“Beautiful hotel, incredible location, decent service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Westin Resort & Spa Los Cabos

You added Westin Resort & Spa Los Cabos to your Saves list
Westin Resort & Spa Los Cabos
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Carretera Transpeninsular Km 22.5, San Jose del Cabo 23400, Mexico   |
Ranked #17 of 37 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Manhattan Beach, California
“Beautiful hotel, incredible location, decent service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2009

I travelled to the Westin Cabo with my wife and one year old in March 2009. The hotel itself is spectacular. The hotel is designed to remind guest of the natural arches in Cabo and is quite an architectural wonder.
Check-in is quick and efficient with a complimentary drink. The resort is large so it may take at least 1 elevator (and maybe 2) to get to one's room. The rooms are well appointed, the beds very comfortable and each room has an ocean facing balcony. The bathrooms are nice with a separate tub and shower.
The fitness center is very nice and there is complimentary wifi in the public areas and near the pools.
The pools are very nice. There is one adults only pool with a swim-up bar, but the rest of the pools are kid friendly and there are a lot of kids. Unfortunately, there is only one "pure" kiddie pool but it is not heated and is located in a part of the resort that is almost always shaded so the water can be cool. There are plenty of poolside chairs, but, this hotel permits guest to "reserve" chairs so someguest will leave towels/books on choice seats by about 6am. Not really cool, but it happens. The beachside chairs are also nice. The beach is clean and beautiful. There are a number of rocky outcroppings which harbor neat tidepools. The hotel looks out over the Sea of Cortez and when we were there, we saw whales daily.
There are several restaurants that are overpriced but the quality of food is better than average. The breakfast buffet is quite good and a good value. The other nice touch is that every night between 6-8 they have a tequilla tasting with nachos and quesadillas as they show old Mexican movies on the side of the hotel. The sushi is good but a bit expensive.
The hotel is closer to San Jose del Cabo than Cabo San Lucas and SJC is the more "Mexican" of the two. We enjoyed it immensely. The hotel has a shuttle that goes to town for $10 per person RT, taking a taxi was 35-40 RT. There are great restaurants in SJC and it is only about 10-15 minutes away so it provides a nice break from the hotel.
The only facet of our stay that prevents me from giving the hotel 5 stars is the service is average to above average. I had to call 5 times in order to get a crib for our baby, 2 times for a high chair. For some reason, they didnt replace our towels so we can to call for fresh towels. And, the coffee for our in-room coffee machine was never replaced. Are these deal-breakers? No, but probably little things that would have made a small difference.
Security is not an issue here, we felt totally safe. And as a testament to this security (and the honesty of the employees), I accidentally left my camera on the hotel shuttle and had it returned to me within 1/2 hour. That was very nice and well appreciated.
In summary, I think this is a wonderful hotel to stay with one's family. The hotel itself, its perks, the ocean front rooms, the security, and the beach are really remarkable for the price. I would stay here on my next return to Cabo but would hope that the service would match the quality of the actual hotel.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
NYC, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2009

this is a beautiful hotel. I don't see how anyone couldn't think so. It had beautiful architecture and the beach is steps away, plus there are a couple of very nice pools. It looks like every room has an ocean view + balcony. The rooms are spacious. However, because the hotel is huge, you have to take steps and/or various elevators everywhere, so be warned. Also, the hotel is located in between the cities of San Jose and Los Cabos, which is great if you want a totally self contained hotel, but not if you want to go explore the city on a daily basis or get food outside of the hotel. And if you're watching your spending, you will want to get food outside of the hotel because every entree seems to start at $20. What happened to Mexico being inexpensive??? Not this Mexico. The private cab ride from the Westin to the hotel costs $65 US (I think the shuttle might be $11 or $13/person or something like that). But I do think it costs $90 from the airport if you're trying to get to Cabo! (the return cab will be cheaper). Then it will cost you $30 each way to get to Cabo for a day trip, because while you can book events at the Westin, you have to go to Cabo if you want to rent jet skiis ($100/person/1 hour) or perform other activities. For a resort hotel that is pretty expensive, it would've been nice if they had complementary sunscreen perhaps (instead I had to pay $16 to buy sunscreen at the hut by the pool because I ran out). Then I had to pay $20 to rent 2 tennis rackets (free if you bring your own). Then, even if you want to use in-room phone, it costs $6 to use a calling card! The gym though is very nice and is free. Because it's very hard to get out of the hotel, it would've been nice if their food prices would've been a little better, although I did find the hotel portions to be very generous and the food to be quite good, and an added bonus is that I didn't get sick at all, so I think the food is well prepared and stored. However, there are only 1 or 2 restaurants that are open for breakfast and lunch.

Overall this is a very nice hotel, but generally I found Cabo (and this hotel) to potentially be rather expensive if you don't watch your spending closely.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
Munich, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2009

We went for a five day trip to Los Cabos and stayed at the Westin. The property is beautiful, modern and has an unexpected architecture. Everything is very clean, nicely maintained and the staff is very helpful and friendly.

One downside though is the food: The restaurants at the hotel are all (we tried them) bad and/or boring. The Western/Mexican food is bland, boring, uninspired and overpriced. Also, there is nothing close to the hotel so one can´t easily escape and if you do not want to drive for 20 minutes or more, you are stuck with their options. We were very disappointed by an overpriced and simply boring "high-end" restaurant, bad (I think even risky-to-my-health) seafood, greasy poolside food, outrageously expensive and bad cocktails and typical US-style buffets. We would return but rent a car to go to San Jose for food - every meal!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2009

We just returned from a trip to hell staying at the Westin. They put us in a room that smelled sewage for the first four days of our stay. They rarely left us towels or shampoo and we had to call the front desk for these items every single afternoon. The front desk finally (when the hotel emptied after January 1st) moved us to the main building and at least the smell disappeared there but the housekeeping problems remained. The only plus is the setting which is unique in Cabos.

Traveler's tip on dining

Rent a car and eat outside the hotel area. Taquerias are great not only in quality but fairly reasonable in price.

• Liked — Setting
  • Disliked — Service
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2009

Stayed at Westin Los Cabos Dec 18-24. As a frequent Westin guest, I was not disappointed with the quality and cleanliness of the property. A very large, sprawling resort. Stayed in a Junior Suite in the Royal Beach Club, which was a very nice room and Club access was great with small buffet breakfast and cocktails and snacks from 5-7 PM daily. Staff very helpful. Great tennis courts and decent gym. My one complaint is the consistent and annoying pool etiquette practiced by many guests, with a complete lack of management by the property. By 7 AM, most of the pool chairs were "reserved" by putting towels down, and many of these patrons did not show up until noon, if at all. I find this practice both extremely selfish, and frustrating for those that want to utilize the facility. Who do these people think they are? THe property does nothing to manage this issue. Property is slightly overpriced for food. All in all, a stunning property, with minor inconveniences. Should not be considered a Category 5 property by Starwood, this is a Cat 4.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Carlsbad, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2008

We flew to Cabo for a relaxing family vacation with my parents and 2 children. We used our SPG points and stayed at the club level that included a full buffet breakfast and cocktails and appetizers from 5 - 7 each night. The Kids Club was free too. WOW!!! Service was amazing! Nice staff, clean rooms, the wait staff at the pool was always around and very helpful. It was the best vacation I've had with my family in a long time. The food was a little expensive but remember breakfast and happy hour are free for 6 people. They helped us schedule an ATV trip on the beach right there at the pool. There was mnay other options available. We did go into Cabo forone day. We had dinner at The Office --- yummy! Worth every penny!

• Liked — The overall amazing customer service from the entire staff
  • Disliked — The food was a little too expensive
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Westin Los Cabos from October 5-12, 2008. The property boasts interesting architecture and a stunning view of the sea. The rooms were clean and quiet and the staff was as helpful as we needed them to be. The landscaping was really pretty and there was full sun all but 1 day we were there due to Hurricane Norbert. There are a lot of stairs on the property, which we really didn't mind, but heard others in our group mention. It just seems to take a long time to walk anywhere on the property, there aren't really direct routes from any Point A to any Point B. The pools were not under any construction while we were there, and there were always chairs and umbrellas available. The beach was black-flagged during our entire stay, and there is a "lifeguard" there to keep you from even getting your toes wet in the surf. We found the food at the Westin to be good, but very expensive. We enjoyed the breakfast buffet every morning and never went away hungry. It's the standard buffet you've had at any other nice resort with cooked to order omelets, fresh fruits & juices, waffles, potatoes, and bacon, etc. We had room service a couple times and found it to be tasty with rather large portions. There is a big plate of fruit set out by the pool bar in the afternoon that you can grab a snack off of. Also, they offer bottled water in your room, but it's insanely expensive, so we went to the "deli" that is located in the Westin vacation home area and purchased identical bottles of water for $2 a bottle rather than the $8 they charge in your room. There is a Costco, Sam's Club, and also a WalMart on the way to Cabo if you want to stop there for anything. I did take part in a spa package that included a body wrap, facial, manicure & pedicure and was unfortunately quite disappointed. Having formerly worked at a spa, and being a patron of spa treatments regularly, I like to think that when I go on vacation, the spa visit will be a highlight and at least as good as I can get at home, but this was not the case. My husband and I did enjoy a couples massage though, we thought the massage therapists did a good job. However, my husband was really uncomfortable being paraded all over both levels of the spa and through the fitness center in his spa-issued bathrobe and slippers. We did head into Cabo a few times and really enjoyed Lorenzillo's for dinner (twice) which offered fabulous steaks & lobster. We also visited Cabo Dolphins where we swam with dolphins which was a lot of fun. I would definately do that again. My husband is a scuba diver & said the diving in Cabo was great. We went into San Jose one day and happened upon a wonderful little American-owned micro brewery called Baja Brewing Company where we had great pizza & some unique beers. All in all, the Westin was a fine place to stay. Certainly not the nicest place I've been, but I was aware going into it that we weren't staying at the Ritz. As long as the rooms are clean, you can get a warm shower and a comfy bed, and you aren't going hungry, what's not to love about a sunny vacation in Mexico?

• Liked — The view!
  • Disliked — Cost of food & beverages
  • Stayed October 2008
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Westin Resort & Spa Los Cabos? Share your experiences!