“Location, location, location....” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Grand Faro Los Cabos

You added Barcelo Grand Faro Los Cabos to your Saves list
Barcelo Grand Faro Los Cabos
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd. San Jose s/n, Seccion Hotelera 1 Zona Fonatur, San Jose del Cabo 23400, Mexico   |
Ranked #24 of 37 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Stony Brook, New York
“Location, location, location....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I am a senior adult from New York, who met my adult daughter from San Francisco in Los Cabos for a week of hanging out. One of the best things about this resort was its location--both on the ocean, and within walking distance of the pleasant city of San Jose del Cabo. This location, near a small city, --the walks, the visits to art galleries, a local outdoor art show, the more 'authentic' Mexican atmosphere,-- was a big part of making this resort attractive to me. The resort itself was good quality and provided a festive, comfortable, oppulent setting for a vacation in the sun. The rooms were comfortable, the hotel staff was helpful and gracious. Procedures went smoothly-- the hotel seemed to be well run. A few little 'buts'... I found myself impatient at breakfast about getting my required dose of coffee. I think perhaps the waiters were over-worked, & efforts to get their attention sometimes seemed futile. And I really like my morning coffee. At dinner, the service was gracious and prompt. Completely different. There was loud thumping music played constantly at one of the pools. It wasn't to my taste. And, while it was possible to escape, I didn't enjoy having to look for seating away from the throbbing music. There's a bit of competition in the morning, to get pool-side seats in the shade. I think the resort could use a few more beach umbrellas. I also found myself wishing that hot tea and coffee beverages were as available during the day as were alcoholic beverages. The bar service was amazing, but still, I need my tea and coffee. The food was plentiful and good enough to enjoy eating way too much. I ate only at the buffets and never even bothered to make reservations for a la carte dining. I have no hesitation about recommending this resort to travelers.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (283)
San Mateo, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We got back two weeks ago and we can't stop talking about how amazing it was. The service was phenomenal, the room was spotless, and we never had an issue with housekeeping, and the food was very tasty.

Overall Pros:
-Upgrade to premium, the room itself is totally worth it, the view is amazing
-They gave us this huge, beautiful crib for our 14 mo old
-So easy with a baby, always had a high chair, and plenty of things she could eat. The buffet staff got to know her and they were so friendly and patient when she dropped her spoon for the 10 millionth time
-Infiniti pool was heated
-Proximity to San Jose (really cool city, walk over and check it out) and the Mega where you can catch a bus to Cabo San Lucas
-Whale watching while you eat (we saw so many)
-The shows are fun
-LOVED the sky bar
-The Mexican food was especially outstanding (really ppl, in Mexico, eat Mexican food!!!)
-Every SINGLE person who works there, works incredibly hard. They did everything to make our trip wonderful. Don't be cheap, tip them!!!

Improvements:
-I don't think Expedia lets the hotel know who pays for Premium, so even though we were given a premium room, for two days, we didn't have the premium wrist band, but we didn't feel like we were missing much since the room was already amazing. When we told the front desk that we were premium, they were super apologetic and gave us extra amenities to make up for it. Unfortunately, they failed to tell us there was a whole other premium lounge until the very last day, that kind of sucked, but everything else was so wonderful, we shrugged it off.
-The wifi is very spotty and cuts out all the time, but whatever, you're on vacation
-The portions and food at the Seafood restaurant were a joke, we were so hungry after, luckily the buffet was open.
-Maybe we're just spoiled in California, but the sushi was all rice, no fish. (I should have taken my own 'eat Mexican food in Mexico' advice that day).

Room Tip: Upgrade to Premium
Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Let me start out by saying that I tried, I really tried to give this place the benefit of the doubt. It turns out all the bad reviews were true. It would seem like these guys had never run a resort before and were just trying their best to get by. From the beginning things were bad. I should have known when we went to check in and there are two gals working and a room full of frustrated people wanting to check in or had issues with their rooms. We booked a 'Superior Ocean View' room with a king bed. We were given a room with two 'double' beds facing the construction side (yes there is a lot of construction going on, I'd suggest addressing this right off the bat). When we pointed out this wasn't going to work, we were told that there were no king beds available in the whole resort, unless we upgraded (it was not full). How does that happen? A customer service oriented company would acknowledge the mistake and comp the upgrade. We were met with indifference and ended up paying the extra for the upgrade, $100 a night. When we got to our room, 2 hours later because it wasn't ready at 5pm, we found that the air conditioner leaked a steady stream of water on the floor. Also the bathroom tile was stained, and the grout was pretty gross. The view was good, you can see whales from your balcony this time of year. I'm not sure why it takes so long to clean the rooms, because in four days I can't say that the maid did much more than refill the mini bar and straighten the bed sheets, kind of. The bathroom was not cleaned once.
The food was bad, just bad. Very poor quality buffet, think of the cheapest/worst Vegas buffet you've had, it is like that. The restaurants are tolerable, but the service isn't there. It would be like if you employed a construction worker to be a waiter and gave him no training. We went to the 'Mexican' buffet celebration, easily the worst food of the whole trip, go figure.
Although it would seem that all of the staff have that 'baby deer learning to walk' way doing things, the bell boys have it all figured out. They'll offer you bootlegged internet (which is extra by the way $10 a day), they get you 'hooked up' with discount tours and excursions, all of it makes you feel pretty shady.
We've been to a number of all inclusives, and one thing that bugs me is when a place doesn't 'chair saving' policy in place. Pretty much people are up early in the morning, put their towels on the best pool chairs and may not actually use it until later that afternoon. Kind of annoying I guess. By the way the beach is unswimmable, don't go if swimming in the ocean is in your plans. Lastly, when we went to check out they wanted to charge me for 'Premium' services that we didn't have. Not that it would have mattered, their system was down, and they were pretty much running blind. Again a lobby full of frustrated patrons.
I get that there was a hurricane 4 months ago, but they've got to shut down the whole operation and tighten it up. Because as cheap as the trip was it isn't worth your time right now. The property is nice enough and there is some great potential, but right now it is just disappointing. Don't say you weren't warned. We'll be going back to Cabo at some point but definitely will be at a different resort.

Room Tip: Address the construction right away. You'll see what I'm talking about when you pull up.
Cancun, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

We had let the hotel know both by the tour company we used and by email that we were celebrating our anniversary. They did not acknowledge the fact.. We reserved an Ocean View Premier room that includes additional upgraded amenities.It was a struggle to receive them. The first room we checked in was in was in need of maintenance and deeper cleaning. We wanted a different room and the front desk was not going to accommodate us. It took some persistence on our part to change rooms. The maids, bar tenders and waiters are all so friendly, but the services are very inconsistent. This could be a much better property with better quality control and training from food services to house keeping. I do not think the upgrade is really worth the extra money spent. San Jose Cabo is a lovely location. The next visit will be at another location.

Calgary
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

We just returned from here on Jan 24 2015. The resort is a nice size and has a good layout. And they have done well to recover after the hurricane. But the food in the ala carte restaurants was not good. Barely warm and not that appealing. Be prepared to sit in the restaurant for at least 2 hours as the service is really slow. Although we felt we got a good price for the week ($3000 per couple) we did not get value for the dollar. We would definitely revisit Los Cabos but would stay somewhere else.

Newport Beach, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

From a quick view of the property, one would think that the Barceló was a luxurious resort. When you take a closer look at the cleanliness, service and overall quality of the property, it is most definitely a budget hotel. It is rundown and needs renovation.
I am fine with a no-frills hotel and stay at them all the time, along with the lovely 5 star travel for holiday and business meetings. But EVERY hotel MUST have immaculate cleanliness.
It took at least an hour to check in, and we had reservations. Forget about prior requests of king bed, no smoking. Management knows there is a dearth of rooms available after Hurricaine Odile, so they don't have a huge desire to please.
The tennis courts don't have nets.
The "all inclusive" does not include internet. Save yourself some $$ and go to the internet café across the street and get a cup of coffee. You will enjoy the walk and save the $15 a day fee.
The rooms are awful. Our coffee maker didn't have the carafe. We called 3x for another one and never heard a word. We never got our 2 wake up call requests.. Forget about washcloths! When we put the a/c on, it would leak right on the floor. Drip, drip, drip all night long. The shower was outright DISGUSTING. Tiles had mold, black scum and were overall creepy dirty. I went to the front desk one morning and told them, "the bathroom stinks like urine and there is mold all over the shower." We went back to our room later that day, and nothing had changed.
The Jacuzzi was 90 degrees. They are supposed to be 102-105 degrees. Theirs was more like a big bathtub with almost no bubbles, and don't get me started on the cleanliness of the tile.
Sheets were stiff, no blankets, and I had to ask for shampoo when the maid was in the hallway after completing our room.
The walls were paper thin. I could hear my next door guest sneezing and every word of his conversation with his wife.
The food was pretty good! Buffets offered all types of food options for vegetarians and meat lovers. Breakfast and lunch are the same everyday. Food options change every night, offering Mexican, Italian, and Sushi themes. The service staff were great. They could teach the front desk a thing or two about Customer Service.
I would never stay here again. Since Management had no interest in taking care of me, I would not give them another dime of my money.

Room Tip: Request a room that faces the pool. "pool view" Rather than the typical "oceanfront...
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We got back last night from the Barcelo. Over all my wife and I had a good time. There one or two things that bothered me but overall our time there was good. The resort appears to be fully recovered from the hurricane a few months back.

Ok so about beer. How does a resort run out of beer so often? I can't blame this on the waiters or staff but I think management needs to plan better. The other thing that I did not like was the fact that the pool bar closed at 6 p.m. Management should change this policy. I think people want to be out near the beach not couped up in the main floor lounge. Yes the lounge is open air, but for me personally I think I want to be as close to the ocean as I can all the time. I do realize however this is a peronal opinion.

The good? There is lots of good. Check in was very easy - we had the Superior Room beach front and it is in the main building. We were on the 4th floor and the view is beautiful. You actually overlook the whole resort as well as a south view of the beach and beyond. The room was clean, smelled clean (it was non smoking as requested) and beautiful in itself. They are an eco hotel so they don't give you new towels every day (Every 3rd instead). But the bed was made and everything was cleaned to our satisfaction. The balcony was a nice size for two to sit comfortably and probably have a couple friends over too. Most of the usual amenities are there and of course there is the jet spa tub. One complaint - the beds were too hard but I personally think it's a conspiracy of all resorts to make us want to get up early and go out and spend more. (just kidding)

I simply cannot understand why people have complained about staff in other posts??? The staff where nice, professional and happy to serve. Now I'm making an assumption but if you aren't tipping the staff, then well that's part of the problem. You have to remember how little these wonderful people have to live on. We were always treated with dignity and respect and a lot of good humour. If anything the place needed more staff. There weren't enough of them and that again should be something addressed by management.

I'd like to give a shout out to all the staff. I really enjoyed sitting in the pool bar because the sun gives me a sunburn through a shirt let alone if I go bare chested. A special shout out to all the bar staff who kept my glass full through thick and thin and were very nice people.

Room Tip: The premium option is only an extra $15 a day and is well worth it not just for the rooms but extra...
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
Meredith L, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Barcelo Grand Faro Los Cabos, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Dear Edmonton_Jones

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your review following your last stay at our resort.

We feel so honored to read your great comments about our staff, your room and the pool area.

Your comments are very important to us because we realize what we are doing well and what we have to change or improve to deliver the highest levels of service that or guests deserve.

We want to apologize with you for the lack of beer and about the time that we close the pool bar is a general politic of Barceló but we will keep on mind your suggestions.

We hope to welcome you again in the near future.

Best Regards,

Sofia Rivera.

Been to Barcelo Grand Faro Los Cabos? Share your experiences!