“VIP staff need some help” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Casa Dorada Los Cabos

Save Saved
You added Casa Dorada Los Cabos to your Saves list
Casa Dorada Los Cabos
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   Av. Pescador S/N | Col. El Médano, Cabo San Lucas 23410, Mexico   |
Ranked #13 of 65 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
san diego, CA
“VIP staff need some help”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

I am not going to waste anymore time on this place with a lengthy review.
1. Timeshare salesmen (only men) everywhere. You walk down the stairs while they are having a meeting and it's like blood in the water. All through breakfast all you can hear is the chitter chatter about what a great "deal" this is.
2. Lucia Lucinda in the VIP check in area broke every standing rule of customer service. Not sure how many more times she could tell us "no" and "no your room is not ready (for the 4th time)" and "no" we can't change your room even though it is right next to the front door of the hotel and we could hear crazy people coming in all hours of the night. Perhaps I should not have said "no" to the timeshare guy until we were checked in.
3. The Hacienda next door is fantastic! Restaurant is amazing, pool is gorgeous. Spent some time there and all I heard was "yes". And no one tried to sell me anything other than lobster enchiladas and a margarita (which they got right on the first try).
4. WHatever you do, don't look (or inhale) behind the pool bar area (or up top where the food is). You will lose your appetite, even for drinks, immediately.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
Boulder, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

We just returned from a 5 night stay during Thanksgiving week. The resort is on Medano beach part of which is behind the Mango Deck beach bar. The location is great if interested in a combination of beach (with a lot of action) and marina/downtown activities. If looking for a more relaxed atmosphere, going further down Medano beach would be a better choice. The water was great and it was a short walk to the marina where there are a lot of restaurants and other activities (5-7 minute casual walk from the street in front of the lobby). We usually prefer to relax on the beach so we started by hanging at the beach when we arrived but quickly decided to switch to the pool for several reasons:

1) The beach setting was very noisy and busy with vendors and nearby beach bars.
2) The beach chairs were not as comfortable as the padded pool chairs.
3) The beach area slopes to the water making the chairs even more uncomfortable.
4) With all the boat activities along Medano beach, the fumes was pretty obvious and became annoying quickly.

The room we were in had a great ocean view and most rooms (especially upper rooms) should also have a great view. The weekend prior to Thanksgiving had 2 weddings (Sat and Sun) at 12 Tribes restaurant. The noise from the weddings was very loud and very obvious even with the balcony doors closed in our room. The music played until 11 or 12 midnight and the partying continued until 3am. I talked to the concierge the next day and she said the party should have moved to the Maydan after 11pm, but a lot of people continued to hang around 12 Tribes and the pool area. The other nights were fine and I was worried about noise from the Mango Deck at night, but that wasn't a big issue. Suprisingly the on property noise was much worse.

Overall, I would rate this resort 3 star+ to 4 star. My personal preferences lean more to a quieter more relaxing atmosphere as opposed to a party atmosphere.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 618 which is a one-bedroom suite which also has a lockout to an adjoining bedroom...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

We just got back from a week at Casa Dorado and we were extremely happy with our stay. The resort is well kept up and they go out of their way to make you feel comfortable and welcome. The Bell Captain, (I think that is his title) Tomas Rodreguiz does an outstanding job managing this very busy hotel entrance - he and his staff were so accomodating and brought our car around within minutes of the request. Front desk, housekeeping, 12 Tribes, and beach and pool staff also incredibly nice and excellent service. Yes, you may pay for some extras but it is well worth it - There is enough staff at this place to man a small army - therefore no customer need goes un -noticed.

Newton, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Great location near marina and right on Medano beach. Hotel is not to large where you feel overwhelmed, just the right size! Great staff and met a lot of friendly people at the swim up bar. Room were very nice with great cleaning service every day.

Room Tip: Ocean view is beautiful!! Or ground floor is very convenient. (;
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Middletown, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

My wife and myself went here November of 2012, just returned yesterday and felt the need to post this review for all to be well informed. When you are paying $400 plus a night for a room you come to expect a certain standard to be achieved, well its not even close here. My wife and I went on this trip to escape for a bit and we chose Cabo and this hotel based on the reviews and location (Don't be fooled). Upon arriving to Cabo, at the airport you will be greeted by nice people but they are all out to get you to attend "presentations" they will swear up and down these are not for timeshares but they all lie through their teeth. They will offer you activities, credits, dinner, etc to try and entice you into attending but we politely declined (numerous times). You understand after staying here why they try and sell you first thing rather than before you are leaving and have experienced the hotel.

We got to Casa Dorada and what a great location and aesthetically appealing hotel but to our surprise the time share people were swarming the lobby like sharks in freshly chummed water. I had to explain numerous times we were not interested in attending what was now called a welcoming appreciation breakfast presentation. We checked in and finally got to our room which we were happy to be told was upgraded. We got to our room and after settling in realized there was no safe, no view (we had ocean view on our reservation), and were next to the kiddie area.

We requested a new room and were given a smaller one but it had a view, a safe, and was away from the kiddie area so we were content. Later in the day we discovered a new surprise about our room, it lacked hot water! We requested someone to look and they briefly got it to work and told me I had to turn the handle the other way acting as if it was my fault (I'm highly capable of operating a faucet). We struggled with the front desk for over a 2 days before they switched our room to one without issues and upgraded us to our original room layout on the fifth floor. We were finally happy half way through the vacation aside from the fact that most the elevators were out of service and would require us to walk up the five flights but we are young and didn't mind the extra exercise.

The good part of the hotel was the pool, it's a nice layout with a great view. I have to say the server staff attending to the pool is highly responsive to any request. The food at the pool was terrific and the 2 for 1 drink specials were a nice touch. Emilio the pool attendant that gets your towels and sets up your chairs is probably the hardest worker I saw in that whole resort, I could not move my umbrella without him trying to help out.

The gym and spa were both were fairly new and well kept. You may not need to use it though if you have a high floor as you will be running up and down the stairs to get to your room.

The beach is one of the few swimming beaches in Cabo and it's nice to have the ability to dip in the ocean if you desire. One of the surprises we found in Cabo is there is no Port for the cruise ships to dock so they park in the bay outside the hotel. The only bad side is when a ship comes in the beaches become fairly crowded very quick with boats carting people to the beach off the ship. It's funny to watch all the beach vendors that swarm to the boats of people coming to shore.

As far as food is concerned, the marina has some nice restaurants but it will be pricey. We found this great little family owned place we ate out a few times called Sharky's, it's reasonably priced and food is terrific, go for the Sharky omelet for breakfast. Also the eatery at the Bahai hotel was possibly the best food I have ever had in my lifetime, the menu and flavors that chef created are truly incredible.

Back to the hotel, I wouldn't advise dropping anywhere close to what they are asking for only to be annoyed with people constantly trying to sell you. I word to management it's a real shame because your hotel has true potential but clearly need some issues addressed:

1. Get rid of all the time share sales tactics and allow the travelers to come to you after a great experience.
2. Work on delivering that great experience travelers desire.
3. Keep the facilities in working order (elevators, hot water, safes)
4. Don't allow the time share people to wander the lobby, we actually avoided and dreaded walking through because we didn't want to be hassled.

Room Tip: Elevators frequently not working and make sure you have hot water and a safe in the room. Rooms furt...
Charleston, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

I called this hotel on Friday 11/2 to confirm that I had a king bed and ocean view. Everything was in order. I arrived at the hotel on Tuesday 11/6 and they told me that they had me booked in a pool view and seemed confused that I would ask for an ocean view. I booked the trip through Orbitz so I showed them the paperwork. It did not make a difference they said they were completely booked and said we don't know what caused the confusion. So I called Orbitz only to be told it is not our fault. So I am stuck. The front desk manager telling me sorry but no and Orbits not helping at all. After 45 minutes of standing at the front desk saying "give me what I paid for" they all the sudden had a room with an ocean view - amazing. Remember I was told the hotel was full numerous times.

Once over that first impression the hotel is nice, good location and some very friendly staff. Overall we enjoyed our stay but the front desk needs some overhaul. We will probably stay in this area again. I just don't know about this hotel since reservations seem to be an issue and the last thing you want is to start your vacation having to negotiate the room you paid for.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Laguna Hills, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Love this place! This is our escape for week every year and it just gets better and better. We love the atmosphere. No loud games around the pool or weird music. Just pure relaxation. David at the bar took care of us and the waiters always remember your name. They aim to please in every way. 5 minute massages poolside to organized water sports to recommedations for the best places to eat.. Met some really nice friends over the past few years. See you next year!

Room Tip: All rooms have oceanviews but we like the view towards the Arch (looking towards the west). The opp...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Casa Dorada Los Cabos? Share your experiences!