Just returned from 6 days at Los Cabos. I appreciated the tips I read in these reviews, but I found that some were not specific enough. Some people mentioned renting cars for less than $20/day. What I didn't realize was you must know whether your auto insurance covers you there. There are 6 or 8 little booths you see right after you collect your luggage at the airport, and they'll all vie for your business. We went from one to the next and the lowest they eventually got to was $125 for a small 4-door for 6 days. However if you need to add full or partial insurance coverage, it jumps up to around $280. Huge difference! Not knowing whether our ins. would cover us, we opted for the partial and got it for $211 at Payless.
We ignored all the "sharks" waiting on the other side of the frosted glass exit doors and caught our shuttle over to the car rental place. We were met by a very pleasant, engaging man who we didn't realize until a ways into the conversation was a time-share salesman. He offered us $100 off of the car rental cost (VERY tempting!), 2 tickets (supposedly worth $35 ea.) for a 4 hr. snorkeling cruise, 2 tickets for a glass-bottom boat trip out to Lover's Beach, a bottle of Kahlua & one of tequila. (I ended up trading in mine for a cheap blanket and my husband said the tequila was yucky so he poured it out.) We needed only to pay $35 to him up front and agree to a 45 min. breakfast buffet and a 45 min. presentation. We thought it sounded painless enough, and I had read some reviews here about people sitting through the things to earn freebies. We went for it.
Here's my suggestion: Ask up front whose time-share company they're representing. Ask if it's Mayan Palace. If it is, don't go! (I was later told by a local that they refer to them as "Mafian Palace". I can see why.) The breakfast was okay, but definitely NOT worth suffering through the event for. They ask some initial questions and determine whether you've had a time-share before. If you haven't they refer to you as a "non-owner" and they admit that they're hesitant to continue the presentation, as non-owners tend not to be familiar with how it all works and are less likely to buy. They asked if we were likely to buy and I said, "Probably not", but my husband said we were willing to listen. (In hindsight we should have been brutally honest and admitted we were only there for the freebies and I think they would've let us go w/out tormenting us for over 3 1/2 hrs.) Yes, the 90 minutes more than doubled and you can't hurry them along. ("How much does it cost?" "I'll get to that...") After starting at $60,000 for a 100 yr. ownership (that you can will to your children) and working down to a $6,500 buy-someone's-trade-in for a studio apt. sized room, we still wouldn't buy. They get angry and demand to know why you won't. Then they say a lot of angry sounding words to each other in Spanish and usher you out, but instead of giving you the gifts, they hand you over to yet another person who says you can't go get your gifts until she completes a form rating how the presentation went. She also sounds ticked off ("Who let you through as non-owners?"), but insists she must show us one more option before she'll let us go. She was Canadian and spoke in a manner which was much more up front-sounding and she was quick to get to the bottom line. Well, by the time she began to describe a 3 yr. agreement for $1,500 that gets you 6 weeks at a variety of resorts + a cruise to Alaska for only $400 a person + some other stuff I've forgotten, she's beginning to sound like your best friend and we, well...we gave in and went for it. I'm still not sure if it's a legitimate company. All I have (besides my contract) is a Puerto Vallarta address, an 800 ph. number and a web address. I haven't attempted to look it up yet and see if it's valid. If it isn't, I don't have any recourse. If it's on the up-and-up, hopefully I'll be able to make use of it. It's still probably not worth everything we had to sit through. I'll have to admit, with their pressure tactics and wearing you down, they're good at obtaining their goal.
Beyond that, the hotel's lovely, the pools are delightful, the food left something to be desired. We ended up not taking the snokeling cruise because we didn't want to be stuck for 4 hrs. on a boat w/uncomfortable-looking metal benches in that heat. We went to Santa Maria beach and found locals renting snorkel gear for $12 ea. and it was a nice snorkeling place. The "glass-bottom boat" was a plain, rather ugly little boat with some 10"x24" panels of dirty glass or something on the bottom, but it was a fun ride out to Lover's Beach and the "Capitan" was very entertaining, describing rock formations and enthusiastically singing Mexican ballads. It was definitely worth doing. (Zaida's was the name of that particular outfit.)
They did honor the $100 discount coupon at the car rental place when we returned it, which was nice, but the initial guy we'd met was not there so we couldn't tell him we were displeased about being misled.
Hope this is helpful to someone. :)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover award-winning hospitality at Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort-only 25 minutes from San Jose del Cabo International Airport (SJD). Our Cabo San Lucas resort is located on a tranquil swimming-allowed inlet bay between the towns of Cabo San Lucas and San Jose del Cabo, and provides the action of the city and a soothing escape from the hustle of daily life. Relax in the sun beside our signature infinity pool, where our Pool Concierge attends to your every need, whether it's a fresh towel or a tasty fruit pop to help you cool down. With an excellent Kids Program, there are specially designed activities for guests aged 4-12. Choose from a wealth of dining options at this Los Cabos resort's four restaurants. Indulge in innovative massage treatments at Spa Oasis. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Amex, Booking.com, Tingo, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity, Hotels.com, getaroom.com, BookingOdigeoWL, Priceline, Agoda and Venere so you can book your Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hilton Los Cabos Beach And Golf Resort
- Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Hotel San Jose Del Cabo
- Hilton San Jose Del Cabo
- Hilton Los Cabos Beach Resort
- San Jose Del Cabo Hilton
- Hilton Cabo
- Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort San Jose Del Cabo