“A Great Place for Breakfast Too!!!!” 4 of 5 stars

Boulevard Mijares 30, San Jose del Cabo, Mexico
(624) 142-1580
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Large groups, Doing business, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
San Clemente, California
“A Great Place for Breakfast Too!!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

I love eating at theTropicana for breakfast! One reason I like eating here is the location. The tropicana is located near the main square which is the center of San Jose del Cabo. This area is great for shopping. The Tropicana is located on the Main Street and it's so nice to eat and watch what going on in the area! Now about the food at the Tropicana. The menu is extensive with both gringo and Mexican style cooking. I always order a Mexican breakfast here and it's great. I love the chiliquelies with red sauce with egg turned over easy with refried beans with a dry crumbling cheese on top along with rice and corn tortillas. The combination of the dish is something I want everyone to try! My girl friend had the gringo breakfast. She ordered the cinnamon French toast with bacon. I tried a bite or too and I loved it! I like cinnamon so this was a hit for me! The next time I am in town I'm heading back here for breakfast. I hope everyone visiting San Jose del Cabo will stop by and give it a try! Enjoy it!!!! See you on the next review!

Visited October 2013

Saint Louis, Missouri, United States
“Mexican experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

We walked from the Town Square. Took a turn instead of going straight so we went too far. The Inn has a large outdoor sidewalk cafe and an inviting indoor restaurant. Because it was so hot, we ate indoors. Service was quick. Frozen margaritas were refreshing but not spectacular. Traditional dishes were satisfying as the portions were quite generous.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Vancouver
“Fabulous Sunday Brunch Buffet”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

We had a fabulous Sunday Brunch at the Tropicana and would highly recommend it. The food was wonderful with great variety, the atmosphere 'old Mexico' and the service was impeccable. We will plan on a brunch here for every trip.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
New Jersey
“Authentic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

My family and I just completed our meal at the Tropicana Inn & Restaurant. What a lovely experience! We sat outside in the covered patio in front of the hotel. The seating is comfortable and it is a great place to people watch, and enjoy this laid back little town. There is little traffic so you are sucking fumes or listening to loud mufflers go by. The inside of the restaurant is really eclectic and well appointed (kind of an unexpected actually, with large plush sofas instead of booth seating.) The chile relleno was perfection and the tortilla soup is quite good. My husband asked if they had queso fundido since it was not on the menu, and the waiter said they would happily make it for him. It was delicious with sliced and ground chorizo in it. We will definetely return and happily endorse this restaurant.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Newport, Rhode Island
“Mexican Delight!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

My wife & I recently returned from San Jose del Cabo... after 'stumbling-upon' the "Tropicana" the day prior-to our departure. This restaurant is located in San Jose's "Old Town"... with both a covered 'outdoor-section' plus an 'indoor' restaurant & hotel.
Being so 'hot & humid', we were naturally looking for a place to eat that was 'well-shaded & inviting'. So when we chanced upon a 'covered-area'... beneath which several other tourists were obviously enjoying themselves... we promptly sat down. And our waiter... who masterfully attended to us both that day & 'the next'... was quick to turn-on a large standing-fan at my wife's request... with the immediate result being that 'NO flies' were able to bother us @ the table, the 'cool-air' soon making life 'once-again pleasurable'.
Our waiter, an older gentleman, was polite & charming... & promptly brought us menus & water. And so we relaxed immediately... savoring the 'peace & quiet' of the day, combined with the genuinely-comfortable surroundings.
Shortly thereafter, our waiter graciously took our orders... & we succumbed to the Tropicana's charms: eagerly awaiting our selections as quiet-conversation & wafting-smells of Mexican foods filled-the-air.
After a leisurely wait... which allowed the senses to take us back to years gone-by... our first-dishes arrived. And to say that they were 'absolutely-delicious' would be an understatement. In fact, everything we ordered was not only a 'gastronomic-delight', but served in a courteous & wholly-professional manner... which made us feel 'like royalty'.
We stayed there for perhaps two-hours... luxuriating in the fine care & service (& simple but sumptuous, exquisitely-prepared foods) in which we found ourselves deeply-immersed: 'cocoon-like' & utterly relaxed.
So it was with some sadness... once we'd finished our meals & paid the bill... that we prepared to depart. Because we truly could have just stayed... sitting there... for the 'rest-of-the-day'. As our waiter's gentleman-like manners, sincere cordiality & helpful nature had made this an experience we'll always treasure.
In fact, the food & service were so exceptional that we returned again the following day... for a 'late breakfast'... on-the-way to the Cabo San Lucas airport & "SFO".
One other point worthy of mention: we both had occasion to use the restaurant-hotel's 'restroom-facilities'... & both the Men's & Ladies' rooms were immaculately clean... FYI.
In reflection, I know we'll return to 'Cabo'... & our 'first-stop' (after 'check-in') will be at the Tropicana for the 'day's special': a small-slice of authentic, old-time Mexico that is sure to please.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere