“Quaint and friendly” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Tropicana Inn

You added Tropicana Inn to your Saves list
Tropicana Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Blvd. Mijares Centro Historico | Colonia Centro, San Jose del Cabo 23400, Mexico   |
Ranked #15 of 37 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
West Kelowna, Canada
“Quaint and friendly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Tropicana Inn for 4 nights. Although the hotel is small, it's very charming. We had to wrap our heads around being away from some of the mega resorts we've stayed at before. We enjoyed visiting with the other guests by the pool, many who have been coming to the hotel for several years. Great to hear tips and tricks for local travel. The staff were very kind and accomodating. Had the best massage I have had in years... highly recommend the spa services. The restaurant attached is fantastic as well. Great location that allows you to step out your door and explore the town. Free, secure parking on site as well.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
tropicanainn, Director de Recepción at Tropicana Inn, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
thank you very much for your comments here at the hotel we work very hard to make your stay as plessant as possible

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Bothell, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

My wife and I just returned from 10 days in Los Cabos. Our first 7 days were spent at Villa Del Arco in San Lucas and it was just perfect. Once again, the staff at VDA were super accommodating and were always a pleasure.

Our last 3 days were spent in San Jose del Cabo. On our prior trip, we stayed at Cabo Azul and it was heavenly. The grounds, staff and experience were, bar none, the best ever. We had the opportunity to have dinner at Tropicana Inn in the central district while we were there in 2010 and the food and experience were also, very attractive.

So, this trip, we decided to stay at Tropicana Inn. It was a little confusing on how to actually get into the hotel. Normally, you enter from the main street, but have to go through the restaurant, go outside, down some stairs, around a corner to a very non-descript front office. But the main entrance to the hotel are on a side street. Weird, but, ok.

The stay was fair. The big attraction, really, is the courtyard pool area. Unfortunately, the swim up bar was closed and the pool was full of garbage. I mean, dead leaves, bugs bird feathers, etc. It was pretty gross, actually. Like they had not cleaned the pool in weeks.

Upon our check out, we were greeted by a sweet desk agent. There she showed us our itemized bill and all was good. During this process, there was another gal in the lobby, lurking in the back on a hand radio chatting with other staff around the facility. After we paid our bill she walks over to us and says "Excuse me, but there is a wash cloth missing from your room" My wife and I looked at each other and were like, "OK.... And?" The gal with the radio said "Well, you will have to pay for the missing towel" I said, "No, we are not paying for a missing towel" This went on and on and we finally agreed to cut our losses and pay for the stupid thing to shut her up.

At this point, the professional gal behind the counter (I will leave her name out so she does not get singled out by Tropicana's hench men) behind the counter was really embarrassed. We paid the $5.00 USD for the wash cloth and the gal with the radio comes back to us and says, "Excuse me, but there seems to be some blood stain on your sheets, is it your blood?" And we were like, "What the [--]?" Meanwhile, the coward of a hotel manager is lurking behind a doorway coaching the gal with the radio, not showing his face. We were like, are you kidding me? This is such [--].. We went back and forth and after humiliating my wife and I in the hotel lobby and the fact we were going to miss our flight, we paid $65 USD for a sheet that we never saw.

So, an additional $70 USD must have been worth the bad review I am writing at this point, because we did tell them that we would let the world know, on Trip Advisor, that key members of their staff acted in an unprofessional, dishonest manor.

We will never return to Tropicana Inn, EVER. And I hope all of you that are reading this, take your travel business elsewhere. We have been traveling to part of Mexico for 8 years now and have never had such a poor experience.

As for the young, professional gal behind the counter, she was the only human on the staff that acted professional and honest. The hotel manager could get a few pointers from her.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Milan, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

What I liked most:
- location, just in the center of San Jose, within walking distance from everything
- room: very clean, comfy bed, nice bathroom in Mexican style
- the pool: fantastic, surrounded by a quiet garden
- staff: helpful and nice

What I didn't like:
- Breakfast: very poor

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

A very nice clean, friendly hotel. The grounds are very pretty around the attractive pool. This is not a resort, but to stay here for a night or two while exploring would be very worthwhile. PS I believe the restaurant may be worth passing up, however I did not eat there myself. My impression was there are less expensive eateries close by that are of high quality.

Room Tip: very nice pool
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Milan, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Been here in low season (august), with few people around and few people in the hotel. Tropicana Inn is nice, very quiet (far from the street), with a pool in the court. Rooms are big and clean, staff friendly and helpful. WiFi works well. I didn't appreciate the included continental breakfast, that could be better.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

I stayed here for one night after I flew into Cabo San Jose. I was by myself - my husband picked me up the next day - and I felt completely comfortable here. This hotel has years of history and charm and you really feel it when you're here. The rooms are done in a traditional Mexican style with bright colored spreads on the bed. The room was very clean. Not luxurious, but quite comfortable. I had a room on the main level looking out over the pool and it was very nice.

I was never able to get internet although the hotel did say they had free WiFi. When I asked about it, I was told that they'd been having problems with it. No big deal for me, but I know some of the guests were a bit upset. I think this was just temporary, however.

I loved sitting by the pool. It was very comfy with big lounge chairs. One of the women had a massage while I was there - they do it poolside in a cabana - and she really enjoyed it. It was quite reasonably priced. I was able to order a drink and read poolside and it was so nice. The people were friendly and were always asking if I needed anything at all.

I had dinner there that night and I found it delightful. The food was great - I had shrimp that was caught locally because it was in season - and it had perfect flavors. I sat inside at a small table and enjoyed the live music they had - it was a family singing traditional Mexican songs. Not something I usually listen to, but it was perfect for the atmosphere. I ordered a margarita and it was delicious.

The next morning, the hotel offered free breakfast, but I discovered that they only include fruit, muffin and juice, so I ordered an egg and tea. The extra made for a perfect start to the day and it wasn't expensive.

This is really a nice location - you can get a shuttle from the airport for a reasonable price (taxis are too over-priced) and then walk around in the small shops in the old part of Cabo San Jose. It's really very lovely and I enjoyed that night to relax and unwind after traveling.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the pool if you want to be close to the restaurant and the pool. If there...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Red Deer, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Stayed at the tropicana for one night on our way to Los Cabo.
Very clean hotel.
Staff was extremely friendly. My wife and I wanted a beer...we popped into the office and minutes later a waiter arrived asking if we needed anything.
Small pool.
Great for a night or two.
Location is perfect.
I think a person may run out of things to do after a few days.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Tropicana Inn? Share your experiences!