“As good as it gets” 5 of 5 stars
Review of One & Only Palmilla Resort

Save Saved
You added One & Only Palmilla Resort to your Saves list
One & Only Palmilla Resort
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Km 7.5 Carr. Transpeninsular, San Jose del Cabo 23400, Mexico   |
Special Offer
Stay 4 Nights, Pay for 3
Ranked #6 of 39 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Indianapolis, Indiana
“As good as it gets”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

This is the best place we've stayed over Christmas and New Years by far. (others include Carlisle Bay, Caneel Bay, Tides Zihuatenajo, Paraiso Bonita, etc)

Setting/location---beautiful on the Sea of Cortez with AMAZING landscaping----gorgeous plants everywhere, very lush. We've eaten at Las Ventanas and it is a much more austere vibe. There is one swimming beach---the others are walking beaches. Whales can be spotted from the pools/beach almost every day in Dec---always exciting. There are 2 pools-adult and kids pools---and both are lovely and the pool guys are great. They come and clean sunglasses, offer foot massage, yogurt snacks, chocolate popsicles, cold water---the works. Minimal steps, which is good for us---but I do wish they'd add a rail to the steps for Market.....dangerous!

Rooms----very spacious, overlooking the sea or pools, nicely appointed
Food---great---we loved both Agua and Market and Suviche is a nice change of pace
HOLIDAY festivities---2 managers cocktail parties this year which were both fun---1 with horses! Santa arrives by boat on Christmas, and GREAT NEW YEARS party fireworks!

SERVICE---beyond fabulous. 2 stories---we were here last year and my husband had to go to hospital in middle of night. Rodrigo from the hotel offered to come with me and he stayed with me all night while we waited. My husband was released in the morning and Rodrigo arranged our return to resort---I really don't know what I would have done without him. HE OFFERED---I Didn't ask---he was a lifesaver. (My husband is fine)
I went to the spa this year---which is fabulous and I thought I had a massage that evening. They kept checking and since I am here with 7 other family members, I thought there was just a name mix up. I got my massage and when I returned to the room, I realized I CAME ON THE WRONG DAY! And they still took care of me! I went back and apologized and asked why they didn't just tell me, and they said they wanted me to have a good experience so they found someone available! Where else would that happen? All the staff is EXTRAORDINARY and that is one of the things that makes this place so special.

Weather---for us, we like this weather--if you want hot hot hot, this may not be your place---it's been in the 70s most of the week, the evenings cool down to the 60s---some days it only gets to low 70s, but that works for us.

Would love if they added some more rails by the stairs...and a few complained that the mattress was too hard or lumpy, maybe new mattress pads? (it was fine for me!) Love the aromatherapy choices at night!
Can't recommend this place enough---it is fabulous!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
BCVevolve, Manager at One & Only Palmilla Resort, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

We sincerely appreciate that you took the time to review your stay, as guest feedback is vital in helping us maintain a consistently high level of service. The holiday season at One&Only Palmilla is a magical time, and we’re so glad you and your family were able to experience it. You’ve detailed some of our very favorite features and activities, and we’re so glad that you enjoyed them just as much as we do. From the location, to the food, to the service, it sounds as though you received the full One&Only treatment. We will be sure to pass your compliments along to Rodrigo— and rest assured, your suggestions, including the staircase railings around the property, have been taken into consideration, in fact, we are in the process of designing an appropriate one for the stairs going up to Market Restaurant that will be installed by the end of this month. We hope to see you and yours here again soon. If you need anything at all, just let us know.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

we had five nights of complete bliss at the palmilla and it wasnt near enough. if you need/want a pampered vaca this is the place for you. you'll leave feeling happy and refreshed without needing to leave the resort.
To Start:
arrive and be greeted by a host of beautifully costumed (indigenous) employees who will guide you to a covered area and hand you a margarita. at this time you're introduced to your personal butler who will attend to your every need during your stay. he/she will escort you to your little slice of paradise. enjoy your welcome tequilla with freshly sliced limes, and take in the view from your beautiful patio overlooking the sea of cortez.
During the day:
explore the beautiful grounds. we found the family pool to very relaxing even though we are middle aged and don't mind children, there was not one in sight. employees walk around offering you cool towels, cold water and a refreshing spritzer for your face.did i mention the rolled towels for your head and feet? and always being offered fresh ones. i fell asleep one day at the pool on a cloudy day and woke up with a soft blanket covering me! really? wow. ok. having a pina colada and a snack poolside will make you realize soon just how good this is going to be. try to spend one day on the beach in a striped cabana.
The spa:
i had the signature 90 minute massage, it was wonderful. arrive 30 min or more earlier to enjoy the relaxing plunge pool, the sights and sounds. and ohhhhhhh the wonderful aromatherapy. you'll most likely just float back to your room.
The restaurants:
breakfast at agua in the morning was always a treat, although room service on your balcony couldnt be more relaxing. the food was delicious, and every kind of fresh squeezed juice. we stayed with local fare and couldnt have been happier. dinners at "C" were fabulous and preferred over sushi restaurant. the prices are on the high side, but come on, youre at the OOpalmilla, are you going to stay here and skimp on food?
Turn down service:
evening truffles, your choice of aromatherapy in a burner with a votive,your nightly snack and spa like music is what you return to. the fresh fruit of your choice will also be delivered and placed on your coffee table. just a suggestion: work out your turndown service with your butler ahead of time. a couple of times we walked in on them and the other way around. a quick word with our butler took care of it. also, for privacy, make sure the little button by the door is turned on while in your room.
Private dinner:
yes, they will arrange this or anything else you desire! our birthday girls birthday dinner was on the beach one night. we arrived at the beach on the most gorgeous evening. waves crashing, 80 degree weather and a candle lit path. the table was illuminated by dozens of candles of all shapes and sizes. the food was delectable.
The end.
this is the sad part. i wanted it to go on forever, but what would i be left wanting for??? the palmilla is worth every dollar you pay so enjoy your stay! someday i will return.

Room Tip: i dont believe there is a bad room choice.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at One&Only Palmilla. We’ve found that no matter the length of a guest’s visit, it never quite feels like enough time. The only solution that we’ve found is to keep coming back. Blissful indulgences, like the ones that you experienced—spa treatments, beachfront dinners, and poolside lounging—await. It is our goal to make each visit better than the last, and we’re confident you’ll discover something new to love about One&Only. Until your return, we will keep everything just as you like it. If you need anything at all, don’t hesitate to let us know. We’re happy to help, day or night.
Pacific Palisades, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

I went here on a trip with my boyfriend. Our first together and we really enjoyed ourselves! The resort itself is impeccable. Very clean, larger than most five star hotels in Cabo, but I enjoyed walking the grounds to get around. There was always a staff member close by to help us with anything that we needed. We did not layout by the pool, but rather chose to spend our days on the beach under the cabanas reading, talking and sipping on drinks.

We dined at the hotel for every meal and ordered appetizers to the beach. We felt that all the food was amazing, but the Mexican fare was the best. Not to put down the sushi, but you couldn't do better than the ceviche, guac and chips.

We didn't use the spa, but went in one day to get a treatment on my hair and the staff was wonderful!

We are both well seasoned travelers and would come back again!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
BCVevolve, Manager at One & Only Palmilla Resort, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at One&Only Palmilla. We’re delighted to hear that you and your boyfriend enjoyed your time on property. You simply cannot beat a few days spent poolside with drinks, good books, and good company. And as you found, when night falls, dining options abound. We’re glad that you took full advantage of our fabulous restaurants. We look forward to hosting you again in the future. If you’d like assistance planning a return visit, just let us know; we’re happy to help.
Conroe, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

We have had the privilege of staying and the One and Only Palmilla 8 times and each visit gets better and better. This last visit was for our son's wedding and it was truly magical. I can't express in words how each detail was so perfect. We were all given the best treatment by the staff and management during the entire stay. Our rooms were absolutely beautiful each perfectly located. The resort was completely decorated for Christmas with the most gorgeous lights that were picture perfect. The ceremony itself was on site at the chapel...and I must say it was a dream come true fairy tale! This was all coordinated and arranged by a dear manager named Betty. All the details were more than expected....from the morning of the wedding till the night of the reception. It was so hard to leave the next day as we enjoyed ourselves more than ever. We are already planning another trip to this magical resort in March! All worth every dollar!!!!!

Room Tip: Patio suites and pool suites are lovely!
Dear Valued Guest,

We are honored that you’ve chosen One&Only Palmilla time and time again, and we can only hope that each visit continues to improve upon the last. We’d like to extend a warm thank you for hosting your son’s wedding at our resort. As you found, our little slice of paradise takes on a new level of beauty during the holidays. Your time here sounds like it truly was a “fairy tale.” It’s great to hear that you’ve already planned a return trip in March. If you need anything at all, don’t hesitate to let us know. We’re look forward to your arrival!
san francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

I recently got back from a 7 night stay at the Palmilla for my honeymoon and can't speak highly enough about it. Going into the trip, I knew that it was expensive and was ready to spend the money.
To start - every part of the service you receive is unlike any place I have ever visited. I have been fortunate enough to stay at four season resorts as well as ritz's but this service at the Palmilla is head and shoulders above everything else. I don't feel that "no" is in their vocabulary. From the ease of check in where you are given a tour of the property to the hummer service that took my wife and i from the airport, it was the easiest process I have been through.
The room is spectacular with ocean views, large decks, a bathroom that is almost as big as the room itself.
The Butler service can handle any request, from popcorn delivered if we are watching a movie, to the evening snacks delivered, everything you can hope for is available. David was great.
My wife and I both chose to stay that adult only pool all day and loved every minute of it. The chairs all come with head and foot rests. The poolside foot massages (free!) are incredible and the service is impeccable. Alejandro, who we got to know very well poolside, provided us with a level of service and attention (without being over bearing) was amazing.
We ate at all 3 restaurants and it is on par with any high end meal we have here in San Francisco. The wait staff is fully accommodating and the food is unreal. Our favorite was Agua (two dinners and one breakfast).
Finally the prices. Yes, it is expensive. But the prices seem comparable to any four seasons. Poolside margaritas or pina coladas cost in the $12-15 range. While the named cocktails are $20+ (i.e. makers, bombay etc), it is what we were expecting. When looking at lunch, yes a meal for two with no drinks will cost $75+. If you are looking to eat on a budget, take a cab to cabo.

Great stay, amazing service, we will be back.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

We are delighted to hear that you and your wife enjoyed your honeymoon at One&Only Palmilla. We can’t thank you enough for choosing to spend such a special time with us. You’re absolutely right about “no” not being in our vocabulary; we make it our mission to provide anything our guests desire at a moment’s notice. From start to finish, it sounds as though you experienced the best that we have to offer, be it a poolside massage or beachfront dinner. We will be sure to pass your kind words along to David and Alejandro, who, along with the rest of the staff, eagerly anticipate your next visit. If there’s anything we can do to help plan a return trip, don’t hesitate to let us know.
Cedarburg, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

Ok now that I've got your attention, yes the place is exceptionally nice but it better be at these prices. Complaint # 1, Our suite was positioned poorly. Our room looked semi-directly into our neighbors suite and as luck would have it; our neighbor was some big fat guy who, how shall say it, had no modesty. So here my wife and I sit in this fabulous ocean view room with the drapes drawn. Complaint #2 The beach area is unsuitable for water activity. The size of waves,the water current and the rocks made it impossible to swim in the ocean. Any parents that are bringing little ones please be careful. I suggest you keep looking.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
BCVevolve, Manager at One & Only Palmilla Resort, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay earlier this year at One&Only Palmilla. We know you have many options in the area, and we appreciate that you and your wife chose to spend your vacation with us. It is our hope that all guests have a flawless experience from start to finish. In a situation like the one you described, we would encourage you to contact management so that we can take the necessary actions to improve your stay. Though parts of the beach on property are not suitable for swimming, our pools and nearby beaches offer plenty of options for water activities. Ultimately, we hope the positive aspects of your trip outweighed the negatives, and that you’ll choose One&Only Palmilla again in the future.
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

Am actually writing this review while on site. Coming over from London pre-holidays in Los Angeles, this was definitely a greatly anticipated stopover. First off, I think the actual resort is breathtaking, the rooms are spacious, and this is really and ideal location overlooking the sea. My issue here is that, when you are staying at an already $$$$ resort ~500+ a night, do you really need to have every last hard earned dollar forcibly extracted from you. Just a snapshot of what I've experienced so far: A simple lunch for two adults, two kids (sharing one bowl of pasta with cheese) no wine/beverages, two salads and 1 bowl of chips = $85. Breakfast, again two kids sharing pancakes, one english breakfast, one continental breakfast = $110. I forgot my shaving kit (remember when those were sent over free?) $15. Vodka tonic $30.... the list goes on and on, it truly feels that wherever we turn, there is someone very happy to help, but only for services that go right onto an already bulging bill. Final complaint, they bake in the 15% gratuity in every charge, and then they have the audacity to put a line for add'l gratuity. Let's be clear, if you are taking that service charge right off the top, leave out that line.... seriously find that classless. Long story short, this is a superb facility, but you know what, once you shell out for a premium room/amentities, don't gouge your clients, be reasonable, we know you are making a solid profit without the $8 cup of luke warm coffee. I will seriously think twice about booking a One-and-Only resort in the future, knowing they treat their clients/patrons as a cash machine.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
BCVevolve, Manager at One & Only Palmilla Resort, responded to this review, December 23, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

We appreciate the time you took to review your family’s recent stay as part of your friend’s wedding at One&Only Palmilla. We’re so glad you enjoyed the spacious rooms and breathtaking scenery. However, we do understand that a visit to One&Only comes with a price. We do our best to be upfront about the expenses associated with a stay and do all we can to make these costs as transparent as possible. Moreover, we’re committed to providing the absolute best in service and amenities, so that guests leave feeling like we’ve delivered on the promise of value. For example, we now offer a wonderful breakfast buffet selection at both restaurants Agua and Market offering fresh baked pastries and homemade breads, seasonal fruit, cereal and yogurt you can also add to the base price cold meats and smoke salmon and for a complete breakfast there is the option of adding an egg course of your choice from the regular menu; for all these, price per guests is no more than 35.00 USD. As you can see our culinary options are immense and we regret to learn that your experience did not deliver on your expectations. If there is anything we can do to make things right, please let us know. We hope you’ll consider One&Only properties in the future, as we’re confident you’ll enjoy a fully satisfying experience, from arrival to departure.

Been to One & Only Palmilla Resort? Share your experiences!