“Nice place, the rooms need a little Love...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Grand Faro Los Cabos

You added Barcelo Grand Faro Los Cabos to your Saves list
Barcelo Grand Faro Los Cabos
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd. San Jose s/n, Seccion Hotelera 1 Zona Fonatur, San Jose del Cabo 23400, Mexico   |
Special Offer
Early booking offer
Ranked #25 of 37 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Superior, Colorado
“Nice place, the rooms need a little Love...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

This is a great place. It has the potential to be much better. It has a great location AND it survived the Hurricane while most of its neighbors did not. It's an older hotel & has changed hands a couple of times, thus the need for love in the rooms. They just need updated, and I am sure they will get to it. I am not usually a fan of all inclusive because I like storing drinks and I like going out to the restaurants, and San Jose has some of the best anywhere, that being said the breakfast was excellent! The lunch we had once & after that just walked up or across the street & tried all the other places too, we never even tried any of the dinner places here. That may sound like a waste but we earned our money at the bars cause they made the drinks however you wanted them. Tip and you shall receive. Tip any way cause they need it bad right now, their income is based on tourism and they all got hit extremely hard by this hurricane, so give everyone some love & you will be helping the whole community., the pools are nice, I did get a little tired of hearing the loud speaker most of the day for all of the Pool activities and crazy loud music ( we weren't he only people with this opinion ) the service and the staff are excellent all the way around, the rooms need a little work & just updated, this is the only thing holding them back, but I would still return.

Room Tip: Club rooms have free WiFi and better drinks
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

So I booked this trip back in May before the hurricane hit Cabo. And after the hurricane I read so many poor reviews. The check in was definitely a bit scary because they are trying to pick up after the disaster hit them. The check in was a tiny little room, but once the bellman walked us into the premium check in area and the resort we felt much better!!! The resort is still under construction which did not bother me, the noise wasn't bad at all, like many people have been complaining about. The resort is simple, nice and clean. The staff was literally AMAZING! Every single person was so nice and helpful especially Nery! The check in ladies at the premium office were amazing too. Everyone was very attentive and catered to all of our needs. You can't go into the ocean in Los cabo, but the pools were nice and warm during our whole stay. We took a little city tour excursion to cabo san lucas and lovers beach where you can go into the water! Anyways the trip was great, I was a little sad the sky bar is still not open but that is a minor issue, that is totally understandable. It was an overall good experience and for the price it was a great deal.

Room Tip: 1420 was a good room
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Great experience at the Barcelo Grand Faro. Everyone truly went out of their way to accommodate the guests. Marco Antonio Lobato and all the restaurant staff were very professional, and very friendly. We had fabulous meals, and long walks on the gorgeous beach. Even witnessed the newly-hatched turtles finding their way to the ocean. Every night we were treated to a great show with a different theme each time. The performers were very talented! Great holiday; hope to return some day.

Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Returned yesterday from a 7 night stay traveling. Six adults, two small children. If the front end staff had Customer Service training this would likely be a 5 star review. After a long day traveling, taking forever to check in is not a great first impression. Elizabet (I think that was what the name tag said) in particular was so rude - ignoring you while she answered phone call after phone call and avoiding our direct questions and in general making a horrible impression. Can't believe no one else has commented on how they had to pre-authorize credit cards (which was what took so much time since their technology often wouldn't work making them swipe and re-swipe cards and then ask for other cards if it didn't work - we wondered what would have happened if we didn't have another card???). One of our party had a pre-auth charge of 7000 pesos. Mine was 5000 for the same stay. I've NEVER stayed in any hotel that had such a large pre-auth and found that very disturbing. I was almost in tears by the time I got to our room only to discover it had only one bed (one of the questions that were ignored at the start). Thankfully a more helpful staff person fixed the issue in less time than the original painful check in process.

After that though, the rest of the stay was pretty amazing. I'm surprised that other reviewers are only moderately happy with the food. Among us, we have stayed in several all-inclusive in several countries/areas and by far Barcelo was the best. There was enough variety in the buffet and top knotch so that the lower than usual a-la-carte restaurants was not missed at all. The Italian restaurant was only so-so with one try but the Mexican was excellent.

We enjoyed the nightly entertainment and the pool side activities. We appreciated the hard work that went into setting everything up for the Mexican Fiesta night - that was extremely well done!

There could be some training done for the cleaning staff to have consistency across the hotel. Nothing was terrible - but we laughed at how between 3 rooms there was such a difference (we had one face cloth once and then never again. 2 of the rooms never did see a bath mat and had to use an extra towel on the floor. Sometimes the bar fridge was completely re-stocked, other times water or pop or beer weren't topped up).

Bar service was hit and miss. For some reason after the first day they only had mint up at the lobby and not down at the pool so if I wanted a mojito I either had to cajol a waiter to go up to get me one or go myself. It did seem to depend which waiter you had on how often them came around the pool and we did tip fairly well so that shouldn't have been an issue I don't think.

We all commented that the ongoing construction is being handled very well. The workers made great progress in the week we were there and yet there never seemed to be noise or clutter that got in the way of our enjoyment of the hotel.

It was advertised that there would be free wi-fi in the lobby but only paid was available so that was a little disappointing but not a deal breaker. The Starbucks by the Mega had wi-fi if we wanted to wander up to check things out.

Overall, I would recommend the Barcelo and would go there again. The food alone set it apart and the ability to check out San Jose or exxcusion to Cabo San Lucas made for a great holiday.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW via mobile

I normally have high expectations because I always stay at Hyatt hotels when I travel. I came in with lowered expectations this time around because I knew they would be recovering from Hurricane Odile. In the end I was pleasantly surprised considering we paid less than what A package would normally cost. Whatever the hotel was lacking because things were under construction was made up in staff and value.

Bellman were friendly, polite and helpful.

Front desk staff was just ok. Only significant negative, they can't change money. I wish they could exchange into pesos or at least have smaller pesos to break bigger bills!!!! This is huge because We tip a lot but can't do it we don't have change. We ended up buying ice cream outside of the hotel across the street just to get change in order to tip.

Our housekeepers were AMAZING! We had a few different ladies cleaning during our week long stay and whenever I needed extra stuff or extra care for certain things they always delivered. I would write short notes in Spanish along with a tip ($3-5) and was always happy. Mayra was one of the cleaners, I wish I knew the other names to give them credit. This service was a big deal to us because a) the airline lost our luggage for the first two days and we needed all toiletries b) we have a one year old that got sick unexpectedly. To sum up, service was excellent if asked.

The pool activity crew was always lively and entertaining. I got the feeling they loved their jobs. The bar staff at the pool was awesome. My husband said Alfredo was his favorite. The wait staff that brought you drinks by the pool were also awesome, especially Monica. She always greeted us with a smile and played with my kid.
The staff at all of the different restaurants quick and attentive.

The woman at the Barcy Club for kids and sometimes worked at the pool was helpful and also played with my kid.

The nightly shows and entertainment was great, to the point where I would pay money to watch. In particular, the Mexican fiesta with the traditional dancing representing different states in the country. It was classy and authentic. I never one thought it was lame or cheesy. I got the feeling the performers really loved their jobs too.

The food was just okay. I wasn't really blown away by any of it. But I think we got our money's worth in that department.

The sports bar was under construction as well as a few other things. The noise from the work being done didn't seem to bother me. I don't think it took away from the atmosphere. It still felt like a resort.

The Barcy Club for kids was a huge disappointment. Although our kid isn't old enough to be left there we went to check it out. It was a dump. It seemed small, old, run down, dirty and a bit unsafe. There was some broken glass and other construction debris in the sand box. We let staff know and also wrote in hotel comments. Hopefully that gets taken care of and cleaned. If you have kids maybe consider going to another resort. Again, this is not related to the staff but to the facility offered.

In summary, I felt the staff is the main reason you would want to stay here. Overall, I got what I paid.

• Stayed December 2014
Meredith L, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Barcelo Grand Faro Los Cabos, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Dear joeyjojoshaba

We appreciate that you took the time to share with us your comments about your last stay at our resort.

We are glad to know that you enjoyed the nightly show and the pool activities with your family, especially the Mexican Fiesta that shows you a little from our traditions.

We will focus on your comments about The Barcy Club, the poor impression for the food and the issue with the exchange at front desk.

Your opinion is so important for us because realize us what kind of issues we have to change and improve to provide the highest levels of service that our guests deserve.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again and change this poor impression about some of our services at the resort.

Sofia Rivera.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

My boyfriend and I were on the hunt for our annual anniversary trip and landed on Los Cabos. We didn't book Barcelo at first but since the hurricane closed the original resort, we decided to switch to Barcelo. I must say, I was concerned at first since I've read reviews about the maintenance and whatnot. It's true that there are still a bunch of repairs happening at the moment but nothing that was an inconvenience or noisy.

We stayed in room 1618 and it had a great view of the pools and beach. Check-in did take a while so, kind of wished that they compensated by offering free Wi-Fi but it's alright - only $30 for 4 days, which can be used on 2 different devices. It was spotty at times and didn't work around the whole resort but it was fine for the two of us as it worked in the room, some parts of the pool and a limited area in the lobby bar.

The service was pretty good, nothing extraordinary but nothing horrible. They definitely appreciate the $1-2 tips and for the 4 nights we were there, I believe we didn't spend more than $25 per person on tips. The food was decent for an all-inclusive resort. The lasagna and salmon bruschetta were amazing at the Italian restaurant and the Mexican restaurant was only OK. The buffet sufficed for breakfast and lunch. The snack bar was sub-par but convenient for poolside dining - fries, onion rings, burgers, hot dogs, chips & guac. Also, you should participate in the poolside games as a lot of times, the prize is an organic massage at the spa!

Tip: DON'T buy into the people at the airport trying to sell you excursions, especially to Cabo San Lucas. If staying at this resort, you can take a 5 minute walk towards the MEGA superstore where across the street is a bus stop, which will take you to San Lucas for $3 per person, one-way. It will take about 30 minutes on the bus and when you get to San Lucas, there will be water taxi's on the beach who will take you to The Arch for $10 per person. The people at the airport will try to say that a cab ride is $40 per way but the bus is definitely the way to go since my boyfriend and I only spent $32 altogether for roundtrip bus transportation and a 30-40 min tour to The Arch.

Overall, I think the resort will look good after all the repairs are done and everyone is friendly. It was a great and relaxing trip!

Room Tip: Top floor is the way to go!
Dear Vivian C,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your review following your last stay at our resort.

We are glad that you liked your room especially the great view to the ocean also that enjoyed your lasagna and salmon bruschetta at Las Gondolas.

Please be assurance that we going to focus to deliver the highest levels of service that our guest deserve and improve the attention at reception, Internet service and Restaurants.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again in the near future.

Sofia Rivera.
Olathe, Kansas, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Despite a slow check-in and a room that wasn't available for three hours, the people and the service was good...internet sporadic and extra...good view. And overall good experience based on the amount of damage at surrounding resorts.

Room Tip: Rooms with the best views also get the nightly entertainment.... Still enjoyable.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
Meredith L, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Barcelo Grand Faro Los Cabos, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Dear Twyla R,

We appreciate that you took the time to share your review following your last stay at our resort.

Your comments are very important for us because let us know if we are doing a good job and what kind of issues we have to improve for deliver the highest levels of service that our guests deserve.

Please be assurance that we will focus to have a better system at front desk and internet.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again and change this poor impression that you have about our resort.

Sofia Rivera

Been to Barcelo Grand Faro Los Cabos? Share your experiences!