“Hilton: Los Cabos” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort

You added Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort to your Saves list
Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Carretera Transpeninsular Km. 19.5, San Jose del Cabo 23447, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #2 of 37 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Sydney, Australia
“Hilton: Los Cabos”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

Loved staying here with our 3 year old. Infinity pool perfect for little person as the ledge allowed him to be and play in the pool although he is not a capable swimmer just yet. Swimming beach right in front which was a bonus. Would definitely return here...Service was great... was a relaxing holiday....

Room Tip: we chose to stay in a ground floor King suite beach front which has own private courtyard looking o...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
GabrielaBarron, General Manager at Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, January 18, 2012
Thank you for your review. I'm very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay along with the little one. We hope to have you as our guest again before too long.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (597)
El Dorado Hills, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

This was our second time spending the holiday week between Christmas and New Year’s at the Hilton Los Cabos. It was great last time and even better this time. We booked our room with points and were given a King Partial Ocean view room with large balcony. Of course we wanted a full ocean view but the hotel was at 100% occupancy and our room was very nice and still with a good view of the ocean. We have Hilton Gold status and internet access is free, and a very nice continental breakfast is included. Mornings that we wanted the full breakfast buffet (including omelet and custom smoothie stations) we paid only $8 additionally. The Hilton also has a mini buffet set up for children (at their height!) which is absolutely adorable and a really nice idea. Coffee is available (important to us) beginning at 5 am in the lobby bar for 60 pesos per person. The breakfast pastries they sell are very nice.

This is a large resort at a chain hotel and yet it has innate charm! The staff is incredible. Polished, accommodating, happy, friendly – just wonderful. Maid service is twice a day and is very much appreciated and needed with all the towels used.

The hotel offers a welcome drink to arriving guests (Pomegranate Margarita - or an Alexander is also an option over the holidays). You might want to save enjoying your drink until after you have unpacked and then enjoy it in the lovely bar patio later. The bar also serves various small plates of complimentary hors d’oeuvres – little skewers of chicken, ham and onion served with a wonderful dipping sauce, or sometimes marinated beef. These along with mixed nuts and sometimes olives are also offered. These snacks are a very nice touch.

The hotel was full but it did not feel that way except in the struggle for lounge chairs and cabanas. The hotel’s holiday policy was that from 10pm to 4am any personal items left to hold chairs would be removed and inventoried and put in Lost and Found. Some people were so determined to circumvent that policy that they actually slept in a cabana to save it. Cabanas were free (very rare in my experience at a resort) and this heightened their determination! I guess the hotel did not bother the sleepers. For the rest of us, if you were not down by 6 am you got much less desirable seating. People actually set their alarms to be down by 4 am. The hotel had bought additional lounge chairs and umbrellas and there were no problems with having those, just the placement of them. That was the only negative of the whole experience at the Hilton. It was manageable but irritating. Management is well aware of this problem and, like other resorts, just can’t find a way to make this equitable but on a first come, first serve basis.

The gym is important to us and their gym was very well managed. The best situation I have ever experienced at a hotel gym. They had at least 2 attendants there at peak hours. They checked you in and found out which machine you were interested in. If there was not one available they put your name in queue. You could not stay on the machine longer than 45 minutes unless no one wanted it. The gym was very busy but I never had to wait longer than 5 minutes and I was always able to stay on as long as I liked. With staff controlling the use, all potential tension and jostling for position were gone. I have never seen a gym managed so well at any other resort, but I have seen plenty of angry feelings over people’s selfish and/or clueless behavior over use of the machines. The attendants also thoroughly clean each machine between uses (how nice!) and bottles of water are freely available. I was so pleased with how the gym was being managed that I expressed my appreciation to the General Manager, Tim. Later that afternoon a plate of desserts and a thank you note from him was sent to our room.

The food at the hotel is absolutely delicious. Every meal was almost shockingly tasty! We had a rental car and ate off-site for dinner once in San Jose and once over at Las Ventanas, and had lunch out twice but nothing was as good as El Meson or the poolside restaurant, La Barca! The prices are extremely reasonable, especially for a beautiful resort setting like this. I will post those reviews separately.

We rented a car for 3 days from National Rental Car in the hotel. I made the reservation from home before we went to insure availability and also because it is less expensive that way. I made the reservation for 3 days but turned it in after 2 days (no penalty). I feel like I have read everything there is to read about whether and what insurance to take. After doing this a few times I have come to the conclusion to just take it all. The car cost about $45 a day and the insurances were about the same. I would suggest not renting a car from the airport as you will not get the value the first and last day you rent it, yet you have the hassle factor. It costs more on the arrival and departure days than the cost of airport transportation. We used TransCabo (got a recommendation from a TripAdvisor chatboard) and would also recommend this company. It was $15 per person each way for shared van (there was one other couple staying at a resort down the road from us). The rental car would be about $90 for the day, and are you really going to go anywhere off-site the first or last day? But using TransCabo only cost us $30 ($60 for two people coming and going). We dealt with Eduardo at the National desk in the hotel and he was great and I trusted what he had to say. Last time we rented with Thrifty at the airport and it was a horrible experience. Renting from National inside the Hilton offers a protective filter that is not afforded outside.

The hotel does lots of extras. Like the 9 piece strolling mariachis at the pool (it was limited but fun!), and coming around with free shots of tequila and lime - very nice! They have a free ice cream bar in the afternoon and also free classes geared towards children and also classes geared towards adults. We were there for New Year's Eve and the party was free - just pay for what you order. A big dance floor was set up on the beach and the Hilton had their own fireworks display.

On both our stays at the Hilton during the holidays, celebrities with their families were staying at the hotel (kind of a shock to be working out next to one in the gym or to be seated next to one at breakfast). I would guess that these folks want great service and food and the wonderful beachfront location of this hotel like the rest of us. And that they also appreciate the authentic and genuine charm of the staff and are not looking for the exclusivity and rarified air of some of the other Los Cabos resorts like Las Ventanas or Palmilla. It felt like they just wanted to keep it real. And the Hilton Los Cabos is the real deal.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
GabrielaBarron, General Manager at Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, January 9, 2012
Thank you so much for your review and for all the wonderful comments. I enjoyed reading the "sequel" to your last review, and are proud to earn that fifth star. We're glad to have you back once again for New Year's Eve. I think this was our best party yet, and everyone seemed to have such a great time. I hope this is just the second of many visits to our resort, whether for the holidays anytime. Thanks again!
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

We stayed 11 nights - 9 of which were paid for by my Hilton points. Having stayed at many hiltons last year to earn those points I can say that this one is at the top. A great hotel and phenomenal service. Perfect.

• Stayed December 2011
Thank you for your review and for choosing our resort to spend your Hilton HHonors points. We appreciate your business. Thank you again.
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

I just returned from a week's stay at this property between Christmas and New Year. It was my first stay here and I had high expectations given the strong TA reviews. Overall, our stay here was fine but it didn't turn out to be a truly relaxing stay for a multitude of reasons. Biggest issue was needing to get up at 4 or 5AM to secure a lounge chair anywhere near a ray of sunshine. This insanity coupled with the occasional sound of service carts being wheeled around by our room (2031) and just outside our room on the walkway didn't allow us one night of uninterrupted sleep. Why this hotel allows folks to stake out their lounge chairs in the middle of the night is beyond me. As far as I am concerned, unless you have your body on the chair there should be no reserving of spots using personal belongings and/or towels prior to 7 or 8AM. While I understand it was a busy week, having folks come down at 4AM and reserve 10 or 12 of the best loungers (or worse - pay off the pool attendants to do it for them!) is unacceptable - especially when they end up sitting empty for half the day with a book/magazine and towel soaking up the rays. A large party traveling with a famous Hollywood actor staying at the resort was especially guilty of this. There has to be a better system.

The restaurants were fine for breakfast and lunch if lounging by the pool, but otherwise I'd head off property for dinner if possible. Daily continental breakfast was comped due to my Diamond status and was perfectly fine (though pricey if you are paying out of pocket). Madero and the sushi place are decent during the day. By night, Madero became a mediocre steakhouse with one of the worst wine lists I have ever seen. Fenecia, the hotel's higher end restaurant was a bit better (good, not great) but had the same uninspired wine list as Madero.

The property itself is pretty nice and family oriented. It looks like a 4-star property and the rooms are tasteful. The pools are nice, though the main pool is hemmed in by all of the loungers. You will be making friends with your neighboring loungers whether you want to or not. The beach is easily accessed and one of the few in the Corridor that is swimmable. The beach has an activity center for jet ski rental or horse back rides which is quite convenient as well.

Rating the staff separately, they get a 4 or 4.5. They were always pleasant and sought to make your experience a great one. While they weren't as polished as the staff at the Palmilla or Las Ventanas, they had hear and personality.

Overall, I struggled with whether to give the property a rating of 3 or 4. In the end, I settled on the lower rating upon the realization that we didn't get a single night of uninterrupted, restful sleep because of the lounger situation and hallway noise. While I enjoyed our time in Los Cabos, I'd probably only stay at this property again if using points.

Room Tip: Get a higher floor room - avoid most of the 1st floor as it opens right on to the crowded pool area.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your thoughts on your recent stay. We appreciate your feedback. I regret that you had a negative experience with the lounge chairs. Year over year we have invested in more inventory and area improvements, and as a result we have received much fewer complaints from guests. Still, we do take every guest experience and all feedback seriously, and after reviewing the comments from our guests this year, we are evaluating solutions for the lounge chair situation that we will have in place for next year's holidays, including further investment in the number of lounge chairs as well as possibly expanding our pool deck. I hope that you will give us another chance to deliver the world-class experience that brings so many of our guests back year after year. If you would like to discuss further, please contact me by requesting Tim Booth at Enjoy.LosCabos@Hilton.com.
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

This is the best location and value in Los Cabos! My husband does NOT like to travel in Mexico as a rule, but we heard so many wonderful things about the Hilton Los Cabos that we just had to try it. Every single staff person (I cannot stress this enough) was unbelievably helpful, friendly, and accomodating. The concierge was wonderful in helping us select the best dining choices in the area. We loved the decor with its attention to detail (see my pics). You did not feel like you were in a cookie-cutter hotel which made our stay all the more special.

The beach and pool areas were so relaxing. (Yes, a few beach vendors do stop by but they are not rude.) We were able to walk up and down the beach to enjoy the surf. Wait staff is spread a little thin on the beach, but each day we were able to flag someone down to position our chairs, little table and umbrella and ordered bottled water in an ice bucket - plus our "adult beverages" and snacks a little later in the afternoon.

I worked for a company that had their sales "Quota Club" trip at the Hilton. We are talking about a national organization whose members have high expectations and they loved this property enough to vote returning to it three years in a row! This is a popular spot for company meetings and weddings, and as such one of the pools was closed to the general public for a day for set up for a dinner that evening. We decided to spend that day on the beach. It did not inconvenience us at all.

Since we spent every day on the grounds, we ventured outside the Hilton every night for dinner. The restaurants are pricey but worth every penny. They all try to utilize the beautiful water views just outside their doors. Just be aware that wine is extremely expensive - more than 3 times what you would spend in a US restaurant. We will definitely return!!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
GabrielaBarron, General Manager at Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Thank you so much for your review. We are so pleased you were able to convince your husband to visit beautiful Los Cabos and even more happy that you both so thoroughly enjoyed your stay. We appreciate your recognition of our hard-working team and glowing comments. We look forward to your return.
redmond, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2012

I'm a really picky traveler and don't go to Mexico a lot because I prefer Hawaii. (stay at fairmont and ritz kapalua there). I'm compelled to write a review for people like me hesitant to go to Mexico because it seems like a hastle. First, this is truly a resort. You do not need to leave the facility to have an awesome vacation. They have an amazing location on a swimmable beach which I guess is rare here. It is a short taxi to Cabo and across the street to great golf- which is abundant here but my husband loved the Trent Jones course. (is that his name?) They have awesome pool/beach service with super comfty chairs. (matters to me!) We were here for New Years Eve and they had a beach party that was amazing!!!! They had a fire show, smores for the kids early and a dance floor. It was a club late night but early they let off paper lanterns into the sky and then a great fireworks show. There were special touches like live entertainment at the pool and even at the breakfast buffet- which my kids loved. I can't see anywhere out-performing this place. Friends came over from an all inclusive next door and this is really the way to go I think. They said their food was so so, while the restaurants here- the steakhouse, Italian and pool service were all awesome. We have adjoining ocean front rooms for our family of 5. Views are amazing!!!! Very easy access to pool/beach. I've been working out daily, and the gym is equipped with weights, eliptical and treadmills, but a little on the older side. However the attentive staff surely makes up for it. My husband also did a free boot camp class on the beach that nearly killed him- but what a view!!!
So I don't typically write reviews but there you go! I have time as I look at the beach because they gave us a late check out no problem....

• Stayed December 2011
Thank you for all of your comments. I'm glad that your experience at our resort inspired you to write a review; we really appreciate you taking the time. Happy to hear you were able to join us at our New Year's Eve party - it's always an exciting time for us, and I think this year was the best yet. Everyone seemed in high spirits, and there's simply no comparison to a beautiful fireworks show over the Sea of Cortes. Just magical. Thanks again for your review. I hope we see you and your family here again soon.
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2012

Stayed here for the 3rd time during the 2nd week in December for 6 nights, as part of my wife and my annual vacation. The time of year was perfect as it was very warm, the whales were just arriving, and the rush of family vacationers hadn't started yet. so it was still relatively quiet by the pool and not super crowded. This is the 2nd time we came around the 5th or 6th of December, and it was perfect. (we also came in May, and it was hot, but not terribly so) Aside from Justin Bieber's presence it was a relatively peaceful time to be here. Great weather too.

Check-in was as smooth as always. As a Gold, was greeted by the bellman and escorted to our room where we completed the sign-in while enjoying our welcome drinks. We were on the backside of the resort on the 4th floor overlooking the smaller pool, but my wife was able to switch to the same category room fronting the main pool without a problem. We did receive free internet access and continental breakfast coupons. (110 pesos to upcharge to the hot breakfast, worth it. Of note, Cheese is not included in the continental breakfast, as we were sternly informed by the waiter. Um ok, dude. Charge me for the cheese then) Self-parking was free.

The room and grounds were impeccable. Furnishings are simple and fit the mexico vibe. Everything is pristine around the pools and common areas. Staff is always eager to please and genuinely wants to ensure your happiness. Food by the pool and at El Meson was excellent. Not the cheapest food in the world, but considering you are at a major resort on a beach in paradise, its quite reasonable. I personally love the idea of a giant bucket of ice with 4 or 5 ice cold cans of beer in it and am willing to pay somewhat of a premium for it. We always see the same employees for the last 3 years, which speaks to their staff retention. We never had a problem using the tap water to brush teeth or anything like that, turndown and maid service do a great job keeping you stocked.

Some things we have found helpful to maximize our vacation in Cabo:

The Hilton is located in the corridor between San Jose and Cabo san Lucas. To get anywhere you have to drive or take a taxi or bus. (for me this is one of the appeals. Once i get here, i am away from the craziness until i choose to go into town)

Get some extra water and beer at the Mega, Walmart, or Oxxo. Always nice to have a cold beer waiting for you when you get back to the room to enjoy out on your balcony.

The car can be super useful. We rented one for the first time this trip from the airport Thrifty (and got a timeshare place to pay for it), but i would recommend getting the extra insurance. At Thrifty they went over the car with a magnifying glass looking for stuff to charge. Rental car makes it much easier to jet into town or out for dinner. (if you plan on going into town every night by taxi, its about $50 a day. Rental car with insurance would be about the same)

The bus to Cabo runs right outside the hotel and only costs 13 pesos (about 1USD) per adult each way. Very convenient, but if you dont mind a bus and it taking longer than a cab it helps save some money. Taking the bus to San Jose takes a few changes and can be confusing.

Front desk will change dollars to pesos. And there is an ATM right around the corner from the gift shop.

San Jose has some great restaurants (we love the Michoacan pork at Mi Casa) and the thursday night Art Walk with wine and art is excellent (check times though, there is a season for the art walk events). A much quieter vibe generally free from the Cabo downtown craziness. We aren't partiers so we tend to go more to San Jose than Cabo for dinners unless we are doing a boat trip or shopping.

At the resort, make sure you tip. The great staff work very hard at keeping you happy, and a few extra dollars here and there really do make a difference.

Timeshare presentations? We do them every now and then, but we make sure we don't get less than at least 200-300 worth of stuff per presentation. This last trip we got $250 for our car rental, $300 in cash, and 4 dinner cruises for doing two presentations. Was it worth it to deal with that BS sales stuff? Yes. But 90-minutes is more like 3 hours and some of them are jerks when you don't buy. Thankfully, the Hilton doesn't do timeshares so once you are there you are on an oasis of calm and tranquility. I have never once been asked by a Hilton staffer about doing a timeshare.

We love our trips to the Hilton. Sitting in the infinity pool, overlooking the beach and ocean and watching whales breaching and splashing while manta rays are jumping while drinking an ice-cold beverage is about as peaceful a life as I could ask for.

So to Jorge, Victor, Gabriela, Humberto and all the rest of the crew at the Hilton, many thanks again for a fantastic stay. We look forward to staying with you again!

Room Tip: anything from 4th floor up. Ask for rooms facing the main infinity pool if you want a slightly bette...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your detailed review and for being such a loyal guest of the resort. We are sure all of our future and returning guests will greatly appreciate your helpful tips. Also, thank you for bringing attention to our first-rate team and the great work they do day in and day out. We deeply appreciate your return visits and look forward to your next stay with us.

Been to Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!