“Casa Dorada Review” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Casa Dorada Los Cabos

You added Casa Dorada Los Cabos to your Saves list
Casa Dorada Los Cabos
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   Av. Pescador S/N | Col. El Médano, Cabo San Lucas 23410, Mexico   |
Ranked #12 of 66 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Newton, Iowa
“Casa Dorada Review”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Great location near marina and right on Medano beach. Hotel is not to large where you feel overwhelmed, just the right size! Great staff and met a lot of friendly people at the swim up bar. Room were very nice with great cleaning service every day.

Room Tip: Ocean view is beautiful!! Or ground floor is very convenient. (;
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (334)
Middletown, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

My wife and myself went here November of 2012, just returned yesterday and felt the need to post this review for all to be well informed. When you are paying $400 plus a night for a room you come to expect a certain standard to be achieved, well its not even close here. My wife and I went on this trip to escape for a bit and we chose Cabo and this hotel based on the reviews and location (Don't be fooled). Upon arriving to Cabo, at the airport you will be greeted by nice people but they are all out to get you to attend "presentations" they will swear up and down these are not for timeshares but they all lie through their teeth. They will offer you activities, credits, dinner, etc to try and entice you into attending but we politely declined (numerous times). You understand after staying here why they try and sell you first thing rather than before you are leaving and have experienced the hotel.

We got to Casa Dorada and what a great location and aesthetically appealing hotel but to our surprise the time share people were swarming the lobby like sharks in freshly chummed water. I had to explain numerous times we were not interested in attending what was now called a welcoming appreciation breakfast presentation. We checked in and finally got to our room which we were happy to be told was upgraded. We got to our room and after settling in realized there was no safe, no view (we had ocean view on our reservation), and were next to the kiddie area.

We requested a new room and were given a smaller one but it had a view, a safe, and was away from the kiddie area so we were content. Later in the day we discovered a new surprise about our room, it lacked hot water! We requested someone to look and they briefly got it to work and told me I had to turn the handle the other way acting as if it was my fault (I'm highly capable of operating a faucet). We struggled with the front desk for over a 2 days before they switched our room to one without issues and upgraded us to our original room layout on the fifth floor. We were finally happy half way through the vacation aside from the fact that most the elevators were out of service and would require us to walk up the five flights but we are young and didn't mind the extra exercise.

The good part of the hotel was the pool, it's a nice layout with a great view. I have to say the server staff attending to the pool is highly responsive to any request. The food at the pool was terrific and the 2 for 1 drink specials were a nice touch. Emilio the pool attendant that gets your towels and sets up your chairs is probably the hardest worker I saw in that whole resort, I could not move my umbrella without him trying to help out.

The gym and spa were both were fairly new and well kept. You may not need to use it though if you have a high floor as you will be running up and down the stairs to get to your room.

The beach is one of the few swimming beaches in Cabo and it's nice to have the ability to dip in the ocean if you desire. One of the surprises we found in Cabo is there is no Port for the cruise ships to dock so they park in the bay outside the hotel. The only bad side is when a ship comes in the beaches become fairly crowded very quick with boats carting people to the beach off the ship. It's funny to watch all the beach vendors that swarm to the boats of people coming to shore.

As far as food is concerned, the marina has some nice restaurants but it will be pricey. We found this great little family owned place we ate out a few times called Sharky's, it's reasonably priced and food is terrific, go for the Sharky omelet for breakfast. Also the eatery at the Bahai hotel was possibly the best food I have ever had in my lifetime, the menu and flavors that chef created are truly incredible.

Back to the hotel, I wouldn't advise dropping anywhere close to what they are asking for only to be annoyed with people constantly trying to sell you. I word to management it's a real shame because your hotel has true potential but clearly need some issues addressed:

1. Get rid of all the time share sales tactics and allow the travelers to come to you after a great experience.
2. Work on delivering that great experience travelers desire.
3. Keep the facilities in working order (elevators, hot water, safes)
4. Don't allow the time share people to wander the lobby, we actually avoided and dreaded walking through because we didn't want to be hassled.

Room Tip: Elevators frequently not working and make sure you have hot water and a safe in the room. Rooms furt...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Charleston, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

I called this hotel on Friday 11/2 to confirm that I had a king bed and ocean view. Everything was in order. I arrived at the hotel on Tuesday 11/6 and they told me that they had me booked in a pool view and seemed confused that I would ask for an ocean view. I booked the trip through Orbitz so I showed them the paperwork. It did not make a difference they said they were completely booked and said we don't know what caused the confusion. So I called Orbitz only to be told it is not our fault. So I am stuck. The front desk manager telling me sorry but no and Orbits not helping at all. After 45 minutes of standing at the front desk saying "give me what I paid for" they all the sudden had a room with an ocean view - amazing. Remember I was told the hotel was full numerous times.

Once over that first impression the hotel is nice, good location and some very friendly staff. Overall we enjoyed our stay but the front desk needs some overhaul. We will probably stay in this area again. I just don't know about this hotel since reservations seem to be an issue and the last thing you want is to start your vacation having to negotiate the room you paid for.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Laguna Hills, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Love this place! This is our escape for week every year and it just gets better and better. We love the atmosphere. No loud games around the pool or weird music. Just pure relaxation. David at the bar took care of us and the waiters always remember your name. They aim to please in every way. 5 minute massages poolside to organized water sports to recommedations for the best places to eat.. Met some really nice friends over the past few years. See you next year!

Room Tip: All rooms have oceanviews but we like the view towards the Arch (looking towards the west). The opp...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dana Point, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

Every year I take a large group down to Cabo and this year we stayed at the Casa Dorada. My group was really pleased with the family feel of the hotel. They also enjoyed how each room had a kitchen and we were able to bring in our own food to keep cost down. The hotel has a beautiful pool area and beach area but its a bit confusing figuring out how to get to the beach. I suggest having the hotel staff take you on a tour of the hotel ground so that you are able to take advantage of everything it has to offer. Jazmin Cesena was my group coordinator and she was wonderful. She truly helped me keep my group happy.
On our last day there, a big storm came in and we were unable to enjoy the sun. The hotel set up a big screen and played movies in the down stairs bar/restaurant area. There was also a pool table and ping pong table available to play. This was a great option that kept their guest happy.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

This hotel is centrally located if you are like us and enjoy the beach and a fun, happening atmosphere. The hotel has it's own private beach area that is separated from the rest of the public. The chairs and cabanas are clean and the very well kept. The beach service was also excellent. It's right next to the activity vendors as well (glass bottom taxis to El Arco, jet skis, banana rides etc). Tip - feel free to haggle. I negotiated 2 hours on the jetski for the price of one.

You should be aware that the hotel is right in front of Mango Deck which is probably the loudest, most happening beach club at Cabo. This means that there will be music all day and long into the night so if you aren't into that type of scene, you may want to move further north up the beach.

It's about a 8 min walk to the center of town.

The hotel staff is all around friendly and the suites were amazing, clean with spectacular views. Overall a great time and I recommend this hotel for couples + friends looking to enjoy the beach.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
san Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We happened to be traveling with our very well behaved labrador Sammy and Laura (the general mgr) was absolutely incredible.

She not only made sure that our two toddlers were taken care of but that our dog (who is part of our family) was comfortable.

She was awesome. All staff was fantastic.

Please keep in mind when travelling in Mexico that Labor Law allows for 48 hour / 6 day per week work weeks and that all staff work those hours. Please be sure to tip and make their lives as prosperous as possible.

Room Tip: Room 133 is awesome!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Casa Dorada Los Cabos? Share your experiences!