“Great Vacation in Cabo!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Santa Fe

You added Hotel Riu Santa Fe to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Santa Fe
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Camino Viejo a San Jose | Cabo San Lucas, Cabo San Lucas 23410, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
EARLY BIRD SUMMER DEALS
Ranked #39 of 68 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Minnesota
“Great Vacation in Cabo!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2010

Overall, we had a great trip. The one thing I can say about this resort is that the service is GREAT. They will bend over backwards to make you happy whether you are a big tipper, or not. It was definately more an adults resort. There weren't many kids, but they did seem to cater to the kids and provide entertainment for them as well, but it was almost all 20's plus.

Rooms - Very average. Not the best I've seen, but also not nearly the worst. Beds are comfortable. We got a kick out of all of the booze in the room - we thought that was cool. I think they restock that and the fridge like every other day, but they never needed to re-stock ours. We almost always went directly to the bars for any drinks we needed. Bathrooms are nice with marbled countertops, but the warnings are true - the tub is angled weird so it's really slippery so you want to be careful.

Service - Like I said, service was awesome. It was the best service I have seen for a reasonably priced all inclusive. Everyone is always willing to help you with whatever you need, even if it's not nessicarily their job. I've been to resorts where you get crappy service unless you tip - THEN they start being nice. Not here. They give you awesome service from the get-go, which makes you WANT to tip them more!

Food - We weren't very impressed here; and believe me, we are not picky eaters. Reservations for the specialty restaurants were very hard to get. 50% of the reservations can be booked up to 2 days in advance, and they hold the other 50% for the day-of. You are supposed to make the reservation early in the AM and are first come first serve. Of course, we never got up early enough, and the days we did, the restaurants we wanted to go to were closed. We were pretty frustrated by that. So we made it to the italian restaurant once, which overall was pretty good. But they have a standard buffet for the salad bar (your 'appetizer'), and the deserts were the exact same as the buffet too, so the only thing different about it about it from the main buffet was the breads they offered, and the entrees (which I was pretty dissappointed about). The entrees they did offer, were good though and were different from what you would find in the buffet. The buffets were pretty good as far as buffets go. I was sad to see that they did not have ready-made omelets, but had the other basics. I felt like the lunch buffet had more options than other all-inclusive lunch buffets I have seen, and every day had a different 'feature' - ready made pasta, fajitas, etc. But the food still gets to be the same day after day. So it wasn't bad by any means, but we were definately ready for something different by the end of our stay.

Drinks - They seemed to have most of the brands that we like to drink, which surprised me after all of the bad reviews i've seen on here about the alcahol. Drinks were generally pretty strong too. And if they weren't strong enough, they are more than happy to add more booze or fix it however you need. Drinks were standard size, but we saw many people who brought there own (larger) glasses. We had no problems going back up to get a new drink when we needed one. You usually didn't have to wait too long. And boy do they come up with some creative/good drinks & shots!

Entertainment - Definately not the types of shows that you would ever go pay to see, but pretty entertaining and laid back if you have nothing else to do, and haven't seen it before. Their version of Grease was pretty fun to watch, and the Mariachi band was pretty cool too. It was fun to sit at the bar, and see the stage from there in the background. We didn't participate in any of the 'day' entertainment - it was the same stuff every day.

Pools - COLD! Maybe it's better when it's super hot out, but we had 78-80 degree temps, and the pools were freezing. I didn't think it was hot enough to want to be 'refreshed' like that, so we never went in. We found the ocean was much warmer. Unfortunately, you can't swim from the beach at this resort though. But we liked going to lovers beach and swimming there. The pool area however, WAS nice for laying out in the sun! Lots of chairs and all in close proximety to a bar. We never had to worry about not getting a chair, or getting up early to "Claim" your chair.

Tours - We did the Miguino Beach ATV tour which was pretty cool. Definately plan on getting dirty, and wear long pants! Also went parasailing (Scary, but amazingly fun!) and jet skiing through a tour company. Jet skiing was hard though, becuase the salt water gets in your eyes & mouth a TON which makes it difficult, so that didn't last too long. And with the big waves, it was unavoidable, especially if you attempted to go fast at all. All tours we did were booked through Eric (Jackie Chan) with Epic Tours who was great to work with.

Nightlife - Most of the nights we just spent at the hotel (Free booze!) When the pools close, the main bars by the lobby are where it's at. They stay open until midnight, in which most people would go to bed, go into town, or go into Pacha (the resort's 'club'). Pacha was fun, but it was completely dead until the bars closed at midnight, and never even really got THAT busy after that. But we always made friends at the bars, which made it more fun to go into the club. Going by yourself wouldn't be any fun. In town, there were a lot of people. Easy cab ride - they charge $6 per person each way. Cabo Wabo was fun, but was definately an older crowd. Squid Roe is where the younger crowd goes. But both are good places to check out, either way.

Other tips - I would highly reccomend the Oceanside massages through Renova Spa (The spa at the hotel). It was AMAZING! Nothing like a massage in the sun, while listening to the sounds of the ocean! Also, especially when we went, it tends to get a little chilly at night, so bring pants and/or sweaters. I was expecting hot all of the time, and was not prepared. If you had pants and long sleeves you were comfortable (which I, unfortunately, didn't). Also, know that if you go down on the beach, you will be hounded by the beach vendors. The hotel does leave an area on the beach roped off which they are not allowed to pass, but they will still come up to the rope, and try to talk to you which can get a little annoying. The vendors are especially bad down at the marina.

Overall, great trip! Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,517)
Albany, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2010

Just returned from a 7 night stay at the Riu Santa Fe. My family of five (myself, hub and three young boys ages 18 mos, 5 and 7) were set to sail on the Carnival Splendor over same dates, but cruise was cancelled after an engine fire on earlier sailing. We scrambled to arrange something for ourselves and good friends who had planned to join us (a couple with a 2 year old son), and stumbled across the Riu website, which was offering promotional "kids stay free" rates starting at $138 per night ALL INCLUSIVE FOR THE WHOLE FAMILY! We pounced.

I of course came to TripAdvisor first and read many reviews. I agree with some and not with others, but in a nutshell, the Riu is a gorgeous getaway for the entire family at a great value.

Travel to resort: We flew from Portland, OR. Had connecting flights and got in late, around 8 p.m. There certainly are time share sharks that will cheat, steal and lie to get your attention, so DO NOT be fooled by their false claims that "to get to the Riu you have to come to our desk", just smile, say no thanks, and head outside...all the way through the double exit doors. We arranged roundtrip transfers through the resort for $9 per person (super value for the 20 mile drive) and I highly recommed doing the same, This transfer is run by a company called Hotelbeds and your contact will be in a black polo with "Hotelbeds" written on it in hot pink. They were excellent. The transfer takes about 25 minutes one way.

Arrival: Beautiful resort, greeted by bellmen. Offered drinks of our choice (they brought non-alcoholic pina-coladas for our boys). Check in was easy, and they worked hard to accommodate our request to have adjoining rooms near our friends.

Rooms: We were placed on the third floor of building 4, which was centrally located and we liked the location. There are NO ELEVATORS at this resort, so if you don't want to hike the stairs, request a ground level room for sure! Though my toddler got heavy, I didn't mind the extra exercise, seeing as how we were eating to our hearts content at the buffets. Our two rooms were clean, spacious and well appointed, full baths with nice tub/showers, private balconies with views of the mountains (rather than sea view, but lovely anyway, and MUCH quieter than the pool or sea view rooms). Full mini-bar (in nice size fridge) in each room, including plenty of bottled water (don't drink the tap), beer, soda pop and a variety of alcohols on tap (hilarious...my husband tried each just because they were there). They repleneshed the mini-bar daily (if we said yes when they offered), and also offered to clean the rooms daily, but we often said no thanks, as honestly, we didn't need much cleaning. One day I did want the trash removed (stinky diapers) and some fresh towels, so I put out the "please clean my room" tag, and sure enough, when we returned from our afternoon swim, everthing had been taken care of. The beds were quite comfortable, and the TV had a couple of American channels, we also brough our portable DVD player, with adapter cords, for our young boys so they could watch their favorite shows during quiet time or just before dinner. I highly recommend this. The walls are thin, so if you need quiet to sleep, then be sure to request a central building like 3 or 4, and rooms at the back, rather than the pool view rooms, which are on the noisy side. We didn't have any issues with loud neighbors, but our travel companions weren't so lucky. If people near you are partying hard or even talking in regular tones in the hallways, you will be able to hear. We brought a pack-n-play for our toddler to sleep in, but the resort WILL provide you with something similar if you choose not to bring your own, and they will also provide roll away twin beds if requested.

Food: Lovely buffets, well spread out to prevent crowding, tremendous variety, and obviously all you can eat in plentiful supply. Okay - this food is equivelant to what you might find on a Carnival cruise, so good, but not gourmet. Thereis some seafood, but no lobster, there are nice desserts in a wide variety, but no souffles, etc. Having said that, we never went hungry, always found something we wanted more of and my children were thrilled with the choices so were happy at every meal. I love flan and custard and ice cream, of which there was always plenty, so I loved the desserts (unlike other reviewers on this site). Also, at ever meal there were salads, deli selections, a variety of pastas, pizzas, nachos, quesadillas, grilled meats, and other unique dishes, VERY EASY to find something for everyone. The breakfast buffet was my favorite - with amazing variety and every yummy good thing (hot and cold) you can think of. Breakfast and dinner were served in the main buffet dining room (the Baja California), and lunch was served out at building 7 (the happening hot spot with views of the infinity pool, beach and Los Arcos (famous rock arch of Cabo). Now - there are 4 other "restaurants" where you can make dinner reservations to try their stake house, asian, mexican and italian menus. In my opinion the trouble of making the reservations, and the process of having to wait through the serving of all the courses WAS NOT worth it, but remember, I had tiny kids with me and waiting on 7 courses was ridiculous and tedious. If I had been just with my hub, I would not have minded the wait, BUT, I will say, the food in the restaurants really wasn't much better than the buffet, so aside from a nice, quiet atmosphere in a more intimate setting, the restaurant/reservation thing didn't attract me much. Maybe another time. OH - and all buffets and dining rooms had great, sturdy HIGH CHAIRs for our little ones with hook on trays. NO ROOM SERVICE available in rooms, just so you know. Also, coffee is weakish (like a diner), and decaf is instant (but at least I could make it strong!). I heard the wine was awful, but I don't partake, so no loss for me.

Bars/Drinks: Many to choose from, drinks were full strength (or so my husband reported) and plentiful. Easy to get at any bar, any meal, any pool, anytime.

Location (rooms): As I mention above, building 7 is supposed to be "the place to be" with the best views, best bars, lovely pools, beach access,etc. This is all true, HOWEVER, I would only recommend building 7 if you plan to stay up late enjoying the bars and night life, and also enjoy LOUD music, heavier crowds and much more activity during the day. Building 7 is by far the most rowdy and busy, though that can be fun if you are into it. Also, know that buidling 7 is the farthest from the main buffet dining room, so be ready for a hike at meal times.

Pools: while the gorgeous infinity pool overlooking the beach is stunning, it was also loud, crowded and COOOOLLLLLLDDDD! Apparently a young child had recently fallen over the edge of the infinity pool too, so the lifeguard staff worked very hard to dissuade families with children from using this pool. We preferred the quiet and more secluded (yet still beautiful and HUGE garden pools, which were great for our kids, had a walk in/wade in area, several lounge chairs both IN and OUT of the water, and WARMER water every day. Alas, no water slides or water-park like activities for the kids, but they had fun swimming for hours each day anyway.

Kid Stuff: I must admit, this Riu resort was NOT designed with young families in mind, in that the kid area is tiny with a play structure smaller than the one in my back yard, and very small wading pool and a 12x15 activity room with very friendly daycare staff who can look after your little ones during the day if you like (and if you can convince your kids to stay). As I said above, no water slides, water park activities or the like. They do offer evening shows on their "Monumental" stage that are really designed for kids, but we never took advantage, as our little guys were ready for bed after dinner each evening. HAVING SAID ALL OF THIS...we absolutely enjoyed ourselves and our children were none the wiser that this wasn't a "kid-resort". We bought them a couple of blow up pool rings and they swam and floated daily to their little heart's content. Families can definitely have fun here, as long as you know what to expect.

Beach: beautiful to look at, but we just couldn't be bothered, as the swimming is UNSAFE for kids of all ages, with a strong riptide. Lovely for the view, but we didn't go down there much.

Cabo: an $8 cab ride away, and plenty of activities to choose from, though on this trip we elected NOT to do any extra excursions. A thriving shopping district, night life and everything else you can hope for if you are into that sort of thing.

Weather: 82 during the day, 62 at night. Clear and warm every day - gorgeous!

If you forget something: the resort gift shop is expensive, so instead, stretch your legs walk 10 minutes across the highway to Wal-Mart (or catch the bus for $.80.

I think that is about it - would I recommend the Riu Santa Fe? Absolutely! If we had all been willing to stay in one room, 5 of us would have enjoyed 7 all-inclusive nights for $977! We chose to add the second room and double our charges, but we were still thousands under anything else comparible nearby (including the neighboring Riu Palace, which is a step-up). The local, and more family oriented Dreams resort would have cost us $5,000 for the same stay. The staff were friendly, accommodating and always on the ball for our stay. December was a quiet time with only about 50% of the resort occupied - which was GREAT! We did choose to tip our favorite servers at the end of the week, as they went over and above to make our families comfortable.

The only CONS for our family: no waterslides or water-park play areas, and no room-service (we would have appreciated a late night snack without having to go get it ourselves, but this is hardly a deal breaker for us).

Check it out - you will love it.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Kitchener, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2010

I read several reviews on this hotel prior to going to Cabo. I don't understand why anyone would not give this Hotel and it's excellent service 2 thumbs up.

When we arrived, the toilet in the room was not working, Maintenance had it up and running within 2 hrs and we didn't have an issue with it for the entire trip.

I went to the front desk and asked for an extra pillow...I was brought 2 extra pillows.

The buffet was a delight. You have to be terribly picky to not like what they had.

We did not go to any of the restaurants, as we were more than satisfied with the Buffet.
I did hear the Italian restaurant was good.

The beach was clean, it had its usual peddlers, but " just say No" and they walk away.

We did the Taste of Cabo tour and the Swimming with Dolphins and had fun at both.

All in all, I thought it was wonderful !

If you want a quiet building ask for any building BUT #7

Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2010

We were in Los cabos from Oct 30 - Nov 8 , 2010 .
the weather was awesome , hot in the morning and cool at night .
Since I stay in Palace in Cancun , Santa Fe is not a 5 star for sure . the room is small and mostly doesn’t have a good view .
We were in building 7 and the view was so depressing, so we move to build # 3 with Pool view and much better.
The food was good , once again don’t expect 5 start food . The specialty restaurant was just O’k , the worse one was Mexican restaurant .
Alcohol just fine , they never make a good Margarita that we had in Cancun , they just mix tequila with some juice and salt around .

The staff was super polite and friendly. Entertainment at night was extremely cheesy & during day boring .
I went to Riu Palace to compare and find out the service is much better than Santa Fe .

We had a great time in Los Cabos but I never back to Santa Fe again .I don't maen that is a bad one , only I would like to try another resort .
for the price that you pay , it is worthy
Please feel free to contact with me if you would like to know any details .

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Sacramento, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2010

I just returned from three nights and four days at the Riu for my 40th birthday. While I didn’t find the resort overwhelmingly luxurious, it was pleasant, clean, comfortable, and suited my desire to relax and get away from everyday life, affordably, for a few days. The Riu is a great choice if you don’t want to spend a ton of money but still want to stay at a nice property in a great location. Know what your expectations are before you book here and you will be fine.

Don’t stay at the Riu if you:

• Expect a wide range of gourmet food and want to enjoy various wines with it. The Riu offers two wine choices – red and white – and they are both horrible. Think Mad Dog 20/20 mixed with vinegar and left in the sun for a week. The food is good but not special. It is what you would expect at a large resort catering to massive amounts of people: plentiful, but not a whole lot of creativity. Only one beer choice, too: Dos Equis.

• Want to be pampered. You are pretty much on your own here. No room service or poolside drink service. We brought our bags to our room ourselves. The toiletries in the room are practically useless and there were no robes. This is more of a mass market resort, albeit a well maintained and attractive one. If you want to feel special, fork over the money to stay at one of the more exclusive resorts in Cabo – there are plenty.

The Riu will suit your needs if you:

• Want to relax for a few days in a beautiful setting. The location is gorgeous and the grounds and facilities were well maintained. Everything was clean and the service was friendly.

• Are at do-it-yourselfer who doesn’t mind speaking up if you need something and doesn’t expect to be treated like royalty.

Tips if you go:

• Bring your own toiletries. The only ones in the room were shampoo and shower gel in little packets. We did ask the housekeeping staff for conditioner and they gave us two small bottles, but these are not standard in the rooms. The hairdryer in the room was good.

• If you can’t get reservations at the “specialty restaurants” when you go to the customer service desk, go to the restaurant the night you want to eat and see if they have any openings. We did this and were able to get seated within the hour. Also note that the food at the “specialty restaurants” is basically the same as the buffets and the experience is not that special. Italian restaurant was a mix of buffet and table service, Asian restaurant was all buffet, and Mexican restaurant was table service only with a pretty location by the pool. If you want to have a special occasion meal, the Mexican restaurant is probably the best choice.

• If you are vegetarian, don’t be afraid to make special requests. There were no non-meat options at the Mexican restaurant but we asked our waiter and they made something special for us. At the buffets the choices were limited, but we always found something to eat – like heaping plates of fresh guacamole and tortilla chips! Vegans would probably have a tougher time, although there are always plenty of fruits and salads.

• If you prefer a quieter setting, hang out at the “second” pool adjacent to buildings 3 and 4. There was hardly ever anyone at this pool, and there was no music or activities like at the main pool by the ocean. If you just want to relax with a book, this is the place to do it. The front pool (“infinity pool”) is beautiful because you have a view of the Land's End and Lovers Beach, but it can get pretty noisy once people start filing in and the planned activities begin. There is also more of a party atmosphere here. I usually came to the beachfront pool early in the morning, enjoyed the view while it was still relatively peaceful, then moved to the other pool after lunch.

• If you want to tie one on, bring your own alcohol or prepare to hold your nose and chug. I personally am a beer and wine drinker, and the choices here pretty much stink – see my very first bullet point. Definitely drink all of the nice cold bottled beer in your room minibar, as it is much better than the Dos Equis on tap you will get at the bars. I usually enjoyed a couple of cocktails by the pool, but as someone who doesn’t drink these often it is hard to comment on their quality

• Don’t leave your sunscreen at home. If you need to buy it in the shop on property, it will set you back $20.

• Make a reservation at the Jacuzzi. There is a rather nice one in the spa building, but to make sure you can get in, reserve in advance. We went in late afternoon/early evening when it started getting cold by the pool. Unless you have an appointment for a spa treatment, you have to bring your own towel from your room or the pool, and you won’t receive a robe or a locker. We did get a massage and facial which we both enjoyed very much, although they were a little pricier than at home, as you’d expect.

• Use the safe in your room. We did not have any problems with safety or theft. However, there is a small safe in the closet, so why not use it?

• We took a great kayaking and snorkeling trip with Baja Outback to Santa Maria Bay and Chileno Bay. It was only $66 for a four-hour trip and they bring you to two locations for snorkeling. We were the only ones to book the tour so essentially had a private tour.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Strathmore, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2010

This was our third trip to the Riu in the past three years. As in the past we had a great time there. For us, what really draws us back is the staff. Right from the front desk, to the bars, restaurants, to the people who are constantly cleaning the grounds etc... amazingly helpful, and friendly. The food has always been very good with a good selection for every meal. The on site restaurants were fine with a decent menu, but we were surprised by the quality of the buffet meals. I'm not normally a buffet type of guy, and in the past we had heard the buffet meals were not up to what people expected. We found the buffet meals surpassed the restaurants no contest. We will return no doubts in our minds.

Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2010

Wasn't expecting too much since this is a 'downgrade' from the Palace, but I was very very impressed! Food was way above average for an all-inclusive; LOTS of seafood; lots of variety. Rooms were above average for this type of hotel; very clean; towels changed every day. Great pool configuration overlooking accessible beach and staff were constantly clearing away used glasses. Great poolside paella lunch prepared by restaurant staff one afternoon. The Kid's Club looked amazing: they were always doing crafts or playing games or having their faces painted. There were at least 4 groups of kids (4-5 kids per group) that we saw running around and all appeared to be having a great time. The only thing that I found funny was that for such a nice place the bathroom amenities were terrible-tiny detail, but I love those little touches.

• Stayed February 2010

Been to Hotel Riu Santa Fe? Share your experiences!