“Mostly Good, some not so good, as some GREAT” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Melia Cabo Real All-Inclusive Beach & Golf Resort

You added Melia Cabo Real All-Inclusive Beach & Golf Resort to your Saves list
Melia Cabo Real All-Inclusive Beach & Golf Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Transpeninsular Km 19.5 | Sector 5, San Jose del Cabo 23410, Mexico   |
Special Offer
up to -15% MeliáRewards
Ranked #20 of 37 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Westchester, California, USA
“Mostly Good, some not so good, as some GREAT”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

We have stayed at several all inclusive resorts in several different areas and I'd rate this
one right about in the middle.

Good:

This resort is VERY kid friendly (and, as a person with kids, I consider this a good thing!).
The kids club is nice and they have activities for them like water balloon games, etc. My kids loved staying at this resort, and they had a much better time than at the Riu kids clubs. Someone recently wrote that the pool bar is crowded with kids ordering smoothies which, to me, is better than a bunch of drunken fools ordering more alcohol than they can handle. I will happily wait to get a beer so that a kid can have their little drink and feel grown up.

The staff is nice. Mostly what I had read is true, they are friendly and kind. Not as hard working as the ones we've interacted with at the Jamaican resorts, but good over all. I did get an atitude one night from a front desk staff when inquiring about the "resort credits" (more on that one in a bit).

If you come with a family, there seems to be an abundance of nice, easy to talk to families on the resort. We met several other couples that we enjoyed hanging with and our kids playing with theirs.

Great:

The pool is wonderful. It is large and spacious. There is a beach-style entry and there are stairs,
even a children's pool off to the side (but close to the bar for the parents!). They have a
volleyball net in the pool and a fountain with a high surface that all of the kids like to gather on and play games with. There are also areas of the pool, away from the bar, that are quiet and
secluded. So, no matter what your reason for being at the pool, you will certainly find the right spot. Also, the spa overlooks the ocean which is a nice setting for just relaxing around sunset.

The activities are plentiful. Of the all inclusive resorts we've stayed at, I'd have to say this one ranks up there with it's activities. There is always something fun to participate in. Fernando (I think that's his name) does a great job with facilitating it all. In fact, that guy has so much energy it's ridiculous. He single handidly does a lot....wouldn't be surprised to see him in the kitchen!

The beach is ideal. I read that it's a ways away, a long walk. Not sure how out of shape those people are, but even our kids had no problem with the distance. The view from the beach is beautiful but the waves can get rough. Otherwise, our experience along the beach was a highlight. There are some vendors there but they don't bother you too terribly much. As well, you can talk to the guy at the beach about certain activities and get a better deal. For example, we booked a horseback riding trip thru him for $30/pp for an hour. The travel agent at the resort said it was a two hour minimum and $70. Maybe our better deal was due to there being 9 of us total, not sure. Either way, it was so nice to sit out there on the beach, take in the sun and watch the waves and just enjoy the scenery.

The alcohol was good and not all brands of low quality. If you wanted Cuervo in your margarita, you could ask. They had most major brands to enjoy, including Johnnie Walker. As well, I think I read that they only had Corona on tap. If so, that isn't true. They also serve Negra Modelo.

The general structure and appearance of the hotel were, I'd say, below average overall. The grounds are nice, but the rooms are a bit older as well as the overall architechture. For us, it wasn't a big deal, and actually gave a bit of an "older" Mexico feel. But resorts like the Riu absolutely have nicer rooms. They also do not stock beer and spirits in your room like they do at the Riu. That was a bit of a bummer.

Not so Good:

I would say my only complaints would be two things:
The food. First of all, we ate one night at the Mexican restaurant located below the lobby and the service was absolutely terrible. The food wasn't much better. We literally waited an HOUR to get our salads. Even if this isn't the norm, I would prefer the other a la carte restaurant over this one, the Terrazena, or something like that. We didn't eat at the Japanese place because during our last night they had the Mexican buffet and show. I would say that is something not to miss. The regular buffet was below average, I believe. There weren't a lot of things or variety to choose from and it was mostly lower end food. When we have stayed at the Riu there is usually a highlight food item, like shrimp scampi and even lobster tails one night, at their buffet. This place doesn't do that....not saying that they should, just that their selection and quality isn't as good as we've experienced.

Since I don't have a "bad" or "terrible" section, I will put this here, although it really should stand out on its own. I am not sure if it is a temporary promotion or not, but the "$200 resort credit" appears to be misleading. When I read the offer it stated that you would receive a resort credit for $200 for the spa or golf, etc. Well, it turns out that there were restrictions on those so-called credits that weren't very clear. First, they split the credits up between the spa, an "upgrade or amenities", and golf. This wasn't exactly spelled out during the reservation process. So, you got TWO $25 credits to the spa (which could only be combined if you booked a massage for 80+ minutes), ONE credit for $50 for an "upgrade or amenities", ONE credit for $50 for golf, and ONE credit for $50 for a "romantic dinner". Basically, what these credits do is to drive business to areas that are somewhat slow. We were never offered an "upgrade" at check in even though we paid for ocean view, so we had to use the ameninities offer, which was basically a plate of 6 chocolate strawberries and a miniature bottle of wine. I was hoping to use the credits to get my wife a massage, but it would have cost us a significant additional amount of out of pocket money. One couple whom we were traveling with discovered that they wanted $85 for a mani/pedi for her daughter! So, they didn't use their spa "resort credits" either. I felt a bit put off by this, and it did feel misleading.

OVERALL

I think it was a nice place, great experience and I would possibly recommend it to others, looking for a nice place to vacation to for a reasonable price. However, I am not 100% sold on staying here again, but would consider it as the experience wasn't a complete let down. I did think the pool and the service were the highlights of the whole resort.

As a side:

I would HIGHLY recommend visiting the Crazy Lobster restaurant in the city of CSL. You can take the bus that stops right across the street for $2 a person and it's about a 15 minute ride to the town. The bus was fun and we all enjoyed being on the bus with local. When you get there, as for the Crazy Lobster restaurant. Both the food and the traditional atmosphere are worth it. You can literally get a lobster tail and good steak for $12, or a tail and 6 shrimp. a DELICIOUS meal!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, Guest Experience Manager at Melia Cabo Real All-Inclusive Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, July 12, 2012
Dear:LovedaCaribbean2920

It gives us great pleasure to know that you had wonderful experiences during your stay at Melia Cabo Real, your perceptions with regards to our services helps us to improve and maintain the level of service that distinguishes the Melia Hotels, we appreciate that you have given the task of dedicating part of your time to share your experiences with other travelers through this media and most important that you have done it with such a detail.

I am at your service for any future requirements as we expect you back at the hotel and trust to have the opportunity to overcome your expectations with the passion for service that is characteristic of the Melia Hotels.

Guest Experience Manager.
@ mexperience@meliacaboreal.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (454)
Moncks Corner, South Carolina, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

The staff at the resort was very accommodating. The concierge, Jose, was great, as well as Melina, Adrianna, all of the bartenders, and waitresses, especially, Anna. While the grounds of the resort were well kept, the hotel itself had a lot to be desired, and the website is very misleading.

The elevator was not working and we were on the top floor. After inquiring, we found out that it had not been working for two weeks, so the week we were there made week three. Because of this, we had to relocate two of our people to the ground floor. Room service was very disappointing, because we expected all inclusive to be "all inclusive" - not a 10.00 surcharge every time you ordered it. As far as a view, ours was of a construction site. As everyone else seems to agree, the beds were very uncomfortable.

Also, all of the bars at the resort were out of light beer by lunch time EVERY day ???????????? They also did not carry the same brand of liquor at every bar. If you drink a certain brand of scotch lets say, they may have it at the lobby bar, but not at any of the other bars. Regardless of what the website says, there were only two restaurants open and they alternated nights. One of the main restaurants featured on the website wasn't open at all. The food was good however, even on the buffet.

They claim this to be one of the only resorts with a safe beach - the only way it is safe is to stay off of it. The sand is mixed with rock so there is no walking on it without something on your feet. And if you wade out into the water to about your knees, the tide pulls you out and towards the rocks.

Also on the website, it appeared to me that the golf courses were on the resort - NOT ! I did see one across the street.

All of the above things, the staff could not control. They did their best. All of these things can only be corrected by the owner of the resort itself. Out of all the places I've traveled, Jamaica, Dominican Republic, Costa Rica, etc... this was the absolute worst and most disappointing. No worries about me ever returning. I took 11 people and spent thousands of dollars, if it wasn't for the staff, the entire trip would have been a complete loss.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
, Guest Experience Manager at Melia Cabo Real All-Inclusive Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, July 9, 2012
Dear :MichelleC

We appreciate that you have given the task of dedicating part of your time to share your comments with other travelers through this media.

We thank you for trusting us and for your insights that helps us improve our customer service day after day , we regret that your stay did not turn out as you hoped it would due to the different points you mention in your review , if you send a email to mexperience@meliacaboreal.com we will respond to your comments as soon as possible.

Regards.

Bloomfield, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

I spent countless hours trying to find a great place to stay in Cabo and could not have been happier with the decision to go to Melia Cabo Real! The grounds at this hotel are immaculate - one of the cleanest that I have seen (up there with The Ritz). The staff is out of this world (I have never seen a group of people so caring, kind,HARD WORKING and friendly). They do whatever they have to to make your experience worthwhile, comfortable and enjoyable. The all inclusive is well worth it.

The food was good at La Palapa but I would recommend making it to conceirge early enough to get reservations for one of the A La Carte Restaurants to mix it up. In terms of drinks, ask for it to be strong if that is what you want because they will make sure to do it.

I stayed in both a ocean front and an ocean view room. If you can afford it, go for the ocean front just for the experience - it is GREAT. The views of the grounds and ocean are out of this world.

There is only a small part of the beach that is swimmable because the Pacific Ocean is pretty rough so obey the signs and be very careful. Do take a stroll along the beach, you can walk all the way down for miles if you want, it is safe and absolutely beautiful.

We bought the horseback riding excursion ($40 each) and the Glass Bottom Boat excursion ($30 each). We got free transportation back and forth for both. We did horseback riding in San Jose and the Glass Bottom Boat in Cabo so that we could see both areas - it was great. One tip is spend the whole day in Cabo if you can (i.e. leave on the 9:30AM bus and return on the 5:30PM), this will ensure that you get to enjoy a little "party" since the hotel area is pretty calm and peaceful and not wild in any way.

I am definitely going back and real soon too, and I have already gotten a number of my friends excited about taking a trip to Melia Cabo Real!!!!!

Room Tip: Go ocean front if you can. Ask to be on the side where the Hilton is - construction is going on on...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear: Rachel W

It gives us great pleasure to know that you had great experiences during your stay at Melia Cabo Real, your perceptions with regards to our services helps us to improve and maintain the level of service that distinguishes the Melia Hotels.

I am at your service for your near vacation with friends to come. Please send me a email for the opportunity to overcome your expectations with the passion for service that is characteristic of the Melia Hotels.

Burnaby B.C.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

We spent the last week of June at the MCR and had a great stay. The service there was excellent.
I really believe the staff and management really put their hearts into making their guests have a great experience there. They were all friendly, most spoke English or spoke it well enough. I don't think tips were expected but were very appreciated.
We stayed in a ground floor regular room that was very bright and cheerful. The beds were rather hard but a mattress pad we requested took the edge off and we slept well. I think the television was in need of an upgrade but I could live with it. The rooms were kept clean at all times and someone came around every night to make sure we had enough clean towels.

Overall the food was really good. The buffet didn't have a huge selection but what was there was of good quality. On one of the nights they had a Mexican BBQ with Mexican style entertainment. Both the food and entertainment were excellent. We ate at the two a la cartes that were available and the meals were some of the best I've ever had at an all inclusive.
The bar service at the swim up bar was superb. My only gripe here was that a lot of the guests brought their kids up to the bar for smoothies so you had to wait a long time for a drink because of all the kids. This section should be for adults only and maybe the resort should consider providing a facility for kids to go to for refreshments. Some of the guests should teach their kids some manners. One mother completely ignored the hot tub rules by allowing her underage son to eat French fries in the tub.
The beach was a great place to go to cool off in the 90 degree heat. There were some comments about the water being cold but after a minute in the water it was hardly cold at all. For those who complain about the sand you should remember that it is desert sand you're walkin on when you are walking to the beach. The people who rent out the jet skis should tell their staff and customers to give the swinmers some space. There is an accident waiting to happen there. I don't believe they are part of the hotel.
The Melia is a very good resort all around and I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed June 2012
Dear: leftytelecaster9

We appreciate that you have given the task of dedicating part of your time to share your experiences with other travelers through this media and that you have done it with such a detail.

Regarding the activities offered by the beach, your comment is assertive they are not part of the hotel services and we will suggest your limited area recommendation.

I am at your service for your future vacation with and trust to have the opportunity to overcome your expectations with the passion for service that is characteristic of the Melia Hotels.

bbface79
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

Melia always does a great job with all their resorts. The Melia in Cabo is beautiful. The best part is the beautiful weather! No humidity = no mosquitoes. Great resort for couples, you will have a wonderful time! We enjoyed the glass bottom boat excursion. You take a ride on a speed boat and view the beautiful rocks and beaches filled with seals, birds, and crabs.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
, at Melia Cabo Real All-Inclusive Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, July 9, 2012
Dear: bbface79

We appreciate that you have given the task of dedicating part of your time to share your experiences with other travelers through this media. It gives us great pleasure to know that you had Great experiences during your stay at Melia Cabo Real, your perceptions with regards to our services helps us to improve and maintain the level of service that distinguishes the Melia Hotels,

Daly City, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

First when we come into the lobby the staff welcomed us with fresh lemondae which just put a smile on my face right away....the staff are so friendly and so kind they remember you and remember what room number you are in they don't expect tip but they truly deserve it...they love seeing you happy nothing else matters they just want to please you all the staff are friendly and like omg everything about this hotel I love even the people who are visiting as well are very friendly me and my husband met a couple Marni and Mike really nice wish we could have stayed a little longer to hang out....but we will definitely be back next year around this time with friends and my daughter......JUNE 2012 is a good time to go dont worry about booking activities online they have it for you right at the hotel Miguel is really nice and friendly look for him if you want some good deals on activities.....Just amazing everything about this place is beautiful its PARADISE!!!!!! Go visit because we are coming back and making this an annual trip!!!! Go say hi to Alnufo, Eduardo, everyone

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear:KATEYM

It gives us great pleasure to know that you had wonderful experiences during your stay at Melia Cabo Real, your perceptions with regards to our services helps us to improve and maintain the level of service that distinguishes the Melia Hotels, we appreciate that you have given the task of dedicating part of your time to share your experiences with other travelers through this media.

The personnel you mention in your comments will be congratulated for making you live the Melia Experience.

I am at your service for your future vacation with your family and trust to have the opportunity to overcome your expectations with the passion for service that is characteristic of the Melia Hotels.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

All the workers there were very friendly and did whatever they could to make our stay enjoyable. Beautiful views of ocean. All inclusive is definitely the way to go, we didn't have to worry about exchanging our money for pesos or finding someplace to eat. The resort doesn't look as nice from the road but once you enter it looks very beautiful and the pool area is spectacular. Our only complaint was that there was a lot of construction going on right outside our room on the golf course which was very noisy, but we understand that this is something the resort can't control. We were very impressed with the staff at melia cabo real, they provided excellent service! Would recommend to anyone staying in the Los Cabos area!

• Stayed June 2012
Dear, JenniLinn

we thank you for trusting us and for your insights that will helps us improve our customer service day after day , we regret that your stay did not turn out as you hoped it would due to the noise from our neighbor resort .

We appreciate that you have given the task of dedicating part of sharing your comments with other travelers through this media,

Regards.

Guest Experience Manager.
@
mexperience@meliacaboreal.com

Been to Melia Cabo Real All-Inclusive Beach & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!