“Enrique's The Man” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive

You added Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Blvd Mijares S/N | Zona Hotelera, San Jose del Cabo 23400, Mexico (Formerly Presidente Los Cabos Resort)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #27 of 39 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Los Alamitos
“Enrique's The Man”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

First time back to Cabo for fishing in 15 years - finally got the chance to go back and take my boys, everything's changed and I was at a loss. But Enrique, the resort concierge was perfection. He went above and beyond to ensure that our stay was top notch. He was more than helpful in everything we needed. I had a lot of questions, and he had all the answers, was extremely patient, and not once did he hesitate to help out.

The resort itself is self contained. You have everything you need within the resort. Your vacation is what you want it to be. If you want to relax and stay on the property you can. If you want to explore outside the resort you can. We felt extremely safe. They employees were always pleasant, and helpful. If you've been thinking about making a trip out, do it!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (549)
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

we were there nov 26 to dec 3 we really enjoyed our stay. so quiet . we were looking for that food was so so never hot only warmee but we really appreciated that we didn't get any entertainment so no loud music ....yessss real quiet week we really needed...we changed our room and Santiago and the reception desk was very pleasant ...thanks to him so we sere closer to the beach . temperature is simply wonderfull...building 7 is the best .

thank you to Kevin for the bike tour very patient with people always smiley ...with that kind of cycles we needed a patient guide and he WAS thanks Kevin

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

The place used to be called the Presidente Intercontinental and we were hesitant to try it since Holiday Inn sounded more like a domestic destination, but thanks to upper managment that the name is the only thing that has changed, because nothing was broken. We enjoyed the casual laid back atmosphere and the staff was as always like an extended family. Shout out to Luis Ocampo at the bar. He always has a smile on his face and keeps the energy and conversation going.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Seal Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

We went for a quite get away and we found it! The grounds are beautiful you couldn't ask for a better location! If you want a five star hotel with five star meals you don't want to go here. However, if you want a clean, friendly, beautiful place to relax and have some fun...this is your place! We even got to release baby sea turtles into the ocean. If you do go be sure to check out the quiet pool with the best bartender, Alma! Make sure to tip her well and tell her hello from Bob and Kathi :)

Room Tip: The rooms on the first floor have a hammock on your lanai...it is wonderful! Building 1 it the quiet...
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

This is my 2nd time at an all-inclusive resort and 1st time to Los Cabos. I chose this resort because I had a couple of free nights with Priority Club, and we were looking for a lazy, laid back kind of vacation. I read a lot of the TA reviews beforehand, so I knew what to expect.
Hotel: Our room was very clean. The shower was large (my boyfriend is a big guy, and he commented on it!). The water pressure in the shower was good, and the temperature was hot. We did not find any mold or dirt in the bathroom. The bed was firm (again, my boyfriend, who always has back pain at home, had no back pain while we were there). As a Priority Club member, I was upgraded to a balcony room, which was nice.
Food & drink: As expected from other reviews, there isn't a huge variety of food. But what we had was decent. Some things are very good, and some are bland or a little overcooked. I think the Mexican dishes were better in general than their forays into other cuisines. It also seemed like a few of the dishes were revamped for the next meal. I could see how the meals would become monotonous if you were here for a long stay. We tried the a la carte restaurant one night. My boyfriend had the fish, and I had the steak. He didn't like his, but mine was delicious - tasty and tender!
Entertainment: Not a lot going on here. Some pool activities. We played bingo one day. There is a singer at night during the week. We only watched her one night. Then on Saturday, there was a show by the pool. It was nice. I don't know if the lack of activities is due to the low season or if that's how this hotel always is. It would be nice if they'd add a little more in the evenings.
Staff: Very friendly and accommodating. No complaints at all. I had a complicated reservation (points, promotion, and payment), and they handled it with ease.
Beach: There's a large expanse of beach, with nice, soft sand. Not rocky at all. You do have a feeling of having the beach to yourself. It's great for walks, but you can't swim here - the undertow is strong.
Location: This hotel is the last one in a this line of hotels. It's closer to San Jose del Cabo than to Cabo San Lucas, so it's pretty laid back. We walked into San Jose one day. It's about a 15 minute walk. Then we took the bus back. The public buses look like old school buses, but they are white with an orange, yellow or red stripe. They say "Colectivo" on them. It's 8 pesos to ride it each way. There are some bus stops, but we were told that you can just flag them down, and the driver will stop for you.
I completely agree with Harmony59's review of this resort. Overall, this was exactly what we were looking for. We wanted a vacation where we could sit by the pool and relax and read and not have to plan or think much. We wanted it to be reasonably priced. We wanted an adult crowd. We wanted decent food and drinks. We wanted nice weather, scenery, and convenient location. We were satisfied with what we got.

San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

The front desk staff are extremely helpful and very kind. The housekeeping staff is friendly and the rooms are clean. Our AC worked fine, and housekeeping brought bottled water promptly whenever we asked. Some of the food is really yummy, and most of it is just fine. It's an all-inclusive deal - if you expect it to be spectacular, you'll be disappointed. For the price, the experience was great!

There are giant moths that reside on the outdoor walls (naturally) in the corners but they just stay motionless where they are and mind their own business. They just look like giant butterflies that are all one color - brown or black, and they just stay still, wings fully spread out. Occasionally we saw one moving, trying to get into a bright light. No problem. Just nature. There weren't mosquitoes so I was happy about that.

The hotel is situated right by the beach, and also next to an estuary for the many species of native birds, and that was nice to stroll through to get to downtown and walk around at the Art Walk, an event going on while we were in town. They don't advise swimming in the ocean from the beach where the hotel is situated because the undertow is too strong for it to be safe. That was no problem too because we just played in the water and didn't go far out enough to swim anyway. And a few paces from the beach itself there are three pools to choose from with swim-up bars and plenty of space.

Alma, the bartender at the outside bar near the smallest pool, was great! Her bar is close to the protected sea turtle egg nests that the biologists check daily for newly hatched turtles, and because I was so interested in seeing the baby turtles she kept an eye out on that for me! She also made the yummiest drinks of any of the other bartenders.

The baby sea turtle release that happens whenever the biologists let the hotel staff know (you have to check for it) made the hotel location optimal, and made the experience there worthwhile. I was about to pay (over a hundred dollars for two adults) for a tour that would include an hour drive just to get to and from the other location where baby sea turtles would be released, and luckily this hotel had the option for us to stay and enjoy it here (for zero charge)! I got to hold and release seven baby sea turtles into the ocean! It was an amazing, priceless experience, and this hotel has it.

My boyfriend and I had a great time here.

Beaverton, Oregon, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

This review talks about the resort, snorkeling, and our experiences with timeshare people. We are hoping that our comments will help to bring more people to this Holiday Inn Resort.

This was our first all inclusive trip, for four nights, and it was really wonderful to be relieved of grocery shopping and cooking for ourselves. We hardly ever drink, but with the all inclusive arrangement, and the mention of some particularly tasty sounding drinks to try in previous comments, that changed right away.

Favorite drinks: the Sea of Cortez, Pina Colada, and Mango Daiquiri

The food was very good, with good variety. I cannot tolerate spicy food, and worried about that, but I had no trouble at all avoiding things that were spicy. I am also a vegetarian (no fish, no poultry, no meat) and found plenty of non meat options. We ate mostly at the buffet meals. I loved that there was a salad bar at every lunch and dinner that had two types of leaf lettuce, plus at least 4 or 5 other ingredients (cucumber, tomatoes, black beans, garbanzo beans, black and/or green olives, baby corn, etc.). I do not know if spinach is easily available, and I did not see it at the salad bar, but I typically prefer spinach over the leaf lettuces. I really liked guacamole on the buffet line, and black bean dishes. There was a pizza on one of the buffet lines that was a thin crust cheese, tomato, and basil that was excellent. I had tried the margherita pizza from the room service menu (which is listed under the kid's menu) and that was just so-so, the other pizza on the buffet line was far better. I would suggest that the better version of that pizza be offered at La Caribeno (snack shack) everyday. There is a printed menu at La Caribeno, but we found it is possible to request some items that are not listed. We were able to ask for guacamole, onion rings, and quesadillas. This is an example of what another vacationer saw as "lack of attention to detail," that I will agree is one of the reasons why I give a very good rating instead of an excellent rating. The staff are quite willing to put together an entree you would like, if they have those ingredients available.

We skipped the beach party, and heard from another vacationer that the BBQ ribs were tasty at that buffet. We did one dinner where we made the reservation, and that was good. We went at 8:30 p.m. and they were out of the one entree that two of our party of four wanted. I requested a vegetarian alternative as the entrees were all beef, seafood, or chicken. They made up a nice spaghetti with tomato sauce that white beans mixed in for texture and protein.

The wait staff are excellent, Oscar and Laura being our favorite folks. They are very good at watching and clearing your plate within seconds or minutes of when you look like you are finished, without hovering.

I brought a refillable insulated cup with a lid and that served me very well. It kept the mixed drinks colder for a longer period of time by the pool, and allowed portability around the grounds/back to the room. I also used it to have hot tea in the morning at breakfast. There is a table with self service coffee available next to the Napa restaurant, typically by 6 a.m. If you want tea, you have to ask a wait staff for that. I am partial to English Breakfast, and they had Twinings brand. I am a flavored creamer nut at home, and I did not even ask if they had flavored creamer. The regular creamer with some Splenda worked fine. In fact, I really loved the creamer.

We had two 3rd floor rooms. The first room was okay, and was for just one night. The second room had a better view of the ocean and cooler floor plan, 4318. It was in building 4, right by the La Caribena snack bar, and activity pool. Next time we will definitely consider the first floor rooms with the hammock. Air conditioning worked fine. In room safe worked well for us. Although we had read that we could get a little refrigerator for the room, we did not need one.

There are OXXO stores that are similar to a 7-11 convenience store around town. They have a frozen coffee drink that is yummy. Kind of like a slushee. There is an OXXO close to the resort near the Mega, a big grocery store.

We did not participate in any activities. We went on our first day to the activity pool at 11:40 a.m. to await the aqua aerobics class. There was an overhead announcement at 12 noon that it would be starting in 5 minutes, but the instructor never came. We realize that the resort had less guests than usual, but it was disappointing, as I would have participated everyday if the first day had worked out. Next time I will make it clear to the activity staff the evening before that there will definitely be one interested party for the aqua aerobics class, so to please hold the class. I was interested in the adult tennis class, but did not follow up. Next time. We heard that the bike tour offered most mornings at the resort was very good. We saw folks departing with their vests and bike helmets on.

The timeshare folks typically ask if you are celebrating a certain anniversary or birthday, where you are staying, and if there are any activities/tours you are planning to do while on vacation. We were approached at the car rental company. We did not realize who he was at first because he pulled out a map and was sharing information about how to get to our resort. It was helpful to know that there was a toll road that was a faster way to get from the airport to the resort. It cost $2.40 and we were able to pay with $3 and get U.S. or Canadian coins back. When the timeshare guy found out that we were not interested in doing any activities or tours, he said he could give us a voucher to pay for our rental car (about $140 US dollars), however, he wanted $40 cash from us in order to reserve a breakfast presentation. At that point we realized he was actually trying to sign us up for a timeshare presentation and we declined. He was a little huffy, but let us keep the map.

Had massage at booth across street from resort, which was very good. $30 for one hour massage. Did not have appt, and was able to get massage right away.

This is a very tranquil setting. If you are looking for a rowdy, party atmosphere, please go someplace else. Although one cannot swim at the beach located at this resort, the beach has palapas with lounge chairs that are great for just sitting and enjoying the view. You can sit close to the palapas near the La Caribena snack shack, so that you can go get yourself some drinks and food periodically.

We went snorkeling at Chileno Beach and Santa Maria Beach. Since we had rented a car, it was easy enough to drive to each of those beaches and the parking was free. By the way, parking was free at the Holiday Inn Resort.

Perfect fit for what we want out of a vacation. Although we would love to have a beach for snorkeling right at the resort, we were so pleased with Chileno Beach, that we know coming back to Holiday Inn Resort will serve us fine next time. We suggest you bring a soft insulated lunch bag, with a couple of ziploc bags (request ice from room service or staff) so that you can take some drinks with you. We read that a take away lunch is available from the resort if requested the day before for like $3.50 US dollars.

We brought our own mask and snorkel. We wear aqua socks instead of fins. So, we did not have to fuss with renting equipment. A word to the wise, Johnson's baby shampoo is the best way to keep the mask clean and clear. We used another kind of shampoo with equal success. Having a clear mask that does not fog up is important. The clarity of the water is important, too, and the water clarity at Chileno Beach and Santa Maria Beach was great. The coral formations were most interesting at Chileno Beach to the right, up and over a hill, as you face the ocean. There is a bathroom, we did not use, but would suggest you bring your own toilet tissue or wet wipes, just in case.

I brought a little squirt bottle of Skin so Soft to wear at night because my previous trips to Mexico have resulted in some bad mosquito feasts on my skin.

As snorkelers, we have found that the rash guard, a shirt made of fabric that blocks out the sun so that wearing sunscreen where the fabric covers is not necessary, is a great tool for protecting us from sunburn. I will bring two swimsuits next trip so that I can leave one to dry and wear the other one.

We got a coupon upon check in because we are Priority Club Visa card members, for $50 off an excursion if one spends more than $100 on an excursion with the desk just off the lobby that has the Expedia sign. We did not end up using the coupon. We had hoped we could use it to get a massage, but that was not possible. We heard that the water taxi excursion to see El Arco and Lover's Beach was worthwhile.

We went into the town of Cabo San Lucas and walked around the marina area. Found out later from the Expedia guy that one can park all day in the mall there for $1.20, we parked at an outdoor parking spot and it was more like $7 or $8.

The grounds crew do a marvelous job of keeping the beautiful cactus and coconut trees well manicured. They will go up in the coconut trees to harvest the coconuts and offer them to guests. They will cut the bottom flat, so it can rest on a table, and cut off the top and insert a straw.

The resort seemed one third capacity while we were there, and that suited us just fine. We were a bit unsure about who and how much to tip. We took a good supply of US dollar bills with us for tipping. Thanks to reading through the TripAdvisor comments we knew to bring the $1 bills and followed a suggestion to tip the maid service and left a note asking for extra water.

The front desk gave us the activity schedule, and meal schedule.

We were not interested in the time share presentation of Le Club, and were approached three times, but they were not pushy and aggressive. We have sat through several timeshare presentations (in other locations) that promise to be such and such number of minutes, but can drag on to 2 or 3 hours. We are curious to know how much a timeshare costs and is it one week every year, or what? But we are not curious enough to sign up for the timeshare presentation, and our vacation time is too precious for us to waste.

Just a simple suggestion for Holiday Inn Resort. We think it would be helpful to have stations for returning room service trays out in the hallways.

Room Tip: First floors have hammocks, but are more expensive. Pick a room nearest the pool that fits your lif...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive? Share your experiences!