“Many Disappointments This Time” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Casa Dorada Los Cabos

You added Casa Dorada Los Cabos to your Saves list
Casa Dorada Los Cabos
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   Av. Pescador S/N | Col. El Médano, Cabo San Lucas 23410, Mexico   |
Offers & Announcements
Complimentary bottle of wine
Ranked #16 of 68 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Calaveras County
“Many Disappointments This Time”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2010

We have enjoyed this place in the past and certainly the staff at the poolside bar and restaurant is amongst the top in the world. The rest of the story was a bit sad. First off it took them 15 minutes to find our reservation after immediately telling us that it couldn't be found in the system. This is not the first time that's happened. Our room assignment was pathetic given we had made the reservation 9 months in advance. The first morning the hot water in the shower was tepid at best even when turned all the way to hot. The water in the pool was warmer. I think they must turn the boiler off at night and fire it back up again at 8:00

I try to keep track of my business via the internet and this time the wireless connection was spotty at best and most of the time impractical to do what I needed to do. A conversation with the GM was somewhat meaningless as he told me they were about to fix the problem and that my next stay would be much better. (If there is one). My wife had to pay for the hardwired connection in their "business center" but at least she could get her email read in less than 45 minutes.

I'd still recommend staying here, but you should get a deal, because it's not quite worth what we have been paying.

It was nice to see it full this time during spring break.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
TheManagement01, General Manager at Casa Dorada Los Cabos, responded to this review, April 19, 2010
Dear DMenscha,

I thank you for your continued preference and for the wonderful comments on our staff and the pool-sice service.

Nevertheless, I am sorry to read that not all aspects of your stay were as should be expected of a luxury resort and I apologize for the shortcomings.

Let me assure you that we do not turn off our boilers at night, as it would hamper on everybody’s vacation and hot water should be available 24/7… that is a minimum expectation on any hotel, regardless of quality of service. I have shared this information with our Director of Maintenance and we will follow-up on this issue for your particular room.

I am sorry that you perceived our conversation as meaningless, as I had a different impression based on your positive comments and observations during it. Let me assure you that we are currently working in a solution to the low wireless internet signal on some of our rooms and it will be implemented shortly.

We thank your comments and I again apologize for the issues that you faced in this stay.

Regards,

Victor Gomez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (372)
Phoenix
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2010

We really enjoyed our time there, having said that we got sucked into a timeshare roll and it took 5 hours of our 4 day vacation. RUN don't walk from the "friendly" lobby folk. If you do get sucked in and give up $20 deposit.... let it go because there was no special deal worth wasting precious time.
Upside the pool conceirge Paco was awesome.

Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2010

We were so excited to stay here and had high expectations ~ Casa Dorada completely exceeded them. We were greeted by a friendly staff at the desk and upgraded from the 'web special' room to an amazing one bedroom suite on the ground floor over looking the beach. It was fantastic!! I can not wait to go back. I have been to Cabo numerous times and won't even consider staying anywhere else : )

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
Idaho
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2010

I booked travel thru Casa Dorada's booker GBS - I made the reservation in Oct. 2009. I book a Jr. Suite as three of us a sharing a room. (DON'T GO THRU THEM IF POSSIBLE !) The plan is to go shopping for breakfast & lunch and then eat dinner out each night. They took my money but would never send me a confirmation. I called every week and was told it was coming. Finally 2 days before my trip Feb. 10th The confirmation is Faxed to me. I'm ready for this vacation! The travel was great! US Airways from Boise to Phoenix then Phoenix to Los Cabos. I meet up with my friends at the airport and our driver is there to meet us Arturo who owns (TRANSLOBO) is wonderful book with him for sure translobo@gmail.com. We arrive at the hotel and go to check-in. My turn comes and I am asked to wait while the girl comes from around the desk and askes me to come with her. I am lead outside to a near by patio with chairs and asked to sit down.. Finally after some small talk I am told that GBS did not send my reservation until 2 days ago and there is no room for me at Casa Dorada! She just sits and watches my reacation!!! I say " So what are you going to do? I have already paid! She says they are going to put us up at their sister hotel next door. I'm not happy as I am here with a group of 6 friends. We were hoping to have suites next to eachother or at least close... I kept insisting that this is not good but they don't seem to care about my situation and just keep checking in other people around me.. I have finally had enough and ask them to at least pay for the taxi to get our luggage to the other hotel... Which after much discussion they do... Like it's my fault I'm going next door. We get to the hotel and yes it's also nice but the room is just a hotel room Not a suite with a kitchen...AND NO ROOM FOR 3 ADULTS WHO ARE NOT WANTING TO SLEEP IN THE SAME BED! I again go back to complain. Granted I am on vacation and do not want to let this ruin my stay so finally I get them to at least comp us breakfast for the 7 days... My friend who owns the timesahre at Casa Dorada is very upset since she invited us to all come and stay. I can say she told every person from the maid to one of the owners our troubles for the whole 7 days and everyone just smiled and said Sorry... I tried not to let it ruin my trip and I made the best of it but what a let down to have to deal with this when you paid and no one cares if you are pushed aside... We had decided not to go back to Casa Dorada. After all there are 1000's of other vacation destinations to visit...

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2010

We were fortunate enough to enjoy a friend's timeshare at Casa Dorada. The views from the rooms were breathtaking, especially the sunrises. The grounds were always clean as well as our room. The pools were orderly and clean as well. Suggest that you devise a plan to reserve chair/cabanas by the pool, as they go quickly. The staff monitor unoccupied reserved chairs. If they are empty for 30 minutes, the staff will remove your belongings. Understand the policy, though a bit frustrating. The staff was gracious overall.

The sales"force" for the timeshares were alittle irritating, though nothing different from other places that we have traveled to.

The kids club didn't seem fully utilized. I tried to take my 3 1/2 year old son there and they told me that they had to be atleast 4. Fortunately, my son befriended another boy, to which they occupied themselves. The other families vacationing at Casa Dorada were friendly as well.

Hope to travel back to Casa Dorada in the future.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2010

Our stay was delayed by a day due to weather, the staff was very helpful in adjusting the days of our stay. We received a free up grade to a one bed room suite and it was absolutely beautiful. The staff was very attentive and friendly. The location couldn't be better. Walking distance to town and the marina. The 12 tribes restuarant was awesome and beautiful at night. Room service was also very good. Loved the free 5 minute massages by the pool during the day. The grounds were spotless and so comfortable. I can't think of one complaint.

Grand Rapids, MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2010

Our group consisted of three adult couples, all well traveled in the U.S., Canada and Mexico. Casa Dorada Resort at Medano Beach is right in the heart of it all, and is by far the best resort and vacation destination we've ever stayed. Not one of the six of us can wait to get back there again for next year's vacation. The resort has every amenity you could imagine, the cleanliness of this gorgeous new resort is unbelievable, each room is totally private with it's own balconies (there were 2 in our 1-bedroom condo), and an OCEAN VIEW TO DIE FOR (National Geographic'ish), a nice-sized kitchen with granite countertops, full-sized fridge, fully-equipped kitchen, our condo had two flat-screen TVs, and the jacuzzi and gorgeous spa-like bedding and beautiful tile everywhere made us feel like royalty. They have a terrific fully-equipped gym, and the spa is absolutely unbelievable. When we'd wake up in the morning, we could look out one of our two balconies to see the breathtaking view of The Arch, the sunny, blue sky, and where the Pacific Ocean and Sea of Cortez come together... and we saw whales! and sea turtles! and sea lions! and pelicans! and it was FAB! We never needed a car, because everything is within walking distance. You can either mosey down to the beach to go for a walk or go swimming (Medano Beach is one of the rare places in Cabo that you can safely swim), and go to any of the bars or restaurants on the beach, and you can buy whatever your heart desires from the vendors who walk the beach, grab a water taxi over to Lover's Beach, zip around on a jet ski, go parasailing, or whatever you want. And if you don't want to do a thing, you can quietly and peacefully sit at the pool or beach and read or snooze all doggone day, and a very nice staff member is always happy to refresh your cocktail or bring your lunch. If you want to go into town, it's about a 10 minute walk over to the marina and see all the bizillion dollar yachts, and do some great shopping and eating along the way. You can also swim-with-the-dolphins over alongside the marina, or you can just go in and watch others do it. There is a fun nightlife at Cabo Wabo, El Squid Roe and Giggling Marlin (and many other places), and great restaurants such as The Office (which also has excellent food and is right on the beach next to the resort), Ediths is also next door to the resort, and many others. We also went zip-lining in the canyon-awesome experience! We also did the sunset dinner cruise, pirates booze cruise, marlin fishing, whale watching, and each one of these activities was a blast. All of the restaurants are superb, and also very affordable. We ate like royalty, but didn't gain any tonnage because we had so much fun walking around. Honestly, it is true paradise. There is something for everyone. You can go out and have the adventure of your life, or just sit back and relax. The pools at Casa Dorada at Medano Beach are spectacular - and at night they even have little lights in the bottom of the pool that look like the stars are sparkling - verrry dreamy. There are two large firepits adjacent to the pool that have soft and relaxing seating around them. The pool temperature is perfect, and there is a huge swim up bar. There are very luxurious lounges sounding the pool, and umbrellas to protect you from the sun or shade your eyes while you sleep or read, and there are also large "cabanna-type" enclosures that are covered with a canopy in case you want to just take a snooze with no one bothering you. The golf courses look wonderful, but we're not golfers, so we didn't go. The weather was always perfect - just the right balance of heat, humidity and ocean breezes to make you feel refreshed. If only we didn't have the reality of jobs, family , friends and pets back home, we'd live there. If I were to describe the perfect vacation, this would be it.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Casa Dorada Los Cabos? Share your experiences!