“Great Time, but.....” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Grand Faro Los Cabos

Save Saved
You added Barcelo Grand Faro Los Cabos to your Saves list
Barcelo Grand Faro Los Cabos
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd. San Jose s/n, Seccion Hotelera 1 Zona Fonatur, San Jose del Cabo 23400, Mexico   |
Ranked #25 of 39 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Milan, Illinois
“Great Time, but.....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Was at the Barcelo from 7/12 to 7/19, upgraded to the premium package which is the best money I've spent on any vacaction. Al a carte restaruants had some of the best food I've had in Mexico. I want to commend Jimmy at the pool bar, who saw what was happeneing and took steps to correct it (more on that later). Jesus in the Albatros dining room was fantastic, after a couple of days, he was waiting for us every morning with coffee, tea and an ash tray in hand. We got to the resort 3.5 hrs late because once again Frontier airlines was late leaving Chicago. (Never been on a Frontier flight that was on time, Apple, find someone else for your charter flights). Maria, our concierge was waiting and made chech-in a breeze. resort was probably no more than 50% full. Now the problem, my wife and I go to Mexico 2-3 times a year, always all-inclusive, and have never experienced the discrimination against non-spanish speaking people that we did on this trip. I'm not talking about in town I talking about at the resort. We always seen a little discriminationn on our summer trips but wrote it off due to 90% of the guest are spanish speaking during the summer, but this trip it was blatant and obvious. Jimmy at the pool bar saw it happen to us repeatedly the first couple of days and finally came over, apologized, and went out of his way to make our trip fun. The other bartenders would make eye contact and then go to a spanish speaking customer. Same thing happened in the buffet restraunts, Thank God for Jesus who treated everyone the same and made us look forward to breakfast every morning. We love the Barcelo and have been to 4 different ones a total of 7 times, we will definitely second guess going to another, especially during our summer trips.

Room Tip: Go Premium
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Meredith L, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Barcelo Grand Faro Los Cabos, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Dear John,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your feedback following your last stay at our resort. We are glad to know you love Barcelo Hotels & Resorts, we are pleased to read we were part of your Barcelo´s experiences.

We are delighted to read you lived the Club Premium benefits, absolutely a VIP service you can join at our resort as you could notice from your check in until your check out. We feel proud to hear that the food you tried at our resort was one of the best you have ever tried in our country.

We are very sorry to hear you felt this discrimination, the experience you describe is certainly not typical of the level of quality we must deliver to our guests: however we are going to focus on your comment and we are going to addressed this situation to the training department.

We hope to have the honor to welcome you again the next summer, it will be our pleasure to pamper you. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you need any help planning your next get away to Los Cabos.

Barceló Grand Faro Los Cabos

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
Sacramento
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014 via mobile

Booked a premium room with ocean view. Was given a pool view and the receptionist said that you can see the ocean from a distant.
Extremely poor service. No one picks up the phone for room service.
You have to make a reservation for few a restaurants in the resort. Despite of making one, you have to wait a long time for food. Short staffed.
It's a scam to have a premium package. There is no perk to having one except the concierge to check in and out!!
I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. Pay a little more and find a better hotel for yourself.

• Stayed July 2014
Dear Lavclin,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback about your experience at Barceló Grand Faro Los Cabos. We are very sorry to hear that we were short in your expectations.

We are taking your comments very seriously in order to improve our level of service, food consistency, including a clear understanding of the inclusions of our Club Premium.

Elgin, Illinois, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

You may see from my title that my main complaint about this hotel is that it is too far away from Cabo San Lucas! If you haven't been to Cabo before you will immediately recognize that Cabo San Jose is separated from all the touristy and fun things to do there by a $40-$50 cab ride plus tip to Cabo San Lucas. Our concierge at the hotel even admitted that there weren't many good restaurants in the vicinity and we should go to San Lucas for most of our needs.

As for the hotel itself, it is situated on the beach where waves come crashing down in pounding succession and you are encouraged to not swim at all. (Another thing that Cabo San Lucas has going for it, is that you can swim moderately on it's shores due to it's location.) The staff is very friendly here though and I couldn't find not even one employee who looked like they were unhappy to be there. Every person was polite and well versed in English, although they did teach us some Spanish while we were there. We had fun with that!

On to the food. This is my only other complaint. They have buffets set up at all times of day for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The food was just okay for breakfast and lunch, nothing too authentic Mexican. It felt like a more Mexicanized version of American food most of the time which missed the mark. But dinner was plain awful. Every night they had a different theme of food and whether it was Italian or Mediterranean it tasted greasy and bad. What I was surprised about was that they didn't have a Mexican themed night! I came all the way down to Mexico thinking I would get the best tacos and quesadilla meals of my life and I did not have a one. They have a more formal dinner restaurant on the premises but do to a language barrier and misinformation on the hotel information booklet, we thought it closed down at 5pm. Turns out, that is the last time you can call to make a reservation for later in the evening. Since we were mostly out and about, we never ate there.

As for the room, it was very nice. It had two double beds that were very comfortable and even though it was our honeymoon we enjoyed sleeping in our own bed most nights :) It had a small balcony that gave us a small glimpse of the ocean which was still beautiful. Our mini-fridge was stocked with bottled water and beer every day for free and they did a great job of tidying up while we were out for the day.

To sum up our stay, we loved the staff, the room, and the price. We also really liked the swim up pool bar and adjacent snack bar. We also enjoyed having an all-inclusive stay. But if we had the choice again, we would stay in Cabo San Lucas because even if you did not like the hotel food, you could find a restaurant nearby that would suit you. Unfortunately, it all boils down to location!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Meredith L, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Barcelo Grand Faro Los Cabos, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Dear Amber P,

Thank you for sharing with us a review following your last trip to Los Cabos, the perect destination for honeymooners.

We are pleased to hear you enjoyed the view you had from your room and to read our staff was able to create a memorable experience of your vacation.

About the food we will let our head chef know all your comments, who is going to work in a regional buffet; actually we do have a Mexican night every Friday, with mariachi playing, typical dishes and a Mexican show, it is a blame you missed it, for sure you are going to love it.

We hope to have the honor to welcome you again and show you our best quesadillas ever !!!

Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

I was here in February, and can say this is a beautiful spot for an amazing vacation. The grounds are immaculately kept, everything is clean and orderly. The service is all around pretty great (in English as well) and helpful – I didn't feel too far away from home.

We usually got lunch at the poolside snacks bar – but buffets otherwise. The dinner reservations fill up quickly, so book these early unless you want to eat late (we actually didn't use any of our credits, the buffet food was pretty good).

I am also doing a shout out to Jesus Villa in the Las Olas buffet (waterfront) – if you go to this restaurant, ask for this waiter. He'll make sure you get the best table, and make sure everything is just right for your stay, every morning. Ask him questions about activities in and around the resort, too. He made our morning, every day!

Yes, call it a "first world problem", but the WiFi did not work in our room (which you have to pay for). Tried on multiple devices, simply wouldn't issue an IP – hope this is now fixed! However, the management was happy to provide a credit and let me continue to use the internet in the lobby.

I will be back again!

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms aren't necessarily that much "ocean view" – simply, you can see the o...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dear David C,

Thank you for sharing with us a review regarding your last stay at Barceló Grand Faro Los Cabos.

We are delighted to hear we made you felt as at home and to read you had such a great time at our resort. Jesus is going to be happy to know his effort and kindness has been remembered by you, we are going to share your comments with him.

It is great to know you want to come back again, we are going to be ready to create another memorable expercience; please do not to hesitate to contact us if you need any help planning your next get away to Los Cabos.

Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

I just got back from a fabulous 7 day vacation at this resort. I have just one complaint. The fridge in the room was never cold. Oh well, they had an ice machine right down the hall. The staff were so nice and wonderful to us. From the front desk, waiters and my favorites....the pool bartenders! they were so nice and friendly. They always appeared to be happy to see us return..day after day. They worked hard and I never saw them slow down.. ever. The food was fabulous. Anyone who complains must have some unrealistic expectations. There was so much variety of food that there was something for everyone. I would go back in a heartbeat...

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Meredith L, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Barcelo Grand Faro Los Cabos, responded to this review, July 20, 2014
Dear Jshuttlew,

We do appreciate you took the time to share with us your comments following your last trip to Los Cabos.

Every time when we received comments like yours we feel honored and pleasured to know we are able to exceed our guest expectations. We are delighted to hear all our staff made you feel as special as you are for us.

We hope to have the honor to welcome you again in the near feature, it would be our pleasure to assist you.

Irvine, Ca.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

My husband and I traveled to this resort last week for a family wedding. I stayed at an all-inclusive before which I loved and would return to, but it was way more expensive. Since this resort was so cheap, I went into it with much lower expectations. Even so, I wasn’t that impressed with the resort and wouldn’t return. I had a blast, but it was because of the people I was with, not the resort.

The things that are most important to me at an all inclusive are quality of food, drinks, room, service, and on-site activities. So, I will review each of these.

Food:
- The resort has a weird system for food that I didn’t think was clear from the website. Unless you are club premium, you can only eat at the non-buffet restaurants a certain number of times based on the length of your stay. I was club premium so it didn’t affect me, but other members of our group were affected.

- You have to make reservations at the sit down restaurants the day you plan to eat there. If you don’t have reservations, they will not seat you even if the restaurant is only half full.

- We had to wait about 10 minutes to be seated at the buffet even though most of the tables were open and the waiters only jobs were to get drinks and clear tables. This didn’t make sense to me.

- The indoor seating at both buffets we visited was very very warm. It could use air conditioning for sure. Just sit outside, it is prettier anyway.

- We ordered a quesadilla from room service once and it took about 40 minutes to arrive. It seemed like the leftovers from dinner service because the guacamole had brown spots and the refried beans were dried out. It was okay for a midnight snack.

- We ate off of special menus twice; once for the rehearsal and once for the wedding. This food was very good. Otherwise, we ate at the buffets. The breakfast buffet at Las Olas was good (bacon, made to order omelets, pastries, waffles, fruit, potatoes, etc.), but I was disappointed that there weren’t Mexican options… I’m in Mexico, I want Mexican food! Everything at the oriental buffet at Albatros was way too salty. The only things I could eat were the made to order chicken and veggie stir fry and desserts. Nachos at the pool bar were fine but the hamburger was rubbery and I was surprised that my jalapeno popper actually turned out to be a chicken nugget. My brother in law has Celiac disease, and the staff tried very hard to accommodate his needs. He has an app that described the condition in Spanish which was useful. I know of five people, myself included, who had upset stomachs; we ate and drank exclusively at the resort for four days. Bring Imodium or pepto just in case.

Drinks:
- The drinks weren’t super strong, but they tasted good. We would get shots at club premium in plastic cups and take them out to the pool to add to our cocktails and that worked out well.

- They definitely need more bartenders. Service at the pool bar was slow, but whatever because you’re just relaxing in the pool anyway. It took 20 minutes to get a drink in the sky bar. I felt bad for the bartender because he was working as fast as he could to keep up. He needed some help for sure. There is a nice view from up there so I would take a visit around sunset.

Room:
We booked our room in May, and I checked the prices at the end of June and they had gone down $100. We called and asked them to honor the cheaper price, and they did no problem. I was very specific in my room request based on what other reviewers said. I asked for an ocean view, away from construction, king bed, on the 4th floor or higher. All of my requests were met. We stayed in the Sol Tower room 1419. The bed was comfortable, we had a great view, we couldn’t hear the neighboring guests other than an occasional squeaking sliding glass door above us. It was adequately clean, but not perfect. Our mini fridge had juice boxes, bottled water, pepsi, sprite, and iced teas along with some snacks. They restocked it daily. We knew the people in room 1415 and checked there room out, too. It was right by the elevator, also had a great view, and their tub had jets in it while our tub did not. Something I liked about the resort was that everything was close to the room so you could run up to it fast if you needed something.

Service:
- The bellhops were friendly, Katherine in the club premium lounge was friendly and helpful, the activity leaders at the pool were fun, and there were some nice waiters, but for the most part, the staff seemed like I was inconveniencing them. I should point out that I am very polite and tip well, but this didn’t seem to matter.

Activities:
- We spent most of our time in the pools. The pools and spas are all the same temperature except for the salt water infinity pool which was slightly cooler. None of them were ever too crowded, but the lounge chairs filled up fast, so reserve one early by putting your stuff on it. The infinity pool was especially great at night with the moon shimmering on the ocean. The middle pool was the activity pool. We played water volleyball with a bunch of people once and had fun.

- The ocean has strong rip tides so you can’t swim in it.

Wedding:
- The wedding was beautiful. They set it up on the beach, and it looked great. The flowers were pretty, the person the resort contracted with to do the bride’s hair and makeup did a great job, and the reception was a lot of fun. They had a good DJ and fireworks at the end.

Club premium:
- I would definitely upgrade to get a better view, bigger room, faster check-in, unlimited room service, and access to the club premium lounge.

Room Tip: Superior Ocean Front Club Premium rooms 1415 and 1419 were both nice rooms with great views (see pic...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear hmsd25,

We do appreciate you took the time to share with us your feedback following your last stay at our resort.

I would like to offer you our most sincere apologies for the inconveniences experienced during your stay. Your comments are extremely valuable as they help us monitor our operations as you helped us being specific on the areas you consider are important: food, drinks, room, service and activities. By copy of this letter to our department heads I am requesting all issues be reviewed in order to provide the service our guest deserve.

Please accept our most sincere apologies and we all look forward to having the opportunity to better serve you during your next visit to Cabos.

Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

We used to stay at the original Barceló which is now a Hyatt.
This hotel is a little smaller and less options for restaurants but still delivers the same excellent service, great food and relaxing atmosphere.
Great value considering how cheap it is, but doesn't have any cheap feel.
If you are looking for a cheap getaway without staying in a dive, this is worth it.

Positives: Upgrade to the Premium and upgrade to a Ocean View Room. Room 2339?
Great Buffet's. Always cooking something fresh. Amazing fresh fish and seafood.
Sushi is the same as Edo.... Italian has amazing mussels and scallops, best waiter Jairo. Mexican is Mexican..
Hornitos tequila is a must. shaken over ice.
Premium Lounge. They have 2 ladies in there that are amazing. Katherine and Maria. Both friendly and beautiful. We had one horrible guy named Arturo. He was very rude to my wife upon checking in. He couldn't find our reservation and thought we weren't supposed to be in the Premium Lounge.
Spa is amazing service and great price. $120 gets you a serious massage.
Buffet at the pool all day

Negatives: Beds are too firm. I woke up with a sore back every night. WiFi- is free with Premium, expensive if not. Some bad spots in the hotel but generally great. Main pool would get pretty nasty after all the sunscreen and alcohol from the swim up bar. But 80% of the time great.
TV's are outdated. aren't interactive and connected like the old Barceló/new Hyatt.

All in all, the negatives are easy to live with for the cheap price.
If you have the money, go to Hyatt or Zoetry or Melia.
If you are on a tighter budget but still like a relaxing resort with above average food.
The new Barceló is a steal of a deal.

Room Tip: Get the ocean view in the corner. bigger rooms. 2 patios. sleep hearing the ocean waves.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Meredith L, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Barcelo Grand Faro Los Cabos, responded to this review, July 19, 2014
Dear SukeKeo,

We do appreciate you took the time to write a review following your last stay at Barceló Grand Faro Los Cabos.

We are pleased to read you noticed the high levels of service were are known for as Barcelo company. It is great to hear you enjoyed the fresh food that our chefs cook for our guet and to know you tried the Hornitos Tequila, you absolutely choose a good one.

We are sorry for this inconvenience your wife has, but foutunately Maria and Katherine were able to change this poor impression you had had at the begining in your check in.

We are going to consider your comment about the pool, actually every day we clean it in order to make our guest comfortable and safe.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again in the near feature.

Asistente Ventas/ Sales Assistant
grandfaroloscabos.ventas-asist@barcelo.com

Been to Barcelo Grand Faro Los Cabos? Share your experiences!