“Unexpected gem” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Tapas, Contemporary, Eclectic, Organic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Transit: KM 29 Costa Azul
Description: DECKMAN'S San Jose offers a daily changing menu, progressive 100% Mexican wine list, live jazz and great bar! Award winning Chef-Owner Drew Deckman greets you nightly with a culinary celebration of local and Baja California Ingredients. Live Music on a regular basis! Mexican Craft Beers and ample outdoor seating.
Livingston, Montana
“Unexpected gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

This was our first time at Deckman's and after one look at the inventive menu we decided to try the 7-course tasting menu and loved every last morsel of our meal. The food was beautifully presented, each dish a delight for eyes and palate. The sauces with each preparation were delicate yet deeply flavorful. We definitely will be back again.
The service was attentive and friendly. Our server warned us that as the restaurant fills up the service may be a bit less attentive, but we felt that the erving staff made up in friendliness for the somewhat slower service come course 6 and 7.
The price may sound high at first, but given the quality of the food and the complexity of each dish, this was actually a bargain.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

89% Recommend
Todos Santos
“Gastronomer's Delight”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

The first time I visited Deckman's it was late at night and I was alone and hungry. I didn't really know what to expect, but something led me there. As I climbed the stairs to the first landing, I found myself in a unique kind of road house/surf shack meets rustic mountain chalet or something. I was seated at the bar and was given a menu that made my eyes pop. Where was I?? Who created this?? Thoughts of dining in Switzerland or France swooshed through my brain. It didn't seem possible that this food was being prepared in Baja Sur. I immediately ordered foie gras and short ribs. The Baja wine selection is extensive. I was in heaven. When the chef/owner, Drew Deckman, came out to see how I was doing, he ended up sitting with me for a bit and sharing some mezcal after dinner. All I kept thinking was I found a comfortable place with the most amazing food, such a genteel man cooking it....top it off with cool jazz in the background, and there's not much more anyone can offer.
Chef Drew is that rare mix of having been super trained by some of the most famous chefs in the world, putting his own twist on all that. He changes the menu frequently, depending on what's available, and his casual, low key manner sets the tone for what appears to be a very loyal and happy staff, who obviously appreciate him. I can see myself eating there as often as possible when I am in the San Jose area, and I look forward to experiencing new tastes and surprises in the future.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
West Coast, CAnada
“Good But ...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

their are other options that offer a more interesting setting for the price. We know this is a very popular spot as our condo is basically across the street.
The service was outstanding to start and as the restaurant filled it declined. The appetizers were outstanding, the wine reasonable. Beside the service not being consistent the biggest disappointment was the steak dinner for two at $90. The menu states a really big steak, it was not even half of what the menu says and it was under cooked significantly. Yes we could have sent it back but that was not the point. It was obviously undercooked and they served it that way. Even though the apps were great to us it is not worth the price to sit on the highway when there are lots of restaurants with interesting decor and consistent service for your vacation dollars.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Chicago
“Pleasant Surprise!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

We chose Deckmans because it was our first night, we knew we would be tired and it was our close to our condo. Expected a "nice, casual meal". We were in for a big surprise! Turned out to be one of the best meals we had all week and the service was great too! Had their tasting menu and the chef did an awesome job, even with a couple recommended changes by our party. Highly recommended!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
new orleans
“Good food with lot's of pretention”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Great ingredients, good balance of flavors, interesting combinations are what you will find at Deckman's. Be prepared to pay the price for it. Portions are small and the vibe is very elite.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere