“June 2013 Vacation” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Melia Cabo Real All-Inclusive Beach & Golf Resort

Save Saved
You added Melia Cabo Real All-Inclusive Beach & Golf Resort to your Saves list
Melia Cabo Real All-Inclusive Beach & Golf Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Transpeninsular Km 19.5 | Sector 5, San Jose del Cabo 23410, Mexico   |
Ranked #24 of 39 hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Temecula, California
“June 2013 Vacation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Excellent 5 night vacation. We are well travelled middle aged couple who like food and enjoying a nice relaxing drink as a backgrounder. Read up before and requested building 3 above ground floor and emailed Mario to request and they gave me a great room overlooking ocean and next to pool - room 3116. Room was spacious and quiet in evening yet close to everything and AC worked like a charm. Reception staff were great on arrival although a little short staff I think and busy times like check in were slow if you went there for any items at that time. Pool bar especially Jose were great and super friendly. Palapa staff for breakfast, lunch and the couple of dinners we went too were great too and service with a smile the whole time. Never had an issue with pool chairs being available nor waiting for tables to eat. Don't have children but the guys we met who did said the amenities for them were great. Only downside for us was the 3 other restaurants on site apart from buffet were not all open every night - I think that is the season we booked rather than problems. Terraza was pretty good but Hajari was only ok. The Mexican restaurant didn't open while we were there. Food at buffet for breakfast and lunch was good, but dinner for my wife for example as a vegetarian was a little limited beyond pretty good salad options. Didn't use the beach as its not really a swimming location but looked nice and clean and no real evidence of guys harassing you to buy stuff. Overall the property while not new looked in great shape especially the areas from pool to lobby all were in great shape. Went off site for dinner one night only a couple miles down road and this was $20 each way which I thought a little high so be prepared for that if you venture out. Didn't find any of the items some have mentioned really negative like time share guys or people asking for tips. It is not a party hotel so in general it was relaxed and not so noisy but we had a great time in the pool bar. Surprised the lobby bar wasn't a little livelier in early evenings. All in all we had a great relaxed vacation which is what we were after.

Room Tip: Off the ground floor and building 3 would be my choices
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Meliacaboreal, Guest Experience Manager at Melia Cabo Real All-Inclusive Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear User. Mick A

It gives us great pleasure to know that you had wonderful experiences during your stay at Melia Cabo Real, your perceptions with regards to our services helps us to improve and maintain the level of service that distinguishes the Melia HotelsWe appreciate that you have given the task of dedicating part of your time to share your experiences with other travelers through this media.

2,012 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (432)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

We have been to this resort a few times now and we continue to go back because it is our home away from home .... All the staff is awesome especially Agustine , Jesus and Lino.
Bell boys Alberto and Raul are amazing ... They greeted us like family and recommended places to see .
They replaced the old mattresses with much comfier ones ...
One thing that I do think they need to update is their fitness center . They have weight and cardio machines that don't work properly and need to be replaced .
Beside that it was an awesome stay and will definitely be returning soon.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear User ; Dmadrid1

It gives us great pleasure to know that you had wonderful experiences during your stay at Melia Cabo Real, your perceptions with regards to our services helps us to improve and maintain the level of service that distinguishes the Melia Hotels, We appreciate that you have given the task of dedicating part of your time to share your experiences with other travelers through this media.

Your comments will be transmitted to Agustin , Lino , Alberto, Raul and Jesus who helped build your memorable experiences.

I am at your service for any future requirements as we expect you back at the hotel and trust to have the opportunity to overcome your expectations with the passion for service that is characteristic of the Melia Hotels.

Southern California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Just got back from a 5 night/6 day vacation at Melia Cabo Real! It was AMAZING in all aspects! I have a quick run down of the pro's and the con's.
PROs:
+New mattresses installed 3 days ago
+Fitness center was fully operational and inside a room in the hotel
+Kids Club, not many reviews on this and surprised as it was such a great benefit for us.
+Kids Tip: FIND the tennis court, not advertised well but great area for kids to burn off some Shirley temples and RUN and SCREAM and be KIDS!
+Ocean View balcony faced the ocean to a great view not a little turn you head to the corner and you see the ocean but a great view of ocean
+Food was great! Best meal that we have was at La Terreza and we ordered family style and they brought it all out and we shared and tasted a bit of everything.
+Pool totally kid friendly deepest part was 4 FT approx.
+STAFF, each and every time we asked for something out of the ordinary they were able to deliver.
+2 Full Beds TIP the bed are easily moved and we put ours together and made a family super bed and our kids loved it.
+Dinner reservations each night we requested arrived at the counter before 11:00
+WIFI TIP: become a MELIA Rewards member free wifi each and every day savings of $18 per day!
CONs
I had to nit pick a little as everything was awesome but areas they can improve upon:
-No Conditioner in room, the shampoo was a built in condition but ladies we all know swimming all day a built in condition was not going to help
-late turn down service 10:30PM typically
-between the hours of 10:00 and 11:00 there is no food service just an issue for us one night when we wanted a late night snack (we probably didn't need the calories)
-shower is crazy! super hard to get in and the pressure is like a hurricane!
-picking up a wifi code each day at the counter was a pain

Best Staff Member: JOSE pool bartender, made great drinks all day long! Loved Ms. Linda a lady that wore many hats for entertaining the guest adults and children! Thank you Marisol a great caregiver to our children at the kids club we at times didn't want to come to the pool with us but stay in the kids club and do water balloon fights and sand castle contest.

Room Tip: Ocean View is great for the extra money! We were in 3326 and had great vaulted ceilings that made th...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear User: Monica62

We appreciate that you have given the task of dedicating part of your time to share your experiences with other travelers through this media and because you have pointed out a great amount of details.It gives us great pleasure to know that you had wonderful experiences during your stay at Melia Cabo Real, your perceptions with regards to our services helps us to improve and maintain the level of service that distinguishes the Melia Hotels Your comments will be transmitted to Lina and Jose they will be congratulated for their efforts. since they helped build your memorable experiences.

We are at your service for any future requirements as we expect you back at the hotel and trust to have the opportunity to overcome your expectations with the passion for service that is characteristic of the Melia Hotels.

Modesto, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Okay, just got back from our stay at the Melia Cabo! I am not going to lie, I was a little nervous because there are a lot of negative reviews out there about the Melia. Don’t believe them! This place was gorgeous. It was immaculate inside and out. We were celebrating our 30th Anniversary (which I let them know the day before when I called to confirm everything) We booked through Expedia and paid for an Ocean Front View, totally worth the extra money! When we checked in we asked if there were any upgrades and were told that we had already been upgraded and they were sure that we would be happy with our room. Wow, they were right. They had upgraded us to a Jr. Suite. The room was huge, and spotless and the view was beautiful. They had a bottle of Champagne waiting for us with a Congratulations Letter. Perfect way to start the trip.
On the way to our room I saw several rooms having the mattresses replaces (I saw a lot of comments about this in reviews) I believe ours had been replaced already too and the bed was very comfortable. The food was good, not over the top good, but good, especially the Mexican Food at breakfast! Sooo good. The drinks were pretty good (my husband thought they were a bit watered down, but I thought they were good, of course I drank champagne most of the time). Loved La Tarraza Restaurant we would have eaten here more but were under the impression that there was a much stricter dress code than there actually is. At my urging, my husband did not pack pants, shorts only. But shorts are okay, they are just trying to discourage people from coming off the beach and pool, with flip flops and bathing suites, which I totally appreciate, make this your semi-dress up night or nights. The food was fantastic, I wish I could have tasted more!
A couple negatives (minor): There really is not a lot of entertainment so if you are looking for night life, you will need to look elsewhere at least at this time of year. It would have been nice to go and have a drink and listen to music, go dancing or to a piano bar, something. It would also be nice if there was more activities on the beach like music and a bar, it looks like they have the capability but just wasn’t open at least for our stay.
Otherwise, the Melia is wonderful. We had a great time and I am so happy I didn’t listen to the negative reviews. Already looking to book next year’s trip hopefully with the family!
Note: If you book through Expedia make sure that you see the “Local Expert”. They have an office on site and can book your activities for you. We didn’t know about this and got a little ripped off by “Daniel” and his Jet Ski/Water Taxi business. He supposedly gave us a great price for round trip water taxi service and 1 hour jet ski rental on “Brand New” Jet Ski’s on Medano Beach, we got there fine of course, but the Jet Ski’s were NOT new and he never came back to pick us up. We ended up walking back to the Marina on the beach, not that long of a walk, and I actually thought that worked out nice other than the fact that we did pay for round trip water taxi service. The next day I found out through the Expedia Expert that we could have gotten the same thing through them, including transportation to and from downtown Cabo, for quite a bit less than we paid!

Room Tip: Upgrade to the Ocean Front View, totally worth it!
Dear User. SMA122

We appreciate that you have given the task of dedicating part of your time to share your experiences with other travelers through this media. It gives us great pleasure to know that you had wonderful experiences during your stay at Melia Cabo Real, your perceptions with regards to our services helps us to improve and maintain the level of service that distinguishes the Melia Hotels, we are at your service for any future requirements as we expect you back at the hotel and trust to have the opportunity to overcome your expectations with the passion for service that is characteristic of the Melia Hotels.

Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

I want to say that the Melia Cabo Real was overall a great experience for the price. We had a great time at the resort, the hotel was booked apparently at 43%, therefore the hotel looked deserted most of the time. The service was ok, the staff was not consistent on a daily basis. There is nothing going on in the Lobby during the Day, they have a very beautiful lounge place with ZERO going on. The night club will close very early even though there was a lot of people hanging out like on a Friday night. They normally close at 12:30 am. The Lobby bartender was constantly asking for tips, which I really didn’t much appreciate. Other bartenders got the best of me such as Pacheco , Martin and Eduardo, these three guys really are fantastic always with a smile, and really focus on service. Everything happened around the pool, due to the fact that the beach bar was not open at all!...I was really disappointed about that because part of my plan going to a vacation was to chill by the beach… you were forced to stay around the pool area because the water by the beach is rough. I must say that they totally discouraged people to go down to the beach. The beach needs maintenance ASAP. Entertainers were great, special Thanks to Francisco, Fernando and Chicken Little. They did their best to entertain most people there, but it was mostly their charismatic attitude that made our stay during afternoon by the pool enjoyable. Most morning we will take off to San Lucas, to sight see, and do some activities. By the Afternoon we will come back to the resort and spend the rest of the day by the pool. It is a very family oriented resort, so if you are thinking to go there to party , you are better off to stay in San Lucas, Los Cabos area. As previously read in the comments before going to the hotels, the beds are hard!! But they were changing most of them during our stay, but we didn’t get luck with that either. If you are a coffee drinker, forget about getting good coffee for your breakfast, do tea. The only good coffee was served at the restaurant La Terraza during the evening if open. La Palapa Staff was great and welcoming, Specially Jesus Aiqala! This guy works really well, and ensures you a great experience. Some of them, were in a bad mood, and will take some time to come serve you your drinks.
BEAWARE of being harrased by ANGIE , at the entrance of the hotel, and the time share that they try to sell you. I didn’t go to a single meeting, they will pay you money to go , but they will take 5 hours of your vacation sitting in a conference room from what I heard. Angie will also harassed you on a daily basis for taxi service or to book activities. She is to be avoided.

Taxi drivers don`t charge by destination, but yet by the number of people going in. Apparently from what I understood, 1-4 people going to san lucas is approximately 25$ USD, any extras will be paying 5-6$ make sure to negotiate a flat rate of 3$ -4$ a person. These people they will screw you as fast as they look at you. Therefore make sure to confirm with the taxi driver before you go anywhere, the total price. Or take the bus for 2$ or 20$ pesos.

The receptionist at the hotel are awesome, really helpful. Adelina, was really nice and made sure that we got a good room in the section that I wanted. Do not , I repeat do not stay in the ground floors, or you may be surprised with either a snake, tarantulas, or cockroaches. After all, Los Cabos is in the middle of a desert.
Last but not least, don`t expectn high end furniture or nice chairs and couches in your room or balcony, most of their furniture are from 1989 no joke, so what you see in the pictures is what you get...

Do i recommend this hotel? if you want peace of mind, and just go to an all inclusive to just RELAX, it is a fantastic place to go because it is located 15 min apart either from san lucas or san jose, and 30 min away from los cabos airport.

Room Tip: Make sure you choose a room on the top floor.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear user. NicoToms

It gives us great pleasure to know that overall you had wonderful experiences during your stay at Melia Cabo Real, your perceptions with regards to our services helps us to improve and maintain the level of service that distinguishes the Melia Hotels, we appreciate that you have given the task of dedicating part of your time to share your experiences with other travelers through this media and more important that you pointed out many details from your experience.

Your comments will be transmitted to the all those you mention who helped you build your memorable experiences.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

I visited this hotel for 10 days with my family and extended family (15 in total - 8 adults and 7 children) and all in all, it was excellent. Staff were very courteous, food was very good, kids club a saviour, rooms were clean and spacious, fantastic pool and coastal veiws to die for. Cabo Real Golf Club (ajoining the hotel) was amazing and one of the better courses I have played...... there are not many courses in the world where breaching whales interupt you during your round. I loved it.
If were not so far from home .... I would be back there now. Well done Melia ---- keep up the good work.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear user. Digby_11

Antioch, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

My wife and I just returned from a 6 day trip to the Melia Cabo Real. After reading several negative reviews in the weeks leading up to our trip, I was skeptical to say the least. I emailed the hotel management right away and they assured me that the negative reviews were not true statements. You know what; they were right. The place was really nice and relaxing.

Room: We stayed in room 3312. It was the top floor in the closest building to the ocean. We had a wonderful view overlooking the pool and ocean (see pictures). We could see the sunrise over the mountains every morning from the balcony. It was well worth the extra $300 spent for the deluxe ocean view upgrade. Our balcony had all new steel patio furniture. The mattress was also brand new and not stiff like some of the past reviews. In fact, during our stay we saw the staff loading up old mattresses into a truck and hauling them away. They are in the process of swapping them out.

Food: We enjoyed the food choices at the hotel. I'm not sure why people are complaining. If you're looking for over the top 5 star restaurants with celebrity chefs and 7 course meals, you are at the wrong place, go to Las Vegas, they love high maintenance people. We ate at the breakfast buffet every morning. Thursday to Sunday breakfast was in La Palapa over looking the beach/ocean. They had a nice lady cooking made to order omelets and waffles which were wonderful and hot off the grill. For the most part we skipped lunch and ate at the poolside snack bar. The had a nacho bar, fries, pizza, and a cook making hamburgers and quesadillas to order so they were hot and fresh. The dinner buffet was also nice. Tuesday was Mexican night complete with a mariachi band. I had made to order tostadas, tacos, and some delicious seafood ceviche. Wednesday was seafood night, Thursday was Brazilian, Friday was Italian. Saturday we ate at the A la carte Asian fusion restaurant. It wasn't bad. Not the best sushi I've ever had, but I wasn't expecting it to be. It is not an indictment against them, I still enjoyed my meal.

Pool: The pool was great. Sure, there were some minor maintenance issues with a few broken tiles and the fountain but it was surely not enough to make the trip a total bust. I was there to relax, not complain about aesthetics. The pool was always clean and refreshing. It was relatively empty due to this being off season. My wife and I really enjoyed how quiet the resort was. It was very easy to get a drink at the swim up bar. Gilberto was our favorite bartender. He was very friendly and talked to us about moving to Cabo from Canada and Mexico City. We talked real estate for a little while over some drinks and he gave us some great information about the area. Martin and Pacheco were also great bartenders who served us drinks with a smile.Corona and Negra Modelo on tap which was awesome! There are activities every hour such as water polo, water aerobics, Mexican lottery, the lazy game, salsa dancing lessons, and Spanish lessons.

Beach: the beach was ok. My advice; wear flip flops or beach shoes. The sand is a rough shell mix which can be rough on the feet. Its not so bad in the water. There is a noticeable undertow so be careful. I would have spent a significant amount of time at the beach if it weren't for the vendors hassling you every two minutes. After a few firm "no thank yous" they left us alone during our time on the beach. The beach is the only reason I am giving this review a 4 instead of a 5. If the beach bar was open and there were less vendors, I would say 5 all the way.

Other: The lobby was beautifully lit at night. There were some nightly activities and easily accessible drinks at the lobby bar. we watched a cover band one night, they also had casino night, and Mr. Melia which was funny. The lady that checked us in was a bit of a pain in the [--] and our room was not ready until 4:00, but I wont hold that against her. I'm sure she deals with some people who are also a pain in the [--]. The housekeeping staff made up our room each day. I left them a few dollars every day and they kept the mini bar fridge stocked full the entire trip.

Excursions: We took an excursion with Esperanzas Tours down to Cabo San Lucas for a glass bottom boat tour/Arch tour. It was $35 each and gave you 3 hours of pretty much whatever you wanted. We did an hour boat tour of the reef and arch, an hour of shopping in downtown Cabo, and an hour lunch at Cabo Wabo. It was nice to have an English speaking driver who knew the area and was interesting to listen to.

Overall, I will come back to Cabo, I will return to the Melia Cabo Real. Maybe not next summer, but someday for sure.

Dear user. Mike J

It gives us great pleasure to know that overall you had wonderful experiences during your stay at Melia Cabo Real, your perceptions with regards to our services helps us to improve and maintain the level of service that distinguishes the Melia Hotels, we appreciate that you have given the task of dedicating part of your time to share your experiences with other travelers through this media.

Your comments regarding Gilberto , Martin and Pacheco have been transmitted and they have been congratulated for their efforts since they are the ones responsible of making your stay memorable.

@ mexperience@meliacaboreal.com

Been to Melia Cabo Real All-Inclusive Beach & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!