“Its ok....Dont trust what reception tell you though” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Grand Faro Los Cabos

Save Saved
You added Barcelo Grand Faro Los Cabos to your Saves list
Barcelo Grand Faro Los Cabos
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd. San Jose s/n, Seccion Hotelera 1 Zona Fonatur, San Jose del Cabo 23400, Mexico   |
Ranked #25 of 39 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
london
“Its ok....Dont trust what reception tell you though”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed today NEW

So the wife and I had stayed in the Hyatt earlier and moved halfway through our 2 week break to the Barcelo. Initial thoughts were it looked clean and friendly with a stunning view. When we checked in, we decided to go with Premium service, which is definitely worth it and I'll explain later.
I'll start with the negative bits
When giving our card to book the room, for some reason the machine was not working properly and it declined our debit and credit card. I checked and there was money in the account. I had 300 euros on me, so I handed it over and was told it would be returned once the card issue was rectified.

The next day, I went down to the premium suite and asked them whether they take full payment or hold the funds. They said they put a hold until check out. So I used credit card, which I didnt want to use but since they only putting a hold on it, I thought would be ok. I went back to reception to collect the 300 euros, but they had sent it to their bank! They offered local currency instead! It took alot of complaining over several days to get our money back in euros!!

Upon check out, we were told the money was taken from the credit card!! despite earlier promises. This made things very difficult for us when travelling home which I wont go into

The room was very nice, bright and very clean. Excellent view and the bar (priorities!) was regularly stocked.
The gym looked good and in terms of eating, there is an open buffet by the pool which served basic food if you were hungry. Personally, if you got premium, lunch up there was so much better and cleaner! The main restaurant is alternates between mexican and Italian and the buffet has a theme of the day which is nice for a change! Breakfast is lovely, great selection and eggs cooked as you like them!!

The checking out left a sour taste for us, but it was ok for what it is. Personally if you can afford it, go for the Hyatt but if you are on a budget, you can do alot worse than the Barcelo

Room Tip: Go for premium, its worth it for the snacks in the private room and free wifi
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
Didsbury, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We traveled from August 14th to 24th, 2014. This was our 4th trip to Cabo and first to the new Barcelo, previously Hola Grand Faro.

We booked two regular rooms and had requested adjoined rooms. When we arrived we were on different floors and we told them our daughters are in 2nd room so not acceptable. They were accomodating and booked us different rooms, I mentioned I needed them adjoined. When we got to the room with the very friendly bell help, we saw we have no joining door. He gladly called for us and they quickly moved us to adjoining rooms. This was good, however the air conditioning did NOT work in the one room. We phoned front desk and explained, nobody fixed. We went to front desk, they came and said it would start working. It never did. The temperature on the wall said the temp was always 28 in that room, 23 in the other that my husband and I slept in. Honestly if it wasn't the room with my young girls in it, I would have been alot more upset that it didn't work but they didn't mind all that much as they spent alot of time in our room or we were at the pool!!! All in all, I must have talked to the front desk at least 7 times about the air conditioning and it never worked. Considering you pay for two rooms, you'd think it would work.........or have been fixed!!

The ladies at the front desk were okay friendly, but nothing overly memorable that's for sure. As I went to speak to them several times about air conditioning, I was never really greeted with or given exceptional customer service to be honest. They were just okay. (Villa del Palmar front desk are amazing!)

The tour people are okay too, they don't really seem to want your business, didn't offer any special deals for excursions....we got a half price deal just by walking over to the mall!!

The rooms are clean and nicely decorated, nothing overly fancy but we don't expect that. Nice big shower in the bathroom. We tipped our maid every single day and yet again, didn't really get any special designed towels or any special things in the fridge like we've had before.....guess they don't do that here!!! Would be nice if they had some nice smelling aroma therapy smells throughout the hotel like the other hotels do.

The bathroom you use by the pool and beach area...you walk downstairs to it....it stunk terribly like urine....was hot and humid!!! they seemed to be cleaning it often but it still stunk. And one stall for sure had no toilet seat, never was fixed the entire stay. I hated having to visit that washroom. Other ones up in lobby and bar were fine.

******The Food was amazing at this resort!!! The head chef was so incredibly friendly and he came to visit us almost every meal and always greeted us. We felt important and he always asked how the food was. He really seemed to have things running smoothly with the food standards. Things tasted great at breakfast and supper! Lunch was okay, to be honest it had alot of seafood on the menu and we are not big seafood eaters. I am sure that some people thought lunch was fantastic! things looked great. We hoped to see more lunch type things and I felt the authentic Mexican food was lacking a bit overall as we love that. The breakfast menu had everything you could imagine on it. Supper time was theme nights and they always had an Italian pasta area that was absolutely delicious!!!!! So if you didn't like the buffet you'd always have Italian. The fish looked so good and fresh, but again we are not really seafood eaters.
Desserts were plentiful and yummy! The restaurants were just amazing too!! The Mexican and Italian. And the waiters in those are to be commended. They treated us like gold and we felt like high rollers! I wish I would have kept their names, but honestly all of them deserve a raise!
We tipped big as we were treated so well and the food was fantastically displayed and flavorful! We went to each twice as my daughters had such a great time and loved the food as well.

Umberto was our pool waiter most days and he was awesome!!! He always remembered our drinks and would bring even when we didn't ask! He was great. The bartenders were good, a bit slow at times but I guess it's Mexico. They open at 11am at the pool bar and 10:30am would be a bit better! The Snack bar was great and we did have lunch there most days as my kids loved that they could run up and get a hamburger. My daughter said they make the best hamburgers!!!

Overall the resort was pretty good and we really did have a good stay. The pool is layed out nice, I love the shallow areas to sit in as it was so hot! I do think they could fix up a few things breaking down and I think they are making attempts too. Such as tiles and concrete areas by pool, tiles falling out in pool....didn't affect us though. I think they need to spend some time fixing up the grounds and more flowers like older pictures I see of the resort. Alot of trees looked like they needed upkeep, but we did see the big wig from Barcelo there and he was directing them to start fixing up things so I'm sure it will be good down the road (Minus the hurricane that is there now!)

I'd say the service, food and pool is what made the stay!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Abbotsford, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Sept. 6-13,2014. Just missed the hurricanes at either end of this week and spent a much needed quiet time in virtually every part of the complex. Very hot, clean, fabulous food with exquisite detail to presentation and service at every turn. Lots of management and caring staff from check-in (Maria) to check-out. We would recommend the Premium upgrade for the service you receive in return..you do really feel special. Win bingo and receive spa treatments, swim in very clean, maintained pools, special coffees at the fire pit at 9 with Marcelo is amazing. The Sky Bar needs some improvement toward upgrading and I have forwarded those thoughts through the hotel questionnaire, some famous brands of liquor were missing from the offering and some bar staff were needing further training. We would definitely go to another Barcelo all-inclusive vacation as these travelers truly enjoyed their stay!. Paul and Esther, Abbotsford, B.C. Canada

Room Tip: We stayed in 1511 at this all-inclusive which is "dead centre" of the complex (above the p...
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

I have stayed at Barcelo resorts in other areas of Mexico and in Europe, this one pretty much matched my experiences at the other resorts. It's a clean, well-decorated and well-maintained property without a lot of frills. The food is decent and the drinks are what you would expect at an all-inclusive. It's not really safe to go swimming at the beach but it's easy to take one of the commuter buses down the coast to one of the swimming beaches or to Cabo San Lucas (find the Mega grocery store about a 10-minute walk away, cross the highway in front of Mega and pick a spot to stand and flag down the purple bus or the SuburCabos bus, it's about $3 per person each way). It's a 15-minute walk to downtown San Jose or a $1 local bus ride, but there are restaurants and a little mall across the street from the resort.

We will probably not come back during this time of year, it was very hot and humid, we were told by a shop owner that the weather is much nicer between November and March. Even the pool water was very warm.

Be warned, there is music playing by the pool most of the time from late morning into the evening.

Room Tip: You might have to do some finagling to get a king-sized bed if you don't book the room type that...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Loveland, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

We had a grand stay at Barcelo Grand Faro.

The hotel was just perfect for us, top to bottom. The room was excellent -- clean, comfortable and very well maintained -- and the staff was efficient and friendly throughout our stay.

We had the all-inclusive package, and thus enjoyed a very carefree, relaxing visit. From the beautiful (and clever) gardens, to the exceptionally clean swimming pools, creative chefs, great food, pleasant servers, and delightful entertainers, this hotel surpassed our expectations.

We had our daughter, son-in-law and 1-year-old grand daughter with us, and the trip was a pleasure for them as well.

I highly recommend it.
Rick in Colorado

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

First off let me say that I was a little skeptical considering some of the reviews I had read before my trip. I honestly expected to be kind of disappointed with my stay at the Barcelo Grand Faro.

This trip was the best mini vacation I have ever taken!! If you're not hard to please then you'll have a blast at this hotel!

Looking back at the reviews, I could see the points that people made from waits at the bars, to buffets closing, to not all restaurants being open all the time...BUT HELLO PEOPLE, THEY'RE HUMAN TOO!

Typically there was a wait at the pool bar (minor 5 minutes here & there) but that was because other people would order more than 4 drinks at a time for their group. Give the bartenders a chance to make their drinks, you're not the only ones on vacation. Also, the hotel gives you a newsletter every day which was so cute that gives you TIMES for everything going on. There was always a buffet open! one for breakfast, one for lunch & one for dinner. Reservations had to be made for the a la carte restaurants which was easy to do. So just read them & plan your day out. It's not that hard.

Anyways, to the good stuff:

Aldo at the front desk got us checked In real fast & gave us a great deal for wifi! He was pleasant & helpful!

The sky bar was BY FAR MY FAVORITE ! Francisco made the best drinks in the hotel in my opinion. Shots were creative & he was great company!

The pool guys were very entertaining. We played volleyball & bingo by the pool, also won a gift certificate to the spa! Humberto was such a good server in the pool area, he had a good sense of humor & always talked to the guests.

At the Gondola (Italian restaurant), Jairo was hands down the best and sweetest server! He was very polite & made our dinner very comfortable. The food was amazing! Their white pasta beats olive garden.

The food in general was great, the pool snacks were okay not great but not terrible. All buffets were amazing! The drinks were yummy. Pool on the beach w/Skyy was my best friend that weekend. All staff was amazing, friendly, and entertaining which made the stay that much better.

I am already missing this place, I am definitely going back soon!!!

Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Meredith L, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Barcelo Grand Faro Los Cabos, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Jazmin A,

Thank you for choosing Barcelo Grand Faro Los Cabos to spend your vacations, we are glad to hear despite you read this negative reviews you gave us a chance to show you how we make our best to deliver the highest levels of service our guest deserve.

We are pleased to read you had the best experience ever at our resort and to hear you enjoyed all our facilities from the activities until having an amazing drink at our Sky bar, I hope you enjoyed the beautiful view from there.

Please rest assured that we are going to share your gratitude with all the staff you kindly took the time to mention.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you need any assistance planning your next get away to Los Cabos. It will be our pleasure to welcome you again in the near feature.

Warm regards,
Meredith López
Asistente Ventas / Sales Assistant
Barceló Grand Faro Los Cabos
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My friends and I experienced a lot of rain and wind for 2 days out of the week that we were there, however we were still entertained by 3 workers there Edie, Jazmin, and JC..they were awesome and super friendly. They kept us busy with fun games and events to attend at night time. Their boss Fernando on the other hand wasn't so great. We found him a bit rude and not so friendly.
But overall, those 3 made it a great experience and very enjoyable.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Mherbb,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us a review following your last stay at our resort.

We are glad to hear even though you were on the rainy days you had fun with our entertainmet staff, as you could see they are good at, heir makes our guest have the time of their lifes!!! We are sorry to hear you notice the attitude of Fernando kind of unfriendly, he is also really fun, he is the one makes the activities program and he loves to make our guest have fun with all his team.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again in the near feature. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you need any assistance planning your next get away to Los Cabos.

Warm regards,
Meredith López
Asistente Ventas / Sales Assistant
Barceló Grand Faro Los Cabos

Been to Barcelo Grand Faro Los Cabos? Share your experiences!