“Don't miss this gem when you are in San Jose del Cabo!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Mexican, Mediterranean
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Melrose, Florida
“Don't miss this gem when you are in San Jose del Cabo!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

My husband and I had lunch at Los Tamarindos today. It was a bit tricky to find, but luckily there were signs posted at just about every intersection we came to on the dirt roads. It is up from Puerto Los Cabos, east of San Jose del Cabo.

The farm property is beautifully landscaped, with lush palms, banana and tamarind trees, as well as all sorts of vines and lots of multi-colored bougainvilleas. All of the produce is organically grown on the property, and the owner/chef, Enrique Silva, has a farmer's market there on Saturdays. He also provides organic produce to many of the high-end restaurants in the area.

We ate at a table by the balcony, overlooking the vegetable and herb gardens. It was the perfect setting- a nice cool breeze, and a crystal clear, warm and sunny day.

The Amuse bouche was a slice of baked zucchini with the most amazing and flavorful tomato sauce topped with fresh rosemary. We rated it as A+.

As our first course, my husband and I both got the calamari stuffed with sauteed vegetables and herbs, smothered in a delicious tomato sauce and topped with fresh thyme. We also gave this dish an A+. Fabulous!

My main course was baked rock Cornish chicken with vegetables and barley. It was very good, and I rated it as a B+. My husband got the regional baby goat stewed with vegetables, and a side dish of barley, also a B+. I was so full that he also ate the dark meat and wing from my 1/2 baked chicken!

The setting was gorgeous, service was very good as well. The chef obviously has put his heart and soul into creating this excellent and scenic organic farm and restaurant.

This is a "don't miss" place the next time you are in San Jose del Cabo!

Enrique Silva

North Bend, Washington
“Country open air organic restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

Just a short trip from Centro San Jose del Cabo toward the marina down a sandy road is a wonderful little organic restaurant. Having read other reviews we decided to try Los Tamarindos on a Sunday. The owner / chef was sitting at table next to us eating his lunch and we had a chance to talk to him about his organic farm and restaurant. We had the special, an Ahi tuna dish with sauteed vegetables and it was excellent. Great presentation and excellent quality food!
Sitting in a shaded area looking out at the farm was very relaxing. The restaurant is part of an old stone farm house and had a comfortable feeling. Nothing fancy other than great food!
We have travelled to San Jose del Cabo many times and this restaurant is now among our favorites. I look forward to my next visit and I will be coming back to Los Tamarindos.

Carpinteria, California
“A long walk through dirt roads takes us to beautiful oasis”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

We wanted to try either Flora's or Los Tamarindos but we didn't want to pay the $20 taxi cab each way, which we figured would be the same cost of our meal. Luckily my boyfriend Kurt is fluent in Spanish and we were assured by a downtown local restaurant owner that we could walk there. "Not at night - for lunch," he said. He told us once we got on the dirt roads it was a ten minute walk. We had set out early leaving our hotel around 9:30 AM. We started out our adventure by taking the Urbano bus from Cabo Azul to downtown. Once there we went to the back of the main church into the art district and down one of the streets that cut over to Centario Blvd. that runs behind the town. We got over to the dirt road and made an immediate right. This brings you onto another dirt road that is in a pretty shaded area. We passed by "The Jockey Club" and the location that has the Organic market (that is open on Saturday - they charge 45 pesos to tour this market on Saturday). About five minutes into the walk, we realized this wasn't going to be a ten minute walk. "Cuidado" a dirty homeless Mexican man said stumbling coming from the direction we were going. "What did he say?" I asked. "Be Careful," Kurt said. "Do you think there are bandits on this road?" I asked Kurt. "No he means be careful of the heat, anyway we only have 800 pesos." I thought about my $250 camera. After walking another five minutes we crossed the river where some cows and horses were finding refuge from the heat. Now we were in open terrain with no shade in sight. Luckily it was only about 10:30 AM. We saw a sign that said "Los Tamarindos 500 mts with an arrow." We walked the way of the arrow more than 500 meters and then we came to another fork in the road that was unsigned and decided to go right. We could see some Palm in the distance on a hillside. We went up a road which we thought was the farm but found it was gated. And then we turned and walked in the opposite direction towards a hill and then we saw the sign "Los Tamarindos 50 mts" with the arrow pointing the opposite way. Kurt said the first sign should probably be a kilometer and the second sign probably 500 mts. That is what confused us. Anway, by the time we got there it was well worth the walk and I was hot and sweaty. We had brought water and huddled in the infrequent shade along the way. The sign says that it opens at noon and it wasn't even 11:00 AM when we got there. The waiter was hospitable and said to sit down. The owner was having a cooking class in the back. The meal was definitely worth the effort. We ordered the chile relleno which did not have any eggs as traditionally served. It had instead of blend of squash - zuchinni, chayotes, and carrots delicately seasoned with rosemary, thyme, and fennel giving it a great subtle flavor. I ordered a plate of the farm vegetables which included beets, tomatos, squash, arugala, and zuchinni. We decided to order another appetizer as well instead of the main course as we aren't meat or pasta eaters. They did have baby goat on the menu which sounded interesting. I loved the chile relleno that Kurt had ordered, so I ordered one for myself. Kurt ordered the calamari which was stuffed similarly but had more tomato sauce. The view is wonderful and we watched the hawks who were flying around the farm. We spent about two hours there bracing ourselves for the walk back. Fortunately, about 50 yards past the restaurant, a nice woman in a SUV asked if we wanted ride. "Sure!" we said and I jumped the front seat thankful that we weren't walking back. Her husband was a restauranteur as well.

Long Grove, Illinois
“A Surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Finding Flora's closed for lunch [off season], we saw the sign for Los Tamarindos and after some twists and turns found this out of the way paradise. The Tamarind Margaritas were A1++ and the six of us shared the fish, appetizers and desert. A must for lunch or dinner. Got the chef's tour from Enrique [owner] and signed up for cooking class in December. One of the best!!

Visited October 2012
Calgary, Canada
“Fresh.. Organic .. Destination Lunch or Dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Nov 11, 2012 ..Introduced some friends to Los Tamarindos for lunch as my dinner experiences at the restaurant have been excellent. There was a brunch featured but we opted to share various dishes from the menu. All the dishes were fresh, local, with beautiful presentation. The outdoor terrace is delightful and the woodburning pizza oven a hit. Can hardly wait to organize a group and take a cooking lesson. Very inviting.