“Excellent holiday for everyone from toddlers to grandparents” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive

You added Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd Mijares S/N | Zona Hotelera, San Jose del Cabo 23400, Mexico (Formerly Presidente Los Cabos Resort)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #26 of 37 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Kelowna, Canada
“Excellent holiday for everyone from toddlers to grandparents”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

We loved our first family vacation and we would all go back in a heartbeat. We traveled as a group of 7 people - myself, my husband, and our 21 month old son, plus our extended family of 3 grandparents, and my sister. We stayed for two weeks from Feb 8-22nd. This review is written with families in mind because I had a lot of child related questions before we left. This is a long review but if I don’t mention something and you have questions feel free to message me.

Location
San Jose del Cabo was a beautiful little town. To be honest we didn't know the difference between the two Cabo's when we booked but it turns out San Jose was the perfect town for all of us. We went into Cabo San Lucas many times (25 minute drive) and we all agreed that we much preferred San Jose del Cabo because it was smaller and quieter. We didn't want nightclubs or a lot of people so this area was ideal. The resort is well located at the end of a hotel row on the ocean. It is inside an estuary, which was perfect for our son to play around in everyday. The estuary is flat and was accessible with our BOB stroller, and there is also a paved path along the river.

The service is exceptional at this resort. The restaurant staff were fantastic and so accommodating of us, but so was the chambermaid and all of the grounds staff. We tipped small amounts ($1) at every meal and in our room to show our appreciation. In general we found the people of Los Cabos to be very friendly.

Food and Drinks

The food and drinks were very good at all of the venues. I have read that many people say the food is not very good but I completely disagree, that wasn't our experience. We all thought the quality of food was very good, and there was great variety. We ate at Napa for breakfast everyday, lots of pancakes, eggs, yogurt and fruit for our son. The grandparents at at Terraza and loved it. We usually ate at the beach grill for lunch because our son could run around free and we could eat snack foods (tacos, hot dogs, burgers). Dinner was always good at all of the restaurants, I have zero complaints about food. The beer, margaritas and pina coladas were really good as well. Nobody got sick and we ate and drank everything, including eating salads everyday.There are also high chairs everywhere so it was easy to seat our son.
The earliest the restaurants open is 7am so I brought some snacks for the room that our son could eat when he woke up at 6am. Tip - We discovered the Esplanda restaurant/show during week 2 and I would say that is a great option for kids. Dinner starts at 6 (buffett) and the show starts at 7, and wow did my son love this show. The music and dancing kept him glued to the stage. I would recommend sitting very far away from the stage as it tends to be pretty loud.

Bottle: When we arrived our son took a warmed bottle of milk at bedtime and in the morning. I asked the staff to fill and heat the bottle and they were very accommodating (our room didn’t have a microwave). Turns out he didn't like the milk (it was in a tetra pack and smelled different than our usual milk) so by the time we left he wasn't taking the bottle any longer (yay!). But, if you want to continue with bottles there is a fridge in the rooms and you can buy milk at the Mega store down the road if you want to get Canadian style milk. The staff will heat it for you any time of the day.

Rooms
Ok, my only source of irritation with our stay was with our room situation. When I booked the trip I requested a ground floor room. I wanted our son to be able to play outside the room on the grass, as well as for us to be able to sit outside during his 2 hour daily nap. When we checked in we were told that we could not have a ground floor room without paying $30 per day for an upgrade, so we were given a 3rd floor room. However, my other family members were each given 2 ground floor rooms and there was no mention of an upgrade charge. My mom and sister had the exact room I wanted near the family pool and they were randomly assigned to it, as they didn't make any requests for a specific room. I remain baffled as to how their room assignment works.

The positives of our 3rd floor room was that it had a peekaboo ocean view and was very quiet (we were in the 7th building, furthest away). The third floor rooms have a very private and safe deck so we left the sliding glass door open and the baby could run anywhere on the deck. However the decks are 5 feet high and not see through so you can't sit and enjoy the view, you have to stand to see over it.
Crib - they provided a nice little crib and bedding for us and tucked it into the corner. There is AC in the room as well to keep it a nice temp.

Activities
We did several activities: city tour; whale watching; marlin fishing, rented a car; and we walked and took several buses around town.

Bus, Taxi and Walking- it is about 20 minutes walk to get to the town square in San Jose. Its about the same walk time to Mega or Walmart. Or its a $7 cab ride one way.
The bus is about $1US to San Jose and about $3US to San Lucas. Do not take the green bus to San Lucas no matter what the bus driver tells you, they drop you off on the outskirts of the city and you walk for 10 minutes. When you leave San Lucas catch the bus at the Pallasis and look for one that has San Jose written on it. We traveled with the baby and his stroller on the bus and it was cramped but fine.

City Tours: We booked the ‘city tour’ at the activities desk through Grey lines tours, it was $79 per person. It was from 8-2:30, and included transportation to San Lucas. We took a glass bottom boat (with baby lifejacket) out to see the famous rock arch. Went to a blown glass factory (amazing wine glasses!), did some shopping in the marina district in san lucas, then to chilero beach, and also stopped for lunch at a great restaurant in san Jose called Jasmines, and it included a tequila tasting. It is a good tour to do right away to get familiar with your location. The tour guide (Lenin) was excellent as well.
Whale watching tour- I would recommend that you google a company and book with them directly online or in person at the marina in san lucas, do not book at the hotel. We booked through grey lines and there was a significant price discrepancy between what grey lines charged us and what the actual tour cost. Grey lines is a third party vendor so of course they make commission, I should have looked into it ahead of time. Once I learned of the price difference I requested a refund from Grey Line and they did it very quickly without any fuss. The tour that we booked was was on Eco Cat, which is a large catamaran. I wouldn’t do that again with a small child, I would book one of the small ‘glass bottom boats’ as there are less people on it and it is completely covered from the sun, plus it has life jackets. On the catamaran there were no side walls, just cable, and you can’t hold a squirmy toddler for 2 hours and maintain your sanity. Plus there were about 50+ people on that boat with us but the glass bottom boats had about 10.

Car Rental - Since there were 6 of us we decided to get out of the resort and explore the coast for a day. We reserved a vehicle online through Alamo, we ordered a minivan (Town and Country) with a car seat. When we went to pick it up at the confirmed time it wasn’t there. They said it would be 5 minutes. 45 minutes later we walked across the street to Thrifty and rented it there for cheaper. We got the same Minivan with a car seat and it was $100US for 24 hours. We drove around San Lucas and shopped then up to Todos Los Santos, had lunch, explored the town and then returned to San Jose. It was definitely worth the trip.

Marlin fishing
This is quite expensive (I thought), as it costs apprx $450 per person. My father in law booked it at the front desk but there are plenty of these boats running out of the marina in Cabo San Lucas and they are selling trips on the docks. The quoted prices between vendors were all very similar as the boat, bait and licence seemed to be standard costs. Oh and February is not marlin season so while some people were catching them, he did not. He caught a Mahi mahi though.

What to do at the resort with a toddler

This resort had quite a lot of kids in it, which we really enjoyed. It is definitely a family friendly resort, but there were a lot of 55+ year olds as well that seemed to love it.The kid/family pool is awesome and has a couple of slides with a large dumping bucket of water that dumps every few minutes. The larger family pool had a shelf in it that kids ran around on and played with beach balls and jumped off of. We were in the pool at least once a day. We never did go into the other two pools at the resort, this one was perfect for us.
Beach - the beach is amazing! We went to Walmart right away and bought a bunch of sand toys and a ball for a couple of bucks and he played with those every day on the beach. There are plenty of shady spots and tons of room to run around on the beach. I would suggest asking at the kids club (located beside the kid pool) to see if there are any toys, as I noticed that there were balls and floaties for the pool in there that they would loan out. No need to go buy your own.
Playground - there is a small play structure that is meant for little kids under 5. It has a couple of swings, a slide and a ladder. My son really liked it, and it’s located next to the family pool and outside of Napa so we were there quite a bit too.
Walk - We went to the estuary and for walks in the stroller quite a bit, we used the stroller every day. We also let him roam around the resort a lot, he ran up and down the walkways, stairs, it was very safe.

-Further Suggestions -
-Take US dollars from home (we converted our CAN dollars at a bank at home), its all we needed. They give Pesos in return. Credit cards are accepted everywhere.
-Bring your stroller for hitting the town or long walks. Some sidewalks aren't very good but mostly its very accessible.
-There are no bath tubs so get your kid used to showering with you before you go
-Diapers, and everything, can be bought 15 mins away at Mega or walmart. Its identical to one at home so don't pack all your baby stuff, just get it there.
-Go over to Puerto Los Cabos (about 10 minutes by cab) and there is a swimmable beach at the marina. The sand was so soft and amazing and it was nice for our son to actually play in the sand and water.
-There are no car seats in buses and taxis so dont freak out, just expect to belt your kid in with you.
- If you want to take home alcohol, get it at the Walmart. We got some amazing deals on our tequila and rum - much better than the Duty Free store at the airport (we checked).

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (457)
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

My mom, sister and I stayed at the Holiday Inn Resort in Los Cabos (Close to the city of San José del Cabo) for 2 weeks at the end of November in 2013. Overall, it was a good experience. 2 weeks was much too long of a stay at an all-inclusive resort for me personally, but like I said, overall it was good. There are a few points of note:

1. Food! If you do stay longer than a week, it seems the food goes on repeat. As in, they have themed nights (which were fine the first time around), but these themes are the same starting on Sunday or Monday each week, and with each theme the food was the same and the same sometimes across different themes. The food was tasty enough, with a good variety of meat, vegetables, fruits, and desserts, but if you like wide variety in your meals, keep your expectations low at this resort.

2. Activities! The activities were great, the staff that co-ordinated them: excellent. Again, they are on a rotating schedule, sometimes coinciding with the daily theme, and therefore a bit repetitive. But the variety was there, things like yoga, beach and water volleyball, trivia by the pool, etc. We even got to go along and see/help some baby turtles be released, which was quite an exciting experience. Important note: Turtle release is typically only available between approximately August to December time.

3. The internet! If you need, like, or want good internet during your stay, be prepared to spend a lot of time either in the Lobby or by the pool nearest to the lobby. Our room was one that was quite a ways from the lobby and it was awful reception there.

4. Location! Do you research on this location prior to booking, it's important to know that it is not near to the city of Cabo San Lucas, it is approximately 30-40 minutes by car, depending on traffic, and around 45 minutes by bus. The resort did offer transportation to the city but it was significantly more expensive than taking the local bus, though more convenient and less confusing. We typically took a taxi to the nearest main bus stop near the MegaMart (approx. $7 USD) and then caught the bus from there, which cost approximately $2.50 USD/person to get to Cabo San Lucas.

Overall, good experience, would stay again but only for a 3-7 day trip.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Dear ericaecho,

Thank you for your comprehensive review. You have covered all aspects of your stay and we are pleased that overall you did enjoy your visit.

All of our reviews are evaluated by management, and your review is no exception. Your feedback is very important to us as this assists us in continually improving the services and facilities we have to offer to our guests.

Thank you again for your comments. Your business is valued and we hope your future travel plans will continue to include IHG properties.

Regards,
Brenda J.
Roscommon, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

We traveled as a larger group of 19 from our neighborhood. For all of us this was our first all inclusive. The service was wonderful. The staff really made us feel like they wanted us to have a great time. The entertainment was very good and well lead by Rocio. We had so much fun with the staff as well as all our friends that came with us. Rocio really made our trip fun. Estella and Pauline at the Caribean were so much fun.

Room Tip: The resort is large, if you are traveling with a group, let the front desk know your preference to b...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Boulder CO
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

The location is awesome and the grounds are really quite beautiful, but not very good at anything else.

Pros:
-grounds
-access to the beach
-proximity to San Jose
-staff helpfulness (sometimes)

Cons:
-food was terrible, prime rib tasted like shoe leather. Overall food didn't have much flavor.
-bed... like sleeping on cardboard box
-bathroom sink has little bugs crawling out of it
-housekeeping didn't clean room till after 4pm
-no cocktail waitresses at pool or beach

My biggest beef was we arrived to check in at 4pm and they didn't have our room ready. I was very under the weather and we were forced to sit and wait for the room. While waiting we had to sit with the excursion folks and listen to their pitch. Not cool.

If you are looking for a very laid back vibe and are willing to forfeit quality food, lack of entertainment and lack of amenities this would be a good fit.

Beach bums would be very happy. Great access to the beach and lots of space to spread out. We never had to fight for a deck chair, but we also visited in February.

Overall.... A solid "C". Would not choose to stay there again, but didn't hate our stay.

Room Tip: The lanai rooms were really nice, but if you are not going to spend much time in your room, skip thi...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Allegedgogirl,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. It is nice to know that you liked our location. I am sorry we were not able to exceed or at least be at par with your expectation particularly with the food, bed, bathroom, and housekeeping services. Rest assured that these issues will be looked into. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Karen G.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

Spent 7 nights at the resort with my mother and pre-teen daughter. We had a fabulous time. The service was excellent. The food was simple but delicious - well prepared with plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables. Fresh baked breads and desserts were wonderful. Lots of variety. Three separate pool areas catered to different needs - family pool had great atmosphere for younger kids, main pool by the activity hut was action packed, and adult pool was quiet and relaxed. The beach is absolutely stunning and the resort is right next to an amazing estuary and bird preserve. The massage place across the street from the hotel was a great find, as well. We enjoyed being away from the crowds. San Jose Cabo is much less built up than Cabo San Lucas if you are looking for a quieter time.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Danville, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

Staff was friendly for the most part, the food wasn't very good- and the bar was nothing to write home about (I'd stick to beer and pina coladas- bloody mary's were awful). Had issues getting served dirty glassware. I've been to all-inclusive resorts where the food was much better.

Rooms were clean, small bathrooms. Not really a great ocean entry for this place.

Room Tip: Get a bottom floor room facing the main pool- they have a porch and a hammock.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Dear Adam S,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay with us. We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve, and continually provide the best guest experience possible.

While we are pleased you found our staff commendable, we would like to apologize for failing to exceed your expectations in regards to some aspects of your stay. We have taken note of your comments and have shared these with our management team for the purpose of bringing improvements needed.

While we understand that your stay was less than satisfactory, we hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Joel B
Los Gatos
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

My wife and I spent 5 nights in February of 2014 in this resort. Rooms are clean and modern. The service here exceeded our expectation: the personnel in the 3 restaurants, those serving at the pool-side and indoor bars, or the maid service, everyone was friendly, polite and efficient. As soon as we asked for anything, the staff came to the room with whatever we needed. The pools are very clean and at the right water temperature and there are plenty of long chairs and towels for relaxation. You can eat at any time of the day or evening, with both full-serve or self-serve menus. Food is reasonably good; delicious and balanced. I had to print and fax several legal documents while at the hotel; the front desk did these for me very efficiently and at reasonable cost (Internet connection is intermittent, perhaps due to the high demand). And the last, but not the least, is the location: The entire resort is on a long and wide beach; you can walk on the beach (you cannot swim due to danger of undercurrents), horse-ride there, or sometimes fly in ultra-light machines. Blue water and pleasant view complemented our vacation, one of the best we have had.

Room Tip: Apparently all rooms face pool area with the beach in the background. You might want to try one of...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive? Share your experiences!