“Don't believe the tripadvisor myths AMAZING Resort” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Melia Cabo Real All-Inclusive Beach & Golf Resort

You added Melia Cabo Real All-Inclusive Beach & Golf Resort to your Saves list
Melia Cabo Real All-Inclusive Beach & Golf Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Transpeninsular Km 19.5 | Sector 5, San Jose del Cabo 23410, Mexico   |
Special Offer
up to -15% MeliáRewards
Ranked #19 of 37 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Southern California
“Don't believe the tripadvisor myths AMAZING Resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Just got back from a 5 night/6 day vacation at Melia Cabo Real! It was AMAZING in all aspects! I have a quick run down of the pro's and the con's.
PROs:
+New mattresses installed 3 days ago
+Fitness center was fully operational and inside a room in the hotel
+Kids Club, not many reviews on this and surprised as it was such a great benefit for us.
+Kids Tip: FIND the tennis court, not advertised well but great area for kids to burn off some Shirley temples and RUN and SCREAM and be KIDS!
+Ocean View balcony faced the ocean to a great view not a little turn you head to the corner and you see the ocean but a great view of ocean
+Food was great! Best meal that we have was at La Terreza and we ordered family style and they brought it all out and we shared and tasted a bit of everything.
+Pool totally kid friendly deepest part was 4 FT approx.
+STAFF, each and every time we asked for something out of the ordinary they were able to deliver.
+2 Full Beds TIP the bed are easily moved and we put ours together and made a family super bed and our kids loved it.
+Dinner reservations each night we requested arrived at the counter before 11:00
+WIFI TIP: become a MELIA Rewards member free wifi each and every day savings of $18 per day!
CONs
I had to nit pick a little as everything was awesome but areas they can improve upon:
-No Conditioner in room, the shampoo was a built in condition but ladies we all know swimming all day a built in condition was not going to help
-late turn down service 10:30PM typically
-between the hours of 10:00 and 11:00 there is no food service just an issue for us one night when we wanted a late night snack (we probably didn't need the calories)
-shower is crazy! super hard to get in and the pressure is like a hurricane!
-picking up a wifi code each day at the counter was a pain

Best Staff Member: JOSE pool bartender, made great drinks all day long! Loved Ms. Linda a lady that wore many hats for entertaining the guest adults and children! Thank you Marisol a great caregiver to our children at the kids club we at times didn't want to come to the pool with us but stay in the kids club and do water balloon fights and sand castle contest.

Room Tip: Ocean View is great for the extra money! We were in 3326 and had great vaulted ceilings that made th...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Meliacaboreal, Guest Experience Manager at Melia Cabo Real All-Inclusive Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear User: Monica62

We appreciate that you have given the task of dedicating part of your time to share your experiences with other travelers through this media and because you have pointed out a great amount of details.It gives us great pleasure to know that you had wonderful experiences during your stay at Melia Cabo Real, your perceptions with regards to our services helps us to improve and maintain the level of service that distinguishes the Melia Hotels Your comments will be transmitted to Lina and Jose they will be congratulated for their efforts. since they helped build your memorable experiences.

We are at your service for any future requirements as we expect you back at the hotel and trust to have the opportunity to overcome your expectations with the passion for service that is characteristic of the Melia Hotels.

@ mexperience@meliacaboreal.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (454)
Modesto, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Okay, just got back from our stay at the Melia Cabo! I am not going to lie, I was a little nervous because there are a lot of negative reviews out there about the Melia. Don’t believe them! This place was gorgeous. It was immaculate inside and out. We were celebrating our 30th Anniversary (which I let them know the day before when I called to confirm everything) We booked through Expedia and paid for an Ocean Front View, totally worth the extra money! When we checked in we asked if there were any upgrades and were told that we had already been upgraded and they were sure that we would be happy with our room. Wow, they were right. They had upgraded us to a Jr. Suite. The room was huge, and spotless and the view was beautiful. They had a bottle of Champagne waiting for us with a Congratulations Letter. Perfect way to start the trip.
On the way to our room I saw several rooms having the mattresses replaces (I saw a lot of comments about this in reviews) I believe ours had been replaced already too and the bed was very comfortable. The food was good, not over the top good, but good, especially the Mexican Food at breakfast! Sooo good. The drinks were pretty good (my husband thought they were a bit watered down, but I thought they were good, of course I drank champagne most of the time). Loved La Tarraza Restaurant we would have eaten here more but were under the impression that there was a much stricter dress code than there actually is. At my urging, my husband did not pack pants, shorts only. But shorts are okay, they are just trying to discourage people from coming off the beach and pool, with flip flops and bathing suites, which I totally appreciate, make this your semi-dress up night or nights. The food was fantastic, I wish I could have tasted more!
A couple negatives (minor): There really is not a lot of entertainment so if you are looking for night life, you will need to look elsewhere at least at this time of year. It would have been nice to go and have a drink and listen to music, go dancing or to a piano bar, something. It would also be nice if there was more activities on the beach like music and a bar, it looks like they have the capability but just wasn’t open at least for our stay.
Otherwise, the Melia is wonderful. We had a great time and I am so happy I didn’t listen to the negative reviews. Already looking to book next year’s trip hopefully with the family!
Note: If you book through Expedia make sure that you see the “Local Expert”. They have an office on site and can book your activities for you. We didn’t know about this and got a little ripped off by “Daniel” and his Jet Ski/Water Taxi business. He supposedly gave us a great price for round trip water taxi service and 1 hour jet ski rental on “Brand New” Jet Ski’s on Medano Beach, we got there fine of course, but the Jet Ski’s were NOT new and he never came back to pick us up. We ended up walking back to the Marina on the beach, not that long of a walk, and I actually thought that worked out nice other than the fact that we did pay for round trip water taxi service. The next day I found out through the Expedia Expert that we could have gotten the same thing through them, including transportation to and from downtown Cabo, for quite a bit less than we paid!

Room Tip: Upgrade to the Ocean Front View, totally worth it!
Dear User. SMA122

We appreciate that you have given the task of dedicating part of your time to share your experiences with other travelers through this media. It gives us great pleasure to know that you had wonderful experiences during your stay at Melia Cabo Real, your perceptions with regards to our services helps us to improve and maintain the level of service that distinguishes the Melia Hotels, we are at your service for any future requirements as we expect you back at the hotel and trust to have the opportunity to overcome your expectations with the passion for service that is characteristic of the Melia Hotels.

Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

I want to say that the Melia Cabo Real was overall a great experience for the price. We had a great time at the resort, the hotel was booked apparently at 43%, therefore the hotel looked deserted most of the time. The service was ok, the staff was not consistent on a daily basis. There is nothing going on in the Lobby during the Day, they have a very beautiful lounge place with ZERO going on. The night club will close very early even though there was a lot of people hanging out like on a Friday night. They normally close at 12:30 am. The Lobby bartender was constantly asking for tips, which I really didn’t much appreciate. Other bartenders got the best of me such as Pacheco , Martin and Eduardo, these three guys really are fantastic always with a smile, and really focus on service. Everything happened around the pool, due to the fact that the beach bar was not open at all!...I was really disappointed about that because part of my plan going to a vacation was to chill by the beach… you were forced to stay around the pool area because the water by the beach is rough. I must say that they totally discouraged people to go down to the beach. The beach needs maintenance ASAP. Entertainers were great, special Thanks to Francisco, Fernando and Chicken Little. They did their best to entertain most people there, but it was mostly their charismatic attitude that made our stay during afternoon by the pool enjoyable. Most morning we will take off to San Lucas, to sight see, and do some activities. By the Afternoon we will come back to the resort and spend the rest of the day by the pool. It is a very family oriented resort, so if you are thinking to go there to party , you are better off to stay in San Lucas, Los Cabos area. As previously read in the comments before going to the hotels, the beds are hard!! But they were changing most of them during our stay, but we didn’t get luck with that either. If you are a coffee drinker, forget about getting good coffee for your breakfast, do tea. The only good coffee was served at the restaurant La Terraza during the evening if open. La Palapa Staff was great and welcoming, Specially Jesus Aiqala! This guy works really well, and ensures you a great experience. Some of them, were in a bad mood, and will take some time to come serve you your drinks.
BEAWARE of being harrased by ANGIE , at the entrance of the hotel, and the time share that they try to sell you. I didn’t go to a single meeting, they will pay you money to go , but they will take 5 hours of your vacation sitting in a conference room from what I heard. Angie will also harassed you on a daily basis for taxi service or to book activities. She is to be avoided.

Taxi drivers don`t charge by destination, but yet by the number of people going in. Apparently from what I understood, 1-4 people going to san lucas is approximately 25$ USD, any extras will be paying 5-6$ make sure to negotiate a flat rate of 3$ -4$ a person. These people they will screw you as fast as they look at you. Therefore make sure to confirm with the taxi driver before you go anywhere, the total price. Or take the bus for 2$ or 20$ pesos.

The receptionist at the hotel are awesome, really helpful. Adelina, was really nice and made sure that we got a good room in the section that I wanted. Do not , I repeat do not stay in the ground floors, or you may be surprised with either a snake, tarantulas, or cockroaches. After all, Los Cabos is in the middle of a desert.
Last but not least, don`t expectn high end furniture or nice chairs and couches in your room or balcony, most of their furniture are from 1989 no joke, so what you see in the pictures is what you get...

Do i recommend this hotel? if you want peace of mind, and just go to an all inclusive to just RELAX, it is a fantastic place to go because it is located 15 min apart either from san lucas or san jose, and 30 min away from los cabos airport.

Room Tip: Make sure you choose a room on the top floor.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear user. NicoToms

It gives us great pleasure to know that overall you had wonderful experiences during your stay at Melia Cabo Real, your perceptions with regards to our services helps us to improve and maintain the level of service that distinguishes the Melia Hotels, we appreciate that you have given the task of dedicating part of your time to share your experiences with other travelers through this media and more important that you pointed out many details from your experience.

Your comments will be transmitted to the all those you mention who helped you build your memorable experiences.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

I visited this hotel for 10 days with my family and extended family (15 in total - 8 adults and 7 children) and all in all, it was excellent. Staff were very courteous, food was very good, kids club a saviour, rooms were clean and spacious, fantastic pool and coastal veiws to die for. Cabo Real Golf Club (ajoining the hotel) was amazing and one of the better courses I have played...... there are not many courses in the world where breaching whales interupt you during your round. I loved it.
If were not so far from home .... I would be back there now. Well done Melia ---- keep up the good work.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear user. Digby_11

Antioch, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

My wife and I just returned from a 6 day trip to the Melia Cabo Real. After reading several negative reviews in the weeks leading up to our trip, I was skeptical to say the least. I emailed the hotel management right away and they assured me that the negative reviews were not true statements. You know what; they were right. The place was really nice and relaxing.

Room: We stayed in room 3312. It was the top floor in the closest building to the ocean. We had a wonderful view overlooking the pool and ocean (see pictures). We could see the sunrise over the mountains every morning from the balcony. It was well worth the extra $300 spent for the deluxe ocean view upgrade. Our balcony had all new steel patio furniture. The mattress was also brand new and not stiff like some of the past reviews. In fact, during our stay we saw the staff loading up old mattresses into a truck and hauling them away. They are in the process of swapping them out.

Food: We enjoyed the food choices at the hotel. I'm not sure why people are complaining. If you're looking for over the top 5 star restaurants with celebrity chefs and 7 course meals, you are at the wrong place, go to Las Vegas, they love high maintenance people. We ate at the breakfast buffet every morning. Thursday to Sunday breakfast was in La Palapa over looking the beach/ocean. They had a nice lady cooking made to order omelets and waffles which were wonderful and hot off the grill. For the most part we skipped lunch and ate at the poolside snack bar. The had a nacho bar, fries, pizza, and a cook making hamburgers and quesadillas to order so they were hot and fresh. The dinner buffet was also nice. Tuesday was Mexican night complete with a mariachi band. I had made to order tostadas, tacos, and some delicious seafood ceviche. Wednesday was seafood night, Thursday was Brazilian, Friday was Italian. Saturday we ate at the A la carte Asian fusion restaurant. It wasn't bad. Not the best sushi I've ever had, but I wasn't expecting it to be. It is not an indictment against them, I still enjoyed my meal.

Pool: The pool was great. Sure, there were some minor maintenance issues with a few broken tiles and the fountain but it was surely not enough to make the trip a total bust. I was there to relax, not complain about aesthetics. The pool was always clean and refreshing. It was relatively empty due to this being off season. My wife and I really enjoyed how quiet the resort was. It was very easy to get a drink at the swim up bar. Gilberto was our favorite bartender. He was very friendly and talked to us about moving to Cabo from Canada and Mexico City. We talked real estate for a little while over some drinks and he gave us some great information about the area. Martin and Pacheco were also great bartenders who served us drinks with a smile.Corona and Negra Modelo on tap which was awesome! There are activities every hour such as water polo, water aerobics, Mexican lottery, the lazy game, salsa dancing lessons, and Spanish lessons.

Beach: the beach was ok. My advice; wear flip flops or beach shoes. The sand is a rough shell mix which can be rough on the feet. Its not so bad in the water. There is a noticeable undertow so be careful. I would have spent a significant amount of time at the beach if it weren't for the vendors hassling you every two minutes. After a few firm "no thank yous" they left us alone during our time on the beach. The beach is the only reason I am giving this review a 4 instead of a 5. If the beach bar was open and there were less vendors, I would say 5 all the way.

Other: The lobby was beautifully lit at night. There were some nightly activities and easily accessible drinks at the lobby bar. we watched a cover band one night, they also had casino night, and Mr. Melia which was funny. The lady that checked us in was a bit of a pain in the [--] and our room was not ready until 4:00, but I wont hold that against her. I'm sure she deals with some people who are also a pain in the [--]. The housekeeping staff made up our room each day. I left them a few dollars every day and they kept the mini bar fridge stocked full the entire trip.

Excursions: We took an excursion with Esperanzas Tours down to Cabo San Lucas for a glass bottom boat tour/Arch tour. It was $35 each and gave you 3 hours of pretty much whatever you wanted. We did an hour boat tour of the reef and arch, an hour of shopping in downtown Cabo, and an hour lunch at Cabo Wabo. It was nice to have an English speaking driver who knew the area and was interesting to listen to.

Overall, I will come back to Cabo, I will return to the Melia Cabo Real. Maybe not next summer, but someday for sure.

Dear user. Mike J

It gives us great pleasure to know that overall you had wonderful experiences during your stay at Melia Cabo Real, your perceptions with regards to our services helps us to improve and maintain the level of service that distinguishes the Melia Hotels, we appreciate that you have given the task of dedicating part of your time to share your experiences with other travelers through this media.

Your comments regarding Gilberto , Martin and Pacheco have been transmitted and they have been congratulated for their efforts since they are the ones responsible of making your stay memorable.

Moorpark, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

My wife and I recently returned from a one-week stay at the Melia Cabo Real All-Inclusive Resort on 6/10/13. Overall, it was a very nice trip. The Melia Cabo Real resort is a very nice place – although not the nicest overall resort I've stayed at in Mexico. The facility itself is very good, and most of the staff is excellent. There were a few minor issues, such as the fact that there are really only two restaurants to choose from at any given time, as opposed to the four that are advertised. For the reader’s convenience, I have rated each area of the resort individually.

Room:
The room that we finally ended up with was very nice, with marble flooring throughout, The bed was a typical hotel bed – fairly stiff. There was a small fridge which was kept stocked with water and soda – no beer. The room had a sitting area overlooking the ocean in the distance. Since we were on the ground floor, I didn’t want to leave the slider open while we slept because of security concerns. The room had a large LCD TV and spacious closet and bathroom. This was a junior suite – not a standard room.

Service:
The staff of the Melia Cabo Real is very good – except at the reception desk. Upon arrival, we were assigned to one of the worst rooms in the hotel. When we immediately went back to get that corrected, we were told that there were no other rooms available that night, but to come back tomorrow. Even a blind squirrel could see that the place was only half full, if that. So they started off with obvious lies, and we had to really struggle with the surly young women to get a better room. The next day, we told the Apple rep that we wanted to move to a different hotel. He immediately found the Operations Manager, Veronica, who was very accommodating and made sure we were appropriately taken care of so we would not leave. She upgraded us to an oceanfront junior suite, which was nice. Ironically, I would have happily paid the difference for the upgrade the day before at check-in if the mean girls hadn’t been so difficult, and lied about room availability. These two should be cleaning bathrooms instead of representing the resort at the front desk.
Everyone else from the waiters and restaurant hostesses to the bellmen were very courteous and friendly. They deserve credit (and tips) for that.

Food:
The food was pretty good for an all-inclusive resort. We always found something we liked to eat. Lots of fresh fish; I had more fish that week than the whole rest of the year. Good selection of food, and good quantities. They didn’t run out of things during meal periods. The sit-down restaurants were quite good. The food presentation was nice, almost like a cruise ship. Now for the downside: This resort advertises that there are four restaurants to choose from. In reality, there were only two at any given time. This is presumably because there were not a lot of guests while we were there. I understand the staffing cost issue, but I would have hoped for full operation of the resort nevertheless. My favorite place was the Kujiri Japanese place.

Drinks/bar:
The drinks were quite good for an all-inclusive resort, and they don’t scrimp on the liquor. I watched them pour the drinks, and they lay the booze in pretty heavily. No resistance when I asked for their best tequila available (100 Anos). Experience has shown me that a few well-placed tips with the bartenders improves their memory, and compliance. The beer selection was Corona and Modelo Negro, which is fine. No Mexican resort that I have ever been to offers more than two beers, both of which are always local brands. We had no problem with getting bar service. As mentioned elsewhere, the guest occupancy was fairly light, which is a situation that I love. Overall, I would consider the bar areas to be above average for an all-inclusive.

Resort grounds:
A lovely place! Nice public areas. A smaller resort than I’m used to, but the upside is that it makes it easier to get around. The property was well maintained, except for the sand beds. If you are going to have raked sand garden beds, you have to be prepared to rake them daily. I never saw anyone doing that. The place was clean, however, so I have no complaints.

Beach:
Here’s the downside – the resort sits on a bluff above a very wide beach area. In actuality, you have to go down several flights of steps to set foot on the beach, then you have to walk about 150-200 yards through a phalanx of vendors to get to the actual beach itself. The vendors are not supposed to be on the hotel’s beach area, but there is no hotel security whatsoever to stop them. Much of the time, the vendors enjoyed the hotel’s amenities of reclining on the sunbeds under the palapas on the beach; no enforcement of boundaries. There is a small cove between the Melia and the Hilton, which is nice to sit at and fairly safe to enter the water on the notoriously dangerous Cabo beach. The distance is an issue, and so is the fact that the beach bar was closed the entire time we were there. I was not happy about that. They should have had the beach bar staffed. In actuality, I never saw a Melia staff member on the beach EVER.

Location:
The hotel is in “The Corridor”, which is to say not in town. Fairly remote from Cabo San Lucas. I would have liked to have been closer in to where the action is, but some people will like the quiet location. I can’t complain, because I saw where the resort was located when I booked, but didn’t realize just how far from town it actually is.

Amenities and Entertainment:
No night club, and no real entertainment. Not much to do at night after dinner, and too far from town to motivate me to go in for night activities. Pretty sleepy. They have a lobby bar which is quite nice. They had a DJ one night, but that was it.

Dear user. Bartman51

we appreciate that you have given the task of dedicating part of your time to share your experiences with other travelers through this media with such a detail.

It gives us great pleasure to know that overall you had a good time during your stay at Melia Cabo Real, your perceptions with regards to our services will helps us to improve and maintain the level of service that distinguishes the Melia Hotels.

St. Albert, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

I definitely wouldn't say this is a 4.5 star, maybe a 3.5 to a 4 star. For the first time since we began travelling, we were not met with a cool towel and a drink. Not the end of the world but for a 4.5 star I would say this is not the norm. We were impressed with the lobby and the grounds but then we got to our room. This was a deluxe gardenview room and from talking with other people we met, their rooms were the same. It's like they just threw a coat of paint on the walls and some old furniture in hopes that it looked updated but it didn't work (see my pics of the rooms). The patio furniture was old painted wicker and the paint was peeling.
They did replace the mattresses so when we were there they changed it out to a pillowtop so they've solved that problem.
When we got down to the pool we noticed that there are quite a lot of tiles that have fallen off and the concrete at the pool edge has started to fall off and is quite sharp. Then we went down to the beach. We love the Caribbean and laying around on the beach and swimming in the ocean is a big plus for us. This is definitely not the place to do this. The sand when you first step onto it is quite coarse and actually hurts the feet until you get used to it. Just to elaborate. My husband played beach volleyball and dove for the ball once. His knees actually bled. The "beach" is huge and is a bit of a walk but not that big of a deal and as you get closer to the ocean the sand gets softer. The resort built a breakwater to make a little cove for swimming but it definitely isn't what I would call a swimmable beach because the current and rip-tide is still quite strong, especially on days where the ocean is a bit rough. I went in a couple of times but it was still a bit too strong for my liking so I definitely wouldn't let kids swim in there and we only saw some local kids in the water. Aside from this little cove, you absolutely cannot swim in the water as the waves get quite big.
Then, there are the vendors. You will be approached as soon as you step away from the resort by about 6 different vendors but once you say no they will leave you alone. There are also a couple of portable toilets set up on beach as well some huts that the vendors have and it kind of makes the beach look shabby.
We were actually thinking of moving to another hotel because of the room and the beach but decided to stick it out. By the next day we didn't mind it as much. It is very clean and the staff is awesome. By far, this is the best service we've ever had, including the Caribbean. When they say they'll have someone at your room in 5 to 10 minutes they are there within that time.
The food absolutely sucks!!! For those of you who say that food isn't that big of a deal, you'll be rethinking that if you stay here. We didn't think so either but it was quite bad. Very few things were hot and most of it was well overdone. It actually made going for dinner a bad experience.
If you don't want to be around a lot of kids, don't go here either.
All in all, it wasn't what we expected for a 4.5 star but they are trying.
We wouldn't go back to the Melia nor would we return to Cabo. It is extremely commercial and Americanized almost to the point where it has lost it's culture. There is a Walmart, Sam's Club, Home Depot, etc. When you go into town you will be approached by staff in front of restaurants trying to get you to go into their establishment. Walking along the marina, you will be approached constantly to see if you want a water taxi. Medano beach is ridiculous. We went at the beginning of June in the low season and there were tons of people on the beach. We went there for one afternoon and couldn't wait to get away. Seriously, we were approached about every 30-45 seconds from vendors and after about 10 minutes we were really tired of saying no. I honestly thought that the people who had put in their reviews that the vendors were annoying were exaggerating but not so. It's also for partiers so if you're looking to party you'll probably love Cabo but if you want a relaxing beach vacation stay away.
We now know that the Caribbean is more of our type of destination

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Meliacaboreal, Guest Experience Manager at Melia Cabo Real All-Inclusive Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, June 16, 2013
Dear user. strechNstumpy

It gives us great pleasure to know that overall you had a good time during your stay at Melia Cabo Real, and we regret that some of our services were not as you expected. however your perceptions with regards to our services will helps us to improve and maintain the level of service that distinguishes the Melia Hotels.

We are at your service for any future requirements as we expect you back with us or any of our sister hotels in the Caribbean like Paradissus, which we are sure it will suit you according to your preferences.

@ mexperience@meliacaboreal.com

Been to Melia Cabo Real All-Inclusive Beach & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!