“Ok” 4 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Malecon San Jose S/N, San Jose del Cabo 23400, Mexico   |
Ranked #27 of 37 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
“Ok”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2012 via mobile

I spent 2 weeks here. Breakfasts and lunches (at buffet) were good, dinners were terrible. Almost all the staff members were great, a few who need an attitude adjustment. The beds were hard as rock, entertainment was boring, and the "hot tub" was dirty and cold. Drinks were great though, all day service(bar closes at 11pm.........) . I enjoyed my trip but next time posada will not be an option.

• Stayed March 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
Tecumseh ON
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2012

Spent a week in March and had a great time. The beach is fabulous and you can walk forever in both directions. Rooms were dated but very clean on a daily basis......bathrooms could definitely use updating. The service was the best in my many years of visiting Mexico. From the desk down to servers maids etc....outstanding. Was pleasantly surprised at the quality of food at all meals. We fished on 2 days and the Captain at the Posada made us 2 wonderful dinners complete with cerviche apps(mahi-mahi, grouper and snapper). Drinks were good and enjoyed the best tasting wine of any resort we visited in the past years. I believe they were using a Carlo Rossi...mediocre at home but EXCELLENT for Mexican wine.The grounds were kept spotless and the array oc cactus in the yard was quite cool.Greaty value for your money.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2012

I stayed six nights with a friend at Posada Real in the beginning of March. The rooms were clean and fairly basic and they had a TV with cable, although most shows were either in Spanish, dubbed into Spanish, and only a few were in English with Spanish subtitles. That wasn't a problem for me because I speak Spanish, but would be an issue for non-Spanish speakers.

Posada Real is an "all inclusive" resort, although they have various meal plans. We were signed up for the breakfast and drinks meal plan, and I never ate lunch or dinner at the hotel. The breakfast buffet was fairly good, although usually nothing too fancy. There were always fresh fruit juices (the flavors varied from day to day but could be orange, papaya, watermelon, strawberry, pineapple, or honeydew). They also had an omelette bar every day and a rotating selection of breakfast foods such as eggs, potatoes, and sausages. There was french toast every day, as well as fresh fruit and fresh Mexican pastries. The coffee was decent (again, nothing special, but drinkable). I ate there for six days and didn't get tired of the food, which I suppose is a good sign. There were quite a few hotel employees around during breakfast, refilling coffee, taking dirty plates, refilling food, etc. Overall, I was quite pleased with breakfast.

The hotel had a well-maintained cactus garden in the center courtyard area, and a smallish pool next to a cabana bar. I guess it was supposed to be a "swim up" bar but I never saw anyone actually order drinks while in the pool. The pool was in pretty good condition, although the tiles could have used a cleaning. The water temperature was pleasant, and the pool was never crowded. There was a hot tub close to the pool, but it was more like a warm tub - the water was barely warmer than the pool water.

There were enough lounge chairs to go around, although the ones under the palapas were always nabbed first so it was hard to get one in the shade. A guy from the bar would come around one in a while and take drink orders from the people at the beach.The hotel had marked off an area for its guests, and the roving beach vendors had to stay outside that area. The vendors never bothered us while we were there.

The included drinks were average, I would say. They weren't super strong, but they were included so I couldn't complain. Their house beer was Indio brand, which I gather is sort of like the Mexican Budweiser - weak, but not offensive.

We were at the hotel before the spring break crowd descended on Cabo, but I was still surprised by how old most of the hotel clientele was. I'm 31, my friend is 39, and I felt like we were nearly the youngest people there. Most of the guests were at least my parents', if not my grandparents' age. The music they played in the lobby after dinner fit with this age group - it sounded like bad elevator music. There really wasn't much going on after dark at the hotel.

The hotel staff was helpful and generally friendly, but very few of them seemed very happy. Most seemed to hate their job. I felt kind of bad for them, and at times the hotel ambiance seemed kind of depressing because of it.

Overall, the hotel was a decent value for the money, but I probably wouldn't return. It just wasn't my thing.

Room Tip: We were in a room that was not facing the courtyard and got zero wifi signal in the room. I suspect...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Red Deer, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

We stayed for 2 weeks at this little hotel. our kids were with us for 1 week and we were on our own for the second week. We had read all the reviews on this website and knew what to expect. We don't go to Mexico to sit in our room, so we knew it wouldn't be spectacular,but we also expected the service to be excellent..and it was . Alot of these people have worked at this Hotel for a long time, and you could tell that they were proud of their Hotel and their jobs. From the Maintenence Crew to the Maids to the servers to the Front Desk Staff. I'm sure that you could not find better service at a 5+ resort. Thank You to all of the Staff for Making our holiday so so fantastic! And our rep for Westjet Vacations- The juan and only...Juan ! Thank You! We loved San Jose. Being able to walk to everything, Zippers on the beach,the Estuary,Shooters in Town, The Church, The Art night on Thursday. All the people we met from Canada and the States. We will definitely be back!

Room Tip: any room has a great view of the cactus garden and/or ocean.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Boulder, CO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2012

My partner and I stayed at the Posada Real for a week at the end of Feb. After reading many reviews on here, we booked our travel through Bookit.com. As stated in other reviews, the hotel is a bit dated and worn, but kept exceptionally clean. The housekeepers and groundskeepers were always working on cleaning, fixing, or improving something. The room we got was on the 3rd floor with a balcony, and had a nice ocean view on the opposite side of the pool, so it was quiet as well. The room had 2 beds, and we tried them both out. One was rock hard, and the other hard as well, but had a thin foam topper on it. They were tolerable, and a person who loves a firm bed whould be in heaven! My one request of the hotel is that they would buy new pillows. The pillows were all very hard and lumpy. Aside from that, the hotel was just what we wanted. It was small with around 140 rooms, and the level of service was great. Freddy who was helping serve the beach was great. He always had a huge smile on his face, and would go out of his way to help you. Benito and the others were great as well. Ramon at the front desk personally led us to our room with a little tour first, and was always helpful in answering questions. Most of the guests were from Canada and Mexico with some Americans thrown in as well. There were only a few children there, and that was nice. It was a middle aged crowd that made for a relaxing experience. We had all inclusive drinks and food. The drinks were good, and the food for the most part good as well. Breakfast was usually delicious, and had someone to make eggs everyday. Lunch and dinner was buffet style as well, and offered quite a few options. It seemed like each day had a sort of theme. (Asian, American, Pasta). The snack bar at the beach is a great lunch option. Tacos pretty good. One day we had grilled chicken tacos that were delicious. Onion rings were great, and quesadillas as well. The hotel had put-put, a ping pong table, volleyball in the pool, a not so hot hot tub, a mini-gym (weight machine was broken), tennis, a outdoor massage area, and 2 computers with 30 min. of free internet a day. There were many chairs on the beach under and around palapas. Only on the friday we were leaving was it difficult to find a chair. The beaches went on for miles around the hotel. We walked them and looked for seashells. We saw lobsters, puffer fish, flying fish, and diving pelicans. It was a beautiful walk either way. You could walk to the Estero (Bird Estuary) along the beach, which also led to a small swimming beach. You can't swim in the ocean outside the hotel, but wading is okay, and the pool is a great option on a hot day. It is a short walk to the Mega store (similar to a super wal-mart) which is a good option for emergency supplies, snacks, beverages, etc. We had a rental car, so we drove to town, but it would not be a very long walk there.There was entertainment in the lobby each night that was pretty good, and something to do. There were singers, a mariachi band, a casino night, etc. Overall, we loved the hotel, and would return for sure. If you are looking for a nice, quiet, relaxing place...this is the place to go.

Room Tip: We were on the third floor and had a great view of the ocean. If you want a quieter room, stay on th...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Seattle, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012

We just got back from the Posada last week (Feb 2012)..my tan hasn't faded yet! What a wonderful experience. I'd like to thank everyone here on Trip Advisor for their reviews, and for answering all my questions! You are what led us here!
Sure, the hotel is a tad dated, but its sooo clean. The service? Omigosh, you couldn't ask for more. Everyone is friendly and has a smile. Starting with Yamu at the front desk (her big smile and big wave greeted us every morning), Urbana the Front Manager helped us change our room when we werent satisfied with the view. Gabrielle, Angel, Benito, Ismael and Freddy..you all made this a wonderful vacation.
Bookit.com: We booked this trip thru bookit, and included the travel vouchers. Had a bit of a problem with the transportation, via Epic. Epic picked us up at the airport no problem, but left us at the hotel with instructions to meet with their rep at 10 the next morning to validate our return trip. This meeting was only an excuse to see excursions. We faithfully went to the lobby of the hotel at 10 the next day. The Epic guy was a no show.We waited over an hour. The Front Manager, Urbana, said he'd take care of our return trip, and he did. Not so keen on Epic. We wasted valuable beach time and it was a pain.
All Inclusive/Food: Need I say more? Food and drink all freel Food served buffet style, BUT each meal has either eggs to order, fajitas or quesadillas etc..freshly cooked with your choice of veggies, meat , etc.The buffet food was sometimes tepid, not hot. Thats my only complaint. But we dealt with it as everything else was so great.Side note: My daugher and her friend crashed before dinner our first night there...too much good time! the woke up at midnight hungry..and went to the front desk asking about food...everything was closed, but they made them ham sandwiches, and fruit. Can you get that in a great big hotel? I've never seen it!
Location: a 5 USD cab ride will get you to downtown San Jose, and a $2.50 USD bus ride to the Cabo Marina after a short walk to Mega Foods. The best of all worlds!
We are in our 50's and traveled with my 22 year old daughter and her friend. We all had a great time. If you're looking for a "spring break" atmosphere, this is NOT the place. If you're looking for a warm, friendly, relaxing environment, then this is it!
We will be back!

Room Tip: Room 228 rocked! Best ocean view!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Nunn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012

My wife and I recently spent our 17th trip to the Posada Real. We consider this our home away from home. The staff here is second to none. If you are looking for a resort, this is not the place for you. The Posada Real is a small, friendly, and quite place. We would not have gone there 17 times if we didn't love the place. Even the guests here are friendly. We have made some good friends over the years that come the same time as we do. I fish from shore every day and usually do well(not this year). I reccomend renting a car and seeing the Los Cabos area, its safe and easy to get around. Again the hotel is clean and the staff is the best, Urbano is the best, he can help you with any questions you may have. Thanks Posada Real, see you next year!

Room Tip: Get an ocean view room
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Posada Real Los Cabos? Share your experiences!