“Amazing!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Tapas, Contemporary, Eclectic, Organic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Transit: KM 29 Costa Azul
Description: DECKMAN'S San Jose offers a daily changing menu, progressive 100% Mexican wine list, live jazz and great bar! Award winning Chef-Owner Drew Deckman greets you nightly with a culinary celebration of local and Baja California Ingredients. Live Music on a regular basis! Mexican Craft Beers and ample outdoor seating.
San Francisco
“Amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

We came here by chance; we showed up to another restaurant we had reservations at though they unfortunately ignored us for 30 minutes so decided to head elsewhere. We called Deckman's and they said come on over. It was quiet for a Saturday night which initially was a bit disconcerting. However, once our server came over, we had nothing but splendid food and service. I have eaten at numerous michelin starred restaurants and often travel for the sole intent of food (and eating it!). I had read the good reviews for this place, but I left with expectations thoroughly surpassed. Each dish was nicely presented, fresh, innovative, and delicious! Most great restaurants serve a number of dishes I love, and then a couple that are good but not great. This is the first restaurant in some time where every dish amazed me. Fish was perfectly cooked. Flavors melded together nicely yet all stayed distinct in their own right. Just an amazing place. I went to a few restaurants in Cabo with better locations on the water with amazing views; however, if you are looking for the best food, Deckman's blew every other place out of the water. Just go and check it out...you won't be disappointed!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

89% Recommend
San Diego, California
“Service even more incredible than the food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

I won't spend too much time discussing the food because there are already about a million reviews covering how incredibly delicious it is. I will say that we had the oysters, halibut carpaccio, heirloom tomatoes, pork chop, and chicken with white beans. They were all perfection. The best meal I've had in a long time.

Now, let me tell you about the service. Gustavo was so friendly and knowledgable. He steered us in the right direction on everything from cocktails to wine to our meals to an incredible mezcal (new territory for me). He taught me about "worm salt" and what to look for when purchasing mezcal in the future. He was funny, friendly, and attentive. He overheard me wishing my husband a happy anniversary and made sure to make it a special night. All of this was enough to leave my husband and I very impressed, but he took service to another level the next day. That's right, the NEXT day! I had left my sweater in the restaurant and he tracked us down at our hotel (thankfully the concierge had made the reservation, so he knew where we were staying). The restaurant was closed for the season (we made it on their final night), so he offered to drop it off to us. Seriously! How awesome is that? I can't say I've ever had service like that in the past and doubt I will in the future. Until our next trip to Deckman's.

Thank you, Gustavo! You are the best!

Mexico City, Mexico
“Fresh, organic and innovative... but just missing the final touch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

This little known restaurant, near San Jose, is a great option to try a fresh, organic and imaginative menu. The menu changes all the time depending on the local ingredients, this is the one thing I love the most about little organic restaurants.
We tried the five course meal. A fresh watermelon with goat cheese to start, followed by an extraordinary plate of oysters. The oysters had some yuzu and cucumber which made them fresh but missing some acidity, in my personal opinion. Next course a white fish capaccio with hot avocado and vinegar sauce. Then a very well cooked quail with baby beets and cous cous. Then a rib eye with an ox tail sauce and a vanilla hint. Finally, an apple and fennel with a cheese gelato and almond crumble.
The place is nice and music is well selected. A little bit hot in the terrace.
Ask for the specific date as the restaurant closes some time during summer.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
“Same Great entrees...three Different Portion Sizes”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

What a great concept! My wife and I love to go out to a really romantic restaurant and share each others meal choice. Drew Deckman has a better idea. Small sized entrees just like the full "dinner" portions but at a lesser price. Now we can share 4-5 different items from the regular menu...Because the menu changes almost daily we can return several times and never tire of the same thing. Besides...with the extensive wine by the glass options, is a great way to create your own "wine pairing" experience.

This is a "Must" dinning experience while in San Jose del Cabo.

If your heading north to Mexico's "Wine Country" try Drew's summer place there as well. Get the particulars while enjoying dinner in Cabo.

• Visited June 2013
Cabo San Lucas
“Just perfect”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

My girlfriend came back from a vacation, when i picked her from the airport she was tired and hungry after long flights. As i heard very good comments on Deckmans we decided to eat there before going back to Cabo San Lucas.

From the moment you enter the restaurant and start to walk up the stairs the place is very nicely decorated. I really liked the entrance with all the plants around, so i had a good feeling from the beginning. The music is perfect for that restaurant and just adds to the atmosphere and creates perfect ambience. It was a hot day in Cabo, but the restaurant had great breeze to cool off. Some places at the restaurant have nice views of the sea, though the only thing i was a bit annoyed was the noise from the high way from time to time and that i couldn't clearly see the see as they are few buildings in the way, but except from that the location is great.

My girlfriend ordered the chicken with risotto and asparagus, the chicken was well prepared. The risotto amount was generous and absolutely tasty; we both loved it (i had to steal some from her).
For me the whole menu looked interesting so i ordered the 5 course tasting menu, what a great choice. All of the dishes were nicely presented. The ingredients were fresh (mostly local ingredients). Each dish was different and interesting, and most important they were all good. The Gazpacho was very refreshing. The oysters were supper fresh and seems like they just came out of the sea. The quail was tender and came with delicious cauliflower puree. The steak with squash and zucchini, the stake came medium well and it was exactly the way it should have been! For desert they gave an ice cream with caramelized apples, the ice cream was light, refreshing and tasty. The only thing that wasn't exactly for my taste was the caramelized apples, I'm not a big fan of deserts that comes with liquor even though it is very popular, but this is my personal taste.

The service was really great. They were all very courteous and attentive but not annoying. The timing was very good.

The restaurant have a nice selection of local artesian boutique beers, i had a dark beer that was full with body but not too heavy. They also have a nice wine list but this time we didn't tried any.

The prices are on the high side, but this is not the usual Mexican restaurant. This restaurant is different and the food is definitely worth the price.

My girlfriend came a bit sick and tired from the flights, the waiters saw it and offered her some herbal teas along the meal. At the end of the dinner she felt much better (still a bit sick) but the attention from the staff and the good food definitely helped a bit.

Over all highly recommended for high quality dinner with local ingrediants.

• Visited June 2013