We were not sure what to expect as the reviews are so varied for this resort. We found the resort to be beautiful and clean with good service, food, and drink.
Check in: Check in was fairly quick and painless, but there were no others in the lobby when we arrived. The process isn't speedy, but then they are giving you a lot of information etc. The odd thing I found was that they bill in Pesos, but the prices are quoted in US dollars (and show up on your credit card statement in US dollars).So there is potential for a small discrepancy (ours was $35 more on the bill than the quoted US price). No big deal, but could be confusing for many. Haven't decided if I will contact my card company for an adjustment or not.
Room: We were in a 5th floor room facing the hotel next door (rather than overlooking the pool etc), but could still see (and hear) the ocean. The room was quiet at night (we slept with the door to the balcony open). An ocean front room would be nice, but since we don't spend a lot of time in the room, it was just fine! We could still sit on the balcony and see the whales in front of the hotel from our room.
Hotel: There is still some work being done to recover from Hurricane Odile, but it wasn't anything that took away from our experience (so one elevator wasn't working, big deal -- the one down the hall worked. Small things like that). The grounds are beautiful, the lobby, bar, and other common areas are just fine, and the room was certainly adequate.
Food: For the most part, the food was good to excellent! We ate at the buffet each day for breakfast where there was plenty of options (and fresh fruit galore). Lunch was usually the buffet or the snack bar. The snack bar was limited a bit, but hey, it's a snack bar where you can grab something while still in your swimsuit!
Dinners were good, most of them we ate at the buffet where there were lots of choices and a different theme each night. We did go to the Italian and Mexican restaurants and they were great too. My son would have liked to go to the sushi bar in the tower (he loves sushi) but you can not go there if you are a minor. They did have sushi at the buffet on oriental night, so he got to have some then. It would have been nice to spend some time in the sushi restaurant or sky bar though, as it is in the tower and the view is outstanding. We were able to go up in the afternoon to look around and take photographs though.
The one exception was one of the nights when things seemed just off - like they couldn't keep up with keeping the food stocked and some things were cold etc. I would have been disappointed if this was the typical experience, but it was the exception.
Pool: Some reviewers have complained that the big pool was too cold. We found it refreshing and actually spent most of our pool time there. The other pool was warmer, and the infinity pool warmer still, so you should be able to find somewhere to get wet.
Drinks: Tried a large variety of the drinks, and YUMM! The bartenders were also willing to custom make drinks not on the cocktail menu (the strawberry, orange, banana, and rum frozen drinks were outstanding).
Mini Bar: a decent selection of soda, beer, water, and juice. The only snack foods left in the room were peanuts (have been to another Barcelo and they also had some other snack foods as part of the mini-bar). Since we didn't spend a lot of time in the room, we had enough.
Location: 20 minutes or so from the airport which is so nice after a long (or short) flight. The resort is a short walk into San Jose del Cabo (or a cheap bus ride on the "Urbano" buses). Easy to get to Cabo San Lucas too by bus (or cab if you want to spend the $'s).Quiet at night since you are away from the 'night life' of Cabo san Lucas. The ocean out front of the hotel is not safe for swimming, but there are other places just a 20 minute bus ride away if you want a day of ocean swimming,
WiFi: we stayed 'unplugged' for most of the trip, but did get WiFi the last 3 days (so we could check in for our flights, update family, etc.). The WiFi isn't reliable, but this wasn't a big deal to us. We paid $10 for 3 days (used the coupon in the resort credit book we received upon check in). Each code is only good for 2 devices.
Travel Tips: Bring a thermal mug (bubba keg) for your drinks! We always do this and it keeps even frozen drinks cold and fresh until you are done.
Bring more than one bathing suit because if you are anything like us, you will be in that more than your clothes.
Bring enough sunscreen - the resort and the Mega store sell sunscreen, but it is pricey compared to what you would pay at home.
Bring a kite: Kite flying on the beach is easy.
Enjoy your vacation!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The hotel Barceló Grand Faro Los Cabos***** is a resort situated on the shores of the spectacular beach on the Sea of Cortés. It is a hotel for enjoying the peace and quiet of Los Cabos, the relaxing atmosphere of San José and the gentle whisper of the sea. The hotel boasts 350 luxurious rooms and suites distributed over 3 buildings: Luna, Estrella and Torre Sol. All the rooms have a private balcony with views over the Sea of Cortés and are equipped with a number of first class details to ensure your stay is a memorable occasion. The most discerning guests can enjoy the Barceló All Inclusive programme on offer at the resort. The Barceló Grand Faro Los Cabos hotel is well-known as one of the best All Inclusive hotels in the area thanks to the quality and added value it offers its guests. There are 5 restaurants and 3 bars in the hotel offering a wide-range of gastronomy, including an extraordinary selection of international, Mexican and Italian cuisine. Its on site convention and meeting centre boasts 2,620 m2 of space to accommodate all types of events. Plan your corporate meetings, conventions or weddings in the best facilities on offer in Los Cabos. And not forgetting the youngest members of the family, who can have fun in the hotel's water park or in La Tortuga, the children's club. The Barceló Grand Faro Los Cabos hotel is the perfect choice for enjoying your trip. If you are travelling for business, or spending a holiday with your partner or family, don't hesitate in visiting us! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, BookIt.com, Booking.com, Barcelo, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Orbitz, Despegar.com, getaroom.com, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Barcelo Grand Faro Los Cabos reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hola Grand Faro Los Cabos Hotel San Jose Del Cabo
- Crown Plaza Los Cabos
- Barcelo Grand Faro Los Cabos San Jose Del Cabo