sat back & appreciated the sound and the view. Be sure to bring an insulated cup to keep your drinks cold.

Excursions - We did the zip lines and the snorkeling at Santa Maria. The zip lines were so fun and the guides we had, LaLo and Pedro, were comedians who made it that much better. It was hot (you're in the desert...), and expect to climb quite a few steps/trails. But there is plenty of rest time and fresh bottled water. This activity ends with a tour of a tequila "factory," which is not a factory at all but a small open shed with a fake still where they tell you how tequila is made somewhere else. It lasts about 4 minutes and then you can sample some tequila (about 2 tbsp). Don't go up there just for the tequila tour; you will be disappointed.

Snorkeling at Santa Maria is not like other calmer places you might have seen. The water here in Los Cabos is rough, and there aren't a lot of fish to see compared to other reefs I've been to. Also, it becomes crowded around noon when charter boats start arriving & dumping out snorkelers by the dozens.

Horseback riding - Flag down Angel on the beach--he will give you a good deal (much better than if you book thru the hotel) and treat you well. Bring an apple for the horses!

This was a very relaxing, pleasing stay at a beautiful resort with lots to do or not do, nice people, great food. I would recommend to anyone!

• Liked — The staff and service
  • Disliked — Rough surf
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Royal Solaris Los Cabos? Share your experiences!