Save Saved
You added Melia Cabo Real All-Inclusive Beach & Golf Resort to your Saves list
Melia Cabo Real All-Inclusive Beach & Golf Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Transpeninsular Km 19.5 | Sector 5, San Jose del Cabo 23410, Mexico   |
Ranked #21 of 39 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Highlands Ranch, Colorado, United States
“Nice”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Not the best I have stayed in but definately not the worst. Our room was not ready when promised (3 different times) but we were able to get some food and drinks while we waited. On our 6th night, my husband got locked in the room (the door would not open) and maintenance had to climb over the balcony from another room and completely remove the door handle to get the door open but this minor hiccup was fixed quickly and efficiently. The food is okay. I have stayed at other all inclusives where you do not have to stand in line for 1 hour each day to get an 8:30 or 9:00 reservation at one of the non-buffet restaurants. I'm sure we could have gotten an earlier time if we waited in line longer than 1 hour. You had to get up between 5 and 6 o'clock to reserve chairs by the pool or overlooking the ocean even though the posted signs claim you cannot reserve chairs. This was during Spring Break though. The beach is the biggest I have seen but rocky until you get closer to the water. The kids had fun boggey boarding until my daughter was stung by a jelly fish. There was a group nearby that rented out jet skis, kayaks, horses, etc. We did the jet skis and horse back and would recommend both. Overall we had an okay expereince but doubt we would return to this resort. The wait staff was nice (especially if you tipped after your meal in the buffets). We always had a table waiting and ready for us because of that.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Meliacaboreal, Guest Experience Manager at Melia Cabo Real All-Inclusive Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Dear user: Holly B

Thank you, for your comments and perceptions with regards to our services which helps us to improve and maintain the level of service that distinguishes the Melia Hotels.,

I am at your service for any future requirements as we expect you back and trust to have the opportunity to overcome your expectations with the passion for service that is characteristic of the Melia Hotels.

@ mexperience@meliacaboreal.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (442)
Davison, Michigan, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Great. Food is always available. Alcohol is as well, especially nice in the pool bar. the resort is very clean. Staff is also very helpful, except for the desk staff. Pool is wonderful. Not too many young children, not very many spring breakers either. Nice and quiet if you are looking to relax.
Medium. Chair reservations for the pool are like all warm weather resorts...the early bird gets the best chairs. Beds are not as hard as reviewed previously.
Poor. Got a first floor room, tried to get it changed to no avail. Kept hearing from front desk..all booked up. People coming and going should have opened up some rooms. Reservations to two restaurants don't make sense..always half empty.

Room Tip: Figure out how to ask and get the room location you want.....then tell me how you did it!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear user: Ellen L

We appreciate that you have given the task of dedicating part of your time to share your experiences with other travelers through this media, we thank you, for your comments and perceptions with regards to our services which helps us to improve and maintain the level of service that distinguishes the Melia Hotels

Vancouver, Canada

* Rooms: very good

* Food: good to very good (especially the Palapa) - I am a vegetarian and ate mainly fruits and vegetables

* Employees:
Always smiling, attentive and courteous.
Grecia, responsible for seating the guests at the Palapa restaurant, tried to personalize our experience. She was polite, warm and always greeted us with enthusiasm.
The waiters were great too:
Jesus, Abelardo, Uriel... are only a few examples of people who showed a great attitude - always smiling, helpful and trying to attend our every need.

* The entertainment was fun - especially the magic show.
We would have liked more folkloric shows, without an excessively loud sound system.
One night, there was a Mariachi band - for a wedding - that was the kind of ambiance we really like - less amplifiers - more authenticity.

* What we also liked is that there were all kinds of people there: Families with children and grandparents, teenagers... They were from various places: USA, Canada, Mexico... it was like a small international community.

* Location:
A bit too far from any small town for us.

* Transportation:
Taxis were very expensive.

* Tour:
The tour of the two cities was a good way to get a feel for were we were.
Cabo San Lucas is more commercial; San José del Cabo is more traditional.

* Overall:
It's a good place to go for relaxing, especially if you stay at the hotel.
You can take cooking and dancing classes (for free)...
There are many tours (they tend to be expensive).
Marine life is great: whales, sea lions, pelicans...
You cannot swim in the ocean - only the pools.
Nice gardens and architecture.
Personnel generally extremely nice.

¡Hasta luego!

Room Tip: Stay away from the "commercial concierge", who try to get you to go to "high pressure...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear user: C D

The personnel you mention. Grecia Jesus, Abelardo, Uriel. will be congratulated for their efforts , since they are the ones responsible of creating memorable moments.

New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

We recently returned from a stay at the Melia. We had a wonderful time and only a couple of minor issues.

We made reservations for a king bed room and upon check in were told that there was only double bed rooms available. Since had anticipated this issue from reading other reviews; I made sure that my travel agent reach out to the resort as well as calling the hotel myself. No luck we were given a double bed room. Thankfully the hotel moved us the next day when a king bed room was available.

The rooms are average sized, clean, and in decent shape. We had no complaints about the room. Couldn't get a good handle on the temperature for the air conditioning overnight...but nothing to make a fuss over.

The food was good at all of the restaurants. We tried both buffet restaurants, both a la cart restaurants, and the pool grill. Everything was nicely presented and well prepared. The only downside is that reservations for the a la cart restaurants are required daily and they need to be made early in the morning or you don't get a time slot. Would be nicer if the reservations could be made for the entire week. That way you can avoid standing on line to make them everyday.

The pool is large and relaxing. The pool loungers seem to go super early in the morning. People seem to get up at the crack of dawn and put a towel on every lounger by the pool. We would be by the pool by 8 am and just about every spot was taken. We decided to rent a cabana in order to secure a spot. The cabana worked out great and our pool server was excellent. We had a little bit of an issue on a couple of days were people even moved away the two loungers next to our cabana. But the staff was great and made brought us two loungers as replacements.

The beach is nice and swimmable. Much better than some of the other beaches we saw during our trip. The hotel has some cabanas and loungers by the beach where you can get some shade. It is a bit of a walk to the water but it gives you a way to work off all the excellent food. The only thing that would have made the beach nicer would be if the beach bar was open. And if the pushy salespeople were removed.

The spa is very nice. I booked a manicure/pedicure during our stay. The two women that took care of me (Consuelo and her sister) provide excellent service and I would have booked more services if we had more time.

The mini club (children's club) is also excellent. The women (Marisol and Angelica) there were GREAT with our 10 month old. We felt comfortable dropping our son off when we needed a baby break. He had a great time crawling and playing in the mini club. And both ladies made sure to pay extra attention to him especially since the other children were much older than him.

We had a wonderful trip and would return.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Meliacaboreal, Guest Experience Manager at Melia Cabo Real All-Inclusive Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Dear user: Gabbyola

Thank you, for your comments and perceptions with regards to our services which helps us to improve and maintain the level of service that distinguishes the Melia Hotels.We appreciate that you have given the task of dedicating part of your time to share your experiences with other travelers through this media and most important that you have pointed out every single detail.

The personnel you mention. Angelica , Consuelo ; Cony and Marisol will be congratulated for their efforts , since they are the ones responsible of creating memorable moments.

Vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

To be up front, although I travel all over the world extensively this was my and my family's first experience with an all-inclusive resort. After this experience we are definitely going to try it again.

The Melia Cabo Real is located about mid-way between San Jose del Cabo and Cabo San Lucas with former being a bit closer. It is in an area where there's a cove that allow for swimming in the ocean which isn't common on this stretch of beach. The Melia is right next to the Hilton on one side and the Cabo Real golf course on the other.

Our travel group plans had us arriving just after midnight on a Sunday. Despite having a bus and a half of people come in at this late time I found the check in to be acceptable in wait time and efficiency and the staff even brought out refreshments and sandwiches for the waiting guests.

We arrived in our room and as others have noted it is a simple room. We had a top floor (floor 5) room in building 4 adjacent to the Hilton. Buildings 1, 2 and 3 are on the opposite wing of the property adjacent to the golf course. Being a top floor room the ceilings were vaulted which I appreciated. Each room has sliding glass doors with their own private balcony with two seats and a table. The room had two double beds, a set of drawers with a regular tube TV on it and the mini-bar built in. It had a small round table with two seats around it and a single chair with a ottoman. A decent size room and better than I thought when I compare it to the official website pictures. The closet is a good size and there is a place to put your bag attached to our drawer unit.

The beds are quite firm as many other reviewers have noted but I like firm beds and found them to be just fine. Others who like soft beds can ask for bed toppers and that seems to help take the firmness away.

The bathroom had a water closet, single sink with decent sized vanity. The tub and shower were narrow but acceptable. A thing to note is the water pressure. I turned the tap on to what I normally do and then pulled up the button for the shower and it was almost pressure washer type pressure. I figured out that you didn't need a lot of water coming out of the tap to get good pressure.

The temperature control for the room was simple and worked well. Overall I found the room very clean and tidy. it isn't one of the modern, generic rooms you would see in the Hilton's around the world where you can't tell what city you're in by the decor. This room had a Mexican piece of art embedded into the wall and they kept it clean and simple so you knew where you were but it wasn't in your face if that makes sense.

Speaking of clean, overall I found the room and the entire property to be very well maintained and clean at all times. Some of the recent reviews of seen indicated the opposite so I'm not sure why. Considering I was there at spring break while the property was full I was impressed with how tidy everything was.

There are four restaurants on the property with two that you can reserve at the concierge (who arrives at 9am but you better arrive at least 15 to 20 earlier as a lineup builds). The first is La Terraza an Italian/Mediterranean restaurant. We found this restaurant to be quite good. Kujira is their Asian fusion restaurant. We found this restaurant to be relatively nice as well so it would be a good idea to reserve both during your stay.

Agavero is the Mexican style restaurant that does not need reservations. It serves breakfast as well as dinner. They have different theme nights as well and we went to their Spanish night and found the food to be quite good.

Palapa is the buffet lounge that requires no reservation and serves breakast, lunch and dinner. Always easy to get in and the staff is quite good especially Arnuflo who we had a few times. He smiles all the time. The Captain of Palapa (can't recall his name) was also very helpful in setting up special tables for us since we were a large group of 8 adults and 6 children from 10-16.

There is a third eatery called the El Mirador snack bar near the pool and the beach view. We frequented this snackery quite often. The chef there makes a very good salsa and the variety of foods would change up a bit each day. Sometimes there would be ribs, sometimes chicken, sometimes chicken nuggets, shrimp ceviche, etc. What was constant was these really big hamburgers that stayed juicy and didn't shrink in size when cooked, hot dogs and really good fries.

One thing we did that we were told to do by acquaintances that stayed at the Melia recently was to book the Cabanas by the snack bar/jacuzzi area for the week. This can be done at the concierge. It is $25 a day and it gets you a place to go to that is semi-private and has a great view. I think we saw whales go by almost every day because of our vantage point. You also get served with coolers full of the beer you want and water which is very handy. Our server, Eduardo Monroy, was particularly good. He hustles all the time and he was there all 7 days we were at the resort. Very friendly and an excellent server. Look out for him if you get there.

There is a bar situated at the pool that can be accessed from the deck or within the pool. The pool itself is a good size but by no means huge. It is about 4' or so deep all around which makes it easy to have activities like volleyball, water polo and basketball. It's also good to just float around and cool down with a drink (Miami Vice is my favourite).

There were activities each day but it wasn't overwhelming or in your face. It's just a relaxed atmosphere. Speaking of relaxed, there is also a spa where you can have massages in Bali Beds by the beach or in the spa area. A couple of friends had deep tissue massages on the beach and had mixed reviews on the massage (masseuse dependent). I had a Swedish massage in the spa (mostly because my drunk friends would take pictures of me if I was in the semi-open Bali Beds. I found mine massage to be quite relaxing.

All in all it was an excellent trip in a clean and tidy resort with good food and a relaxed atmosphere. I'm not sure I've ever felt this relaxed after a trip before. We would definitely go back in the future.

Dear user: Warmhappyfeet

We appreciate that you have given the task of dedicating part of your time to share your experiences with other travelers through this media and most important , that you have pointed out many details of your stay.

On the other hand, we want to inform that Eduardo Monroy has been congratulated for his efforts, since he was responsible of creating memorable moments that are worth returning for.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

The location was decent if you don't mind being away from the 2 cities in the area. It was pretty easy to catch the bus in to Cabo or San Jose for $2 each way. The food was quite good and we rarely had a complaint. Asian night at the buffet was our least favourite. The grounds, lobby and restaurants were all well taken care of and were quite impressive. The rooms however could use some updating. They're a little run down and worn, but were very clean. We had a crappy old tube tv as well which was kind of annoying to watch. My biggest complaint was the fact that for about 6 of our 11 days there the ocean was unswimmable! There is a shore break of stacked boulders there but they didn't seem to do much. There was a strong swell surging very large waves in and out. I'm not sure if this is common but it was disappointing. One of the major reasons we picked this resort resort was due to its "sheltered" beach. That being said it did calm down quite a bit for the few days before we left.

• Stayed March 2013
Meliacaboreal, Guest Experience Manager at Melia Cabo Real All-Inclusive Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
Dear user: Larryk9

on the other hand, we want to inform that all the TV sets and mattress are in the process of replacement all this in order to provide and excellent service.

Cariboo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

We stayed at the Melia for a week and quite enjoyed our stay. As mentioned soooo many times on here, the double beds were rock hard, but the king was not as bad, once we got our king room..had to wait 2 days! The rooms were very clean, the shower pressure was good and the fridge refreshments were appreciated!
The a la carte restaurants were good and the buffets had plenty to choose from and we seemed to eat way too much as always!
The lobby bar was my favorite, as the pool bar seemed to always be so busy and you could wait an eternity for a drink, depending on which bartenders were working....nothing worse that waiting patiently and then someone steps up and is served before you!!! So glad I learned from TA to take large insulated mugs, as they came in handy for when we spen time down on the beach.
I think the best thing about this hotel is the swimmable beach! We loved being able to get in the ocean and did so just about every day!
Finding a lounger around the pool was a challenge (most reserved by 7am), but we didn't mind being a bit further away from the pool where we could also find some shade.
Another big plus was seeing whales! What an absolute thrill!!
Accessing both towns was easy and affordable via the corridor buses. Only took a few minutes from the hotel and there bus stops at the entrance.
Another huge plus about this hotel.....no time share people harrassing you. Even the beach venders were not aggresive!
Hoping to return later this year with our kids!

Room Tip: The rooms on the top floors have a high ceiling which make the rooms seem bigger! Do not take an o...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear user: ChrisDCariboo

Thank you, for being a loyal customer to Melia Hotels your perceptions with regards to our services helps us to improve and maintain the level of service that distinguishes the Melia Hotels.

I am at your service for any future requirements as we expect you back at the hotel for your second time and trust to have the opportunity to overcome your expectations with the passion for service that is characteristic of the Melia Hotels.

@ mexperience@meliacaboreal.com

Been to Melia Cabo Real All-Inclusive Beach & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!