“Excellent Service and Beach Resort!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive

You added Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd Mijares S/N | Zona Hotelera, San Jose del Cabo 23400, Mexico (Formerly Presidente Los Cabos Resort)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #25 of 38 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Sierra Madre, CA
“Excellent Service and Beach Resort!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

I stayed here on my recent trip to Cabo. Although past reviews seemed mixed, I would have to say that my stay here was very pleasant and worthy of an excellent review based on the quality of service and amenities provided by the all inclusive hotel. My less than stellar experience with the "time share" affiliate is not a reflection of my experience with the hotel itself.

The hotel is in the San Jose del Cabo area which is offset from Cabo San Lucas. In my opinion, this served as an advantage as I was looking for a nice beach to relax and lounge. If you are looking to go clubbing this hotel is not the best option although they do offer a night time shuttle(8 PM-1 AM) to Cabo San Lucas for 300 pesos per person round trip if two people are traveling. I opted to take a taxi to be more flexible which cost about 800 pesos roundtrip in the end and the taxi did wait for us on the return. Taxis are not the cheapest in Cabo San Gringo...ehh...Lucas.

The beach around the Holiday Inn is pristine! It's very clean with far less people than that of Cabo San Lucas. It offers the relaxation and peaceful environment that I was looking for. I also opted for a Ocean Front with Balcony Room which had a beautiful undisturbed view.

The food is definitely average here but I really did not have high expectations. It was definitely more than edible and enjoyable most of the time. I have to give major props to the entertainment staff at the resort. They work hard to keep the guests entertained during the dinner shows which I believe are offered nightly. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of entertainment offered.

The price was definitely right for the quality of room, food, drinks and service. I would absolutely recommend the resort for families or those looking for some peace and relaxation away from the party scene. If you want to party, drinks and bars are still plentiful on the resort. There is a cantina lounge where guests tend to flock too after the dinner shows end.

If you are looking to ride a horse on the beach with out having to arrange the activity you should be able to negotiate a 30 minute ride for about 250-300 pesos or less for two people with a group soliciting on the beach in front of the Holiday Inn. Not a bad price at all.

One negative note...

After checking in I was encountered by an individual providing me information on the resort. Although they did provide information, it seemed like the person was tied to some type of Time Share program within the hotel as they inclined us to attend an informational session to save on activities. I did attend the session the next morning which I was told would take 90 minutes max. It ended up taking about 2 hours of my time as the sales pitch got a little aggressive despite declining the offer several times. I ended up getting a Lands End Tour including transportation to Cabo San Lucas for $30 for two people by attending the session. Not really worth the savings in the end for what a little bit of research could have done for me. It would have been nice for the hotel to provide a little more details at check in on the restaurants and facilities provided by the hotel. I did not expect a full run down of this information at check in by the hotel staff but at least an informational packet on what restaurants are at the resort, times they are open and where snacks/drinks are available.

Room Tip: Pick an ocean front with balcony or one of the lanai rooms with hammock.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Santiago S, Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
First of all I loved the Cabo San Gringo joke revproj! It does tend to fill up with the ready to party crowd. That's why I love San José, it has a more relaxed vibe and most of our guests really appreciate that. Sorry about the unpleasantness of the time share shenanigans. It's funny you mention the restaurants and activities guide because those are always available at the Front Desk and part of our welcome pack at check in, again sorry we didn't get you one when you arrived. We hope you can come back for another stress free vacation!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (540)
Salmo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

We booked this hotel because the price was right and also because the reviews we had read were pretty good...only the odd one that was negative so we thought we would give it a try. We had an absolutely fabulous time! First of all, if you go with another four or more people, take a cab not the shuttle cause it's almost the same price and you get there so much quicker. Our check in was quick and easy. As was the check out. The food was really quite good. Nothing to complain about at all. We have stayed at a 5 star and no this wasn't a 5 start but I would give it a 4! One of the ala cartes was the steak house. I had the chicken that was so so good and my husband had the steak and it was cooked perfectly. The grounds are very well kept..very clean. Never once did we feel unsafe. And it was so close to the town centre where there are lots of restaurants, shops, etc. I always find that wine in an all inclusive usually tastes like terpantine, but it was pretty good here! We had a really good time and would have no problem at all staying here again! We were there from Jan 20-27th and the weather was perfect...not too hot...just right! If you are considering here...give it a try!! The only thing I didn't like was the beds were quite hard but that is pretty standard for mexico unless you are in a 5 star. And also, the walls are paper thin! Could hear our neighbours like they were in our room but since we were hardly ever in our room, didn't make a federal case out of it.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Santiago S, Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Excellent Charlene! I love it when our guests are pleasantly surprised by our Hotel. Good advice about the taxis. Unfortunately for our destination taxis are expensive, so that's why a lot of people on their reviews recommend either a) walking or b) taking the bus, which is $1 USD per ride when you move around locally in San Jose. It's just important for our guests to know that there are options.
Edmonton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

We just returned from a 2 week stay at the Holiday Inn Los Cabos and I left with mixed emotions.
We are frequent all inclusive travellers 8 all ins in the past 6 years. I have never written a POOR review.

The following will be categorized and rated out of 5
Overall: 3 out of 5

Location:: 5 out of 5 saved the resort from being a 2 out of 5
Love the area! Wild cacti everywhere. Beautiful!
Huge beach, great wave/surf watching, and plenty of beach to go for long walks.
Location was great for walking. Great walk into town, San Jose Del Cabo is a great little town, lots of shopping but not as intense as PV flea market.
On the way to San Jose there is a fantastic Mexican restaurant called Habanero's, awesome tortilla soup. (avoid Pasquales unless you want to wait for 1 hour plus to pay your bill because the “computer lost it”??)

Resort/room :4 out of 5
smooth check in, clean resort, building 5 provided a huge room facing the pool and ocean. Hearing the huge waves crashing the shore from our room was a bonus. Great housekeeping staff, 3-4 bottles of water a day. Very clean no bugs at all.

Beach/snack bar 5 out of 5::
The Caribeno is your best bet for sun/service and food.
Hands down the best service in the resort.
Thank you to Francisco for the outstanding beach service he provided.
Thanks goes to his supporting cast of Fausto (bartender) and Mario (fellow server) for your superior service and providing a laugh daily.
Thank you to Guadalupe (snack bar chef) for brightening my day with her bubbly personality and her EXCELLENT quesadillas every day for lunch.
The resort should pay attention to what these folks are doing on their service levels and appoint them as managers to train the rest of the resort service staff.

Pools::: 2 out of 5
there are 3 pools on the resort.
Non are heated.
1 is used primarily for the family/kid pool. this pool has a swim up bar but the bartender has a hard time keeping up as he is alone and has to serve the children their slushes as well as the adults their drinks. Busy and slow.
Activity pool is just that, loud music to entice the clients to get up and get active.
The third pool is called the quite pool but we fondly referred to it as the library pool. Painfully quite in my opinion but works for some as it was a busy area.
They have their own bar and the bartender Alma is a doll. This is the only bar that serves beer from the can (not draft) She has been at the resort for years and remembers everyone when they walk up.

Food/service: 1 out of 5 (with the exception of the Caribeno)
Dinner was interesting as it is always service outside. For the most part if you have a sweater and pants you should be fine as they provide heaters around the dining areas.
If you get there earlier (6-630) you should find a spot close to a heater.
The problem with dinner is the service and the food.
Service was brutal most days. If you happened to get one of the young ladies as your server, good luck. They do not understand that good service means good tips.
The food was repetitive, and was themed every night yet many dishes were repeated from night to night?
The seafood night was the worst. I (as well as several others in line) did not eat seafood, so our options were green salad and a piece of thin pork or overcooked steak, that it?.
My husband however loves seafood and took a portion of everything and could not eat a thing (in the 36 years together I have not witnessed him not being able to eat seafood)

Frutas y Flores:: 1 out of 5
This location was breakfast/lunch and in the was the steak ale carte restaurant.
BAD on both accounts. We always had to ask for coffee and had to ask for condiments daily as well??
On our ale carte night we had to ask for menus and drink?
Normally the reason you go to an ale cart is the presentation of the food, well visually as well a taste this ale carte was an epic fail.
We received overcooked beef (I normally eat med to well and this was brutal) half of a small baked potato and vegies (so average I do not recall what they were)

My overall opinion would be:
I only paid $1410. all in for 2 weeks, this trip was worth that money. Others at the resort for the same timeline paid over $2000. not worth that money.
I would highly recommend the region but not this resort unless you are getting a great deal.

TIMESHARE STALKER HINT::: unless you are open to wasting your time speaking to a timeshare rep in the hotel, do not respond to anyone within the resort asking “do you have any plans for today”

Room Tip: Bulding 5, partial ocean view was great. You could hear the waves crashing the beach.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the honest review corbs13. It's nice when our guests are as detailed as you are because it's a very clear way of knowing our areas to celebrate and our areas to reflect. I'm happy you had a smile every time you went to Caribeño, the team there is amazing and they do their absolute best every single day. Not so good news for the rest of the service staff, but we take your comments very seriously and we'll be taking action to improve. It's in our best interest for you to come back and see that we're better at the things we're not so good right now.
Montana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

The price was right so we booked the Holiday Inn for Feb 2-8. Checked in and immediately we were jumped by the time share people. After I told them it definitely isn't going to happen, they didn't bother us any more. A lot of thought went into the layout of this resort. Along the south wing of rooms was a pretty good sized "family" pool. For quieter times, this was the place to be. The pool out from the lobby is the activities pool with the music, water aerobics, etc. Both pools have a swim up bar. I will give the food an 8 on a scale of 1-10. It was very good food although they could have used just a touch more variety. The one thing about this place that stand out more than any of the other resorts we have stayed at is the service. I can't say enough about the service. Definitely a 10 in every aspect of service. Location was great. The town center was only a one mile walk and there are a few shops and restaurants at about a half a mile to break up the walk. The walk is safe and very well lit up after dark. If you like massages, and believe me, I DO, try the one straight out and across the street from the lobby in the little wooden shack. When I go to Mexico, I get a massage every day. I received one at this location the last 3 mornings I was here and was sorry I didn't give it a try earlier. I had Maribel all three times and she is one of the best massage therapists I have ever had. The beach is huge! Definitely not safe to swim there but with the nice swimming pools, we didn't feel the need to swim in the surf. We did see some whales out from the resort which was quite a sight to see.

Room Tip: Room 7102 is 50 feet away from the family pool and on ground floor. It was very handy to be so clos...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
I concur with you LaurelMontana that the architect in charge of our Hotel did a great job. You have three different pools and because of the Hotel's layout they're completely (and sonically) isolated from one another. Water aerobics are at noon at the activities' pool and the music's at full boom, but at the same time you won't hear a thing on the adult pool or the family pool. I would've loved a 10 on both food and service, but I'm really proud of the 10 in service. I'm very happy our staff made you feel welcome!
Oakbank, Manitoba Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

My wife and I spent one week at the Holiday Inn from Jan 18th to 25th, 2013. We were very satisfied with the resort and were not expecting it to be as nice as it is from reviews we had read. We arrived at 11:00 AM and had to wait until 1:00 PM to check in to our room. The staff looked after us by getting everything we needed to check in, took our luggage and showed us where we could eat and change our clothes. We checked in our room at 1:00 and it was very nice. The hotel is a bit older and some of the tiles in the bathroom were worn a bit, but everything was clean and tidy. the room was comfortable, the bed somewhat hard but I find all hotels I stay at in Mexico this way. The restaurants were fine, the food was OK and the drinks OK. Our only concern with the food was at the buffet, it is outside and the evenings were on the cool side. The food at the buffets was cool or cold, so we ate at the restaurants all but two evenings. You have to line up each morning to make a reservation for the restaurants. The hotel was not overly busy when we were there, although near the end of the week things did pick up a bit. There is an adult area pool, an activities pool and a family area pool. There are bars at each pool and also a beach area bar. The beaches were very nice, although it is a fairly long way out to the water. No hassle from vendors as they stay outside the hotel beach property. Even when we ventured out they were not all that aggressive, not like I have seen at other locations. We had not trouble getting a palapa each day, again it may have been because the hotel was not al that busy. Most people seemed to enjoy the pool area more than the beach. They recommend you don't swim here, I wouldn't recommend it unless you are a very good swimmer. Definitely not for children. The grounds at the hotel were very well maintained and clean. It is rated as a three star hotel, so don't expect a five star experience. It is a very good place to stay for the price and i would recommend it to anyone. Also it is right beside the estuary if you like to walk or birdwatch, and it is a short 20 minute walk to the old town centre of San Jose. Lots of bars and restaurants to check our in town. We really enjoyed the place and hope to return.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Nice to hear that we exceeded your expectations JimDebH. As many of you have read (if you've gone back on TripAdvisor to reviews from 2011 and 2012), we changed flags in August 2011 from an InterContinental to our new brand Holiday Inn Resort. We have a promise to our guests to offer a comfortable bed, a warm meal, a nice setting, and I sincerely think that we do our best to deliver on all three accounts. It's always nice to know that we can still surprise our guests and give them a good overall travel experience.
Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

I just returned from spending 2 weeks at Holiday Inn. The hotel was awesome: most comfortable beds ever w 5 pillows each. The food was good. The entertainment was awesome. The grounds were beautiful complete with cactus gardens. It was so nice to have the estuary right next door and to be within walking distance to San Jose. The staff was friendly and lovely. But you cannot swim in the ocean due to dangerous currents. It was o so cold some evenings. Never before have I worn so many warrm clothes while vacationing in MX! I was sad that the beach vendors were not allowed near the hotel. Ask at the front desk for a schedule of hotel activities. Eat salsa and guac at the snack bar, dance at the Cantina and drink dirty monkies. Yum!

Room Tip: We had an ocean view with a patio. We loved our room. It was on the 3rd floor and in the building fu...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Eat, dance, and drink. That doesn't sound too bad Canadianchick003! Our pico de gallo salsa and the guacamole is really good. Last year we had a horrible situation when there was a shortage of avocados for our destination and we couldn't make guac! But this year all is well and there's a never-ending supply of tasty guacamole everywhere in the Hotel. The dancing in the Cantina with Ana our lounge singer is a great workout and the dirty monkies are always in high demand! It's a great recipe for a lot of fun!
Prince George, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Our overall impression of this resort was very good. The place was spotless. We stayed for a one week all inclusive and attempted an upgrade of the room. The cost quotedwas an additional $275 per night. That was a deal breaker because for a week, that would have been an extra $1650 plus taxes. So we put up with a second floor room with a garden view.As it was, Three of us paid a sum total of $2160 or $720 each. So to upgrade for that much was too steep for a hotel that was less than 60 % occupied.
One of the annoying aspects of our stay was the late arrival of guests after midnight and they roll their luggage past your room waking you up with the clackety clack of the wheels on the ceramic floor tiles.
Generally speaking, the beach was Ok but not too great for swimming. Forget about that nice moonlight walk with your sweetheart because the beach has lots of Horse plops. They do not clean up after the horses drop their bundles so you never know where or what you step in at night. I think the hotels should get together and insist that the beaches be cleaned of all this manure.
The other complaint I have is the smoking. You can smoke anywhere you want and we found it rather annoying that at games night for example, you end up leaving the games because the person sitting next to you lights up without concern for anyone else. Same went for the swimming pool, which beside being too cold,and no hot tub, you had to choose a spot away from smoking.For this reason alone, we probably will not go back to that resort.
Unlike what others have said about the time-share hawks, we were not bothered a single time during our stay.... great!
The tours sold at the hotel, you basically get what you pay for. Our experience with the city/snorkelling tour ws disappointing. The area was inundated with some kind of stinging jellyfish like Portugese Man-o-War.. We did however see some whales.
Overall, a good family resort without a swimming beach.

Room Tip: To get a better room, you have to upgrade if you purchased a package all-inclusive.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
You found one of our weak spots goldeneyebc, even though we have an expansive beach that seems to go on forever, once you reach the ocean it's not recommendend for you to go in. There's a severe undertow right in front of our Hotel so it's not safe for our guests to swim. It's a shame really but we do have three separate (and very nice) pools in the Hotel. And we've been lucky this year to have had a lot of whale sightings in front of the Hotel. Just today I was walking by the Esplanade and a young hunchback kept jumping out of the water. It seemed to be having a lot of fun!

Been to Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive? Share your experiences!