I recently just returned from a 10 day Honeymoon in Cabo. My husband and I spent our first 5 day at Las Ventanas (LV) and our last five days at the One & Only (OO). Honestly, we wish we would have never left LV When you stand these two side by side there is no comparison - LV far exceeds OO in almost every way.
If you are looking for more of a "family" experience with children then the OO is your place. If you are looking for an escape (romantic or alone) from the world then there truly is no better place than LV. So enough about LV...this was our experience while at OO - I'll start with the Cons and end with the Pros -
1) Check in - they seemed a little scrambled with the check-in process. My father had purchased us quite a few things from the OO Honeymoon Registry which were supposed to be transferred to our account as a credit when we arrived. They knew nothing of this and had no idea what I was talking about. The woman at the front desk kept asking if I had proof - and I had to explain to her that all I have is a log-in to the OO website and that it was showing a credit to the account almost a week prior. She them gave me an email address and asked that I please send a screenshot or some kind of proof to the head of weddings - which I ended up doing; but honestly - I am at your resort (not inexpensive mind you) for my Honeymoon and all of this should have been taken care of in advance not having me worry and run around once we have arrived.
2) Room view wasn't really worth the extra cost - We paid extra for a junior suite with a beach view. Honestly, it was just meh.....it wasn't like you could walk onto the beach or anything. Honestly, all of the views are beautiful...I wouldn't pay extra for beach view. We were also on the bottom level of the rooms and heard pipes (showers and toilet flushing) all the time. Not something you expect at a resort you pay $800+ a night for. Also the last two nights they put a family with two very young kids next to us. Add in the thin walls and two screaming kids (which happened to wake up around 6am every morning)...kinda a bummer to the end of our Honeymoon! The hotel knew we were on our Honeymoon...you think they would think about that before putting a young family next to two Honeymooners.
3) The adults pool was quite a bit crazier than we expected. Completely night and day from LV (I hate to keep comparing but it is REALLY hard not too!) The food was just okay - my husband ordered a burger medium it came out burnt and charred. I recommend going to one of the restaurants over eating at the pool. Seats are very hard to come by....we learned that after the first day. Need to go down and get your chairs before 10am, early if you can.
4) The service was just mediocure. After coming from LV it was like going from a 5 star property to a 2 star. The only staff highlight was our two butlers who honestly were great! The front desk staff were kinda rude and abrupt. We booked a rate that was for stay three nights get one free - we stayed five; so one ended up being free. We were also told by AMEX (we have a platinum) that we would get comp continental breakfast, free round of golf, and spa certificates. We re-confirmed this when we checked in BUT when we checked out there was all of the breakfast charges. We spoke to the front desk who then denied it and told us that we couldn't use the promotion and our AMEX fine resorts amenities couldn't be used!?!? Don't get how the story changed...but no matter...we are working with AMEX on it now.
5) I am a big massage and spa snob - we had a couples treatment done which was probably one of the worst massages I have ever had...the masseuses just seemed to be going through the movements and were making lots of noise moving around the room and grabbing stuff out of counters and closets. I had been begging my now husband for a couples massage for forever - unfortunate that our first one was just so-so.
1) The Market Restaurant - AMAZING!!!! My husband is a HUGE foodie and we ate twice here. The food was some of the most delicious we have ever had anywhere! I highly recommend the duck with jordan almonds and the corn souffle....but everything is amazing!
2) Our butlers were great...so personable and willing to go way above and beyond. They always paid attention to the details and honestly were the highlight of our stay.
3) It was really nice to have a beach we could swim on which is the only thing LV was lacking. We also took advantage of a full day fishing charter which departed from the north beach - SO MUCH FUN!!!!
4) Landscaping and scenery - the hotel itself is stunning - no doubt. You feel like you are in a tropical island - absolutely breathtaking!
5) The moonlight table at Agua is a MUST!!! You have to reserve far in advance though...highly recommend!
Overall, if we went to Cabo again we would definitely be staying at LV over OO. It just doesn't have the details and level of service as LV...and in my opinion wasn't worth the price. We would however come back to eat at Market & Agua.