“I Found God in a Taco” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Takeout
San Francisco, California
“I Found God in a Taco”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2009

I was extremely skeptical about this place. A tiny hole-in-the-wall that I would routinely pass. Even with great TripAdvisor reviews, once I got there I started to shake. Moreover, I also could not imagine that any good taco could be much better than any other good taco. Let me say something with no mental reservation whatsoever: my view of what a taco can be has been changed forever. FOREVER. Yes Gordo was charming, yes he has decent pitch. None of that matters. I had a fish taco and a shrimp taco. I nearly fell out of my cheap seat, pulled all the cheap tableclothes off the cheap tables, ripped the cheap decor from the walls and screamed "I've been saved. Thank God almighty."

Los Angeles
“I Agree”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2009

It was really not hard to find. Up Matmoros only slightly more than a block from the main road near the Marina on the right side.

taco's were Great. The Special Torta is huge and also very good and the beer was cold and the songs great.

He's open every day from about 8a-8p.

Bay Area, CA
“Have a taco or two and let Javier serenade you!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2009

We absolutely love Javier and his tacos. They are not your "American" style tacos - they are true "local style". If you want fancy, don't go here. If you want authentic, inexpensive and super duper tasty, then come visit Gordo Lele's, eat some wonderful food and listen to Javier sing you one of his favorite Beatles or other songs.

We were there at the end of January and our four tacos cost us only $60 pesos. At the current exchange rate, that's only around $4.30 total.

Graham, Washington
“Believe the Hype”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2009

My wife, three friends and I were in Cabo from 1/19-1/26…Thursday was the day to track down Javier. And see if 6 months of hearing about how his tacos can apparently part the sea and cure the sick were true. My friends: Believe the hype. The small shop was out of the way, but you could see the big, red sign from a block and a half away. There were two other couples there when the three of us walked in. Ordered 2 Chicken tacos and 1 Carne Asada. 2 Cokes and a beer. $160 pesos. That’s a little over 11 dollars, folks. Plus there was entertainment. We got “Yesterday” and “Let it Be”. Simply amazing. It was the best food we had in Cabo. It is a small time operation, just Javier in the place. But it's more than enough. It would be worth a trip to Cabo in itself just to have lunch at Gordo Lele's.

Illinois
“Great Tacos by Javier!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2009

We visited Cabo in January 2009 and had done quite a bit of research ahead of time to find local cuisine rather than chain restaurants or eating at the hotel only. We found this fantastic taco stand on trip advisor and are so happy we did. Javier is the owner and an awesome cook. At first glance we thought we were in the wrong place while trying to find it. But once we stepped inside we were so glad we did! The smell of freshly-made authentic food overcomes you as Javier welcomes you and takes your order. We had the fish tacos and steak tacos on our first visit and we loved them! They were so tasty that we made sure to return the next day for lunch to try the sandwiches. We never expected to have such wonderful food in such a small eatery. Everything we ate was above and beyond what we expected and the service was fantastic. Javier is a very genuine and generous person. On our last day there my husband went across the street and bought Javier a beer. In return Javier gave us a huge bottle of beer to enjoy. Every customer that we met had been there before and made it a point to visit this taco stand whenever they are in Cabo. I know that we will do the same!