“Would not go back!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Solaris Los Cabos

Save Saved
You added Royal Solaris Los Cabos to your Saves list
Royal Solaris Los Cabos
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd. San Jose | Campo de Golf, San Jose del Cabo 23410, Mexico   |
Central Alberta
“Would not go back!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

I have read about the time share aspect...but never expected that a resort would / could make you feel second class. Time share people and their guests wear gold and yellow bands and get different service. If you had an upgrade, you probably wore a blue band.
Their (time share) breakfast was at a different place, they seem to get better drinks, and a 'gala' supper once a week... there we thought it was set up for a weddding...How stupid can you be??!! Once a week they have a carabian night... be prepared if you want to go.. it will cost you $55 us per person. And they call them selves 'all inclusive'!
Yes the room was clean, and house keeping does a good job of making wonderful 'towel' creatures, yet they were slow. Our room did not get cleaned until 4 pm, eventhough we had the sign on the door.
The food was mediocre at best. I love mohito's, but only got one once, the other times they said they 'run out"!
The beach bar and the pool bar close at 6 pm, and so does the towel hut. The only bar open after that is in the lobby.
Pool.....COLD!!! The ocean was warmer then the pool water.
Also be aware you can not swim in the ocean. It is not recommended and the Hotel is not responsible. We saw 2 guys that were in trouble and if it wasn't for a guy with a surf board jumping in to rescue these 2, they would have drowned. The 'security' just grabbed the 'live saving donut' and run to the edge of the water. They will NOT go in and safe you.
As it was a 'holiday' week for the Americans, "Thanksgiving" the resort was pretty crowded. If you did not 'reserve' your bed on the beach or by the pool by 7 am you were out of luck! We even saw people reserve their seats the night before!
It seems they were set up pretty good for kids though I think. There was a real nice sections just for the little ones, with lots of choices in slides etc.
Dont let the elevator confuse you! Our room was 597, looking out on the street, in the corner on the north west side of the resort, but this is on the '2' floor according to the elevator! The 600 nrs. were on the 3rd floor and the and the 400 nr. on the 1st floor!
Seemed a little confusing!
Internet service:
I used the free wifi in the lobby, that's the only place it works... and it sucked! If you want it in your room it cost US $15 per 24 hrs.
I have never stayed at a 2 star Hotel, but I would not give this resort an3* no way!
The price was good, and we were gone on a side trip for 3 nights during our stay. Glad we were, as I would not have like to have been here for a full week!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Solaris H, Social Media Manager at Royal Solaris Los Cabos, responded to this review, December 1, 2012
Please accept our apologies for failing at that instance, but please be assured that your comments and feedback are certainly being taken into consideration and acted upon in order for us to improve our facilities and services.

We would be more than happy if you give us the opportunity to exceed your expectations one more time and experience a true vacation in paradise.

2,890 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (661)
SoCal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

The third vacation to San Jose saw us bringing along the kiddies for a family Thanksgiving vacation. Given there were 5 in our party we decided on the Solaris for the quiet of San Jose and the affordability of this all-inclusive resort. Here's my take on the facility:

Service: Top notch. Came in late Friday night. Since we booked two rooms we requested adjoining rooms. None were available our first night but they were able to accommodate us the second day. Extremely impressed with waiter Ramiro. Extremely professional and knows the meaning of service as does the rest of the staff.

Grounds: Well kept and very pleasing.

Rooms: We had a "Deluxe" ocean view room. I found the rooms to be dated and need of renovation. House keeping did a great job keeping things tidy. I found a nice tip to the house cleaner really kept things sparkling. Her towel "lion" on my 4 year old's roll-a-way really made his day after a hard day of Kids Club and the pool. Bed was hard but I've slept on worse. The ocean view was slight but on the other hand the balcony was spacious. Nice for morning coffee.

Pool: Nice size but as we've found from past trips to Los Cabos...cold. A dip in the ocean was warmer than the pool. But the pool is well maintained. The late morning/afternoon entertainment was enjoyable.

Food: I'm split 50/50 on the food. As mentioned before we arrived late Friday night and just was able to get a bite in the theater before they closed. Granted we arrived late to the food but it we had trouble getting the kids to eat because the food did not look appetizing to them. My kids aren't usually picky eater but then it was later in the PM and we had traveled most of the day. The lunch time snack bar was more to the kids liking. They enjoyed the strawberry "smoothies" more so than the soda fountain drinks. The afternoon ice cream was a hit. We reserved a night for the "Steakhouse Dinner", which was nice. The steaks are much thinner than one expects but in my experience it is on par with what is found in Mexico. Tasty just the same. The red wine was good as well. We ate out a few nights in San Jose at some restaurants we enjoy so we didn't get a chance to try the Mexican or Italian restaurants on the property.

Kids Club: Excellent! My 4 year old would jump out of bed and be ready to go meet his new friends every morning. Staff was very nice and professional. The pools and the slide were a hit with the little one.

Cocktails: Disappointment. Yea they're unlimited but quality in the mixing was bad. Even if you use cheap booze if its mixed right no big deal. I think it was just a matter of the bartenders being slammed throughout the day and having to get the drinks out pronto. I opted to head to Mega Mercardo and bought some large plastic cups and mixers. By utilizing the canned beer from the room's fridge I packed those in ice and took down to the pool. I'd mix my own beers with Clamato. If I was in need of a cocktail I'd get some rum over ice and use the soda fountain at the snack bar. The cola had fizz as opposed to the 2 litre bottles of soda the bartenders used.

Overall: We stayed at the Royal Solaris for the all-inclusiveness and price. Don't get me wrong I knew based on price point what I was getting. No grand illusions. And for what we paid it was worth the money. There were some items I'd change but when aren't there when you go on vacation. If I'd had paid a couple grand more with a certain expectations based on the extra money I'd have been disappointed. Again, overall a nice place. and decent value.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Solaris H, Social Media Manager at Royal Solaris Los Cabos, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
We would like to thank you for choosing Royal Solaris Los Cabos for your vacations.

We are truly sorry to read that your experience was not a fulfilling one.
After having read your comments, we appreciate you took the time to give us some feedback and point out possible areas of improvement within the resort. I would like to also take this chance to share with you that we work every day to give the best service. For that reason we will share your comment with our manager.

One more time thank you for your review, we are confident to be able to offer you our hospitality again under the best conditions at our hotel.

Regards

Kelowna
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

This is our third time to the Cabo region. The first time we stayed at the Riu Santa Fe, the second time at the Presidente (now The Holiday Inn) and now the Royal Solaris. Of the three I would rate the Riu Santa Fe the best property we have stayed at. However if your travelling with your kids, I would recommend the Royal Solaris, lots of family activites, one large pool for everyone although a kiddy type of pool is attached overlooking the swimup bar where the kids can watch over their parents.

A quiet adult pool and hot tub is around at one end of the hotel property looking over the beach. Placing towels on chairs in the very early mornings can be an issue but I feel if the hotel allows this then what do you expect.

Our room was on the top floor right in the center of the hotel nicely overlooking the pool and ocean. I found the bed was okay, my wife found the longer we were there the harder it got so hard/soft, take it whatever way you want. The room was very clean, everything worked, except being a little outdated it was fine.

When checking it make sure you ask for a safe lock and key. It costs $1.00 per day. They may not offer it to you so save yourself a trip back to the Lobby and possibly a lineup to get the lock and key.

The breakfasts were always pretty good, the lunches were okay and the suppers were hit and miss. Never saw any of the shows so can't comment on this.

Away from the resort there is a nice Italian Pizzeria restaurant at the Square in San Jose Del Cabo. Check out the old Tropicana Hotel and maybe a Burger at the Retro Burger. And as always stop in at Shooter's Bar which is very Canadianized as evidenced by the many Sports logos from Canadian teams including the most important one from the KELOWNA ROCKETS.

We took the Camel Ride which was kind of hokey but fun and informative at the same time with an excellent lunch, probably the best all week. If you book this tour I recommend taking the bus into Cabo San Lucas from in front of the Mega store and make a day of it touring around the Marina etc. and then taking the tour which leaves from there. We took the tour from our hotel, the bus was late so we ended up waiting around for about 50 minutes for the next ride out to the where the Camel ride was. It's only 15 minutes on the camels but that is probably enough. Some people complained about the cost but glad I went.

All in all it was what I expected and comparable to staying at the Holiday Inn. Pretty laid back in the evening with the only real entertainment being the lobby bar which had live bands, good to very bad Karaoke and the occasional drunk on a friend search making an [--] of himself.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
South Plainfield, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

I have been going to this resort since 2002. It is the most relaxing, and enjoyable resorts. I want to thank Alex Anaya who was our representative for making our stay this time the best ever. We did have a few incidents but he managed to help us as much as he could. I always bring friends with me and we tried to reserve rooms close together because of physical problems with one of my friends. Unfortunately we were told that we could not get rooms close to each other. I had to take a room on another floor but Alex managed to get my buddy Gary and his wife near an elevator because of double knee replacement surgery.

I asked to be upgraded to an ocean front but was told that was impossible. I was willing to pay for the upgrade, even though I was not given any reconigition for bringing 2 other couples. Alex tried the best he could to at least get us reservations at the specialty restaurants every night.

The only negetive besides the unavailability of Ocean Front room for me is the 4 handed massage my wife experienced. She is a massage therapist herself and always would get the 4 handed massage when she is at the Royal Solaris. This time the 2 women that massaged her were inexperienced and hurt her next causing her to purchase a nexk brace to wear for several days of the vacation. I don't know if they had certifications but the manager of the massage area told me that the girls in the afternoon are not as good as the morning girls. BIG MISTAKE

Other than these little screwups, our vacation was great. I hope that in the future the resort will give some form of gratuity for bringing other people and also that the employees providing services are qualified to preform their duties

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
We would like to thank you for your comments about Royal Solaris Los Cabos.
Thanks for your nice comments about our staff.

We are sorry to read that you found a inconvenients in the SPA. However we will share this comment with our manager in order to fix this situation
We hope to have the opportunity to have you again as a guest.

Kind regards,

Palmdale, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

Our first experience was not the best. My friend booked and payed for an ocean front room, but when we checked in they gave us a room facing the pool and the opposite wing of the hotel. When we went to the front desk to get the room changed, they told us that they were 100% booked/sold out and that the room we had was what we had paid for. Not true at all, my friend specifically requested the ocean front room when she booked the trip, and paid the upgrade charge at that time. Long story short, after much arguing about the definition of ocean view, they moved us to a true ocean view/ocean front room at an extra charge (total BS...we are seeking reimbursement through our travel agent). Other than that experience and all the people at the beach (disguised as vendors/sales people) trying to sell us drugs, we had a great time. The SERVICE was much better than the food. Although we paid for an all inclusive, we spent a lot of money eating out. Beer choices = NONE...all they serve is Tecate, like it or not! All the staff was more than willing to help...especially Ignacio "Nacho" Alvarez. Very pleasant young man. He went out of his way to help us, including asking for permission to play some tennis with me (staff is not allowed to use the facilities). With a little persuasion from me, his supervisors allowed him to play...hopefully they did not deduct the time from his pay. The ladies at the spa were great (awesome massage!) and the guys at Costco Tour Desk too...thank you for booking our diving and zip lining tours, they were great.

Room Tip: If you want to look at the ocean from your room without hanging off your balcony, make sure you requ...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for the opportunity you have given us by choosing Royal Solaris for your vacation.

We have taken your feedback to heart and have shared it with our team. We are thrilled to know you had a fantastic vacation with us!!! In regards to your inconvenience at the time you made your room view, we really appreciate that you took the time to write this very important feedback to us. We have spoken to our reception manager and is taking care of this problem.
We really appreciate your comments as it is very helpful in our efforts to continuously strive for service excellence.
We are confident that you will give us another opportunity in the future, we hope to see you soon at this your home.

Regards

Comox BC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

I was worried. Some of the reviews on here for the Royal Solaris were brutal! I have stayed at very solid 5 star resorts and I have also stayed at very solid 3 star resorts. Here's my take on the Royal Solaris:

Accomodations: Clean and quiet. Our room was over the main entrance to the hotel and never heard a thing. AC is very efficient. If you like to leave your patio door open instead, expect some little bugs to come in but really only at nite. I never saw a cockroach. I saw 2 tiny geckos - that's it. The housekeeping does a great job. When we arrived we were given 2 doubles and asked for a King. They siad there wasn't one available. If this happens to you, ask 'When will one be available?' They said that the next day at 1pm we could move rooms. We did, no problem, no charge. Yes, the beds are hard as well as the pillows.

Pool: Clean and warm. Lots of chairs around pool but if you have a preference for shade or sun then reserve it with your towel, hat, book - whatever. The towel shack is funny - one week it was asked that we sign a slip of paper daily for our towels. The week previous, no papers, no signing. Expect either situation. There is a shallow part just for kids. There is an adult only pool at the very front of the property near the beach.

Kids Club: Can't say enough to tell you how amazing it is. The staff is very good with the kids, they do some great crafts and our kids (4&5) were asking to go back daily and didn't want to leave at closing time. (9:30am-4:45pm)

Food: Buffet breakfast - very good, lots to choose from. WAIT TO BE SEATED. They don't have a sign saying so and if you aren't aware of this, you may get chased down by the hostess. There is a fresh omlette station. She will also make you eggs anyway you like. Better than the buffet container of scrambled egg substitute. There is also a fresh donut/churro station. That one changes to crepes and fried tortillas? also from time to time. There is definately bacon - I really don't know how other reviewers missed it? For some reason, butter here is worth it's weight in gold and you will have to ask for it.
Lunch - snack bar that you can walk through dripping wet. Burgers, pizza, hot dogs, chips and salsa and guac, salads, fruit. Then there's a buffet lunch as well facing the beach. It has hard scooped ice cream there - and it's really good ice cream!
Dinner: We did the theatre buffet that has the stage show following dinner. It wasn't my thing but we did if for the kids. You share huge tables with strangers and the show is LOUD. We also did the buffet one night at Ponchos. It was good. We had dinner reservations the next night at Marco Polo and after that, we only ever went there for dinner. The food was the best on the resort. We did it every night, no problems. If you want to make reservations for anything, press '0' on your phone at precicely 9am and wait. Don't hang up. You will be put on hold, probably twice but it is worth it. Have a pen ready, they will give you a reservation number. You will never be asked for it. hahahaha

Drinks: no problem. If you want a double, they will give you a double. The coffee is awful. Walk to the starbucks if you are a coffee lover - it's a 10 minute walk, down by the Mega.

Tours: took a non-snorkeling trip to Cabo San Lucas that included a glass - bottom boat ride to lands end arches and lovers beach. Includes lunch and shopping time in Cabo. Was worth it - cost $45 each.

Internet: had no problem accessing wifi in the lobby. Some people did? Maybe a device issue? Worked no problem on my laptop or tablet.

Beach: some of people swam. I guess it's what you are used to? Maybe also dependant on weather/time of year? The waves break right on the beach. When the tide is out, it's not that bad. If you can't tell if the tide is out, don't go in. There are lots of vendors, just say no thanks. It may take more than once but.....it's Mexico.

Time share: we were never even approached. They are on the right side of the lobby when you come in. Go left. They wear light blue shirts. The hotel staff that check you in wear slightly darker blue shirts. Tricky, just stay left. Saw TONS of people get sucked in though!

FIESTA NIGHT/ CARIBBIAN NIGHT: Here's the only part of the whole experience I can say was really, really bad. One night, the only place to eat dinner was a buffet set up where the breakfast usually is. UNLESS you paid $45 per person to go to the outdoor fiesta buffet. This is by ticket or invitation only. It seems if you do the time share thing, you might get a ticket. At the free buffet, there was very limited choice and the service was exceptionally bad. There were big lines to get in and eat. So, not only are you made to feel EXCLUDED in an all-inclusive resort unless you cough up more money, what you are offered is dismal. It was one night of 2 weeks, I got over it. The next time it happened (look for it on the resort schedule, which you will need to ask for from the front desk) Marco Polo for some reason was left open so we went there.

All in all - great holiday. A solid 3.5 star.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you so much for sharing your opinion and for your great recommendation about our Hotel.
Happy to know you loved everything in our resort. We will keep working hard to surprise you with our fabulous service the next time you visit us.

Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

My husband and I were there for Thanksgiving weekend, and we had a very nice time. we enjoyed the great service provided by Nacho, our personal concierge.who welcomed us to the resort.and invited us to attend the Tiki party and a tour to "The arch"
They treated us like royalty, one night we got a bottle of champagne and chocolate covered strawberries,delivered to our room, and every day we were pampered by "Lucy" the amazing lady that prepares Huevos Rancheros and omelettes, she's always smiling and enjoying her work.
Since we have 5 kids and 6 grandkids, we decided to join the club, and we are looking forward to have our family enjoying their next vacation at Royal Solaris!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Solaris H, Social Media Manager at Royal Solaris Los Cabos, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Thank you very much for your review. We are very happy that you enjoyed your accommodations and that our team helped to make your stay effortless and relaxing.

^G

Been to Royal Solaris Los Cabos? Share your experiences!