“Excellent Location, Typical Resort Stay Feel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Casa Dorada Los Cabos

Save Saved
You added Casa Dorada Los Cabos to your Saves list
Casa Dorada Los Cabos
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   Av. Pescador S/N | Col. El Médano, Cabo San Lucas 23410, Mexico   |
Special Offer
$25.00 USD Coupon Credit
Ranked #13 of 66 hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Murrieta, CA
“Excellent Location, Typical Resort Stay Feel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 6 days, 5 nights. I have to say, as far as location goes, this is the place to stay. Close to restaurants, activities, down town, the marina, etc. Overall, we were very pleased with our stay.

The Good:

Location, location, location. As I stated, this resort is in a prime location. The rooms are also very nice and equipped for an extended stay. Our one bedroom suite had a full sized kitchen, dining room, and two balcony's. Very nice accommodations. The pool and spa were good size and the staff was very friendly. The food was excellent as well.

The OK:

Depending on what you like, while the location is excellent, some may not like the fact that a very active bar and party scene takes place almost 24/7 on the "Mango Deck" directly below the resort. Live music, cheering, yelling, and the MC yelling "Drink, drink, drink!" could be heard most of the day and night. If you're looking for a nice and quiet vacation, this is not the place. Our room had a "spa" that was dangerous in my opinion. It felt like it was going to fall into the room below us, so we did not use it more than once. The only other thing I would say about this place is a complaint about the towel policy. They treat towels like bricks of gold... and they don't have enough of them for their guests.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay very much. Another successful vacation in Mexico.

Room Tip: Get a room on the upper floors. Much better view.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
GM_Casa_Dorada, General Manager at Casa Dorada Los Cabos, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
We will be happy to have you back!! We are always considering your comments, the let us improve. Hope to see you again.

1,009 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (280)
Sherman Oaks
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Our dance group trip to Cabo was WONDERFUL! Great rooms great service and just a fantastic place to go to unwind and enjoy!!! The staff is caring accommodating and very gracious.
We'll be back next year!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
We love to hear the fantastic and fun time that you had in Casa Dorada, it will be our pleasure to host you back.

Regards,

San Clemente, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

My fiance booked our trip based on online reviews and we were so pleased with our stay. The hotel was so clean and beautiful (we observed detailed cleaning each day throughout the resort), staff was always friendly and helpful (we love the pool bartender Ivan!), food was delicious (large portions so we oftentimes shared), the location was perfect (right in town so you can explore and also next to swimmable beaches and day drinking locales), and we also enjoyed the ambiance. We are in our mid 20s and did not feel at all judged by having cocktails in the early afternoon but then again appreciated that we weren't bombarded with bass pumping DJs all day either. It was truly the perfect mix of ages. We HIGHLY recommend Casa Dorada and would definitely stay again! Thanks for a memorable and truly relaxing week! :)

Room Tip: We enjoyed being on the first floor so that we could easily return to the room from the pool or beac...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your comments!! We are truly honored knowing that had a memorable relaxing week, will be a honor to be part of your next vacational experience.

california
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

My best friend and I arrived last Wednesday and had an amazing stay at Casa Dorado! We had an Oceanfront 1 bedroom suite room - Gorgeous! Resort is clean, service is attentive! Pool is good, beach is better - service from Laura at beach - perfect- we loved the two for one drinks all day and daily food specials!! Yes there is a beach club right next door ( a little loud) however its during the day and at night they close. It's a smaller hotel - but has everything you need -service was impeccable! I would go back in a second!!!! Only negative was the constant time share at the front Lobby! BE FIRM AND SAY NO!!

• Stayed June 2013
Albuquerque
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

This will be our regular vacation spot!!!

The first person we encountered was Aldo. He greeted us with Mango Margaritas and was helpful during our entire stay.

We did our property tour/presentation with Alejandro (Alex) Babio. He was extremely helpful and informative; a great guy! If you do the tour, ask for him!!

Wonderful staff, great location, well designed, and the perfect blend of relaxation and fun. We looked at some of the other hotels nearby and this one was certainly a cut above.

We had a one bedroom suite. It was very roomy! I slept very well. We looked at the smaller studio room while there and it was also nice with a kitchenette. All rooms face in the general direction of the sea and or the pool. Only a handful would have something obscuring the view of the sea but none face downtown or an alley (that I could see). The higher the floor you’re on, the more view you’ll have.

I have to say that it never seemed crowded there.

There’s a good restaurant (12 Tribes), a nice place for Tapas, poolside food, and a nice swim-up bar. Everything you could want for activities is right there on the beach. Someone from the hotel is right there at the beach to help you line up parasailing, wave runners, paddle boards, water taxis, or anything else you need.
Reasonable walk to the marina and mall (or take a water taxi).

Places very close to the hotel:
The Mango Deck - on the beach (always some sort of activity or contest going on – food/fun/drinks).
“The Office” – on the beach - is a great place to enjoy a beverage or meal with your toes in the sand (Great fresh fruit and smoothies).
Bar Esquina – Directly across from the hotel - Perfect for evening dining (yummy homemade chocolates), check out ratings on Trip Advisor.
Sharky’s Mesquite Grill - open-air dining, home cooked style food cooked on a charcoal grill – check our ratings on Trip Advisor.

Room Tip: Floors #3 and higher will have the best views. Even their smallest studio room had a decent kitchen...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
GM_Casa_Dorada, Director General at Casa Dorada Los Cabos, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
We are very proud to read your comments, as you mentioned we have different options to provide to our Guest, our Wine & Tapas and ceviche bar on the Okeanus Beach Restaurant are some of our Food and Beverages activities are recently added to our culinary proposal.

Hope you enjoy them in your next visit…

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

I absolutely loved Casa Dorada! Great, clean, and very spacious rooms, great views, absolutely beautiful beach, and the service was excellent. For me, that was a true vacation! I was there for a retreat and I can't think of anything I didn't like about the place!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
We appreciate your comments, we hope host you again at this su casa.

Louisville, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

Just back from Cabo and had a great time at Casa Dorada. Centrally located on Medano Beach, my girlfriend and I walked to a different restaurant for dinner every night and spent days by the pool making sure that the pina coladas and Pacifico didn't go to waste.

We booked a junior suite and while we did follow the recommendations to request 4th floor or higher for a better view, we were upgraded (without asking) to a one-bedroom suite on the third floor. The one-bedroom has a balcony that is twice as big as the junior suite, and while the third floor views of the Sea of Cortez and Land's End were slightly obstructed by palm trees, we still had a great view. Hats off to the hotel, as weather delays in Atlanta meant that we missed our connection to Cabo and had to wait until the following day to get to the beach. We were able to get the airline to add a day to the end of our trip and Casa Dorada was equally accommodating so we didn't miss a day of vacation!

I did get up early every morning (as I was on Eastern time) to claim a couple of pool chairs, but the pool was never so crowded that you had to do that to get a chair and umbrella--we simply found a place that we liked closer to the pool bar and in Angela's section for service (she was great).

As to the "vacation club" issue that gets mentioned, we did as many other reviewers suggested and were polite but firm when asked immediately after checking in whether we'd like to talk to the activities desk about "discounts." The developer is Globequest, and the sales people will typically wear embroidered shirts different than the hotel staff, so I recognized the pitch for what it was and explained that we were tired from a long trip in, would rather get settled and truthfully weren't interested in any sort of "vacation club" or sitting through any presentations. That was the last I heard of the issue beyond overheard sales pitches from neighboring tables during breakfast.

If you want to kayak or try stand-up paddle boarding, Cabo Sup is right in front of the hotel on the beach. Early morning is the best time as the water gets a bit choppy after 9am as the waverunner rentals get started and the water taxis begin to troll the beach for fares. We did take a glass bottomed boat from the beach out to Land's End to see Lover's Beach and the Arch, which was a relatively quick and inexpensive trip I would recommend.

There is an outdoor activities desk at the hotel as you walk onto the beach and they will try to set you up with various vendors. I probably could have just walked to one of the beach vendors and found a water taxi, but made the mistake of talking to the hotel activities people who had me prepay (this is where they would apply the discounts for sitting through the presentations if you had done that) and then sent me down to one of the taxi companies' "office" in a tent down on the beach.

My girlfriend and I got a massage at the spa one day and it was amazing. Seriously. We booked our trip through Orbitz, and had a 25% off discount for spa treatments, but were told that instead we could get an 80-minute massage for the price of a 50-minute massage and opted for that. I now believe in time travel because there is no way that 80 minutes could go that fast (it did, I checked my watch)!

Quick list of restaurants we liked:

--Edith's, next door to the hotel: one of the more expensive options, this was my favorite of the trip and well worth the price. Make sure to get reservations in advance--we stopped by on Friday to get reservations for 2 on Sunday and then only had a few options.

--Bar Esquina, across the street from the hotel in the Bahia hotel--live music at night, fantastic food, great outdoor space. Coffee bar is good for a bagel or muffin in the morning if you want something smaller.

--Maro's Shrimp House: where else can you get a quarter pound of lobster and quarter pound of shrimp for $16.95? They are known for their signature drink, the "Bulldog" that includes lemonade, tequila and a Corona. I can't begin to describe how your waiter will make it for you, but having experienced it I now understand what other reviewers meant about the "hip action."

--Pancho's: we told our driver from the airport to the hotel that we were craving some authentic Mexican food and good pico de gallo and guacamole in particular. Pancho's didn't disappoint.

--Salvatore's: there were a surprising number of Italian places in Cabo, and Salvatore's was a good one...very low key and more casual than I thought it would be.

--Baja Brewery: there is one in the marina, but the spot to get to is the rooftop bar in one of the neighboring hotels (I believe it is the Bayview Suites a few doors down from Casa Dorada...you'll see the signs). Take the elevator to the 6th floor and then one flight of stairs to the roof on the 7th floor. They had live music several nights and fantastic views of the beach and Sea of Cortez. I'd recommend going for drinks, but eating dinner elsewhere as their food was just OK.

--Sunset Mona Lisa: the "one that got away," we heard about this place but didn't look into it further when we heard you had to get a cab to get there from Casa Dorada. After seeing some of the pictures and hearing the rave reviews from other guests at the hotel, we'll have to go back to Cabo just to check it out.

Transportation from airport to the hotel: I priced several options, but opted for TransVIP and worked via email with Giovanna Romero, the owner. If you let the companies know that you are shopping around, they will give you a break from their quoted fees. Our drivers were prompt, courteous and helpful. We had them stop at Wal-Mart for water, beer, snacks, etc. on the way to the hotel when we landed, which was a good idea. The Wal-Mart is fairly close to Casa Dorada so we probably could have found a cab to take us over there later, but we felt like it was better to just knock it out before we got to the beach and started to relax!

Room Tip: Fourth floor or higher is better, but 3rd was fine. Our room # was in the "20s," which pu...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Casa Dorada Los Cabos? Share your experiences!