“Great Hotel with view” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort

You added Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort to your Saves list
Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Carretera Transpeninsular Km. 19.5, San Jose del Cabo 23447, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #2 of 37 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
san diego
“Great Hotel with view”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2004

We just got back from Los Cabos after spending a week at Hilton Los Cabos. Reviews from this web site were extremely helpful whether it was positive or negative about this hotel & Los Cabos.

Rental car is a must ( we had a good & clean deal from AVIS ).

We had bounce back package which includes breakfast, and we enjoyed breakfast at the hotel very much. Hotel room was large & comfortable with excellent housekeepr services. We enjoyed walking on the beaches (with sandals as recommend from previous reviews) during early morning hours, but we stay away from the water due to rough surf.

We went into Cabo San Lucas several times for dinner (We were looking for Mexican style restaurant with reasonable prices). We liked Los Ajos (try Taqueza if you like meats ) & Mariscos Mazatlan (varieties of seafood) both located at downtown Cabo San Lucas. We had to move our table couple of times at Enrique's due to mosquito bites. Overall, we enjoyed dining out at little Mexican places.

For activities, we enjoyed snorkling at Santa Maria Bay beach and Chilean Bay beach ( we drove to these two places & plenty of fishes to enjoy). These are great snorkling coves, but we advantured at the west side of coves (both places) due to rough waves during our visit.
Sunset cruise with Buccaneer and ATV Migrino Beach tour was excellent and recommended. Golf outing at El Dorado was an excellent experience (Tee off time was 7:00am), but it was getting hot & humid after 9:00am.

When you check out at the hotel, make sure to check your bill carefully because I found several errors in my bill & deleted after short discussion at the front desk. Also, bring in a copy of your reservation detail information when you check-in at the hotel. In my case, I had to show a written copy of reservation information for a rate & others. Without a written copy, I may ended up paying more than what I expected ( I made my reservation 3 mos in advance through Hilton 800 number ove the phone utilizing web site rate infomation ).

In summary, I enjoyed staying at Hilton & Los Cabos.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (596)
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2004

I would strongly recommend Los Cabos and specifically the Hilton to anyone interested in a peaceful and pleasant experience.

I just returned from 10 days at the Hitlon Los Cabos. Everything about the hotel was amazing. The property was well kept, and in a great location. The views of the Sea of Cortez were incredible, both from the ocean view hotel rooms as well as from the pool area. The staff at the hotel were very friendly and accomodating, and the food was consistently good.

San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2004

We just arrived home after our stay in Los Cabos (Aug, four nights). I too felt that the reviews on this website were extremely helpful, and feel obliged to provide my own experience on our vacation at the Hilton Los Cabos.

After having read the reviews before our trip to Cabo, I was on guard and ready to shun away the time-share salespeople when we arrived at the airport. I later realized there was no getting out of it. After deciding to stay at the Hilton Los Cabos, my husband and I decided it was best to rent a car. In fact, I highly recommend it so you have the flexibility of driving to either Cabo San Lucas or San Jose, both are about 20 min. We got the economy size vehicle, $18 USD per day.

At the Dollar Rent-a-car, we were almost out the door when the rental agent told us about free breakfast at a new hotel that was opening. If you're over thirty and married... you're a target. Luckily we got away in a hurry without getting trapped by the timeshare sell.

Twenty minutes later, we arrived at our hotel. I was looking for the person handing out the margaritas when we arrived, but no one was there. It was over 90 degrees, and I was ready for that drink.

We checked into our hotel room and immediately decided to head straight for the pool. Two minutes after settling in we get a phone call. It's the information desk and they'd like to give us information about the hotel, give us our complimentary drink coupons... "aha," I said. "Finally, our drinks." We headed to the information desk ready for whatever deal the lady was going to tell us. "Are you interested in having a free breakfast, worth $20 pp, while hearing about our timeshares... it will only take 75 minutes? We will give you... (here's where we started to listen)... 20% off spa plus $100 spa or $80 off Dinner at La Hacienda. Plus, if you haven't already booked activities, we can give you good deals." Hmmm, $100 off the spa... deals on activities…

We did the breakfast thing and was surprised that the salesperson ate breakfast with us. The whole time was spent talking with us about what kind of vacations we've had, where did we go, etc. etc. We did the tour and walked into the timeshare office prepared for the hard sell. We said our "No thanks" and left the room.

For the rest of the vacation, every morning you see the next group of people suffer through the same experience. Time-share sales are all around and abundant while at Los Cabos. If you don’t mind it, then I'd recommend this hotel. Otherwise, you may want to find another hotel, or city for that matter.

Hilton Los Cabos was everything we had read about on Trip Advisor. The rooms are clean and the maid service was good. The complimentary water was never replenished after the first day. As for the spa treatment... it was great! My husband and I both did the Body Treatment, which was amazing. Granted we wouldn’t have done it had we not done the timeshare sell, so I guess it works out for everyone.

The pool experience was as expected. Service was slow and inconsistent although it was just as well because the drinks and pool food were very pricey. As for the food, it was expensive everywhere we went. I about fell off my chair when I saw the breakfast buffet bill. The information girl was right, it was $20 USD pp.

Coming from San Francisco where great Mexican food is abundant, I was not impressed with the food in Cabo. Although, I did enjoy my meal at the Tropicana Inn in San Jose and Mama's Royale Cafe in Cabo San Lucas. I did want to try a restaurant called Mezon de Zapata, which is where the locals go, but we didn’t have time.

Lastly, we did save big bucks on the sunset cruise, the Caboret. Although it seemed like we just sailed in circles, the food, music and entertainment were just right.

Overall, if you're looking for a place to rest and relax, Los Cabos is a great place. It is quiet and ideal for families, yet centered between San Jose and Cabo San Lucas for easy access.

As a thirty something who is done with the club/bar scene, my preference was San Jose. It is a small, older town with lots of character. The people are more laid back. While we were there, we walked to the square where there were two singers on the stage. Families sat around listening while eating ice cream. Children were playing. The scene was peaceful. In contrast, Cabo San Lucas was pumping with loud music, wild people, and lots of booze.

All in all, there is something for everyone in this town by the Sea of Cortez. If you plan to visit, you can’t go wrong with Hilton Los Cabos. Just be prepared for the timeshare sales pitch, uneven customer service, and expensive food.

Gilbert, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2004

Just returned from the Hilton Los cabos from a 4 night stay (7/25 - 7/29) with my husband and 12 yr old son. Overall, we were very pleased with the stay, with the only downside being choice of dining locations. The high-end restaurant, Fenicia, we did not visit, but in hearing from other guests , was very nice. The main restaurant "La Hacienda" has a wonderful ( but pricey...at about 18.00 US per adult) breakfast buffet with a wide variety of items. If you are a breakfast person, it is a must if even for just one morning. At dinner , the menu was quite limited. The pool bars should have stayed open beyond 5 or 6 pm as we would have preferred to eat there. There are so many dining choice in the towns of Cabo san Lucas or San Jose, that it would be worth it to venture off the property for meals. Not that you will save money in doing so....Los cabos is expensive. If the beach is red flagged (for rough surf), please take it seriously. There was a drowning there during our stay. The waves can look calm enough but the under-tow is unbelievable. Pools are immaculately maintained, and Gonsalvo, the pool consierge, is priceless. Poolside lounges are at a premium, with most guests laying out their towels before heading to breakfast. I would highly recommend that you do the same. By 10am, there was barely any seating left. The second pool on the eastern end of the propery was less crowded and closer to the Kids Club. All in all, well worth the price as we were able to book the Sunday Is Free promo with a room rate of $125.00. If you are Gold or Diamond Hhonors, they also included the buffet breakfast.

Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2004

My wife and I just returned from a week stay at the Hilton Los Cabos for our honeymoon July 12-19. After originally booking Westin Maui, airfare costs to Hawaii made us turn our attention to Mexico. I'd been to Mexico 5 prior times (Cancun twice, Cozumel, PV and Ixtapa), and chose Los Cabos for our honeymoon since neither of us had been there.

Upon arrival Continental had managed to get my wife's brand new $300 suitcase full of some gooey substance during the flight - and then said they weren't responsible - which really got us off on a bad start - the timeshare folks didn't bother the angry 6-3 235 pound American storming through the airport.

After getting a Thrifty Nissan Sentra ($257 US unlimited miles for the week), we set out for the Hilton. A rental car here, unlike Cancun, is a must. Everything's pretty spread out. Gas stations were full-serve only, but cheaper than the US at the time.

Our bellman, Jesus, at the Hilton was great. He gave us two cold margaritas, a little tour and then cleaned all that gooey stuff off my wife's bag. I don't know how he did it, but it looked new again. I was so happy I added $30 to his tip.

However, all in all, customer service was inconsistent. Some really good, some poor. Two women at the concierge were worthless. The girl handling golf trips didn't know a 4-iron from a pitchfork. Yet, bellman Jesus and the pool guy were great. The pool guy was a little fella about 5-5 - an absolute workhorse. He would get you anything you wanted around the pool. Umbrellas, chairs, as many towels as you wanted, water. This guy was going strong from 9am to 8pm.

We dealt with two activities directors, and they too, were inconsistent. One was nice and helpful, the other acted like he could care less and was on his personal cell phone when I was arranging a sunset cruise! Unbelievable!

TIP: On sunset and booze cruises, you can save money by going down to the marina and bargaining at the docks rather than booking them through the hotel. We took a trip to Lovers Beach and El Arco for $15pp. Later we found 4 people on the same trip who paid $25 for all four!

We highly recommend the Hotel Cabo San Lucas at km 14.5 for dinner. We went there twice! Great seafood and an oceanfront view.

Two major towns make up Los Cabos - San Jose del Cabo which was pretty dead - and Cabo San Lucas, which is a hot spot. San Jose we only passed through twice. We went to CSL many times. It's a cram-packed little marina town, that recently added a very cool Puerto Paraiso mall. The restaurants really try to drag you in along the waterfront down there. And the streets are polluted with people trying to sell you crap. Five trips to Mexico, and I've never seen so many little kids pushing Chicklets like they were in Cabo.

Tropical Storm Blas made it cloudy our first day there (about 400 miles South of Baja), but we had 6 days of sunshine and it was hot and very humid in Cabo (humid because of the Tropical Storm) as you'd expect in July.

We went to several other hotels and found Hilton to be more appealing than the Westin and Marquis de Los Cabos, on par with Fiesta Americana Grand, and it had better ocean views than all of the others. The pool area at the Hilton made us feel like we had the best hotel in Cabo.

We like to go to many different destinations so we can't say we'd go back to Los Cabos. It is a beautiful place, but Cancun has better sand on the beach, fewer riptides, better snorkeling, and probably has more to do.

In summary, the Hilton in terms of layout and structure is probably the best hotel I've ever stayed in. The service was inconsistent, food was slightly above average, the drinks were tasty but not stiff enough, the beach is a bit rough on the feet with the rocky surface - and it was a bit expensive. But if it weren't for how much we liked our hotel, the trip as a whole would have been pretty average.

Geneva, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2004

My wife and I just returned from a relaxing 7 night vacation between 7/2 and 7/9 to the Hilton in Los Cabos and just loved it.

The Hilton and its views were beautiful, the service was excellent, and the resort experience overall was just outstanding. We did a fair amount of research and had a clear set of expectations, and all of them were met or exceeded.

The hotel room was large and very comfortable - with a beautiful bathroom, balcony with gorgeous view, and good service. We had housekeepers visit twice a day to replenish towels and other supplies, bring ice, and turn down the bed. Only opportunity here was to more consistently bring bottled water and ice as we were missed a few days, but it was always easy to pick up at the deli on the 1st floor of the hotel.

We really enjoyed hanging out by the two main pools. The infinity pool was unbelievable - overlooking the Sea or Crotez, with perfect temperature, and not too crowded. There were plenty of teak lounge chairs and umbrellas, and always helpful staff to move furniture around or get drinks. We found that it helped finding chairs which were in line with the path of the sun during the day, as it made it easier to stay in the shade, but there are also many palm trees around the main pool which provide a fair amount of shade if needed. It was fairly quite and relaxing though and we were able to easily take naps poolside

The tennis courts were ok, artificial turf with sand sprinkled in to slow them down. This caused some odd bounces here and there.

Walking on the beach was a bit uncomfortable (we'd recommend sandals), as the sand is very coarse. The water is also fairly rough, and we spent all of our time at the resort in or near the pool.

Food options were fairly good. Breakfast was excellent. Our package included breakfast every morning (booked on Hilton.com) and poolside lunch and drink options were pretty solid as well and not too expensive. The hotel restuarants were somewhat expensive, but not unreasonable.

If you want to explore a bit, rent a car. It gave us a lot of the flexibility we wanted and the driving isn't difficult. Parking at the Hilton is free - and with the shuttle fees, we saved $ by having the car. In hindsight, we would have booked one of the larger companies (Hertz, National, etc.). It costs a little extra, but you get a much better, newer car. We rented the cheapest car we could get from Thrifty, and it was an old, beat-up Nissan sedan which was not exactly a pleasure to drive.

We went into Cabo San Lucas and San Jose del Cabo several times for dinner. Tropicana Inn in San Jose was quite nice - solid food right off the main square. Dorian San Lucas was OK - definitely not the best Asian fusian I've had. Zippers, a little dive on the beach near San Jose is worth a stop as well (definitely get the shrimp tacos). We went to Todos Santos to take a look at the art and the Hotel California, but it was a little underwhelming, particularly given the 1.5 hr drive from the hotel. The most enjoyable part of San Lucas for us our sunset sailboat cruise on the Encore (JTsports.com). We got a great view of the Arch, saw rays jumping out of the water, and it was a much more relaxed option that the other cruises which were available.

Overall, Los Cabos and the Hilton were just outstanding and we will definitely return.

• Stayed July 2004
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2004

We stayed at the Hilton Los Cabos from July 12 - July 15th. What a 5 star resort. Our room was a junior suite that over looked the ocean. We could hear the waves crashing on the shore. We sat on our balcony in amazement. The rooms are clean and beautiful. The staff kept our room stocked with clean towels and toiletries. We never needed to ask for anything. This place is the perfect honeymoon spot. If you really want a romantic evening, have the restaurant serve you dinner on the beach in a cabana surrounded by candles.
The pool is exceptional. You always have a clean towel and a nice place to lay in the sun. We also enjoyed the beach. Just be careful if you have little ones. The current is very strong.
We went into Cabo 2 times. The cab was $22.00 each way. But, you can sign up for the Hilton shuttle a day in advance and it did not cost us anything. You have many different times to chose from and it will drop you off in the shopping and eating areas of the town and pick you up later. I highly recommend this way to get around. We even tried the city bus for $1.00. Is was fun, but hot. Everyone in the town and at the hotel are the nicest people you will ever meet. They always have a smile on their face. I know that they live off their tips, but they were nice to even the people who did not tip them. You cannot lose at the Hilton. We cannot wait to return.

Been to Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!