“5 Star, just not "One and Only"” 5 of 5 stars
Review of One & Only Palmilla Resort

Save Saved
You added One & Only Palmilla Resort to your Saves list
One & Only Palmilla Resort
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Km 7.5 Carr. Transpeninsular, San Jose del Cabo 23400, Mexico   |
Special Offer
Stay 4 Nights, Pay for 3
Ranked #5 of 39 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
New York City, New York
“5 Star, just not "One and Only"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

By all means it was a 5 star resort. But we expected a little more being a One and Only. Which I think is a little bit of a misnomer as many of the hotels both in Cabo (Capella, Las Ventanas) and elsewhere (particularly the Capella Ixtapa which can be had for much cheaper) were on par if not closer to that "6 star" experience that you expect from One and Only.

The Good:
ALL of the food was spectacular. We ate at every restaurant on property, trying different plates each time and particularly loved Agua (ate there 3x). While pricey, the value is absolutely there, given the high quality

The foot massages by the pool and the overall pool service over-delivered on the One and Only expectations we had.

Recommend the VIP airport service on the return trip - One and Only staff pretty much guide you through check-in, security (handling the bins; telling you what to take off/leave in bags/and escorting you to the VIP lounge). A no brainer for $25

The Not As Good:
Again, take this all with a grain of salt. The place was absolutely beautiful and 5 star - just at this level, I think people appreciate the constructive feedback.

The rooms were terrific - just not worth the $800-1200 regular rate, but at $500, absolutely. We recommend a room on the 2nd floor if booking a standard level room as the high ceilings are much more desirable than our friend's room on the ground level. Seems like if you can afford it, definitely book the suites with the private pool as their view over the beach is much more dramatic than our views of the family pool, which were somewhat obstructed by the many palm trees.

Bring your own golf clubs. The rental sets are very old and worn out. Course was beautiful and well maintained, but for the $300 greens fees, you'd expect a better rental set.

Housekeeping was a little iffy. Some glasses and dishes were not removed for several shifts. Butler service is overrated. You call and get transferred a couple times as if it were a regular front desk.

Definitely very family oriented. Granted we traveled during Thanksgiving week, but I imagine with one whole side of the resort dedicated to a family pool/etc, you can expect families most of the time.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
BCVevolve, Manager at One & Only Palmilla Resort, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for writing such a thorough assessment of your family’s recent Thanksgiving stay. You’re absolutely right about constructive feedback; it’s crucial in helping us continually improve our services and amenities. You’re also right to expect nothing but the best from One&Only, and we regret to learn that there were a few shortcomings during your visit. However, your feedback will no doubt prove valuable to future travelers. We’re delighted to know that the food, particularly at Agua, not only impressed, but was “spectacular.” If you find yourself daydreaming about poolside massages and moonlit dinners, you know where to find us. We can’t wait to host you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
Princeton, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

The One & Only is one of the first hotels you pass when coming in from SJD airport. It is in Palmilla which is a very upscale residential area with Golf Club and dining terraced on a small hillside along the Sea of Cortez. The grounds are large and offer a very nice path through Palm trees and lit with hanging lights. This is a very appealing part of the property. The Old Mission on site offers a very Romantic backdrop ay Sunset hours and the staff are very friendly. They all greet you with a closed fist pressed flatly against their heart. Im told it is an old Mexican tradition that means .."THEY WELCOME YOU INTO THEIR HEART" It was a nice touch. The Jean Georges Restaurant is world Class.

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at One&Only Palmilla. As you found, we not only welcome guests onto our property, but also into our hearts. The warm hello is a good indication of what’s to come, and we can only hope you took advantage of everything the resort has to offer. We’d love to host you again soon, so if you’d like any help planning a return visit, don’t hesitate to get in touch.
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

I recently just returned from a 10 day Honeymoon in Cabo. My husband and I spent our first 5 day at Las Ventanas (LV) and our last five days at the One & Only (OO). Honestly, we wish we would have never left LV When you stand these two side by side there is no comparison - LV far exceeds OO in almost every way.

If you are looking for more of a "family" experience with children then the OO is your place. If you are looking for an escape (romantic or alone) from the world then there truly is no better place than LV. So enough about LV...this was our experience while at OO - I'll start with the Cons and end with the Pros -

CONS -

1) Check in - they seemed a little scrambled with the check-in process. My father had purchased us quite a few things from the OO Honeymoon Registry which were supposed to be transferred to our account as a credit when we arrived. They knew nothing of this and had no idea what I was talking about. The woman at the front desk kept asking if I had proof - and I had to explain to her that all I have is a log-in to the OO website and that it was showing a credit to the account almost a week prior. She them gave me an email address and asked that I please send a screenshot or some kind of proof to the head of weddings - which I ended up doing; but honestly - I am at your resort (not inexpensive mind you) for my Honeymoon and all of this should have been taken care of in advance not having me worry and run around once we have arrived.

2) Room view wasn't really worth the extra cost - We paid extra for a junior suite with a beach view. Honestly, it was just meh.....it wasn't like you could walk onto the beach or anything. Honestly, all of the views are beautiful...I wouldn't pay extra for beach view. We were also on the bottom level of the rooms and heard pipes (showers and toilet flushing) all the time. Not something you expect at a resort you pay $800+ a night for. Also the last two nights they put a family with two very young kids next to us. Add in the thin walls and two screaming kids (which happened to wake up around 6am every morning)...kinda a bummer to the end of our Honeymoon! The hotel knew we were on our Honeymoon...you think they would think about that before putting a young family next to two Honeymooners.

3) The adults pool was quite a bit crazier than we expected. Completely night and day from LV (I hate to keep comparing but it is REALLY hard not too!) The food was just okay - my husband ordered a burger medium it came out burnt and charred. I recommend going to one of the restaurants over eating at the pool. Seats are very hard to come by....we learned that after the first day. Need to go down and get your chairs before 10am, early if you can.

4) The service was just mediocure. After coming from LV it was like going from a 5 star property to a 2 star. The only staff highlight was our two butlers who honestly were great! The front desk staff were kinda rude and abrupt. We booked a rate that was for stay three nights get one free - we stayed five; so one ended up being free. We were also told by AMEX (we have a platinum) that we would get comp continental breakfast, free round of golf, and spa certificates. We re-confirmed this when we checked in BUT when we checked out there was all of the breakfast charges. We spoke to the front desk who then denied it and told us that we couldn't use the promotion and our AMEX fine resorts amenities couldn't be used!?!? Don't get how the story changed...but no matter...we are working with AMEX on it now.

5) I am a big massage and spa snob - we had a couples treatment done which was probably one of the worst massages I have ever had...the masseuses just seemed to be going through the movements and were making lots of noise moving around the room and grabbing stuff out of counters and closets. I had been begging my now husband for a couples massage for forever - unfortunate that our first one was just so-so.

PROS

1) The Market Restaurant - AMAZING!!!! My husband is a HUGE foodie and we ate twice here. The food was some of the most delicious we have ever had anywhere! I highly recommend the duck with jordan almonds and the corn souffle....but everything is amazing!

2) Our butlers were great...so personable and willing to go way above and beyond. They always paid attention to the details and honestly were the highlight of our stay.

3) It was really nice to have a beach we could swim on which is the only thing LV was lacking. We also took advantage of a full day fishing charter which departed from the north beach - SO MUCH FUN!!!!

4) Landscaping and scenery - the hotel itself is stunning - no doubt. You feel like you are in a tropical island - absolutely breathtaking!

5) The moonlight table at Agua is a MUST!!! You have to reserve far in advance though...highly recommend!

Overall, if we went to Cabo again we would definitely be staying at LV over OO. It just doesn't have the details and level of service as LV...and in my opinion wasn't worth the price. We would however come back to eat at Market & Agua.

Room Tip: not worth spending the extra money for beachfront
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your candid and thorough assessment of your time at One&Only Palmilla. We would also like to thank you and your husband for choosing our hotel for the second half of your honeymoon. We love hosting newlyweds, and we do everything in our power to ensure your first few days as husband and wife are spent in total bliss.

While it sounds as though you had many positive experiences here on property, from intimate moonlight dining at Agua to a beautiful day out on the open ocean, we regret to learn of your overall dissatisfaction. We pride ourselves on our exemplary service, and judging by your feedback, we did not meet our usual high standards. There is simply no excuse for rushed, scattered interactions, not to mention billing inconsistencies. We encourage you to reach out to us directly so that we can better understand these shortcomings—and more importantly, prevent them from occurring again. We hope you’ll consider staying with us again, as we’d another chance to show you what makes One&Only Palmilla truly special.
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

My husband and I recently returned from an October 27-30th stay at the One and Only Palmilla. The airport pickup went smoothly, as did the check in process. The property is very beautiful during the day, and breathtaking at night due to the unique and romantic lighting all around the resort. I have a dietary restriction due to an allergy and prior to our arrival I contacted the resort to give them plenty of advanced notice and make sure it would not be a problem for it to be accomodated. It is a stressful thing for me to have to worry about while traveling, plus I think it is only fair not to surprise a resort with a request of that sort. They assured me it wouldn't be a problem and even put me in touch with one of the chefs who again reiterated everything would be taken care of, everyone would be notified, and not to worry. Upon arrival however both our butler and the first restaurant we went to had no idea what I was talking about (had not been informed and had no idea exactly what the restriction was when it was described to them). I spoke to the concierge and to their credit, within 20 minutes one of their chefs and a restaurant manager came and cleared things up. After that, things went much more smoothly. I can definitely see why so many people love this resort. That being said, I didn't really see anything that made it far and away better than any other luxury resort we have been to (and in fact, some of the others did things a lot better).

Some of the negatives: The food amenities in our room which were supposed to be replenished daily were not and dirty dishes were not taken away (which attracted bugs). The pool staff were hit or miss. I am pretty self sufficient and have no problem going to the restaurant myself to get what I want, but if you are the kind of person who wants to be paid attention to after you get your initial ice bucket, this may annoy you. We returned to our room one night to find a package from the boutique on the foyer table (with a paid receipt with our name and room number on it). The problem? We did not order anything. Then that same night the airconditioner in our room was very noisy, which was no big deal, but on that night the noise got so bad I opened the door to see what was going on. I was greeted with a unit the was covered in unraveling duct tape that dropped a large chunk of ice on the ground into an already formed puddle. We called for maintanance and they sent someone quickly, which was good. However, it was late and I was exhausted and the maintanace guys were in our room for over an hour and a half. As the guys were working there was a knock on the door and the butler was there to deliver yet another boutique item I did not request (with again, my name and room number). The only other thing I would have liked to have seen would be the option for more active water pursuits at the hotel itself (stand up paddlboarding, kayaking, etc). As it stands now, these things are available, but only off property through other companies.

Now for the good: the chefs and restaurant staffs (after the initial mix up) were phenomenal. Chef Alex at Market and Suviche was very nice and helpful (as was the pastry chef). Chef Alexis at Agua went WAY above and beyond what I would have ever expected. He not only made up separate menus, but offered additional off the menu suggestions as well. For our anniversary he made a special five course menu incorporating my restrictions (which is not an easy feat). It was creative, delicious and very much appreciated. The workout room was nice and well staffed, and the spa was relaxing and lovely. The room was very nice, the grounds are beautiful, the food was delicious, and the pool was very clean and scenic. Additionally, as part of the airport transportation back to the airport it was nice having a resort employee come in to help expedite the check in process.

All in all it was a very nice trip. Will we be back? Perhaps. Our experience could very well have been a fluke, and so many people rave about it that I would be willing to give it another try. That being said, I didn't see anything to struck me as something that could not easily be found at any other high end luxury resort.

Room Tip: End rooms have additional windows for light and a more panoramic view from the balcony.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
BCVevolve, Manager at One & Only Palmilla Resort, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

On behalf of the entire staff here at One&Only Palmilla, we’d like to thank you for reviewing your recent stay. Detailed feedback like yours is truly invaluable, as it helps us continually improve our services and facilities.

We appreciate that you reached out prior to your visit to alert us of your dietary restriction, and we apologize that your dining experience was not more seamless. However, it sounds as though our talented team of chefs were able to save the day with perfectly tailored menus. We truly hope that you enjoyed the Vegan Vanilla Ice Cream that was specially prepared by our Pastry Chef. We can assure you that a return visit will be free of such hiccups and filled with even more world-class cuisine.

Rest assured, all of the issues that you’ve identified have been taken into consideration. Your suggestion for more “active water pursuits” is a great one, as is your tip about our end rooms offering a “more panoramic view.” The water activities are already a work in progress and we will start with it very soon—we hope that you can experience them next time you stay at One&Only Palmilla. We’re confident that you’ll enjoy the same memorable experience that so many others have talked and written about. Please let us know if there’s any way we can help coordinate a visit.
new york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

This was my wife and my first trip to Palmilla. Similar to other reviews, we were very impressed as the property is spectacular. The panaramic views of the ocean are incredible and the grounds are equally postcard beautiful. Starting with our arrival, we had opted for the hotels private shuttle. Coming through Mexican customs, it was a bit chaotic with every local person trying to offer you a ride. It was nice to see someone holding a One and Only sign so we knew where to go. The 20 min ride is $140 one way (vs $35 for a regular cab) but we felt it was worth it to get out of the chaotic airport quickly and safely, and also just a nice way to start the trip. FYI on the return trip to the airport we took a regular cab which was totally fine. We checked in to an ocean view junior terrace which is a great room. My wife loved the large soaking tub. The terrace and patio had a daybed and sun chairs, plus a dining table for 2. Amazing views of the water and beach. If you really want to upgrade, some of the beach front rooms have their own pools which looked nice. Otherwise i didnt see any benefits of higher priced rooms. The butler service was great they immediately have complimentary tequila in your room which is a fun touch. They also will help you with anything you need - food, drinks, ours even helped us chase a baby iguana out of the room one night! The beach is great and very scenic, but the only downside is there is no swimming allowed except further down away from the hotel due to strong rip tide and rocks. The pools are great we stayed at the adult only infinity pool every day. We didn't have to come down early and fight for seats which is nice. There are plenty of prime spots. Note of caution we did see 2 people slip as they got into the pool the tile floor is slippery. Poolside service is great very similar to a 4 Seasons (constant refresh of ice water, sunglass cleaning, fruit shots, foot massages). We ate lunch at the poolside cafe which has amazing views. The guacamole, fish tacos and tuna burger were our favorites. For dinner, we ate at Agua at a moonlight table, which there are only a few outside facing the water. Great view so recommend advance reservation. Steak was pretty good. Appetizers were tiny and just ok. We also did Market which we liked the best of the restaurants. Truffle pizza was great appetizer. For breakfast we did both market and Agua. I was hoping for a nice buffet like the 4 Seasons but surprised they didn't have it. That being said the menu had some a la carte options for omelettes which were quite good. Consistent theme on food was ridiculous prices. In that context, the food was pretty good but not worth the price. Considering what you pay to come here, I would have hoped not to need to spend another $100+ on breakfast for 2, $125 on lunch, and $250 on dinner. We can spend less in NYC for better food. The one night we left the hotel and went out for dinner in San Jose we went to Mi Casa which we didn't enjoy. Felt like a cheesy tourist trap in Disney Epcot instead of Mexico. I'm sure there are better local spots if we looked around more, but we were enjoying the hotel and didn't feel like venturing around too much. For activities, I played golf one day which was great. Nice course with great views. Only downside was my rental clubs were beat up pretty bad they are due for new ones. My wife hit the spa which she loved, but again I'll note prices as $350 for a massage is rough. The gym was very nice. Beyond the beach scenery, the consistent strength of the property is the outstanding service, from the folks who greet you getting out of the cab to the pool attendants and bartenders to the landscapers, everyone is super friendly and ready to help you with anything you can want. At night they put candles all over the resort, including in your room and patio areas, which makes for great setting. Check out the chapel at night it's beautiful. Overall this is truly an amazing vacation destination. Go in knowing you will spend ridiculously on food and activities, but putting that aside you will be hard pressed to find anything to complain about.

Dear Valued Guest,

Your review was a pleasure to read, and we can’t thank you enough for taking the time to share it with the Trip Advisor community. We are happy to hear that your first visit to One&Only Palmilla was a resounding success. In addition to offering quality feedback, you provide some great, insider advice to prospective travelers, including transportation and dining options. We’re thrilled that you were able to take advantage of facilities like the golf course and spa. We know that many of these activities and services come at a price, but we do everything in our power to ensure that they’re worth every penny. We hope to see you and your wife again soon. With your first visit under your belt, a return visit is bound to be filled with nothing but the best.
Andover, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

My husband and I went to the One & only for our anniversary trip. It was amazing! We had wanted to stay here for awhile, so we knew it was nice, but they met every expectation and more! The grounds are so lush and beautiful, nothing else in Cabo like it! The property is also immaculant! The staff was so friendly and so professional! The pools were fabulous, they had a beautiful adult only pool which was very nice!
We have stayed in many 5 star resorts, but this place is incredible! Our suite was wonderful, the perfect place to spend 4 nights!! The butler for our room was so friendly and accommodating, he met every need we had! We felt like we were leaving old friends when we left!!

Room Tip: We had a Jr Suite on the north side of the resort, pretty shaded, but that was nice after being at t...
Dear Valued Guest,

We are honored that you and your husband chose to spend your anniversary at One&Only Palmilla. And we cannot thank you enough for taking the time to write a review of your experience. Exceeding expectations is precisely what we aim to do for each and every guest. Moreover, we take pride in offering the world’s finest service, from personal butlers to poolside attendants. We hope you’ll join us again soon—perhaps for next year’s anniversary as well? If you’d like assistance planning a return trip, just let us know.
Las Vegas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We had our second visit to this plush and wonderful resort at the tip of Baja California. We arrived 1 day before Hurricane Paul hit the coastline and were a little concerned about the weather.

The staff made us feel completely at ease and we could not of felt more safe even when the phones, cell and internet went down.

The staff was working during the storm and shortly after it passed, the place was back together and you would have never known the storm had just went through the area.

The hotel and staff were gracious and attended to all of our needs.

The food is overpriced but you were well taken care of. The spa staff were over the top friendly and the exercise staff made the stay fantastic.

Could not of had a better place to stay while in Cabo.

Room Tip: Not a bad room in the hotel area. Great views from all the restuarant areas and pools.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
BCVevolve, Manager at One & Only Palmilla Resort, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

What an interesting time to be on property! We thank you for your patience and understanding during the inclement weather. We would also like to thank you for sharing your thoughts with the Trip Advisor community. Rain or shine, we’re committed to providing the best service in the world. We hope you’ll return to One&Only Palmilla in the near future. We eagerly anticipate the opportunity to raise the bar again on your third visit.

Been to One & Only Palmilla Resort? Share your experiences!