“A beautiful resort with friendly service. Had a wonderful vacation experience!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Grand Faro Los Cabos

You added Barcelo Grand Faro Los Cabos to your Saves list
Barcelo Grand Faro Los Cabos
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd. San Jose s/n, Seccion Hotelera 1 Zona Fonatur, San Jose del Cabo 23400, Mexico   |
Special Offer
Up to 25% discount
Ranked #27 of 37 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
British Columbia, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

We were not sure what to expect as the reviews are so varied for this resort. We found the resort to be beautiful and clean with good service, food, and drink.

Check in: Check in was fairly quick and painless, but there were no others in the lobby when we arrived. The process isn't speedy, but then they are giving you a lot of information etc. The odd thing I found was that they bill in Pesos, but the prices are quoted in US dollars (and show up on your credit card statement in US dollars).So there is potential for a small discrepancy (ours was $35 more on the bill than the quoted US price). No big deal, but could be confusing for many. Haven't decided if I will contact my card company for an adjustment or not.

Room: We were in a 5th floor room facing the hotel next door (rather than overlooking the pool etc), but could still see (and hear) the ocean. The room was quiet at night (we slept with the door to the balcony open). An ocean front room would be nice, but since we don't spend a lot of time in the room, it was just fine! We could still sit on the balcony and see the whales in front of the hotel from our room.

Hotel: There is still some work being done to recover from Hurricane Odile, but it wasn't anything that took away from our experience (so one elevator wasn't working, big deal -- the one down the hall worked. Small things like that). The grounds are beautiful, the lobby, bar, and other common areas are just fine, and the room was certainly adequate.

Food: For the most part, the food was good to excellent! We ate at the buffet each day for breakfast where there was plenty of options (and fresh fruit galore). Lunch was usually the buffet or the snack bar. The snack bar was limited a bit, but hey, it's a snack bar where you can grab something while still in your swimsuit!
Dinners were good, most of them we ate at the buffet where there were lots of choices and a different theme each night. We did go to the Italian and Mexican restaurants and they were great too. My son would have liked to go to the sushi bar in the tower (he loves sushi) but you can not go there if you are a minor. They did have sushi at the buffet on oriental night, so he got to have some then. It would have been nice to spend some time in the sushi restaurant or sky bar though, as it is in the tower and the view is outstanding. We were able to go up in the afternoon to look around and take photographs though.
The one exception was one of the nights when things seemed just off - like they couldn't keep up with keeping the food stocked and some things were cold etc. I would have been disappointed if this was the typical experience, but it was the exception.

Pool: Some reviewers have complained that the big pool was too cold. We found it refreshing and actually spent most of our pool time there. The other pool was warmer, and the infinity pool warmer still, so you should be able to find somewhere to get wet.

Drinks: Tried a large variety of the drinks, and YUMM! The bartenders were also willing to custom make drinks not on the cocktail menu (the strawberry, orange, banana, and rum frozen drinks were outstanding).

Mini Bar: a decent selection of soda, beer, water, and juice. The only snack foods left in the room were peanuts (have been to another Barcelo and they also had some other snack foods as part of the mini-bar). Since we didn't spend a lot of time in the room, we had enough.

Location: 20 minutes or so from the airport which is so nice after a long (or short) flight. The resort is a short walk into San Jose del Cabo (or a cheap bus ride on the "Urbano" buses). Easy to get to Cabo San Lucas too by bus (or cab if you want to spend the $'s).Quiet at night since you are away from the 'night life' of Cabo san Lucas. The ocean out front of the hotel is not safe for swimming, but there are other places just a 20 minute bus ride away if you want a day of ocean swimming,

WiFi: we stayed 'unplugged' for most of the trip, but did get WiFi the last 3 days (so we could check in for our flights, update family, etc.). The WiFi isn't reliable, but this wasn't a big deal to us. We paid $10 for 3 days (used the coupon in the resort credit book we received upon check in). Each code is only good for 2 devices.

Travel Tips: Bring a thermal mug (bubba keg) for your drinks! We always do this and it keeps even frozen drinks cold and fresh until you are done.
Bring more than one bathing suit because if you are anything like us, you will be in that more than your clothes.
Bring enough sunscreen - the resort and the Mega store sell sunscreen, but it is pricey compared to what you would pay at home.
Bring a kite: Kite flying on the beach is easy.

Enjoy your vacation!

• Stayed March 2015, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (346)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW via mobile

My boyfriend and I went to Barcelo grand faro on March 16 to March 21st I had been reading TripAdvisor freaked myself out you cant please everyone and there are just some that cant be pleased. Our room was amazing great ocean view everything that was promised was given best allinclusive ever the staff were so friendly more than willing to give you everything you wanted and more. Our favorite waiter was Juan he was great wish I knew his last name :-( We would recommend the Barcel'o to anyone wanting to be treated with respect and made to feel comfortable in a different country. Oh the nightly entertainment OMG we had a blast Love Love Love Barcel'o XoXoXo

Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Service was EXCELLENT all throughout from beginning to end. Everyone was extremely helpful. Manuel, Enrique, Juan, Orlando all the bartenders and waiters were awesome.

However, when I decide to visit Los Cabos again I will stay at the Barcelo Grand Faro strictly because of Luis from the dept of Food & Beverages. He went out of his way to make sure our stay at the Barcelo was great. Luis made our stay amazing by providing excellent and professional service.

I highly recommend the Barcelo for their clean hotel, great service, beautiful scene, great food and entertainment. I can't wait to go back!!!

• Stayed March 2015, traveled with friends
Oakville, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

March break 2015 at the Barceló was amazing. We have been to 5 star resorts and the service at the Barcelo is comparable, The resort is very clean and the food choice at the buffets was pretty good. Staff is always ready to help and the activities during the day were fun. We truly have nothing negative to say about this resort. Would highly recommend it. Would like to point out some staff that made our stay extra special: Pedro (security at the infinity pool), Luis Matton at the Italian Restaurant, Francisco Sotto at the lobby bar, Juan Ontivero (pool service) and Christian and Nymar (entertainment).

• Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
Grand Rapids, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Do not listen to other reviews! My wife; along with five other couples stayed here starting March 5, 2015. Our first experience was with Omar who unloaded our bags from the van and lead us to the Premium check in. Elizabeth checked us in while we enjoyed an upscale cocktail and snack. Soon after Omar escorted us to our room. When we arrived there we noticed a shortage of towels and mentioned it to Omar. Within a few minutes there was a knock at the door with a full set. The service is first class from the poolside to all the restaurants! Including the buffets! I would like to call out and give special recognition to Eliud Ramirez. His service is second to none. These people work long days and seem to really enjoy their jobs. I do not have anything negative to say about this resort. My wife and I have been to Mexico several times, from the Yucatan Peninsula to the Sea of Cortez, this resort tops all other resorts we have stayed in.

Room Tip: Upgrade to Premium.
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled with friends
Tecumseh ON
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

In February I asked in the forum "Is the Barcelo Really that Bad?" after reading a bunch of negative reviews and was quite concerned. Just returned!! This place is nothing like the poor reviews I had read.
Check-In....not a problem but I'm sure when there are 20 people arriving at the same time its got to be slower!!
Room...clean comfortable and what a view!!
Food... buffets were quite good and I have been to 10 all-inclusives in Mexico ..especially breakfasts...loved the fish tacos in the Mexican restaurant
Pools... from Canada so the "cold" pool was very refreshing and no line up at the bar...nice infinity pool with view of beach and activity pool was a place to meet new friends!
Service....pool service and service elsewhere was outstanding!! Flaming coffee guy at night a real treat!!
Been to Posada, Holiday Inn, Royal Solaris and the Barcelo is BEST of the 4!!!

Don't pay attention to the whiners....you will never make them happy!

• Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Meredith L, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Barcelo Grand Faro Los Cabos, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Dear fatz888

We really value your great review following your last stay at our resort.

We do not have words to say how happy your comments make us and inspire us to do our jobs better every day. It is a pleasure for us read that you were happy with your room, the amazing view to the Sea of Cortez in the room and at the infinity pool, the great food, the service from our staff and the excellent flaming coffee at the fire pit.

We will be honored and happy to pamper you again and waiting for your next visit, thank you again for your excellent comments.

Kind Regards,

Sofia Rivera
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

We just got back from our first trip to Cabo and we absolutely loved it! To be honest, after reading the wild mix of reviews (some are just awful!) about the Barcelo, I was getting cold feet right before we left and doubting whether we had made the right choice for hotels. I decided to just stay positive and that I would make the best out of anything. I am so glad we stayed here! We had the best time!

First of all, we booked online through our credit card company and selected the Club Premium Beach Front Junior Suite. So I can only review based on this experience of course.

As soon as we got out of the taxi, Omar greeted us with a friendly smile and immediately took our bags and escorted us through the lobby to the Club Premium check in area. We had to wait about 20 min for our turn to check in, but we got to sit and relax in the lounge and help ourselves to the bar and snack area. Not too shabby. ;) Reception checked us in and everyone was super friendly and helpful. Our room was not quite ready (we arrived at 2pm) and we were told we could go eat lunch and come back at 3pm. We were starving so this was perfect. We had a lovely buffet lunch at their beachfront restaurant, Las Olas. We loved the food. And we are definitely foodies with great palettes. I had read reviews calling it inedible and I have no clue what these people are talking about. I meant, it's a buffet, so clearly I am not expecting the same quality as a sit down restaurant, but by all means it was good. The guacamole was delicious! Juan was our waiter at that meal and he was so nice and attentive. Great start to a great vacay!

We went back to reception at 3pm and were taken to our room right away. Beautiful room on the 2nd floor overlooking the beach! A perfect little balcony with two chair and a table to sit and enjoy the view. We loved it! It was clean, great size, the bed and pillows were comfortable. Our phone not working was the only issue we had that never got resolved. Not a huge deal and we didn't push the issue.

We hit the pool and were disappointed to find that what other reviews said about the maniple was true...not heated! Huge bummer but expected so we got over it. That is the pool with the swim up bar so it really needs to be heated. But the other two pools are great. The infinity pool overlooking the beach was by far our favorite spot! How could you hang out there and not think to yourself...."this is a little slice of heaven!" ;)

We took advantage of their massage promo the next morning and got a couple's massage under a little palapa on the beach. Fabulous!

Over 4 days, we ate 3 breakfasts at the buffet, 3 lunches, and all of our dinners were had in the reservation restaurants. The Mexican restaurant was great and I highly recommend the Molcajete! Yum! Our dinner at Las Olas (Seafood) was pretty dull. I wouldn't choose that again in the future. Not bad, just nothing special. If I had it to do over, we would have tried the sushi restaurant.

OK, let me wrap this up. All in all, the staff is amazing!!!! I can't speak for the front desk staff as we had no interaction with them. But the wait staff, entertainment crew, Club Premium reception, they all exceeded our expectations with their hospitality. They hustle and they don it with a smile! We had so many great servers but Susana and Carols really stood out to us. And the guys who organize the activities- I am blanking out on their names- but they were so great, so energetic, and really tried to make sure everyone had FUN! They were literally there leading the morning Yoga at 8am and closing out the night show at 10pm- 6 days a week! And from what we saw, they made every guest feel like they were important. Even giving us hugs goodbye and acting sad that we were leaving! TIP THEM WELL- THEY DESERVE IT!!!!!

I would totally recommend Barcelo based on our time there. Maybe it does make a big difference to book the Club Premium, I don't know...but we loved it and will go back for sure!

• Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Dear Keris B

Thank you for taking the time and share with us your review of your last stay at our resort.

We cannot feel more than happy to read your amazing comments of our staff, we feel proud to have such a wonderful employees working with us.

We appreciate your comments for the food, we are so happy to know that you really enjoyed it and we are working to improve our dinner menu of Las Olas Restaurant.

Receive an apology for the wait at your check in and for the heating of the main pool, we are proposing this new improvement in our property for a better enjoyment of our guests, especially in autumn-winter season, we hope to give a surprise to our guests in the near future.

All your comments are so helpful to improve the highest levels of service for our guests, we will be honored to welcome you again and offer you the best 5 star service that you expect and deserve.

Best Regards,

Sofia Rivera

Been to Barcelo Grand Faro Los Cabos? Share your experiences!