“Stunning hotel, great atmosphere!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of One & Only Palmilla Resort

Save Saved
You added One & Only Palmilla Resort to your Saves list
One & Only Palmilla Resort
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Km 7.5 Carr. Transpeninsular, San Jose del Cabo 23400, Mexico   |
Special Offer
Stay 4 Nights, Pay for 3
Ranked #5 of 39 hotels in San Jose del Cabo
“Stunning hotel, great atmosphere!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for a week in April & really enjoyed ourselves. The villas are beautiful, I loved the view: sparkling blue sea poking through thick greenery. You could always hear the waves splashing which is really calming. Service was great everywhere but we were specially impressed with the pool area where you are given a 'pool pack' with some refreshing sprays and ice. They also walk around offering ice towels, sorbets, nuts, polishing your sunglasses and best of all foot & leg massages. The food was best at breakfast and suviche - being vegetarians Asian food suited us best so we went back. The resort is quite big so naturally it is located far from anything outside it. To be finest I didn't really think much of Cabo outside of our hotel. The stay was lovely, the resort buzzing (great for celeb spotting), the staff friendly (we were given a choice of afternoon snacks on a daily basis including nuts, olives & crackers) and the villa was lush (I have never seen such a beautiful bathroom & dressing area!). Thank you One & Only for a lovely stay!

• Stayed April 2012
BCVevolve, Manager at One & Only Palmilla Resort, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

You’ve painted a lovely picture of life here at One&Only Palmilla, and for that, we thank you. It sounds as though you had a delightfully relaxing visit last April, which begs the question: Same time this year? As you noted, the little things set our hotel apart, from the poolside massages, to the constant, soothing sounds of crashing waves. We’d love for you to once again enjoy these pleasures, and to discover what else makes One&Only unlike any other hotel in the world. If you’d like any assistance planning a trip, please don’t hesitate to let us know.

828 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
Southern california
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

We have travelled to the Palmilla many times, both as a couple and with the kids, staying in rooms categories from the lowest to the deluxe ocean front. The Palmilla is consistently excellent in almost every detail. The lowest price rooms are amazing and it just gets better each category you go up. We have had one room that was small and only had a queen bed. The resort was full that weekend and they wouldn't move us somewhere else. At other times we have always had a wonderful room. We have used the American Express Platinum deal a couple of times and that usually gets us a better rate and some amenities. It also seems like the hotel treats you with a little more respect than if you use one of the online services but we use those sometimes too, pending the prices available. There is one building that borders the "family" pool and it can be louder in that location but with very small children it is also very convenient. The rooms are always beautifully decorated in a traditional old Mexico style. The beds are very comfortable, baths large and stocked with huge fluffy towels and all the bells and whistles. There is also a butler covering each building that will help you with anything you need, we usually just need our door opened when we forget the key! When we go, we prefer the older, low buildings in the middle of the resort or the nicer rooms on the south end. We have friends who love the taller buildings on the north end the best so I guess it's all personal preference for room choice.
Our kids love the Palmilla! The pool is fun with a little "lounging" area complete with bubble jets, a shallow "beach," and a size that's big enough to have fun but manageable. We have never had trouble finding good seats, any time of day, no putting your towels out at 7:00 am. The rocky beach provides fun places to explore and ocean waves though sometimes the waves are too big for some. There are also hammocks, lounge chairs and bar service at the beach for the big kids! Sometimes there is a kids eat free deal that is fantastic. After their third root beer float of the day, they were believers! Without the free food, be warned, feeding the family can get very pricey and drinks are also very high. The adult pool is on the other side of the resort and has a very different feel. A little bit of a scene, usually some "hollywood" types, some New Yorkers and various others, making for fun people watching. We have seen some B list celebrities, but never the real biggies! Again, chairs are plentiful, drinks are expensive. They do have a sign up for a free foot massage every day. It's pretty decadent sipping a cold beverage, looking over the waves and having someone massage your feet!
Outside of the hotel there are some good restaurants just a few minutes away and you can walk far down the beach in either direction and look at the incredible beachside houses. The surfing beach is not too far up the road for surfers or if you want to take a lesson. It is about 30 minutes into actual Cabo San Lucas if you are looking for night life. You will need to take a cab or rent a car. The hotel also has some fancy cars they will drive you around in but be prepared to pay a steep price for that. The restaurants at the resort are good but very expensive. The breakfast is OK, not fantastic, and is served in the Mexican restaurant. There are three bars, one at the adult pool, on at the fancy restaurant and another that serves the family pool and the more casual Mexican restaurant. We particularly love this one, it has the most amazing chandelier and a very cool look. The fancy restaurant "C" has a very city, nightclub vibe. It's cool but not very Mexican. The food is good and they have a sushi area that my husband likes.
All in all, we love the Palmilla, especially when we take the kids, it just a great escapes and total treat!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for reviewing your family’s most recent stay at One&Only Palmilla. We’re honored to have you as repeat guests, and we can only hope that each visit improves upon the last. There are so many wonderful features mentioned in your review, including our child- and adult-friendly facilities. We’ve made it our goal to provide a welcoming, comfortable, and luxurious environment for guests of all ages, from 3 to 103! We’re confident that a future visit will reveal even more to love, and, of course, all of the comforts you’ve already grown to love. If you’d like assistance planning a trip, we would be more than happy to help.
Santa Monica, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

One and only makes you feel like you are the only guest at their resort.
Incredible service - friendly, knowledgeable, helpful staff
Food-Michelin rated restaurant. Every meal was memorable
Amenities and activities-cooking classes, tequila tasting were all top notch
Great large room with patio overlooking ocean

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
BCVevolve, Manager at One & Only Palmilla Resort, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for reviewing your stay at One&Only Palmilla. We are honored that you chose to spend your vacation with us, and we’re delighted to know that you enjoyed your time here. We make it our mission to show guests the time of their life, from arrival to departure, and take great pride in everything you mentioned: the service, cuisine, activities, rooms, and views. We hope you can return soon so that you can discover even more of what makes our little slice of paradise so special.
tampa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

While it is a very long flight w layovers from Tampa and I kept thinking WHY aren't we headed to the Caribbean? It was SO WORTH IT.This place is really special, from the airport pick up, to the tray of popsicles waiting at check in, to the view, the beautifully decorated rooms and the occasional A list celebs wandering around and don't get me started on Carlos our butler. Yes, a butler. You never saw him but somehow he was always there. Did he live in the bushes outside our room? I' ll never know. He brought my husbands sneakers back from the gym before my husband even realized he left them there. When the sun goes down at the pool he brought us blankets! I wanted to bring him home with us.The level of service here was not to be believed. Yes, it is pricey, but if you can swing it get there at least once!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

We’re so glad you made the trip from Tampa. As you found, the delights that await at One&Only Palmilla are more than worth the flight. We sincerely appreciate your kind words, and we will be sure to pass your compliments along to Carlos. We hope to see you again soon so that we can raise the bar even higher. If there’s anything we can do to help plan a visit, don’t hesitate to let us know.
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

First let me say I scoured all the reviews on tripadvisor before I booked my vacation here. I knew going in it was to be expensive BUT well worth it. I decided to come on my Anniversary in October. The timing could not have been better. The resort was pretty much empty...it felt like we had the place to ourselves! We also brought our daughter, age 6 with us because we knew they had a complimentary kids club. She LOVED going there and was always sad to leave everytime I picked her up! They gave her toys to take home, a backpack, a hat, cards and one day she even made a pinata!

I highly recommend booking the car service to pick you up at the airport. For those who have never been to Cabo the airport can be a zoo and there are many people there that will lie to you and scam you so be careful! Seeing the hotel rep from Palmilla holding a sign and ready to whisk us away was a huge relief and piece of mind. Plus riding in the big hummer is a plus! Just a nice way to start off your vacation :)

Once we arrived we were greeted warmly with big smiles and yummy popsicles! There is no check in lines they grab your bags and even pull out an umbrella for shade and guide you straight to your room! We were lucky enough to get a free upgrade to a suite! The room was simply breathtaking...huge soaking tub, beautiful bed, sitting area, patio and little surprises everywhere including a children size bathrobe and slippers for my daughter, cookies and milk for her as well and a welcome note with chocolates for our Anniversary!

The pools are all just gorgeous overlooking the Sea of Cortez. We loved the family pool the best and surprisingly it was a lot more quieter than the adult pool! I did, however, enjoy the adult pool one day just for the free foot massages...it was heaven! Do yourself a favor and order the chips & guac it was by far the best I have ever tasted...guac is super chunky and chips are homemade and come out warm! Pool service at both pools are top notch. Every morning I went to the same chair and before you know it they had it set up for me before I even got to the pool...it's the little things they pride themselves on.

The spa is not to be missed. It is very pricey BUT i managed to snag a special they had for the evening which worked out for me because i prefer to get a massage before bed anyway! Go early and enjoy all the amenities like outdoor showers, lounge areas by the garden and healthy snacks. I enjoyed my workouts every morning at the gym...wish it opened a a bit earlier for early risers like myself.

There are some little tips if you are doing Palmilla on a budget:
-Book thru the specials they offer online...some offer one free night, free breakfast etc. and book early!
-Eat breakfast inside your room and take advantage of the free nespresso machine!
-Try not to order drinks or keep it to one at dinner...i noticed if you have a normal lunch or dinner without alcohol it's not that costly. The drinks add up...I believe it's like $15-20 for one cocktail!
-Eat lunch at the pool they give you free bottle water as opposed to a restaurant where you have to buy a bottle.

The service here is bar none...I love that you are greeted from everyone at the valet to even the gardener with a hand over their heart. We looked forward to the turndown service every night....they dim your lights, light aromatherapy candles, close your blinds, lay out your robe and slippers, decorate your bed with flowers and leave you chocolates it was such a treat to come back to. Sometimes they did come a bit late like 8pm...so if you are early sleepers call to request an earlier time. No request is ever denied! Take advantage of the beauty of Palmilla at night. I heard it takes someone an hour to light the 2,000 plus candles at night! The resort glows and the smell is something i'll never forget. Walk up to the church it's so beautiful.

We were here for 4 days and it seemed like the perfect amount of time. Mind you we only flew from San Diego so we were close to begin with. We never had to leave the resort and did not want to. We are not rich people but every year we will manage to make it here somehow. We are already planning our return trip back here for our Anniversary again in October!

Out of all the many highlights we experienced the one that warmed my heart the most happened as we were leaving. The hummer pulls up and they load our bags in the car. I buckle up my seat belt feeling very sad to leave and as I look up and out the window I see about 10-15 of the staff members waving goodbye. In the mist of getting in the car they somehow managed to all gather up and wish us a warm departure. I will never forget the feeling it gave me...priceless.

Thank you Palmilla for making our trip so rememorable we will be back!

-The Apanovich Family

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

We cannot thank you enough for choosing to spend your four-day anniversary getaway at One&Only Palmilla. Your thorough review was a delight to read, and future travelers will surely appreciate the effort you put into it. It warms our hearts to know that your daughter enjoyed her time here as well, as we make it a priority to show little ones a truly magical time. Though we work here every day, your vivid descriptions have caused us to see familiar things in a new light—and encouraged us to continue raising the bar of excellence. If you find yourself craving poolside chips and guacamole, or a relaxing evening spa treatment, you know whom to call. We look forward to seeing you again soon. If there’s anything we can do to assist with planning a visit, just let us know.
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

We traveled the second week of December 2012 and got to see the resort decorated for the holidays making it even more impressive at night than usual. Prior to this, we last visited One&Only Palmilla in October of 2010. While we enjoyed this visit very much, there were a few differences we noticed that I hope aren't permanent. While it was very hot and humid in October, mid-December was breezy and in the mid to upper 70's which felt cool at times. However, the whales are beautiful and make everything seem ok. Warning: you will get used the service, some of the best anywhere, and you will miss it when you get home.

Check-in: Once we overcame the minor inconvenience of Mexican Immigration not knowing what flight numbers were coming in that day (speaking Spanish was very helpful), and security wanting to search our bags (who is smuggling contraband IN to Mexico?), it was smooth sailing. Pickup was a breeze, the hotel was expecting us and in fact, we were greeted by the same person who had greeted us more than 2 years prior. We skipped the tour since we were familiar, but we of course partook in the popsicles and tequila once we got to the room.

Room: On our last visit, we stayed in a Beachfront Jr. Suite on the first floor of building 11 with a large terrace. This time we were in a Beachfront Pool Casita Jr. Suite in building 22 (Casa Sirena) very convenient to the adult pool, with a smaller terrace and small private infinity pool. When we walked in, I said, "is there a party?". They had decorated the room with balloons and a birthday cake which we hadn't even mentioned or asked for. It was amazing, and it is for reasons like that I can overlook things like Slipper-Gate (read further). The rooms here are truly some of the most unassuming and beautiful I have ever stayed in. The Mexican furnishings and design influence gives local flavor without the kitsch. The bathroom in this room was very slightly smaller than the other. The closet was considerably smaller which necessitated our bags being on racks in the hallway the whole week, but it wasn't a problem. It's nice having the separate living area and the view was gorgeous. Breakfast on the terrace every morning is the best way to start the day that I can think of, and ring the telescope, you will see wales December-March. Housekeeping was very good, quickly replenishing used toiletry items. One evening we came back from dinner to find that they had made up the sofa bed which we weren't using, but they returned to put everything back to it's natural state. One SMALL annoyance: EVERY night we had men's slippers on one side of the bed and women's on the other. While thoughtful, it's a bit off putting with 2 men staying in the room. It's interesting that the two most highly rated properties I have stayed at (Palmilla and Auberge du Soleil) both commit this albeit forgivable sin. Attention to detail.... Side note, I wish the pools were a little warmer. They said ours was 86 degrees but there was no way.

Spa: The second stop after dropping our bags in the room. As with the rooms, the spa is one of the most gorgeous I have ever seen or used. The facilities, craftsmanship, design and service are all above and beyond. We had a massage together in one of the Oceanside palapas. A great massage and very relaxing, but I think this time of year they should not schedule them after 4pm. It was quite windy and chilly; borderline cold in fact. All of our treatments however were very, very good, and they even gave me a little birthday present, though my birthday was almost 2 weeks prior. Very nice!

Room Service: Probably the highest quality room service food and most efficient service anywhere I've been. The French Toast is to die for. Frankly, it's quite reasonably priced for what you get as well. We always felt like we could skip lunch and settled for a small midday snack. Typically ceviche and tacos by the pool.

Resort Food: The last time we were here, we were absolutely blown away by the variety and quality of the food; across the board. From Jean-Georges to room service, there was not a missed opportunity to impress your palette. This time, I would say that Agua was a low point. The menu was what you would expect; an inventive merging of Mediterranean flavor and Mexican flair, but somehow, it fell flat. It's harder to digest the prices when you aren't as impressed. To be fair, it wasn't bad, it just wasn't as good as we remembered. Market was very good, but the prices on their wines are CRAZY. I think it is the first time I have ever said, "You know, I just can't bring myself to do it." Examples are a 1,200 dollar bottle of Opus One we can get for 250 in the states, and a bottle of Layer Cake (which I wouldn't drink at home) for 90+ dollars (I think usually around 18 in the States). We had to assume there is an incredible amount of import duty on the wine, otherwise someone has just gotten carried away. Most things were 400-600% markup from U.S. retail. The sushi at Suviche was very good, and we even shared a toast with our sushi chef. Kampai!

Check-out: Smooth, but there was some confusion about our package that lead to a lengthy process and line by line examination of the bill I would have rather avoided. Everyone was perfectly friendly, I just find that process unpleasant. We had bought the package through Conde Nast Traveler, and it was quite inclusive which I think lead to the complications. In fact, it was so good, I wish I could get the package again.

Notes: I am far from an avid golfer, but we did go and play the Ocean Course which was quite lovely and not terribly difficult for a beginner. The hotel will set up just about anything you could ever want or need to do. We found everything very easy, as would be expected. We also had the pleasure of meeting Peter Bowling, Managing Director of the resort, twice; once on his own and once escorting his lovely wife for dinner. He speaks to everyone and seems genuinely excited to be at the helm of such a storied, respected resort. After an amazing job launching Capella Pedregal (home of our favorite local dining spot, Farallon at Capella), I'm sure he'll do great things at Palmilla.

Tips: Don't sweat the money, you'll leave thinking it was worth it (except for the wine). All of the rooms are beautiful with a view of the sea, but if you can, stay on the beach, you're on vacation. Bring about half the clothes you think you'll need. The dressiest place is Market and it's resort/dressy casual. Spend some time at Agua Bar and try some amazing tequila you can't get at home (sip it, it's delicious). Finally, I'd recommend running all of your requests, however big or small, through the butler service. That really seems to minimize crossed wires and lots of people knocking on your door.

Bottom line: a fairy-tale resort, truly deserving of its accolades, but not without very minor hiccups.

Room Tip: Get the best you can afford, but I'm sure all rooms are lovely.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

On behalf of the entire staff at One&Only Palmillia, we’d like to thank you for your review. We know it takes time to craft a detailed account of a visit, and we sincerely appreciate your efforts. Feedback from guests is vital in helping us maintain our consistently high level of service.

We’re happy to know that you were able to return to the resort after your initial visit two years prior. We always hope to build upon return visits, revealing something new and surprising each time. It is our hope that you found even more reasons to love One&Only during your time here in mid-Decemeber. It is, indeed, a magical time to visit, with the holiday décor lighting up the property at night.

It sounds as though you had a wonderful visit, from your massages in the Oceanside palapas, to French toast and whale watching from the comfort of your room. We regret to learn that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, however. Rest assured we have taken your feedback to heart and will do our best to make the necessary changes. The slipper issue, in particular, is something we can fix with ease, and so we thank you for bringing it to our attention.

We hope to see you again soon. If you’d like assistance planning a future visit, you know where to find us. Day or night, we’ll be ready to help.
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

This is the best place we've stayed over Christmas and New Years by far. (others include Carlisle Bay, Caneel Bay, Tides Zihuatenajo, Paraiso Bonita, etc)

Setting/location---beautiful on the Sea of Cortez with AMAZING landscaping----gorgeous plants everywhere, very lush. We've eaten at Las Ventanas and it is a much more austere vibe. There is one swimming beach---the others are walking beaches. Whales can be spotted from the pools/beach almost every day in Dec---always exciting. There are 2 pools-adult and kids pools---and both are lovely and the pool guys are great. They come and clean sunglasses, offer foot massage, yogurt snacks, chocolate popsicles, cold water---the works. Minimal steps, which is good for us---but I do wish they'd add a rail to the steps for Market.....dangerous!

Rooms----very spacious, overlooking the sea or pools, nicely appointed
Food---great---we loved both Agua and Market and Suviche is a nice change of pace
HOLIDAY festivities---2 managers cocktail parties this year which were both fun---1 with horses! Santa arrives by boat on Christmas, and GREAT NEW YEARS party fireworks!

SERVICE---beyond fabulous. 2 stories---we were here last year and my husband had to go to hospital in middle of night. Rodrigo from the hotel offered to come with me and he stayed with me all night while we waited. My husband was released in the morning and Rodrigo arranged our return to resort---I really don't know what I would have done without him. HE OFFERED---I Didn't ask---he was a lifesaver. (My husband is fine)
I went to the spa this year---which is fabulous and I thought I had a massage that evening. They kept checking and since I am here with 7 other family members, I thought there was just a name mix up. I got my massage and when I returned to the room, I realized I CAME ON THE WRONG DAY! And they still took care of me! I went back and apologized and asked why they didn't just tell me, and they said they wanted me to have a good experience so they found someone available! Where else would that happen? All the staff is EXTRAORDINARY and that is one of the things that makes this place so special.

Weather---for us, we like this weather--if you want hot hot hot, this may not be your place---it's been in the 70s most of the week, the evenings cool down to the 60s---some days it only gets to low 70s, but that works for us.

Would love if they added some more rails by the stairs...and a few complained that the mattress was too hard or lumpy, maybe new mattress pads? (it was fine for me!) Love the aromatherapy choices at night!
Can't recommend this place enough---it is fabulous!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
BCVevolve, Manager at One & Only Palmilla Resort, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

We sincerely appreciate that you took the time to review your stay, as guest feedback is vital in helping us maintain a consistently high level of service. The holiday season at One&Only Palmilla is a magical time, and we’re so glad you and your family were able to experience it. You’ve detailed some of our very favorite features and activities, and we’re so glad that you enjoyed them just as much as we do. From the location, to the food, to the service, it sounds as though you received the full One&Only treatment. We will be sure to pass your compliments along to Rodrigo— and rest assured, your suggestions, including the staircase railings around the property, have been taken into consideration, in fact, we are in the process of designing an appropriate one for the stairs going up to Market Restaurant that will be installed by the end of this month. We hope to see you and yours here again soon. If you need anything at all, just let us know.

Been to One & Only Palmilla Resort? Share your experiences!