“Family Friendly, Well Maintained, Excellent Service” 5 of 5 stars

Posada Real Los Cabos
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Malecon San Jose S/N, San Jose del Cabo 23400, Mexico   |
Ranked #27 of 37 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
ILLINOIS
“Family Friendly, Well Maintained, Excellent Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2007

This was our third trip to the Cabo area and we have always stayed in San Jose del Cabo. It is much more quiet and many of the stores are within walking distance. If you go to Cabo to party, stay in Los Cabos, not in San Jose. This is more family friendly.

We usually rented a condo, but this time we decided to do an all inclusive and reserved it directly by calling the Best Western 800 number. The Posada Real is a low-rise built in the 1980's, and one of the first in the area. The service was outstanding, the food very good, well cooked, and very plentiful. The pool was clean and the grounds were well maintained. We had no problem with anything or anyone.

We thanked the hotel staff for their friendly service and wrote in their tourist book, "just as the ocean waves greet the shore, we will return and greet Cabo once again".

• Liked — Outstanding Service, Well Maintained, Great View
  • Disliked — All OK - No Problems
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
Austin, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2007

We are travel agents and won 2 R/T tickets to Cabo at a Travel Agent conference. Wanting to make the trip as inexpensive as possible we booked ourselves into the Posada Real Best Western (after reading the reviews) knowing we were not going to a 5 star resort but expecting a decent place to stay. We were very dissappointed! We can't imagine how the Posada Real comes out with a 3.5-4 star rating?

We no sooner checked in and went to the lobby bar for a "cool one". We sat and waited (the desk clerk could clearly see us) and waited & waited. Finally I went and asked and was told the inside bar did not open until 5:00 pm but the pool bar was open. OK. We took our things to the room which was VERY hot as you have to leave one of your room keys in the (inside room) slot or ALL electricty to the room is shut off. Thank goodness we had insisted on 2 keys after being given only one. We changed and headed to the pool while the room cooled down. On the way to the pool I mentioned to the desk clerk the little fridge in the room was not working. He told me that cost $4.00 USD extra per day.

We went to the pool bar and I attempted to order a Dos Equis. They only have Tecate. Ok that is fine. My fiancee' ordered a white wine. The white was palatable while the red wine was ......I'm not sure what but certainly not anything I have ever had before.

True, the pool Taco Bar is by far the best place to eat on the property but it closes at 5:00 pm. Several times we ordered at the pool bar and although the order was written down by the waiter we were not brought what we had ordered. Sevice was slow and very unreliable, despite us tipping. True, Ramon is truly a gentleman and is very friendly but the pool never looked inviting and the hot tub water was a little scary looking.

When we first went to "dine" at the Posada restaurant we found the food to be less than desirable with very little choice of entrees. We had learned to only accept bottled water that was "sealed" but we were told they had no such "ammenity" available at the restaurant, but we could purchase it at a store a short walk from the hotel. We later went down to the beach bar and were graciously given "sealed" bottled water? Our second night at the restaurant found the food down right "impalatable"--more like institutional food, not resort food. My "sweetie" ended up going to bed hungry that night as the Taco Hut was closed at 5:00 and we had no other choices. We joked about this being a good place to go on vacation and lose weight! And this at an "all-inclusive" resort!!!!

One of the previous reviews mentioned the beds were "a bit hard"! They are hard like concrete with very rough textured sheets. The A/C unit in the room was apparently malfunctioning. I know it is hard to find a really "cold spot" in Mexico, but you could later "hang meat" in our room. The A/C had a remote control that would not allow the option to turn it off. Of course if we pulled the card to cut the electricity then we had to sit in the dark with no TV! I called the front desk and they sent a maintenance man to have a look at it but rather than fix it he somehow turned it down and ended up showing me how to physically turn it all the way off if we got to cold???????

Upon awakening the next morning we finally came to our senses. We said "hey, we are travel agents surely we can do better "- besides there was a slip of paper under our door reminding us it was our check-out day. It wasn't, the following day was our check out day. After going to the desk clerk and him assuring me we had the room for the 3rd night we were ready to go and see if we could do any better. He told me we had until 1:00 pm to check out.

We went to The Melia Cabo Real Resort, knowing their reputation and told them we are travel agents and would like to "check out their property". They promptly gave us a rate that was cheaper than Posada Real! Melia was absolutely wonderfull and we had a great time there. A WORLD of difference!!! At the Melia you will find lovely high-thread count sheets, nice decor, a bathroom not moldy, helpful friendly staff and a fridge that had complimentary COLD drinks that are refilled at no charge to you! Truly an all-inclusive resort!

Back to the Posada Real to check out (11:30 am) and we were told we would still have to pay full price for that night!! Arrrrggggg! After speaking to a member of managment we got out with paying only $20.00 to them for "reservation cancellation fee".

At least we were "out of there"!! We could not in good conscious recommend the Posada Real to anyone unless they are basically looking for "three hots :( and a cot" while they are in Cabo. We absolutely loved Cabo, the weather was beautiful, and there are many awesome resorts. We ended up getting a free rental car for three days and $250.00 cash for attending a couple of "timeshare tours". Yes, they are lengthy and but what is a couple of wasted hours for $250.00 cash US dollars :-) The best one was offered to us while shopping at The Mega Supermarket (owned by Target Stores).

We will definitely go back to Cabo many times. . .and recommend it to our clients, but . . .NOT the Posada Real. Best Western should be ashamed of having them in their inventory.

Stayed July 2007
Vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2007

My parents and I stayed here April 15-22. My parents are in their 50's and I'm in my 20's. We didn't get a deal because we booked late and it was still peak season. However, we're really not picky so we were pretty satisfied with the package. Before booking the package I knew Posada Real Los Cabos was in a quiet area next to a small town, the beach was not swimmable unless you walk half a mile towards the Presidente, and a bus ride to the city would be about 20 minutes and cost about 2 bucks. We never did walk down the beach towards the Presidente so I can't tell you if there was a calmer beach there. However everything was pretty much what we expected. We watched movies on TV at night because we weren't interested at leaving the resort at night and there wasn't much to do there after 9 or so. But that was fine by me 'cause I was there to chill out. We walked to town one day and it took about 30 minutes. There's all your regular tourists shops and not much else. We went to the Mega store which is pretty much like Superstore or Zellers except with a liquor shop inside. We went on a timeshare tour which lasted too long but only because we weren't straightforward about not being interested. If we were I'm sure it would've been much shorter and we would've still received our gifts. One of those gifts was a dolphin swim which I went on and was a new experience. I enjoyed the swim but I felt sorry for the dolphins, it was as if they were at work and I don't think they were having much fun. We took a catamaran snorkel tour to Santa Maria (another gift) and the ride was nice if crowded and the snorkel was alright but snorkelling in crowded places is really not the best. We took public transport to Chileno Bay (you have to bravely cross the highway, becareful, may be a worth the taxi ride) and that was a beautiful quiet beach. If the weather had been warmer that day I would have gone snorkelling there but I never got the chance. We had a short visit to Medano Beach but it was really not to our liking, crowded, loud and rowdy. From there we took a glass bottom taxi ride (another gift) to the arch and back. It was worthwhile, we even saw some fish. I went on two outings by myself. One to a surf lesson just up the beach at Costa Azul. It was a real challenge, I didn't stand on the board once but it was my first time. And I also went on a trip to Cabo Pulmo, a protected snorkelling and dive area. It was a really long van ride, if there's ever a next time, I'll take an ATV instead. There I saw beautiful parrot fish, tried to get close to a sealion, and met some nice people. The hotel was a great sanctuary, after a tired day of walking around, hopping on buses or dolphins it was nice to get back to the hotel, get refreshed and relax at the taco bar with some snacks and Chichis. The pool is small but nice for a bit of exercise or just a cool dip. The hottub is not. Service was erratic, it didn't seem to matter who the server was, just some days it was great and some days it wasn't, and we tipped everyday. The have a computer room where you can go online for free for 30 minutes everyday, and it looked like they had wireless internet available in the lobby for the laptop users. We did have two days where the water was cutoff from the rooms for a few hours but this didn't bother us too much. Made two calls back home from our room and it cost about 70 cents per minute, not too bad, although we could've bought a calling card from our travel rep. The buffet food was passable, some days it was even good, and breakfast was always fine. The taco bar should be your first choice for lunch. There are no ala carte restaurants. Well, that was our trip. So if you're looking for a nice quiet place to come to after your outings in and around Los Cabos, the Posada Real is an inexpensive and easy-going choice.

• Liked — It was quiet and I liked the taco bar and chichis.
  • Disliked — The hottub needs some work and the lobby nighttime entertainment could be better.
  • Stayed April 2007
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
washington dc
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2007

After returning home from our 1 week stay here, I regretted not reading reviews on the Posada Real beforehand, since I was extremely dissapointed with our experience. However, after reading some of the reviews here I may have had even greater expectations before going!

First of all let me say this: If you are not an adventurous person, don't have much of an interest in exploring the area around which you are vacationing, don't really care for local food, or better put - don't have tastebuds, perhaps this will be just fine for you.

We met several other couples who had been returning to this resort repeatedly - and I am using the term "resort" here VERY lightly. One of these very people, when we asked if they had any reccomendations on local places to eat, they looked at us confused, and asked, "Why do you want to go eat somewhere else? The food here is great!" I literally could not believe someone would actually consider chicken nuggets, hamburgers, hot dogs, orange chicken (no not the mediocre stuff from your local corner chinese carry - out - that would be asking too much), we are talking literally boiled pieces of chicken swimming in the water it was cooked in with orange wedges thrown in, etc, "great food". Even the literally 2 mexican things on the menu - Quesadillas and Tacos pale in comparison to Taco Bell on its worst day. At that point, we were praying for a Taco Bell - which we both hate!
The food was so bad, we actually walked to the closest grocery store and bought groceries (which were all fresh) and bought groceries for the entire week. The only mean that was edible was breakfast, which consisted of pancakes, sausage, bacon, etc - the usual IHOP fare.

The food definately ruined our experience. One of the waiters was an absolute delight, but his service was quickly undone by one of the unfriendlist bartenders I have ever seen. Also, for people that get sick easily from water etc in foreign countries - beware that all frozen drinks here are obviously made with ice from tap water - they mysterious culprit for many tourists digestive problems.

The beach was fine and quiet, though the pacific here is much too cold, and looking down the coastline you could count on one hand how many people actually braved the frigid waters for a swim in the Ocean.

Another issue was just how far you actually are from the downtown area. It takes about 45 min each way to get to the downtown area on the buses that run there and back. A cab really is about $40 each way - luckily the buses are only about $5.

We are seasoned travelers, with a love for culinary travel - this place left alot to be desired. Basically this place is fine if you just need a place to crash - I have stayed in Hostels that were better.

• Disliked — food
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
Toronto,Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2007

Let's put it this way: If you don't enjoy the simple life, don't go to this hotel, I knew what I was getting when I booked it but it was beyond expectations. The food was well cooked and had sufficient options for a 3.5 * all inclusive hotel.The service was excellent: Aaron, Oliver and Ezequiel were amazing, Aaron is by far the most professional and customer oriented of all.At the pool Ramon is the man, he will make sure you are covered all the time, he is also at the lobby bar at night sometimes along with Victor who is also very good too; during our visit, we also stayed at a 5 star hotel during the day (Playa Grande)and we missed Ramon,so go figure! The rooms were clean and as per the hard beds that other people talk about,well, I myself have one at home, it is better for your spine in case you did not know, but if you are no used to it, then you'll have some issues,I guess. My girlfriend and I did the Time Share tours twice,the 1st one was not bad, but the second one took 5 hours, our friends at the Playa Grande insisted we came with then.We got a few tours for free though. If you are not a good swimmer, don't swim there, it is dangerous,we took the local bus for approx 2 usd and went to beautiful Chileno Beach and Santa Maria/Fe Bay?(15 to 20 min away) The weather was perfect for the whole week, sunny and clear.Yes, there are a lot of birds but use your common sense: don't leave you food unattended, we personally loved the birds.Entertaiment was not the greatest but I knew it, however, we saw a local dancing show and a pianist who comes twice a week,he was very good, I even tried my terrible singing with him! Even though the tips are included, we find that a $1 tip will do the trick. For Aaron and Ramon, I ususally left more, they deserved it. Luis the Bellboy is always smiling and we talked to him a few times, he even invited us to his place but we did not have the time. The pool is decent and clean and it is not too cold, once you are in , it is perfect , ok, I am missing Ramon again! Our maid did a good job.We visited San Jose del Cabo town like three times, we took the local bus for 0.50. We found it very safe place but the night life is at Cabo San Lucas, approx 20 km away (3 usd or so) There is a Mall close by, we found the liquor was reasonable there, it is called Mega and it is 5 to 7 min walking depending on you speed and the people that may stop you for the Time Share tours! Let me also tell you, the orange shrirt people at the Mega all get commission for those Time Share presentations, but like I wrote before, they can work for you for the free tours, you put a refundable $40 deposit at the presentation and you get it back later, you can bargain the tours with those people,we did snorkling ,horse back riding and the Caborey high end tour(check it out at the information desk with Lupita, she is the best there,regular price is $82 usd, I just missed my Cuban cigar or that tour!) Lots of places for souvenirs in both San Lucas an San Jose, but we found that bargaining is beneficial, it also broke my heart the kids and older people selling you their stuff so with them I paid the full price,well, they did not cost me an arm and a leg either. People in the streets will try to sell you silver but i don't think it is real. This hotel will never be a 5 * one, becuase it does not have the entertainment, food variety and options to be a 5* but for the money we paid and the service we got, it was an excellent choice for us, we would go back to Posada Real, but , let me save some money 1st.

Neil and Janet from Toronto, Canada.

• Liked — Not crowded, friendly atmosphere
  • Disliked — Not much entertainme,no bicycle rentals.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
washoual WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2007

My friends and I went to the Posada for 4 nights and it was beautiful. It is a little dated but well maintained. The staff is excellent. The food was very repetive but still alright. The Poolside taco bar was excellent. Urbano the front end manager and luis the bell boy and rahul the bartender in the lobby bar were so attentive and provided excellent service. We all got massages as well one day we were there. There is a open gazebo with massage set up right on the beach which was right there at the hotel (i dont think it is part of the hotel itself and they must rent space there) but it was soo fabulous because you can hear the waves crashing and your on the beachfront. Prices were not bad there were 8 of us so she gave us a discount so we paid like 55.00 for hour and 25.00 for 1/2 hour. Well worth it. Beds were hard as some of the others have said but over all it was very worth it.

• Liked — all inclusive food and drinks and beach front
  • Disliked — walls thin and lots of hallway noise and you only get one room key
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Clagry, Alberta
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2007

We stayed at the Posada Real from April 23,. 2007 to April 28, 2007. I travelled with my husband , his brother and girl friend. We are in our late 30's and early 40's.
Posada is a very quiet resort which is great for relaxing and just soaking up the sun. The resort did not have any activities such as bingo, aerobics, or classes of any kind. If you are looking to stay at a resort that does offer these activities, this is not the one for you... We had to buy our own volley ball at the local shopping mart as the resort did not have one, but they did have a net ! We always go to Puerto Vallarta so this was the first time to Los cabos and we would go back but not to the Posada Real. We have travelled to Mexico several times so we pretty much knew what to expect from a resort so here's the run down...

- The weather was fantastic, sunny and really hot every day!
The resort needs some work and I did see a couple of cock roaches !!

- The resort could have been cleaner but I am pretty picky.
- The buffet was the worst I had been to as of yet so we ate our breakfast there as they had a fresh egg station. We ate fruit for lunch. We went out for supper. We went a couple times to the "Rusty Putter" which is walking distance from the resort. They had good steak and lobster and a mini golf course which was fun.
- The drinks at the resort came fast and Ramone was super nice.
- The pool needed to be cleaned better so forget the hot tub !
- The beach was the best part. It was kept really clean and the water was really warm. You could not swim but you could wade a real ways out before it got deep. The beach and weather made the trip!
- The entertainment consisted of a person playing an electric piano two nights a week. We enjoyed listening to him while we had a couple drinks in the lounge.

A person might want to consider doing a semi inclusive at this resort and try it out that way.

I hope this help..

• Liked — The Beach !!
  • Disliked — Not to clean and food was not so good.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Posada Real Los Cabos? Share your experiences!