“Beautiful hotel with great dining” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Tropicana Inn

Save Saved
You added Tropicana Inn to your Saves list
Tropicana Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Blvd. Mijares Centro Historico | Colonia Centro, San Jose del Cabo 23400, Mexico   |
Ranked #18 of 39 hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Whittier, California
“Beautiful hotel with great dining”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

I really loved staying at this beautiful little hotel in the heart of downtown San Jose del Cabo. The staff and friendly and helpful. The food in the restaurant is amamzing. I will definitely go back to this great hotel. The location is great and it is about 20 minutes from Cabo San Lucas.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

160 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

This little place is a breath of fresh air in so many ways. You are in the middle of tiny San Jose del Cabo....but u feel miles away from everything. Great value and a really wonderful find. Close to shops, restaurants and bars!

• Stayed May 2013
Hamilton, MT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

We have eaten at the restaurant for lunch and dinner and the food is really great. Reasonably priced, authentic food. Each time we have had dinner there, a Mariachi band has played and sang. They are really good!

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Silicon Valley, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

We stopped at the Tropicana Inn for lunch, before catching our return flight to California. I ordered a mocajete and my daughter ordered filet mignon. The mocajete was delicious and served with freshly rolled flour tortillas. My daughter's filet mignon not thoroughly cooked, despite her request that it be prepared "medium." The server returned it to the kitchen and brought it back "well done." It was flavorful and excellent after further cooking.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Tropicana is ideally located for the Art Walk and the Estuary, both of which were highlights of San Jose del Cabo, and a comfortable 30 minute stroll from the beautiful beach. There is plenty of shopping, people watching, and nature in close proximity. The Inn's interior courtyard is a pleasure as well, with a large pool, lots of palm trees and native flowers, and stocked with parrots and parakeets (in cages of course, but chattering happily; including a parakeet and its two eggs). Free wifi pool side was welcome, but you'll laugh when they hand you a small paper with the password, smaller than a post-it arrow! As I sat reading one evening in a red shirt, a hummingbird even hovered over my arm, resting its nectar-sucking beak on my arm! The service was effusive and helpful. The rooms standard and clean (the only reason I'd give this a 4 instead of a 5).

We had no concern with construction noise or sewer smell as some of the older reviews did.

The highlight of the hotel may be its restaurant, where we had one of the most interesting and satisfying meals of our lives, and enjoyed excellent live music, all for a price that you couldn't touch in the United States.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

My esposa and I stayed at the Tropicana Inn for one week, February 25-march 5th. This was my second stay at the Tropicana, I was here for one week in 1998, It was nice to be back. The hotel is as good as I remembered it, only updated. The restaurant/ bar area was once a sports bar, now it is an upscale restaurant. the hotel section is a beautiful oasis in the middle of San Jose Del Cabo. It is located within walking distance to everything in San Jose, just down the street from the town square. Lots of great restaurants close by. The walk along the Estuary to the beach is very nice, lots of birds to see along the way.
The staff at the Tropicana Inn were excellent, especially, Marco, the manager, and Caroline, at the front desk. They were both very helpful, and Caroline helped us arrange some tours, and rent a Jeep. It was my birthday during our stay, and the management left us a very nice fruit plate in our room! Thank you both very much!
The entertainment was excellent as well, make sure to see the Cuban band, Tuesdays, and Thursday evenings!
The pool area is very nice, we spent lots of time in the warm water of the pool, as we found the ocean unusually cold. My only issue was there was no bar service at the pool, and the wet bar was closed..We usually brought our drinks to the pool, as we had a fridge for cervesas, and water.
A very nice place to relax! I would be happy to come back to the Tropicana every birthday!
Do yourself a favor, and enjoy a small hotel like the Tropicana Inn, instead of the all inclusives, you will be glad you did!
The people of San Jose are very friendly, and will go out of their way to make sure you feel welcome. We felt very safe, and at home!

Room Tip: Junior suite at the back corner of the hotel is very spacious, overlooking the pool/courtyard.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Mexico City, Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

As first time visitors to Cabo, we were not aware of the difference between San Jose and Los Cabos, proper. This hotel is situated in the quaint colonial downtown area. The downtown area has many wonderful restaurants and art galleries, all within a short walk from the hotel. The hotel has a respectable restaurant with good service too.

I have never stayed in a hacienda style hotel before. It was cute. Our room (like all others faced the courtyard which had a pool. A local massage parlor also has a tent where many guest were getting manicures, pedicures and short massages.

In the evenings there's a gas fireplace for you to sit around and relax. On the side of the courtyard is a large suite. It looked nice as I peered inside.

The hotel also has a lot of birds/bird cages on property. I saw some of the guests take the parrot out and play with him. No one (parrot included) seemed to mind.

The rooms were fine. Clean and comfortable. The hotel isn't far from the airport. My recommendation, if you decide to stay here, is to rent a car. The beach, golf courses and other side of Los Cabos are not close. While I was told there was public transportation, we relied on taxis (conversion vans are the mode of transportation around Cabo) to get around. It added up quickly--$50 USD to go whale watching, golfing or dinner. Something to consider. I was a little surprised the hotel didn't have a shuttle or van, but perhaps other guest are either aware that you need a car, or don't find the taxi fees outrageous. For us, it added about $100/day to our vacation expenses. And while the hotel was fine for a one-time visit, I would prefer not to rent a car and stay someplace where I can walk next time.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Tropicana Inn? Share your experiences!