“There is something for everyone in this town by the Sea of Cortez” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort

You added Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort to your Saves list
Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Carretera Transpeninsular Km. 19.5, San Jose del Cabo 23447, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #2 of 38 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
San Francisco
“There is something for everyone in this town by the Sea of Cortez”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2004

We just arrived home after our stay in Los Cabos (Aug, four nights). I too felt that the reviews on this website were extremely helpful, and feel obliged to provide my own experience on our vacation at the Hilton Los Cabos.

After having read the reviews before our trip to Cabo, I was on guard and ready to shun away the time-share salespeople when we arrived at the airport. I later realized there was no getting out of it. After deciding to stay at the Hilton Los Cabos, my husband and I decided it was best to rent a car. In fact, I highly recommend it so you have the flexibility of driving to either Cabo San Lucas or San Jose, both are about 20 min. We got the economy size vehicle, $18 USD per day.

At the Dollar Rent-a-car, we were almost out the door when the rental agent told us about free breakfast at a new hotel that was opening. If you're over thirty and married... you're a target. Luckily we got away in a hurry without getting trapped by the timeshare sell.

Twenty minutes later, we arrived at our hotel. I was looking for the person handing out the margaritas when we arrived, but no one was there. It was over 90 degrees, and I was ready for that drink.

We checked into our hotel room and immediately decided to head straight for the pool. Two minutes after settling in we get a phone call. It's the information desk and they'd like to give us information about the hotel, give us our complimentary drink coupons... "aha," I said. "Finally, our drinks." We headed to the information desk ready for whatever deal the lady was going to tell us. "Are you interested in having a free breakfast, worth $20 pp, while hearing about our timeshares... it will only take 75 minutes? We will give you... (here's where we started to listen)... 20% off spa plus $100 spa or $80 off Dinner at La Hacienda. Plus, if you haven't already booked activities, we can give you good deals." Hmmm, $100 off the spa... deals on activities…

We did the breakfast thing and was surprised that the salesperson ate breakfast with us. The whole time was spent talking with us about what kind of vacations we've had, where did we go, etc. etc. We did the tour and walked into the timeshare office prepared for the hard sell. We said our "No thanks" and left the room.

For the rest of the vacation, every morning you see the next group of people suffer through the same experience. Time-share sales are all around and abundant while at Los Cabos. If you don’t mind it, then I'd recommend this hotel. Otherwise, you may want to find another hotel, or city for that matter.

Hilton Los Cabos was everything we had read about on Trip Advisor. The rooms are clean and the maid service was good. The complimentary water was never replenished after the first day. As for the spa treatment... it was great! My husband and I both did the Body Treatment, which was amazing. Granted we wouldn’t have done it had we not done the timeshare sell, so I guess it works out for everyone.

The pool experience was as expected. Service was slow and inconsistent although it was just as well because the drinks and pool food were very pricey. As for the food, it was expensive everywhere we went. I about fell off my chair when I saw the breakfast buffet bill. The information girl was right, it was $20 USD pp.

Coming from San Francisco where great Mexican food is abundant, I was not impressed with the food in Cabo. Although, I did enjoy my meal at the Tropicana Inn in San Jose and Mama's Royale Cafe in Cabo San Lucas. I did want to try a restaurant called Mezon de Zapata, which is where the locals go, but we didn’t have time.

Lastly, we did save big bucks on the sunset cruise, the Caboret. Although it seemed like we just sailed in circles, the food, music and entertainment were just right.

Overall, if you're looking for a place to rest and relax, Los Cabos is a great place. It is quiet and ideal for families, yet centered between San Jose and Cabo San Lucas for easy access.

As a thirty something who is done with the club/bar scene, my preference was San Jose. It is a small, older town with lots of character. The people are more laid back. While we were there, we walked to the square where there were two singers on the stage. Families sat around listening while eating ice cream. Children were playing. The scene was peaceful. In contrast, Cabo San Lucas was pumping with loud music, wild people, and lots of booze.

All in all, there is something for everyone in this town by the Sea of Cortez. If you plan to visit, you can’t go wrong with Hilton Los Cabos. Just be prepared for the timeshare sales pitch, uneven customer service, and expensive food.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (597)
Gilbert, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2004

Just returned from the Hilton Los cabos from a 4 night stay (7/25 - 7/29) with my husband and 12 yr old son. Overall, we were very pleased with the stay, with the only downside being choice of dining locations. The high-end restaurant, Fenicia, we did not visit, but in hearing from other guests , was very nice. The main restaurant "La Hacienda" has a wonderful ( but pricey...at about 18.00 US per adult) breakfast buffet with a wide variety of items. If you are a breakfast person, it is a must if even for just one morning. At dinner , the menu was quite limited. The pool bars should have stayed open beyond 5 or 6 pm as we would have preferred to eat there. There are so many dining choice in the towns of Cabo san Lucas or San Jose, that it would be worth it to venture off the property for meals. Not that you will save money in doing so....Los cabos is expensive. If the beach is red flagged (for rough surf), please take it seriously. There was a drowning there during our stay. The waves can look calm enough but the under-tow is unbelievable. Pools are immaculately maintained, and Gonsalvo, the pool consierge, is priceless. Poolside lounges are at a premium, with most guests laying out their towels before heading to breakfast. I would highly recommend that you do the same. By 10am, there was barely any seating left. The second pool on the eastern end of the propery was less crowded and closer to the Kids Club. All in all, well worth the price as we were able to book the Sunday Is Free promo with a room rate of $125.00. If you are Gold or Diamond Hhonors, they also included the buffet breakfast.

Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2004

My wife and I just returned from a week stay at the Hilton Los Cabos for our honeymoon July 12-19. After originally booking Westin Maui, airfare costs to Hawaii made us turn our attention to Mexico. I'd been to Mexico 5 prior times (Cancun twice, Cozumel, PV and Ixtapa), and chose Los Cabos for our honeymoon since neither of us had been there.

Upon arrival Continental had managed to get my wife's brand new $300 suitcase full of some gooey substance during the flight - and then said they weren't responsible - which really got us off on a bad start - the timeshare folks didn't bother the angry 6-3 235 pound American storming through the airport.

After getting a Thrifty Nissan Sentra ($257 US unlimited miles for the week), we set out for the Hilton. A rental car here, unlike Cancun, is a must. Everything's pretty spread out. Gas stations were full-serve only, but cheaper than the US at the time.

Our bellman, Jesus, at the Hilton was great. He gave us two cold margaritas, a little tour and then cleaned all that gooey stuff off my wife's bag. I don't know how he did it, but it looked new again. I was so happy I added $30 to his tip.

However, all in all, customer service was inconsistent. Some really good, some poor. Two women at the concierge were worthless. The girl handling golf trips didn't know a 4-iron from a pitchfork. Yet, bellman Jesus and the pool guy were great. The pool guy was a little fella about 5-5 - an absolute workhorse. He would get you anything you wanted around the pool. Umbrellas, chairs, as many towels as you wanted, water. This guy was going strong from 9am to 8pm.

We dealt with two activities directors, and they too, were inconsistent. One was nice and helpful, the other acted like he could care less and was on his personal cell phone when I was arranging a sunset cruise! Unbelievable!

TIP: On sunset and booze cruises, you can save money by going down to the marina and bargaining at the docks rather than booking them through the hotel. We took a trip to Lovers Beach and El Arco for $15pp. Later we found 4 people on the same trip who paid $25 for all four!

We highly recommend the Hotel Cabo San Lucas at km 14.5 for dinner. We went there twice! Great seafood and an oceanfront view.

Two major towns make up Los Cabos - San Jose del Cabo which was pretty dead - and Cabo San Lucas, which is a hot spot. San Jose we only passed through twice. We went to CSL many times. It's a cram-packed little marina town, that recently added a very cool Puerto Paraiso mall. The restaurants really try to drag you in along the waterfront down there. And the streets are polluted with people trying to sell you crap. Five trips to Mexico, and I've never seen so many little kids pushing Chicklets like they were in Cabo.

Tropical Storm Blas made it cloudy our first day there (about 400 miles South of Baja), but we had 6 days of sunshine and it was hot and very humid in Cabo (humid because of the Tropical Storm) as you'd expect in July.

We went to several other hotels and found Hilton to be more appealing than the Westin and Marquis de Los Cabos, on par with Fiesta Americana Grand, and it had better ocean views than all of the others. The pool area at the Hilton made us feel like we had the best hotel in Cabo.

We like to go to many different destinations so we can't say we'd go back to Los Cabos. It is a beautiful place, but Cancun has better sand on the beach, fewer riptides, better snorkeling, and probably has more to do.

In summary, the Hilton in terms of layout and structure is probably the best hotel I've ever stayed in. The service was inconsistent, food was slightly above average, the drinks were tasty but not stiff enough, the beach is a bit rough on the feet with the rocky surface - and it was a bit expensive. But if it weren't for how much we liked our hotel, the trip as a whole would have been pretty average.

Geneva, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2004

My wife and I just returned from a relaxing 7 night vacation between 7/2 and 7/9 to the Hilton in Los Cabos and just loved it.

The Hilton and its views were beautiful, the service was excellent, and the resort experience overall was just outstanding. We did a fair amount of research and had a clear set of expectations, and all of them were met or exceeded.

The hotel room was large and very comfortable - with a beautiful bathroom, balcony with gorgeous view, and good service. We had housekeepers visit twice a day to replenish towels and other supplies, bring ice, and turn down the bed. Only opportunity here was to more consistently bring bottled water and ice as we were missed a few days, but it was always easy to pick up at the deli on the 1st floor of the hotel.

We really enjoyed hanging out by the two main pools. The infinity pool was unbelievable - overlooking the Sea or Crotez, with perfect temperature, and not too crowded. There were plenty of teak lounge chairs and umbrellas, and always helpful staff to move furniture around or get drinks. We found that it helped finding chairs which were in line with the path of the sun during the day, as it made it easier to stay in the shade, but there are also many palm trees around the main pool which provide a fair amount of shade if needed. It was fairly quite and relaxing though and we were able to easily take naps poolside

The tennis courts were ok, artificial turf with sand sprinkled in to slow them down. This caused some odd bounces here and there.

Walking on the beach was a bit uncomfortable (we'd recommend sandals), as the sand is very coarse. The water is also fairly rough, and we spent all of our time at the resort in or near the pool.

Food options were fairly good. Breakfast was excellent. Our package included breakfast every morning (booked on Hilton.com) and poolside lunch and drink options were pretty solid as well and not too expensive. The hotel restuarants were somewhat expensive, but not unreasonable.

If you want to explore a bit, rent a car. It gave us a lot of the flexibility we wanted and the driving isn't difficult. Parking at the Hilton is free - and with the shuttle fees, we saved $ by having the car. In hindsight, we would have booked one of the larger companies (Hertz, National, etc.). It costs a little extra, but you get a much better, newer car. We rented the cheapest car we could get from Thrifty, and it was an old, beat-up Nissan sedan which was not exactly a pleasure to drive.

We went into Cabo San Lucas and San Jose del Cabo several times for dinner. Tropicana Inn in San Jose was quite nice - solid food right off the main square. Dorian San Lucas was OK - definitely not the best Asian fusian I've had. Zippers, a little dive on the beach near San Jose is worth a stop as well (definitely get the shrimp tacos). We went to Todos Santos to take a look at the art and the Hotel California, but it was a little underwhelming, particularly given the 1.5 hr drive from the hotel. The most enjoyable part of San Lucas for us our sunset sailboat cruise on the Encore (JTsports.com). We got a great view of the Arch, saw rays jumping out of the water, and it was a much more relaxed option that the other cruises which were available.

Overall, Los Cabos and the Hilton were just outstanding and we will definitely return.

• Stayed July 2004
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2004

We stayed at the Hilton Los Cabos from July 12 - July 15th. What a 5 star resort. Our room was a junior suite that over looked the ocean. We could hear the waves crashing on the shore. We sat on our balcony in amazement. The rooms are clean and beautiful. The staff kept our room stocked with clean towels and toiletries. We never needed to ask for anything. This place is the perfect honeymoon spot. If you really want a romantic evening, have the restaurant serve you dinner on the beach in a cabana surrounded by candles.
The pool is exceptional. You always have a clean towel and a nice place to lay in the sun. We also enjoyed the beach. Just be careful if you have little ones. The current is very strong.
We went into Cabo 2 times. The cab was $22.00 each way. But, you can sign up for the Hilton shuttle a day in advance and it did not cost us anything. You have many different times to chose from and it will drop you off in the shopping and eating areas of the town and pick you up later. I highly recommend this way to get around. We even tried the city bus for $1.00. Is was fun, but hot. Everyone in the town and at the hotel are the nicest people you will ever meet. They always have a smile on their face. I know that they live off their tips, but they were nice to even the people who did not tip them. You cannot lose at the Hilton. We cannot wait to return.

San Diego
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2004

First, sorry for the length of my review, but I wanted to be helpful for anyone considering travel to Los Cabos, and the Hilton especially since I found Trip Advisor so helpful to me.

Summary
My lovely girlfriend (FYI, she is Mexican and Speaks fluent Spanish) and I just returned from the Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort where we stayed 8 nights and 9 days from July 5 to July 13. I spent several weeks in advance trying to plan the perfect Summer getaway and narrowed down our choices to the Caribbean, Mexico and Hawaii. Unfortunately, the weather was poor in all destinations except the Baja peninsula during the week of our vacation. The Cayman Islands were my first choice since we both loved Cancun and the Caribbean the previous year. At any rate, I researched many hotels in Los Cabos and read such wonderful reviews on the Hilton and decided to make reservations.

The Trip
From San Diego, the flight was just over two hours and we both peered out our window at the lovely blue Sea of Cortez; the blue water is a very powerful contrast since Baja is a very dry desert with little vegetation. When we arrived at the aeropuerto, I anticipated the sellers of “time-shares” and fully intended to avoid them at all costs as we searched for ground transportation. Unfortunately, these Mexican salespeople are very keen and herded us into a small area (with frosted doors on all sides so you can’t see out!) just outside the doors where we believed ground transportation was to be arranged. As it turned out, the people were actually the ones pitching the time-share bulls**t and wanted us to visit their special hotel and would even give us free breakfast and transportation to and from the Hilton; I smelt something fishy and walked out of the exit door only to find the real ground transportation waiting out near the curb. I can remember the Mexican lady yelling, “I feel sorry for you!” This was our first disappointment.

The Limo Ride/Tour
Once we exited the aeropuerto, we jumped into a silver limo and drove towards the Hilton, stopped at a market on the way and purchased some beer and tequila and then asked for our driver to extend our ride into Los Cabos for a brief tour. He did and only asked for a nice tip. We spent about an hour riding in the limo asking to driver various questions about Los Cabos and he was very helpful. Once we reached the Hilton, I tipped the driver 40$ and he had the nerve to ask for 10$ more!

The Hotel and Beach
The hotel was quite lovely and we were greeted with 2 cold margaritas as we checked into a room on the first floor with easy access to the store and pool areas. Our room was first-rate with very nice with granite floors and excellent amenities—definitely 4 stars! We explored the hotel grounds and were quite impressed. The hotel food was awesome, so I think they’ve done a lot to improve the cuisine. I would stay away from the swim up sushi bar, not one person did I see actually ordering sushi in the 100 degree temp. The Hilton is a great hotel (Adam Sandler was actually staying there and got to meet him and his entourage!) some of the staff are very difficult and rude, a pool server in particular but find someone you like and stick to them each day. The manager of the lounge was awesome and he went well out of his way to accommodate us by bringing menus from the exclusive restaurant near the pool so we could eat in the lounge and enjoy the Jazz. Knowing the beach sand is very coarse, we brought along water shoes and they were a must if you plan to rent a Jet Ski or do any walking on the beach. The ocean here is not too friendly and has strong undertows so we spent little time in the water near the hotel even though it is one of the few swimming beaches along the corridor. Jet Skis were very expensive ($90 for 1 hour) and the ATV tour was about $120 for two plus a 40min drive North of Los Cabo, this was a great experience but be careful one of the girls on our tour roller her ATV and ended up on crutches for the rest of her trip. Our advice to the Hilton management is that they plan activities for the guests on a daily basis such as live music, dancing, sports, etc.

Los Cabos /Disappointment
Well here is where the fun ends and my disappointment begins… The only positive thing I can say about Los Cabos is that the Cebeche and Baja cuisines is out of the world! However, never in all my travels around the world have I been so revolted and aggravated by the hostile manner in which the local peddlers approached us trying to sell their goods. Anything from petting iguanas, timeshares, water sports, jewelry, or street drugs. These people are so aggressive that the hosts at the restaurants use tactics of a desperate used car salesmen! One of the hosts at this great little restaurant (The Shrimp Bucket) near the marina actually tried to sell us a time share while we were eating! I’m telling you, it was a constant and continual battle just to walk a few feet without some peddler badgering us and after first day of being polite saying “no gracias” it became worse by ignoring them! By the 4 day, I was entirely feed up. The next issue is the taxi situation, even though the Hilton has a free shuttle that runs hourly to town, you cannot use it unless you have given 24hr notice! This means that it cost around $50 round trip from the Hilton to Los Cabos. Apparently, this is some “new government regulation” and clearly indicates the level of corruption at the heart of this so called resort destination. We actually took the city bus on our first trip for $2 but were once again badgered by peddlers so wasn’t worth the frustration. Overall, if you really love to deep sea fish and/or just want to lay around an isolated resort hotel’s pool in the hot sun, then Los Cabos is for you.

Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2004

My wife and I visited the Hilton June 19th through June 24th and we were very pleased with the resort. The good: the summer is definitely the low season for Los Cabos so we were fortunate that the hotel was very empty. The weather was sunny and 100 degrees each day. The staff at the resort is very attentive from the conceierge to the towel hut, they made sure our stay was enjoyable. The food at the resort was above average and very reasonably priced- order the quesadillas out by the pool- they are the best (make sure to ask, they are not on the menu.) The rooms were very clean, spacious and the twice a day maid service was a great bonus. The infinity pool is awesome- enough said!

The bad: Unfortunately, we hoped to take part in many activities, but we quickly learned almost nothing is offered from the resort. The resort only offers scuba diving excursions. The beach offers snorkeling and wave runners but they are actually rented through the watersports company based out of the adjoining resort. When we spoke to the "activity" office we learned quickly all activities are based from Cabo San Lucas or San Jose del Cabo. It wasn't a huge deal, but Cabo and San Jose are approx. 25-30 minutes away. We didn't rent a car and did not want to pay $35 each way for a cab. The resort does offer shuttle service for $10 per person, but you have to make reservations 1 1/2 days in advance. It was just a little misleading from the website- it appears you can parasail, windsurf, etc.. at the resort. The beach has a very strong undertow, so don't plan on taking the little ones in the ocean. For that matter, don't plan on "playing" much in the ocean.

For our first trip to Mexico we had an enjoyable time- just wished we would have planned a bit better on recreation. We did do the ATV tour which was a blast. Just remember not to wear anything too new or nice- you will get very dirty.

Been to Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!