We stayed at the Barcelo Grand Faro from March 2-9. We upgraded upon booking to the Club Premium.
Check-in was smooth, we were ushered off to the Club Premium lounge immediately upon arrival. We were greeting with a warm smile and friendly attendant, and drinks and snacks were ready in the lounge as well.
Our room was very nice, and a bottle of sparkling wine, damiana, and chocolate covered strawberries welcomed us. We booked Ocean front room, which was in the first building, set the furthest from the ocean...while my photos of the view from the room look nice, our actual view included building 2 and the construction site beside - to get the nice views we had to face left... Speaking of the construction site - I can honestly say that we never heard the construction or machinery as some other reviews mentioned, so other than an eyesore, it really wasn't a big deal at all. Room was clean.
We weren't overly impressed with the food. I had higher expectations given the other AI resorts I have stayed at weren't quite the calibre that the Barcelo resorts are known for. That being said, we liked almost everything, but I did expect more. Food was never overly warm, and for example - during breakfast - the pancakes were crunchy they were so dry. We didn't eat at the A La Cartes - not quite sure why not. I did eat at the Sushi restaurant, and my experience was not enjoyable. Nothing wrong (ie - no sour fish or anything like that), just maybe not great quality ingredients? I don't really know. Just wasn't good. The snack bar was nice during the day, and disappointingly enough was the only restaurant where I could find jicama.
The main reason we booked the Club Premium was for the wi-fi. Given the nature of my job, I need to be able to keep in contact with my email/office somewhat regularly. For the first few days, the wi-fi worked impeccably well. By the 3rd day I couldn't connect from my room, the connection they told me to use was no longer there, and calls to the front desk went completely unresolved. When the wi-fi connection was there, I couldn't connect to it. At one point someone said, "Lady. Your wifi not supposed to work in room." Yes it is. Coincidentally on the same day, all of the English channels on the TV also disappeared. Those reappeared a day or two later. And while some may say that I'm on vacation who needs wi-fi. I need contact with my office so I CAN enjoy my vacation.
The hotel is quiet and the staff was not overly enthusiastic or friendly. Usually when travelling the bartenders are fun, upbeat, remember you or your drink of choice. I found that one of that happened here. The bartenders not friendly, only one pool-side waiter, and no matter how much you tipped it didn't get you better service. This was really disappointing. Again, I just simply expected more. One morning (early, as we had an excursion), I had to seat myself during breakfast and not once did a waiter come to me. Our room was not cleaned/tidied/re-stocked to my satisfaction once - thankful that the room was impeccably clean upon check-in. I'm not hard to please, but if the maid takes out 4 towels, she should replace with 4 towels. We had a few plates on our table with food that was clearly more than a day old - two days went by without it being taken out. I had to track down the maid for toilet paper one day right after she had been in our room. Same goes for water and snacks in the fridge. I feel that I need to mention the experience in booking an excursion as well. With the resort credits there was $20 off an excursion. Trying to get that was like pulling teeth. First they denied, and then I said I could go to the room and get my ipad where I have the credit list saved, and then they said we didn't qualify, and then finally I was able to get the credit. Not how I expect to be treated.
I'm not sure what else to mention. The main pool with the swim up bar is cold, but not nearly as the reviews say. For us Canadians, after a minute in the pool with the +28 C temperatures outside, it was delightful. Although, bar service at the swim up bar stinks, regardless of how much you tip. One morning I gave the bartender a $10 bill, no thank yous, and he certainly didn't remember that the next time I went up. The sky bar is very neat, awesome views and very good service up there; however, it doesn't open until 6 pm, and is not where we chose to spend our evenings. At the pool bar try to the Little Monkey with dark rum. YUM! Also the La Isla is very tasty!
We spent quite a few evenings off-property at restaurants in San Jose or along the plaza across from the hotel. I'll review these places separately though.
All in all, I don't think I would return. But, I also don't think I would return to the Cabo area either.
- Also Known As:
- Hola Grand Faro Los Cabos Hotel San Jose Del Cabo
- Hola Grand Faro Los Cabos Hotel
- Crowne Plaza Los Cabos
- Crown Plaza Los Cabos
- Barcelo Grand Faro Los Cabos San Jose Del Cabo
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The hotel Barceló Grand Faro Los Cabos***** is a resort situated on the shores of the spectacular beach on the Sea of Cortés. It is a hotel for enjoying the peace and quiet of Los Cabos, the relaxing atmosphere of San José and the gentle whisper of the sea. The hotel boasts 350 luxurious rooms and suites distributed over 3 buildings: Luna, Estrella and Torre Sol. All the rooms have a private balcony with views over the Sea of Cortés and are equipped with a number of first class details to ensure your stay is a memorable occasion. The most discerning guests can enjoy the Barceló All Inclusive programme on offer at the resort. The Barceló Grand Faro Los Cabos hotel is well-known as one of the best All Inclusive hotels in the area thanks to the quality and added value it offers its guests. There are 5 restaurants and 3 bars in the hotel offering a wide-range of gastronomy, including an extraordinary selection of international, Mexican and Italian cuisine. Its on site convention and meeting centre boasts 2,620 m2 of space to accommodate all types of events. Plan your corporate meetings, conventions or weddings in the best facilities on offer in Los Cabos. And not forgetting the youngest members of the family, who can have fun in the hotel's water park or in La Tortuga, the children's club. The Barceló Grand Faro Los Cabos hotel is the perfect choice for enjoying your trip. If you are travelling for business, or spending a holiday with your partner or family, don't hesitate in visiting us! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, BookIt.com, Barcelo, Booking.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Tingo, Hotels.com, getaroom.com, Priceline, Otel, Venere and Fareportal so you can book your Barcelo Grand Faro Los Cabos reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.