“Perfect for Destination Wedding!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Zoetry Casa del Mar Los Cabos

You added Zoetry Casa del Mar Los Cabos to your Saves list
Zoetry Casa del Mar Los Cabos
4.5 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   Carretera Transpeninsular, San Jose del Cabo 23400, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #12 of 37 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
east coast
“Perfect for Destination Wedding!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2007

GREAT boutique hotel. My husband and I got married there in October and couldn't have been happier. All our guests adored it, too.

The hotel is beautiful -- lush, tropical, comforting and luxurious but not uptight like some of the other more posh resorts. It is undergoing renovation, but the noise wasn't that bad while we were there -- as soon as you went out to the main pool area, you couldn't hear it at all, and we didn't 'hear it from our room. But the renovations will just make it even more beautiful. I give them high marks for facilities. Oh, one weird thing was that some of the bathtubs in the rooms were literally in the middle of the bathroom with no doors. Kinda weird! Fun for me and my hubby, not so fun for other guests. Not all the rooms were like that, though.

The staff is also excellent and very helpful. In fact, after our rehearsal dinner, I came back to the hotel starving because I had been too nervous to eat. Even though the kitchen was closed, the staff opened it again to make me a plate of french fries!!! How nice!

The food there is also quite good and tasted very fresh. It wasn't all heavy and fried and taco and tortillas like a lot of other places where. The shrimp ceaser in the cheese basket was one of our favorite items!

I highly recommend this resort to anyone considering a destination wedding or a relaxing vacation. True, it's far from Cabo San Lucas where all the clubs are but that's not the scene we were going for anyway. We went out one night, and it was more than enough.

I also suggest renting a car -- cheaper than paying for all t hose taxis!!!

• Liked — the scenery
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed October 2006
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2007

We just had our destination wedding at Casa del Mar. After visiting other resorts in the area, we are convinced that we made the BEST decision possible. Casa del Mar is the just about the ideal mix of attentive hospitality and unobstrusive service. My wife and I are young avid global travelers. She has visited about 30 countires and I have been to almost 20.

Property: The property is pretty but not awe inspiring. It is not the most beautiful that you will find in the Los Cabos area, but it is probably the best blend of luxury and simplicity. There are plants and flowers everywhere and more groundskeepers than guests - very lush for this arid climate.

Rooms: We had 10 rooms in our party, every guest raved about the condition of the rooms. There are prior posts, mostly from 2006, that criticize the rooms' condition. But rooms were remodeled in late 2006. They are now outfited with very comfortable beds with plush feather matresses, pillows and comforters. Everyroom is fitted with a jacuzzi tub with a view of the ocean and separate showers. The furniture is dark wood, looking clean but not cold. The flooring is quartz stone throughout. Every room has a balcony and a view of the ocean. Our group also rented 4 of the condos on the property.

Service: The service is courteous. It is not as attentive as top tier resorts. The staff is kind and will offer assistance if you ask for it, but some will not offer assistance on their own. The main concierge, we found is a bit snobbish and not approachable, but the rest of the frontoffice staff were great.

Event Planning: The resort's event planner, Claudia, was GREAT! She was professional, personable and always available to assist not just us, but any of our guests. She was able to solve every minor snag our wedding ran into efficiently and gracefully.

Food and drinks: The prices are not cheap. We're New Yorkers, so that says a lot. But the quality of the food is better than most resorts we've been to. Our party went fishing one day and the staff was able to cook us the Dorados (mahi mahi) for lunch and dinner.

Stayed January 2007
East Coast
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2006

Beautiful location. Could be a beautiful resort. The lounge chairs are out dated and not very comfortable. The furniture and bedding in the rooms need to be updated. I emailed them the week before and asked if there would be any construction/renovation during our stay. I received a response back saying there would not be any construction until November. However, we we arrived, we quickly learned that the indoor restaurant, spa, and main swimming pool were all under construction. They should have told us this when we asked before hand. For that reason alone, I cannot rate the hotel more than 3 stars.

Antonio at the beach club pool bar was wonderful. He makes good drinks and will give you some great tips for your dinner reservations and activities.

• Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
california
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2006

We just returned back from Cabo. I loved Cabo it was so beautiful I didnt want to come back. I would not stay at CASA DEL MAR again, I know they are rated pretty high but this just wasn't what I expected. If you are looking for a place to stay with no one else there but you then this is the place. If this is your first time in Cabo then I would not stay at this hotel because it is so far from everything, but if you are looking for a place to just relax and never leave the hotel then this is the place. The hotel is also about 20 min. from downtown Cabo where all the activties are and the shopping and if you dont rent a car the taxi's are very expensive $25.00 each way into downtown Cabo. The hotel does offer a shuttle but it does not run all day long, you have to catch it at 10:00 and they bring you back by 3:00. I don't know why they rate this a 5 star hotel when the furniture was ugly and the place was not very clean. We meet some people there and I do recommend the RIU palace that's a really nice place to stay and not to far. I do recommend the Jungle Cruise that was soooooo fun...................
Lover's Beach is so romantic and nice to go snorkling. Just one last word of advise when you are at the airport after you get your luggage go straight outside and find your shuttle to your hotel because anyone in the airport who say's they can help you are just timeshare people so BEWARE..................
Oh and one last thing no where did I read that the hotel was under renovation so when we where there all you hear all day long is construction going on so makesure you call the hotel first.

• Liked — Dinner at there resturant was very good
  • Disliked — everything was so far away
  • Tips/Secrets — Cabo is very expensive............
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Oakland, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2006

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Condo portion of the resort and found the living quarters to be wonderful and very quaint. We were welcomed by our personal conceirge "Claudio" who was great, with booking tours and such. He warned us of the funny acting nature of the hotel workers...He also warned us of the overrated nature of the Mesq. Grill, but the Grill turned out to be a Great Meal, although it may have been slightly overpriced, it's more about the ambiance of being on the beach at sunset and enjoying a meal. The price compared to the reastaurant at Las Ventanas was very small, but it was also about the atmosphere more than the meal, but the meals were also tasty. I did not appreciate the attitude of one of the desk workers at Casa Del Mar, it may not have helped that we were both trying to get our points across at the same time, but if he would have listened to me before trying to answer me we may not have had the problem. It seemed that I never really had a problem with the staff until they questioned whether I was a Condo dweller or a hotel quest, I always thought that my money or pesos were just as good as anybody elses, but I quess when you're in Cabo it may be a difference. All in all we enjoyed Cabo...

• Stayed August 2006
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2006

We recently visited Casa Del Mar in Los Cabos, and wanted to share our impressions of the trip.

After a long flight from Newark (6 hours in the air), we arrived at Los Cabos, where baggage claim took forever. They had one skinny 60+ year old guy unloading baggage carts for multiple flights, while younger, stronger guys drove around aimlessly on their little tractors. We eventually got our bags (after one hour), and immigration and customs were no problem.

Upon exiting customs, we were literally mugged by taxi drivers and other hustlers as soon as we cleared customs. We had our transportation already arranged and were thankful for that. Be prepared to deal with hustlers as soon as you clear customs. They can be quite annoying.

Check in at Casa Del Mar was very quick and courteous. After getting a much needed welcome drink, a staff member gave us a quick tour of the hotel grounds and took us to our suite. The suite was clean and very nice and spacious. We found the staff to be always friendly, especially considering the bad weather we had (more to follow on that). The service was exactly what we expected, and the hotel grounds were beautiful and very well kept.

There is a nice beach, but there is no swimming due to strong waves and undertow. In general, if you like the beach, Cabo is the wrong place to go. CDM has an “adults only” pool which is right on the beach, and there are several other pools spread out on the property. We stuck to the adult pool, mostly because we came to Cabo for peace and quiet, and that was exactly what we got there. As far as the ocean, we dipped our toes a couple of times, and we also saw several jellyfish which were bright blue, almost like stained glass, and looked like they could injure someone pretty badly if touched. We did get to go to Santa Maria Bay, which is a nicer beach, but has zero facilities. Go to Santa Maria at your own risk. If you must go to the beach, a better (and to us the only) choice would be Chileno beach. Again, go there at your own risk. We never got to go to Medano Beach, but from what we saw, it wasn’t a place we’d care to visit due to the crowds. The CDM staff told us to try the beach at the Hilton. We did, and were totallty un-impressed.

As far as food, it was very expensive at Casa Del Mar. We decided to do what everyone else suggested, and rent a car for the week. We asked the concierge, and he quoted $57 per day for a compact. I used the free internet service provided by the hotel and rented thru National, for $17 per day for the same compact car. For the record, National Car Rental has an office at the Hilton, which is 2 hotels over. Also, the food at the Hilton was very good and much cheaper than our hotel. I’m not sure what the deal is with the food prices at CDM, but it was certainly a big turnoff for me. In all fairness to the concierge, we did arrange for a sunset cruise thru them and the price was exactly the same as the dock price. Also, the concierge was very courteous, and gave us lots of good tips as far as where to eat, what beach to visit, etc. Allow me to recommend two places to have dinner at. One is called “La Panga” and is in the town of San Jose. The other would be the Mediterranean restaurant at the Hilton. If you go there, make sure you give a good listen to Paco (Piano Player). He was very good.

As far as the weather, it was insane hot the first day (Sunday). Easily over 100. On Monday, tropical storm Emilia decided to stop by and say hello. It all started with a downpour around noon, with high winds. It stopped for a few hours, and we used that window for our first trip into Cabo San Lucas. When we got there, the place was a madhouse with flooded streets, disabled cars everywhere, etc. We had lunch at the Cabo Wabo, which was pretty much deserted.

Monday night, the rain got worse, and Tuesday we took the brunt of the storm. The Los Cabos area receives about 6 inches of rain a year. This storm dumped a year’s worth of rain in a 36 hour period. The winds were howling pretty good. At one point, I thought the sliding door glass was going to give, but it held. The power was sporadic, and at one point it was out for over 3 hours. The main building has a generator, but the other buildings were dark during the outages. It finally quit raining about 6 PM, and the winds let up a bit. Wednesday morning we woke up to cloudy skies, but no wind, and by early afternoon, the sun was out and things were almost back to normal. The only thing not working was the internet connection, and some satellite TV channels, as well as the pool filter at the “adults only” pool, which was a real drag for us. The TV channels finally recovered around dinner time, but the internet remained out until we left. I was told that the server “got wet” and had to be replaced. To their credit, they did let me use the computers in the sales office to do a couple of quick e-mails back to the kids at home.

From a sightseeing / activities standpoint, the only thing we did was go on a sunset dinner cruise past “the arch”. Since we had the storm earlier in the week and no boats were going out, everything was sold out. We managed to get on the “CaboRey” dinner cruise. It was very expensive, but OK. The thing that turned me off was the staff hounding the passengers for tips after dinner ended. This was especially annoying since we were lectured at the start that tipping was voluntary, only to be presented with a bill for 15% at the end. I would not go on this boat if I had a choice. The “Pez Gato” (Catfish), seemed to be more my speed.

Would we do it again ?. Definitely yes, now that we know how to handle the food situation, etc. The peace and quiet at Casa Del Mar, the great staff, and the beautiful location more than make up for the sticker shock at the restaurant. Cabo is expensive all around, but if you want something different from say, Cancun, you might be interested in visiting. I was told that Casa Del Mar is going to turn the remaining suites into condos, and that would only leave 30 hotel rooms. That being said, I am glad we went when we did, storm and all.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Food Prices
  • Tips/Secrets — Rent a car.
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Pittsburgh, PA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2006

My Husband & I stayed at Casa Del Mar from July 16 until July 21---we have NEVER been so disappointed. We have been planning to go to Los Cabos for 2 yrs. & had always planned on staying at Casa Del Mar due to Travel channels number 4 best mexican resort & the resorts own website. Everything about Casa Del Mar was mispresented. We made the mistake of eating breakfast, lunch & dinner there--the food was totally gross & very expensive. Breakfast-what a joke--$50.00 for 2 coffees & 2 breakfast burritos that had no taste. One evening we ate at the Mesquite Grill--you order your food from a blackboard while sitting on cheap plastic chairs that sink into the sand that your head is barely above the table. Oh & the seafood is so dry but that really does not matter because you can not see your food. Happy hour at the bar from 630-730---what a joke--only one bartender & he ONLY knows how to make SIMPLE drinks. The only good dinner we had was on Wednesday when we ate at Las Ventanas.
As for the pools--yes there are 7 but if you want towels for the pool you have to walk over to the main lobby & then ask the bellman. There are pools right outside of your room but no towels & no phone to call & ask for towels, There are 2 pools with swim up bars that do have towels (the towels are so faded & small-I wouldn't use them to wash my car) but ONLY during the day when the bar is open.
How about amenities---what amenities????
How about the spa--yes they have one. The list a list of treatments but not prices. WHY??????
The room--we booked an ocean front suite. We could see the ocean but we were not ocean front. The room listed a 42 inch Plasma TV--we had 2 15 inch regular TV's & the tv in the livingroom only got 3 channels. The A/C & fans barely worked--the room was NEVER really cold. We had ants on the patio & in the kitchen. The tiolet had some kind of leak & the smell on our last day was so aweful that is smelled like a dead animal. Most of the light bulbs were burnt out & when they did replace the bulbs it must have 40 watt. The furniture was rattan & very faded but comfortable.
If you like to be pampered this is not the resort for you.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — food
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Zoetry Casa del Mar Los Cabos? Share your experiences!