“Westin & semi joined time share property” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Westin Resort & Spa Los Cabos

Save Saved
You added Westin Resort & Spa Los Cabos to your Saves list
Westin Resort & Spa Los Cabos
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Carretera Transpeninsular Km 22.5, San Jose del Cabo 23400, Mexico   |
Novi, Michigan
“Westin & semi joined time share property”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

In December of 2012 I stayed at the Westin's former sister club, Raintree. It was located to the right if facing the Westin from the beech. My friends & I stayed in 2 separate rooms/suites. My room had one large bedroom, a king size bed & jacuzzi. There was a separate adjoined room with a full kitchen, bathroom and pull out couch. Our suite, situated on the 1st level, was perfect for viewing the beach, ocean, sunrise and activity.

The hospitality from the staff was friendly, helpful and seemed sincere/natural. The multiple pools provided a nice variety. The adult pool allowed us to whale watch daily while being spoiled by a fantastic bartender. His drinks kept us almost too happy!

The location was perfect for me, allowing daily scenic walks on the beach while being able to visit a few other hotels. The Hilton was approximately 3/4 of a mile down the beech so we could try other restaurants and not be confined to just a few options. It was difficult to swim often in the ocean directly in front of the hotel due to the strong currents. However we did find a cove safe for swimming with lifeguards.

The meals at the hotel were fine.

Room Tip: Request a balcony or terrace.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

929 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
Springfield, Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

I am a starwood member and usually happy with my stays at Westin properties. With this property ranked with their highest rating, I expected it to really plush with excellent service but it couldn't be further from my expectations. The staff was awful, front desk, restaurant wait staff and maid service included. The property is about 20 minutes from town and they know it. The food is grossly overpriced and a mixed drink cost me 210 pesos ($16.15 US). Really? I think it will be a long time until I am ready to give Starwood property anymore of my money.

Gibraltar
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

arriving at the Westin I loved the architecture and the colours and the maintenance,
but with checking in came the first dissapointments ( a bracelet yes) 2 seconds later it was removed. I got my key and was told if you go right, left, 2 floors down, follow the corridor, up to the 7th floor you will be find your room. Is a bit complicated because my gps was in my suitcase, who took another hour to arrive in my room 1727 (when a gps get lost it is serious) or just super crowded (only with groups of conference people) rooms are really not what you would expect at a Westin, a bit run down, needs major work needs to be done) I was on the Starwood floor as a gold for life preferred guest, but still even with my gps I was not able to find the lounge for breakfast and hors d'ouvre. I left after one night and bad surprise i had to pay an extra night for early departure.
So ppl don.t go there if you expect 5 star Westin, because you will be really disappointed, and it is also so far away from Cabo San Lucas. I moved to another hotel and don.t reget it a second to leave the Westin.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I just returned from a 10 day stay at the hotel. I have stayed at this resort before and normally stay at high quality hotels and resorts when traveling. The bottom line is that this is a beautiful property that struggles from neglect and poor management and it certainly impacts your vacation.

The property, as others have mentioned, is stunning. The rooms are spacious (although the shower is very weak) and you can leave the window open at night and listen to the waves. The beach is fantastic, but it's when you begin to walk the beach and visit the other hotels that you know the Westin has some serious problems.

The biggest problem with this hotel is that management and the staff do not really know what the customer wants. This hotel is full of American/Canadian tourists who are trying to relax for a week. The pool was the biggest problem where the staff put huge speakers out on the bar at roughly 11 AM each day and started BLASTING rap music. I am in my mid-20's and enjoys bars and such, but this was not the right music to be playing at the pool. It was impossible to read with the throbbing noise in the background and many guests complained to no avail. Even worse, the bar staff let obviously hammered guests turn the music up louder and plug-in their own iPods at times - get some headphones!! The worst part was that the staff had the same playlist on, in the same order daily and after day 2-3, you know which song is coming next and they keep playing them over and over again. Things were so loud that I would go up to my room on the 8th floor (one below the top) and could hear Miley Cyrus from my bathroom before I showered!

The pool staff worked hard at times, depending on who you had, but their utter neglect, especially at the bar, for guest requests was appalling. I watched people complain all week only for the staff to turn the music down for 5 minutes and then back up even louder. Worse, for families that had kids at the pool, hearing indiscriminate profanity and crime themes at the pool must have been puzzling. What happened to Bob Marley, Jimmy Buffett or just listening to the waves?

In the Royal Beach Club, the staff works extremely hard, but again, they play the same 14 track CD over and over again each morning and afternoon. Irritating!

Even more frustrating is the fact that the internet is terrible and constantly forces you to sign on even during a session on your computer. As you make the long journey to the lobby from your room, you discover that you need to sign in again and again in the lobby while waiting for your car/taxi. Terrible!

Other things are obviously lacking at this hotel. The restaurant is extremely average and the food outside the hotel is way better. The Cantina is a joke (they didn't even have New Year's Day bowl games on), uncomfortable and embarrassing. They only had one pool cue when we tried to play and the air hockey game is so loud that you have to leave if someone is playing it. Our group of 12 decided to go to the Hilton nearby to watch the bowl games proving that hotel management is too dumb to realize the revenue possibility of showing big sporting events at the bar of all places. We similarly went to Esperanza to watch the National Championship game where the staff set up a huge projector screen.

The workout facility is terrible if you like to lift weights and features old machines that are rusty and hard to maneuver. The concierge is also difficult to reach and is not too knowledgeable regarding the best eats in town.

Also, the architecture of the hotel is beautiful to look at, but a maze to navigate. Depending on the elevator bay, you need to get off at floor 3, 2, 1 etc... and the resort of full of guests doing abrupt about-faces once they've realized that they're going to wrong way. There is a HUGE area in the middle of the hotel that is simply wasted space. Overall, the public areas in the hotel are average, but it's about time for a $15MM face-lift. There are simply too many other hotels passing this one by.

So, do any of these things take away from your vacation? Yes and no. We still had a great time and were able to relax, but discerning travelers recognize the small touches that make or break their stays and they certainly have an impact. I know that you can't compare the hotel in terms of price or quality to the 5 star Las Ventanas, One&Only or Esperanza, but the Westin is a high quality hotel brand and there is no excuse for not paying attention to the details. When your head is throbbing at the pool after hearing "I'm in my ZONE, I'm in my ZONE" and "Vodka, I want some vodka" over and over again, you start to think about where you would stay next time in Cabo.

Room Tip: The beach club is worth it, it will save you $ on food. Don't eat dinner at the hotel! If you...
Brisbane
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Stayed here for a few nights on my way home from Vegas.
An amazing view of the beach from my room, but everything else was an average experience.
Nothing significant to complain about....just wasn't blown away. I was a little annoyed at breakfast with the staff hovering over me every minute.
Distance from Cabo San Lucas is not good.....choices to get into town are $28 taxi or a $2 local bus. If you get the bus....which I did....you have to walk all the way up to the main road as the hotel sits on the waterfront. Locals were lovely on the bus. About a 20 min trip into town.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

We just returned from 7 days at the Westin. After reading the reviews from other travelers, I can say it's all true. Where to start:
1. The staff were exceptional. The staff at the beach were attentive. We always had someone rush to help us get chairs and umbrellas, or to order food. Cheers to all of the them. We had access to the Royal Beach Club. The staff there for breakfast and the afternoon were just as exceptional. Can't say enough nice things about them. The front desk staff were nice, and bellman were nice. Everyone was very helpful.
2. The beach is very nice. Clean and quiet. Only problem is the water is so rough that it's not always safe to go in the water. Especially for kids. As a result there were no water sports or activities at the hotel.
3. The layout of the hotel is a maze. Depending on the elevator you get off at a different floor. Signs were not overly helpful (You'll see!). There are ramps, and stairs, oh so many stairs. But they can be avoided if you know the secrets. It took me 5 days to find some of them. And even upon departure, I couldn't figure out the right elevator floors to get on.
4. The food at the beach restaurant is good. Not great, but good.. The food at the rest of the hotel is marginal. This was our big issue. We felt we had to leave the hotel every night to get a decent meal. And when you leave the hotel, and take taxis, it gets very expensive.
5. Our room was clean, but it had two double beds. That's not much room for two people in each (we were a family of four). Not sure why they don't have larger beds.
6. The views were exceptional. We woke up to the ocean, heard the waves crashing all day and night.
7. The shower was a joke. They replaced the shower head with a handheld, but they mounted it in such a way that you had to be relatively short to fit under the shower head. I am 6 feet tall and had to bend my knees to shower.
8. The sports bar is sort of a joke too. The chairs are not comfortable. We had trouble sitting through a basketball game. You would think they should make them as comfortable as possible. The food was really marginal there too.
9. We felt very safe on the property. There was always a security person checking the cabs that pulled in and out, making sure we didn't forget anything in the cab.
10 Concierge - tried to help but not very successful. Didn't know there was a price discount for kids at the restaurants. Showed us the wrong menu for one of the restaurants at the hotel. But they did so with a smile - so who can fault them.
So in the end, not sure what to say. I would go back for the service. I would go back for the beach. But then again I would not go back because of the restrictions on going in the ocean. I would not go back for the food. I would rent a car. I would I would I would.

In the end, we are rested, tan and content. Sorry can't be more definitive on whether we would return; but there should be enough here to help you out.

Room Tip: If you are traveling with multiple family members, a double bed is NOT big enough for two people to...
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

I don't know where to begin. Yes, this is a beautiful property. The rooms are spacious and the beach is beautiful. I'm an experienced and discriminating traveler and I've stayed here before, but it is clear that this hotel has lost a step. Let's start with the pool. Should the bartenders really control the music selections? I'm not a prude, but did my family really need a steady dose of rap music featuring repeated use of the words "f--k, s--t and n-gg-r?? At a Westin hotel? And should drunk guests have had access to the volume controls so that they could crank the music so loud that conversation at poolside became impossible? Cheezy for a hotel at this level. Oh, and could you afford to have more than 10 or 12 songs so that they don't have to repeat over and over all day long? In my sleep I now know that Lady Gaga was "Born This Way" since I have heard it at least 10 times a day for over a week. Some adult needs to be in charge here, not the bartenders. Walk down to the Las Ventanas down the beach and enjoy the beautiful sounds of latin jazz at their very relaxing pool. Watching the bar staff referee arguments between guests over music volume and selection was not fun. For many people the pool area is where they spend most of their resort vacation----I wouldn't stay here until the hotel can assure a pleasant pool experiece. The property itself is beauiful, but is so architecturally clever that it creates huge wasted spaces that require long walks to get anywhere. Also, there is no central gathering place for cold or rainy days. The lobby is a long hike from the rooms and the lobby itself has only a few seats and no food or drink service. The only gathering places near the rooms and water is La Cantina, one of the all time dumpiest bars I have ever seen. Have you guys ever heard of big-screen tv's? Most of your guests are from the US---just a reality--and most Americans do not watch the soccer that is typically on the screen, perhaps for the benefit of the bartenders. The chairs are uncomfortable, the room is poorly decorated, the crappy air hockey game rarely works and as a result few people are ever in this room. And don't come here for a spa experience. While the massages are fine, the facility is shabby. And the gym has lousy views and ancient, rickety, weight machines. Oh, and if you play to use the internet here, you better have lots of patience. You will need to sign on over and over to get connected. They claim to have upgraded their internet since I was here a year ago, but the difference is hard to find. So much for staying here if you're a business person that needs to stay connected. Is this the best you can do? This is not a horrible hotel, it just could be so much better and is not what you expect when you it is flagged as a Westin. Whoever is in charge of managing the guest experience is totally our of touch with what resort travelers are seeking.

Room Tip: Rooms ending in 33 are next to incredibly noisy ice machines.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Westin Resort & Spa Los Cabos? Share your experiences!