“Great value, nice balance.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Solaris Los Cabos

Save Saved
You added Royal Solaris Los Cabos to your Saves list
Royal Solaris Los Cabos
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd. San Jose | Campo de Golf, San Jose del Cabo 23410, Mexico   |
Ranked #21 of 39 hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Chicago, Illinois
“Great value, nice balance.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

We read the reviews on TripAdvisor before we went, and were grateful for the "know before you go" advice, as this is a combo owned timeshare-hotel stay property. True, membership has its benefits, but not a big deal at all. For those of us who stayed at the hotel, the service, food, and entertainment were WAY beyond our expectations. 40 different delicious beach drinks available at each bar (including the swim-up bar in the pool, canned and bottled beverages were provided each day in our room refrigerator at no extra charge, buffets were delicious, plentiful, widely varied and high quality. The beach was divine, and you could reserve a palapa any day (members or not) by placing your beach towels on chairs during sunrise. And there was continuous drink service on the beach, as well as at the pool! It's not a swimmer's beach, but there's a large sand bar and my teens body surfed all week there. The property and beach were spotless, well-maintained, beautifully managed, and we had a blast. Also, the town of San Jose del Cabo is walking distance and was a great getaway for local color, souvenir shopping and fun restaurants. I'd recommend this hotel to anyone who wants access to the excitement of Cabo San Lucas, but who also wants to stay at a place to chill on the off days.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Solaris H, Social Media Manager at Royal Solaris Los Cabos, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Thanks for all your comments about your stay here, we love to see all your experiences with Royal Solaris and we hope to see you soon again.

3,118 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (728)
Kaukauna, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

I was guest at the Royal Solaris from March 1 to March 10th. During this time there was a fire at the hotel ( March 3rd ). Due to the fire situation a brand new IPod was taken from my room.This occurred during the emergency evacuation. I was told that I would be contacted about my loss of property. At the time of check out, I filled out a property loss form. All my information was given at that time. Since then, I have tried to email, the email's bounce back. I sent a letter with all the required information, and received no response. I called and left information including my email address, again! As of today (April 4, 2013) I have not received an email confirming that this matter is being looked into. It was a very unfortunate situation, and all I want is resolution. Tripadvisor seems to be the only way to get a response from the Royal Solaris. It is unfortunate that a public forum has to be used.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Please accept my sincere apologies that your experience was interrupted because the fire incident. Respect to the stolen iPod, we hope you to contact to us at redessociales@hotelessolaris.com to proceed the claim, we are ready to give to you a response.

Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

I like to write about the good and the bad that I have experienced during my stay. It is my personal opinion only. I have previously stayed at two other all inclusives one in Cuba and the other in Mexico on the mayan/Caribean side. So my opinion is also based on comparisons of other all inclusives. It is important to note we also went during spring break both times to Mexico.

What I liked: The staff was for the most part very friendly and helpful. The waiting staff is terrific. Every morning we would be greeted by Alfonso (I believe). He always had a smile and a great personality. Not just with us but with his coworkers. Lucy at the omelette station is amazing and caring. The evening waitress at the sports lounge was kind and hospitable. Sorry I don't know her name. At the poolside and at the beach there was always servers asking you for your drink order.

When we first got to the resort we did not get the room we had requested. Through Sunquest vacations (flew with Westjet) we had paid for a family room. What we got was a room with a king size bed. My daughter is almost 3 years of age and does not sleep with us. We needed a room with at least two double beds. The front desk gentlemen would not try to find us another room but offered us a roll out bed. What they brought was a tiny crib she could not fit into. Luckily with other older family members my husband went to the front desk (this time a lovely lady) helped us out and found us a room with two double beds close to our other family members. The room and view was not as nice but we were happy with the change in accomodations.

The rooms are clean and the housekeeping staff do a wonderful job at keeping your rooms clean and tidy. They were very nice and always said hello. Once in awhile we were left with towel art. For the price you pay for this resort the rooms are decent but I would have to say I have stayed in nicer rooms. Clean but not spectacular but decent for the price you pay. If you want more pay extra at another resort.

The kids pool and slides at the back of the resort was awesome for little kids. The only issue is how hot it can get back there and your children are at higher risk for sunburn. Not the resorts fault but if you do stay at this resort please put sunscreen on your children 20 minutes before going into the pool and keep applying it on throughout the day. The children loved the pools in the main area of the hotel as well.

What I didn't like about my stay: I am in agreement with those who made comments about the two tiered system at this resort. Most all inclusives do not involve you paying for extra meals. They have theme nights (two I believe) that you have to pay to enjoy unless you paid extra to become club Solaris members. Either way you are paying if you want to partake. I can't comment on the entertainment. Never saw any shows as we had a toddler with an 8pm bedtime. But they didn't sound interesting to me anyway. The entertainment at Grand Sirenis is so amazing. Theatrical shows every night but it is also a bigger resort. The bigger resorts will have better entertainment. They do play bingo in the afternoons. It felt like I was at an old timers retirement home. But the small entertainment staff were friendly and funny and young. This resort does not cater (at least at the time) to college kids in terms of entertainment and partying. So if you are into that this is not the resort for you. But it is quiet and good for families. Good or bad (your opinion) Mexicans also travel to this resort. It was nice to interact with local families even with the language barrier.

Not the resorts fault but los cabos area is not known for activities on the beach/ocean. The ocean is unswimable because of the undercurrent and large crashing waves. But if you stay at a resort in Los Cabas San Lucas close to the harbour you have better chances to enjoy the beaches/ocean as the waters are protected but you will encounter larger crowds.

The main complaint is how it did not really feel like a true all inclusive. At least other resorts hide it better with the up selling. As soon as you get it you are being peddled for upgrades and to become club members. Not sure if they were also trying to sell you on a time share because we basically told them we just weren't interested.

Also there are beach venders not associated with the resort that travel up and down the beaches to sell their goods. Once in awhile they will cross the resorts ropes and try to sell you on their products. Can be annoying for some.

The place did look a bit outdated but I thought all the other resorts nearby also looked outdated.

Overall not a bad stay but I will not be returning to this area or this resort. I prefer the mayan side. But would love to try Puerta Vallarta some day.

FOOD: My family loved the food. Being pregnant and not liking spicy food I did not enjoy the food. I'm sure I lost weight. Breakfast was the same thing every morning. Variety is small in my opinion. But their hot dogs actually look and taste like hot dogs. The quacamole was amazingly good. The snack bar was my favorite. They even had ribs one afternoon. Ice cream available at lunch but only at lunch. Wish they had an ice cream bar set up all day. No ice cream cones though. There was also no cafe to get a latte or cappucino. You had to go to the sports bar and could get a specialty coffee when they were open. Selection small. I had lattes. Wish there was a small cafe shop where you can get these drinks. Grand Sirenis had all of these. Even Cuba had a cafe shop to sit and enjoy a coffee beverage. Just suggestions for the resort. These recommendations would make your resort even better for families...cafe and ice cream palor.

Hope this helps in your decision to plan your trip.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your considerate feedback of your stay here in Royal Solaris, we love your comment about our staff make your holidays better. The design of the hotel is like a Mexican Hacienda, this is the reason that you look the hotel as you say.
We take all your comments and we hope to see you again here and make more comfortable your stay.

Centennial, Colorado, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Do not go if
1) you are a family of 5 or more. They say the rooms sleep 5 but you might not get a room that sleeps 5. Even for 4 they are only twin size beds. They put us in a room with 2 twins (maybe they are doubles but not queens). I called multiple times to get Room that sleeps 5. When I went to the front desk they said "sorry, we have no rooms and no roll always" then they sent two 1" ripped egg crate type foam things for me to sleep on. WHAT? Unbelievable!

2) You like decent food. It just tastes terrible. Not much selection. They treat timeshare members with better choices though I don't know who would ever want to come back.

3) You like to relax at the beach. Tons of people right outside the resort selling junk and hassling you. Annoying.

4) You like a beer other than Tecate. That's it, nothing else.

5) You want a kids club so you can have some personal time. Kids club very limited, closes early, and does not feel very secure.

6) You like internet access. WiFi in lobby way slower than dial up (trust me people under 35, that is unimaginably slow, you would die). They said in room WiFi barely works and is a bunch more $ per day extra (all inclusive?)

Stay here if you like
1) The smell of bug killer in your room
2) nasty food
3) You like to be far from downtown Cabo
4) You Love Tecate
5) You like to pay for more things at your "all inclusive" (like the lock for the room safe)
6) You are from Mexico and dig this type of place. I think 70% of people here are from Mexico on vacation. Totally cool but not my standards.

To sum up. If you are used to Disney Cruises and Hawaii do not come here. If you have never travelled in your life you would probably love it.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
We apologize for the inconvenience caused during your stay at the hotel, we take all of your comments seriously to improve our areas of opportunity. We are sorry that we did not meet your expectations as we strive to provide the best experience to all of our guests, no matter the nationality. The management would be more than happy if you can give us another opportunity in the future to make your experience in Royal Solaris the best.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

The hotel staff was extremely friendly and helpful... Specifically Conrad Ortiz at the concierge service... He recomended an excellent whale watching tour and really made our trip special. The hotel has everything u want from volleyball court, to a tennis and basketball court... It had a great private pool, and excellent view of the hotel from our view.. The breakfast buffet was great specifically the omelette chef Lucy.. Free wifi in the lobby, clean room and hotel... The friendliest service in cabo

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Solaris H, Social Media Manager at Royal Solaris Los Cabos, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Thank you for your great review Mario about your stay at our hotel. We hope see you soon again in Royal Solaris Los Cabos.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

First time stay at the Royal Solaris. Upon our arrival initial impressions were not overwhelmingly positive. Have stayed at the Hola Grand Farow and the Barcelo Los Cabos previously. The room was comfortable and clean but not up to the standards of the Grand Farow or Barcelo. Previous reviews mention the intense pressure to buy into the Club Solaris and we experienced the same. We felt that the hotel offered a two tier standard that we did not experience at any of our other all inclusive stays. While this was a distraction our overall stay was positive particularly because of the hard working staff at the Royal Solaris.
Beach Grill waiter Luis Lizarranga in particular stood out as the best server we have ever experienced in any 4 or 5 star resort in Mexico. His level of service and his attention to our needs became a highlight of our trip. Catering to the whims of 3 couples Luis would run to set up additional tables for us even when the Beach Grill was full. We never waited more than a minute for service and he knew us all by name and our beverage choices after the first day. We experienced similar service from Alex every morning at the buffet and Jorge the beach drink waiter. We found the Marco Pollo ala carte restauraunt to be poor. Quality of food, reservation availability and staff attention to be below the expected standard. A much better choice was Hotel Casa Natalia restaurant in San Jose; expensive but outstanding and certainly worth the Conde Nast recomendation.
Overall Royal Solaris has a great staff, a clean hotel, hard but comfortable beds, good food, better than average entertainment, great weather and a quiet beach that was more family oriented than singles oriented which resulted in a restful vacation.
We strongly recommend the off site massage across the street from the Solaris (Midnight Massage) $40 for 70 minutes-it was clean, and the therapists did an exceptional job. The facility served all 6 of us simultaneously.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Solaris H, Social Media Manager at Royal Solaris Los Cabos, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Thank you very much for your detailed review of your recent stay with us. Please allow me to express my deepest apologies for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay. It does not reflect the outstanding service and attention to details we strive to be known for.

We would be honored to welcome you back in the near future, and I stand at your service to personally ensure that your next visit is most enjoyable.

Regards,
Mexico City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

I have just return from a 4 night stay at this hotel. I was not expecting too much after i had payed more or less a hundred dollars daily in all inclusive Resort.
Hotel in good conditions, rooms basic but very clean, pool very nice, hotel activities for everyone kids teenagers and adults, food just only ok nothing to be proud of it.
But what i was very surprised was the friendly service They had. Really staff have very good actitude with all. I recommend this hotel for everyone but special for families. Sure someday I will return

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Thank you very much for your great review. We are very happy that you enjoyed your accommodations and that our team helped to make your stay effortless and relaxing.

^G

Been to Royal Solaris Los Cabos? Share your experiences!