“Great hotel would return here anytime, tips to save a buck.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort

Save Saved
You added Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort to your Saves list
Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Carretera Transpeninsular Km. 19.5, San Jose del Cabo 23447, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Rate
$169 (USD)
Ranked #2 of 39 hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Portland, Oregon
“Great hotel would return here anytime, tips to save a buck.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2011

The second you arrival at this hotel you are handed a welcome drink and right over the large fountain you can see straight through the bar and right to the ocean. There are 2 main pools and plenty of seating to be found almost at all times. Nice infinity pool that looks out to the ocean. You could literal sit and eat sushi while watching whales jump out of the water. The beach is not sand made up of tiny peebles. The hotel rakes it every day kinda cool. Wave runner rentals available right on the beach but kinda pricey(not affiliated with hotel) Staff was very nice, and very trust worthy and helpful.
The only bad things I can say about this hotel are as follows. Food and drink are expensive. Paid $9 for a cup of coffee in the restaurant? So if you do stay here and are not made of here is a tip. Goto the giftshop on the bottom level. They sell sandwiches, salads and coffee for more reasonible prices.
Also recommend you never miss happy hour. The Pina Colada's are awsome and they come with free appitizers.
Other bad thing, taxi ride kinda spendy from this hotel. You are in the middle of both Cabo's so it's like $30 each direction so a trip to town could be $40-$60 which gets spendy if you leave the hotel. Stop when you arrive and buy cases of water at the store this will save you from paying the $3-4 for water at the hotel, buy beer too :) The rooms have mini friges use them. Very relaxing and you don't really need to leave the hotel or want to somtimes.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
GabrielaBarron, General Manager at Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, January 6, 2011
Thanks for posting your review of our resort! We want every part of your stay to exceed your expectations and it looks like you enjoyed your experience overall. It’s great you were able to come during whale season – it is definitely an unforgettable sight! Thank you for your tips and suggestions. We know other travelers will find them to be helpful. We would like to mention that if you don’t want to spend the extra money by taking a taxi, there is a bus stop in front of our hotel. You can take the bus to Cabo San Lucas and San Jose Del Cabo and it is about $1 USD each way per person. The bus runs every 15 minutes until 10:30 p.m. Thanks for sharing and we hope to welcome you back again!

2,377 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (549)
Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2011

We stayed here early December 2010. The hotel exceeded all expectations. The staff was extremely friendly!!! The service incredibly and the food was really really excellent. Very nice pools (and poolrestaurants!) and beach as well. Spacious rooms and bathrooms with fast internet and fantastic views. The only minor thing is that the quality of the beds and pillows could be better to complete the fantastic overall level and that noise from the corridors might prevent sleeping in. But why should you stay in your room for long in such a fantastic place!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
GabrielaBarron, General Manager at Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, January 5, 2011
Thank you for posting a review! At Hilton Los Cabos, our facilities and amenities are top-notch, but we know our service is what sets us apart from other Four-Diamond hotels. It’s great to see you had a positive overall experience and we hope you will choose us again for your next beach getaway!
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2011

My family (My husband, myself, and 12 and 16 year old boys) just returned from a very relaxing week at the Hilton Los Cabos! Sorry this review is so long, but I don’t want to leave anything out!

Airport Transportation:
We arrived at the airport and were shuttled to our hotel via TransCabo http://www.cabosanlucastours.net/Airport-Transportation.htm. After we swam through the time share people we saw our driver who quickly carried our bags and gave us a smooth transport directly to the hotel. We did do a round trip with them - which was very convenient - just make sure they do not want to pick you up 3+ hours prior to your departure (we called and changed the time to 2 hours and that was plenty).

Local Transportation:
We took the bus ($1.80) into Cabo which was great (taxi back to the hotel $25). We also took the bus into San Jose Del Cabo, but it was about a 10 block (maybe a little less than a mile) walk from the bus stop down into the old town area - not difficult and all downhill. You can rent a car from National in the lobby by the adult pool. FYI – When I looked into reserving a car before we left – rates were about $60 per day. When I called the car rental desk upon our arrival, I was quoted $100 a day (when I told him that was too much $$, he offered to give me a better rate if I came down to the desk?), and when I go online in the business center at the Hilton and looked up rates it was $50 per day. So…that might helpful info if you are considering renting a car.

Hilton:
Check in: We arrived at the Hilton's lovely open air lobby and were given a wonderful pomegranate margarita and lemonade for the kids. They had our paperwork ready and took us directly to our room - we never had to stand at the reception desk. We are Hilton Gold - and while we did not get a room upgrade (which was just fine - the location and quality of almost all the rooms is spectacular) it would have been nice to be able to inquire about a room upgrade before being taken to our pre-assigned room.

The Room/Views: we were given was on the top floor - front and center overlooking the main pool with a full ocean view. All the rooms have an ocean view - some are straight towards the ocean and some to the side. The hotel is shaped like a W - with a pool inside each "v". The main pool is more family friendly and busier. The adult pool is very quiet. Each pool area has a hot tub, and swim up bar (adult pool is sushi and main pool is burgers/tacos). The rooms are beautiful and I think even the worst room must be fantastic - the furnishings, amenities, bathrooms, etc are all top notch. We saw whales off the coast on several days as well as rays jumping in schools out of the water.

The Pools: Beautiful, warm and even during the busy week - very quiet and relaxing. Chairs are padded and super comfy. Towel service. As mentioned by earlier postings, the chair situation is crazy. People are down there at 4 or 5 in the morning saving chairs in prime locations. We did hear of an altercation that took place one morning when one woman came down at 5:30 to reserve her chairs and found another family reserving "her" spot. For those that like to sleep in on their vacation, there are chairs available off to the sides and at the adult pool. We were also there at a prime week and I do not think this goes on during low weeks. The best part about the pool is that they do not blast music all day long (every Hilton we have stayed at blast music –not restful!). It is very quiet! They also come around the pool in the afternoon with free tequila shots for adults and popsicles as well as free massages. The Mariachi band comes out every afternoon for about an hour and that was very enjoyable.

The Beach: They have a nice beach area where you can rent a jet ski ($60 for ½ hour - $100 for 1 hour), a kayak, horse rides, tours. The beach is swimmable – most days – and the water is beautifully clear (but a little chilly). There is food service at the beach, umbrellas, palapas. Vendors were there, but not too bothersome. Plenty of space for football/Frisbee throwing as well as a volleyball net/balls. My husband got up every morning and fished right off the beach at the hotel (he took his rods and lures – but here is a tackle shop in cabo too).

The Hotel/Restaurants: The grounds are immaculate and the hotel is clean and beautifully maintained. The service is amazing and there is an employee there to meet your every need. The staff is courteous and polite and extremely helpful. The restaurants are all fantastic, although I felt the dinner buffets were a little too pricy ($55 pp – not a deal for my picky 12 year old who ate 2 things). I think the non-buffet restaurants are a better value and the food is made to order AND they have kid’s menus. As Hilton Honors, we were given 2 breakfast coupons per day for the continental breakfast at two of the restaurants - the lobby bar "la Vista" or the "Meridian", which could be upgraded to a full buffet for an additional $8. The breakfast buffet is very good and I would suggest that if you have one meal at the buffet, it be that one! This is not an inexpensive hotel – and as a previous poster said – you get what you pay for and this is a 4/5 star hotel, so be prepared. By the adult pool they have a wonderful deli/shop that you can pick up sandwiches, sodas, medicine, clothes, magazines, and a good latte, etc. The sandwiches are made to order and very tasty – and ran about $10 for a large sandwich. Ray Romano was a guest at the hotel while we were there. The fitness center, business center are all very nice and again, the staff is amazing and super helpful. One are that I think they could really improve upon is creating a more comprehensive activity guide – perhaps printed weekly – they had yoga on the beach evry day that I would have loved to participated in, but did not find out about until our last day. They had a large bag of treats/cookies and room decorations delivered on Christmas. Turn down service each night with chocolates.

We did take the bus to the mega (supermarket between Hilton and SJDel Cabo) and picked up some cocktail fixings, sodas, and snacks. The kids also picked up some fun candy to take back to their classmates. They also have clothing and a pharmacy – in case you forgot something at home.

If you take the bus the other direction (towards Cabo) you can go to Walmart, Costco and Sams. All about 10 minutes from the hotel.

We ate off the property in Cabo a few nights – Highly recommend Maria Carona – delicious homemade Mole and the staff was great and very reasonable AND live music. La Fonda is great - but packed with AMericans - make a reservation. We also ate at the Baja Brewing Company, which is located on the 6th floor of the Cabo Villa resort – they have pub food with a Mexican twist and great beer and homemade root beer. This is a beautiful outdoor spot with a view of the Arch and I would suggest getting there around sunset for a beautiful view and photo op. There were only a few people there during our dinner (Nicky Hilton and boyfriend showed up while we were there), and the staff was friendly, service was good, views spectacular. My boys also at ate the Taco restaurant – located across the street from Costco ASI y ASADO– and said it was the best Tacos they have ever had.

We stayed at the Hilton Cancun a few years ago and here would be my comparison –
The Hilton Los Cabos rates higher in terms of service, rooms, quality, food/restaurants. They cater to a mostly adult – high end crowd. They do have activities for kids – but not many – they had two kid’s movie nights by the adult pool which were fun. They have a Kids program (nice facility, but empty each time I walked by) and a teen room (which my teens did not use- also empty). They could create a more family friendly hotel if they had more activities. Upgrades and special amenities for Honors members are few (possible room upgrade and continental breakfast vouchers).

The Hilton Cancun is a better destination for families – more budget friendly – with more on-site (Pool games, etc) and off -site activities (ruins, cenotes, etc). They had a weekly schedule that told all the things to do each day at the hotel – for adults and kids. Hilton Cancun also has a special Honors lodging with a wonderful/private “cantina” that offers free breakfasts and cocktail/hors devours. The rooms and grounds, while nice, do not even compare with the Los Cabos Hilton. The restaurants and food service was really lacking at the Hilton Cancun.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing such a thorough review with the TripAdvisor community! Our staff is committed to always providing our guests with outstanding service that leaves a lasting impression. To achieve our goal of complete satisfaction, we greatly encourage feedback on how to improve our services and we appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts. You also provided other travelers with some very useful tips and recommendations – thank you! We look forward to welcoming you and your family back on your next Los Cabos vacation!
Appleton, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2010

I had read many reviews regarding the Hilton and was expecting a very nice hotel and stay. Well, it exceeded that. The service was incredible as many of the reviews point out. Our stay was during Christmas and while it was busy at the pool (my husband was one of those that got up very early to secure our lounge chairs, otherwise we would not have had a place to sit in the sun). This was the only complaint that I heard from the guests. But, this seems to happen at many of the resorts that we have traveled to recently.
Jorge and Sergio were wonderful at the pool area and the bartender that taught us to make mojitos was excellent.
The Hilton is beautiful, very clean and quiet at night. While I assume that the resort was full, it was never crowded. The beach and grounds are gorgeous.
La vista restaurant had great food. The Italian restaurant was ok and very pricey. The breakfast buffet was amazing. We had coupons for a free continental breakfast (which was more than enough) or we could upgrade to the buffet at a lower cost. On Christmas day, they only charged us $5.00 more per person. That was the deal of the week. But, we loved the food served at lunch by the pool. Our teenagers could have eaten off that menu every night and day. The food was amazing and with a margarita it was perfect!!
We did get ripped off from the airport. I thought I knew what I was doing in hailing a cab but we were charged $75.00 to get to the hotel. Never saw a conventional taxi they seem to only use vans in Cabo. From the hotel we were charged 35.00. Big difference.
only 2 small things I may have complained about and this is little, was that housekeeping could not get our towels correct. Turn down service would take them and the day service would not replenish those that were taken. And, a coffee maker in the room would have been nice.
The room did have a refrigerator and that was very important for our family.
We loved the Hilton and hope to be back soon. Los Cabos is surprisingly beautiful.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your stay at our resort and choosing Hilton Los Cabos for your family vacation. We are pleased to hear you had a chance to fully enjoy our great beach, beautiful pool and delicious restaurants. We always strive to improve our services and we appreciate your feedback. Best wishes and we hope to see you again soon!
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2010

I was putting away what seemed like a year’s worth of filing when I came across our Los Cabo vacation file, and it reminded me that I had forgot to thank the management staff that assisted us in enabling such a wonderful time we had October 20th-24th for my wife’s 40th birthday. I believe that was our 4th visit to this property over the last 4 years, and every single time we seem to enjoy it more.

We had an outstanding room on the 4th floor with an extended balcony on this trip. Great location and great center view of the property with a nice high elevation. As has always been the case, the Cadillac Escalade airport transportation service the Hilton offers was punctual and excellent. The drivers have always been very professional and friendly, and not once have we ever waited so much as 1 second either at the airport or at the hotel during our arrival or departure. The Hotel transporation service is expertly operated and I would recommend using it. The management staff at this hotel is so thoughful and customer oriented, we even had a birthday cake and champagne that was waiting on us in the room for my wife’s special occasion without mention from us.

There is a reason we visit this specific Hilton property annually. The property is beautiful and intimate, but we have visited many beautiful properties around the world on vacations. It’s because of the management and all the staff that make this property special and such an enjoyable experience. As is always the case in life, you get out what you put in, and I can tell you the management of this property is second to none. The view of the Sea of Cortez is unbelievable, the affinity pool is outstanding, the golf course is the finest in Los Cabos, the beach area is clean and swimmer friendly with good wave action, its just the perfect location in Los Cabos. Throw in the conscientiousness of the management staff consistently adding the extra special touch, and its hard to go wrong. My wife and I had a great visit, as did our friends who accompanied us to this property for the very first time (they loved it). We look forward to coming back again and we will continue to visit this property annually as it always exceeds our expectations!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
GabrielaBarron, General Manager at Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, January 4, 2011
Thank you for sharing your vacation experience at Hilton Los Cabos. We are amazed and honored that you and your wife have made us your annual vacation destination. From the minute you arrive until your final farewell, we want every moment of your trip to be spectacular. We have to agree that though our property and amenities are wonderful, what sets us apart from other resorts is our emphasis on guest satisfaction. We know this is achieved mainly through our incredible staff. Thank you again for your great feedback and we can’t wait to exceed your expectations again next year!
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2010

I was at the Cabo Hilton for 6 days over Christmas, and it was such a wonderful experience. The property and setting are gorgeous. The food cannot be beat -- that breakfast is so yummy with such a variety...we really didn't need lunch everyday because we were so stuffed from breakfast.

What made the stay so enjoyable (besides being wtih my friends) was the top notch service. Every person we encountered was genuinely friendly, helpful and just full of goodness. You could tell they all had the "sparkle in their eye" for what they do...no fake personalities to be found. Whether we were at the pool, in any of the restaurants, the fitness center, the concierge, the front desk or interacting with housecleaning, every employee was so kind spirited and made us feel right at home.

I would highly recommend this destination for all the reasons mentioned above, but especially for the authentic service that , in my many travels around the world, has not been matched.

Special recognition to Jorge, Michel, Santiago, Jessica and Humberto for their smiling souls, helpful spirits and positive attitudes. Missing you already!

I will definitely visit the Cabo Hilton again!! Until then Adios :)

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
Thank you for posting a review of Hilton Los Cabos. We always appreciate feedback from our guests and we are so excited you received outstanding service throughout your stay. We will be sure to pass your compliments on to our staff. They work hard to make every guest feel at home and they will definitely appreciate your praise. See you on your next trip!
Philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2010

We stayed over the Christmas holiday and enjoyed the beautiful resort and fantastic service. The staff provides world-class service and I hope they are paid very well. We had room 3027 and when we checked in it was decorated to celebrate our anniversary (I had sent an email to the concierge 7 months prior and they remembered). The room offered the best ocean view. We used points and they treated me very well as a Diamond member. I thought I wanted to overlook the pool and I am glad we didn't - too many kids.

The only negative that I will add has little to do with the hotel, however, they may be able to help resolve the problem. Some of the guest get up between 5am and 6am to place towels and books on the poolside chairs. The last day before I left I got up early and went out at 0530 I could not believe how many chairs were taken. One person might lay stake to 8 chairs in a row. On a couple of occasions I sat next to seats with towels and pillows on them and no one ever showed up - all day. The cabana staff could try to pay attention to abandoned chairs (empty for 2 hours) and remove towels which would open the seats up to others. Poolside signs could be discretely placed to make everyone aware.

BTW, why are the kids always in the jacuzzi? People even had their babies in the heated jacuzzi which boggles the mind and is kind of gross because they wear diapers or nothing.

Cabo is absolutely stunning and I would highly recommend this resort.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking time to share your vacation experience with the TripAdvisor community and for allowing us to be a part of your anniversary celebration. Our staff is dedicated to providing superior service and we are pleased to hear you were treated to the high level of service our resort is renowned for. We appreciate your suggestions and we will certainly take them into consideration. We hope you will choose us again for your next getaway!

Been to Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!