“Loved this hotel, its a blast! alas" Noche Libre"” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Santa Fe

You added Hotel Riu Santa Fe to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Santa Fe
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Camino Viejo a San Jose | Cabo San Lucas, Cabo San Lucas 23410, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Package Grand Sale!
Ranked #42 of 69 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Kelowna, BC
“Loved this hotel, its a blast! alas" Noche Libre"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2010

I used the trip advisor alot and was concerned with the bad reviews around Christmas, but paid no attention and booked anyway.

1. If you can, you want to be in building Seven, but it may cost you more, I was in Five and it was ok.
2. Went only to the steak restaurant ala carte and it was good, recommend the rib-eye steak,
3. Ate mostly at the buffet it was easy and fast and really you can find something you like,.
4. We were three people in a room and they had a roll in bed that was comfortable not like those for kids it was fine. Also if your bed is to hard they have extra padding and I used two blankets as I like a soft bed.
5. Didn't really watch the shows as I like socializing at the bars in the lobby.
6. The disco is Ok and does not smell like vomit as others have said, they must have read this one cause now it smells like comet hee hee.
7. I give the staff thumbs up as most of them are really good, the front desk staff speaks english very well and handled any requests I needed.
8. Favorite staff were? well I just can't remember all the names they were all good, except the guy at the pool bar, when you get in the water he was not so good gave me a Kuhla and milk with two bees in it and I didn't even pay extra! Hee hee oh well
9. Went down town to Cabo Wabo had a blast great band and we went twice.
10. Had the best Margarita at a little place before Cabo Wabo called Monkey Business
ask for Victor, bought my tequilla in the store beside it from Rudy, (the father of my child)
11. Don't just stay in the hotel, it is safe and very fun down town. give them business as they need it. Don' buy your booze at wall mart for two bucks less they won't entertain you as much as going and getting downtown with free samples.
12. Went deep sea fishing and it was good except it rained that day. You can book thru the hotel but it will be more expensive, I suggest that you try to book down by the Marina, I heard Pisces, Ponchos and thats all can remember are good. Everyone caught fish that day, fishing has been good.
13. Try to speak some spanish try it, its fun!
Have a great vacation, Your sincerely Noche Libre

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,573)
Monterrey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2010

plenty restaurants, good drinks, a lot of people. the pool is great and the view to the arch is stunning

Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2010

We returned on Feb 1st from 8 days at the Santa Fe. The resort is beautiful, kept very clean, rooms included and the staff and shops are great.The grounds are also manicured everyday. We had an ocean view room in section 7, all other sections are behind it with garden view or resort view only as the Riu Palace is in front of the Santa Fe.
The food was fantastic and plentiful. I don't understand why so many people complain. There is something for everyone from veggans to meat lovers to weigh watchers. It was cooked fresh at all the buffet stations in the Baja room, Torote and all the other restaurants. Although I was a little disappointed with the Italian one. The food was good but portions small and the service, only so, so. They didn't get a big tip.

Our room was kept spotless and nothing disturbed by the maids though that doesn't mean you shouldn't keep your valuables locked in the safe. We tipped her $3 US every second day. She took the time to shake our hands and thanked us very much. Don't forget people, the staff don't get paid exorbitant amounts of money, so a buck or two every now and then is very much appreciated AND remembered. I didn't find the drinks strong nor watered down by if you need a little extra kick, just ask for it. The Chocolate Martini's were fantastic.

We took the Sierra Buggies tour and had a blast...very good for the dollars spent for 4 hours but be warned, the buggies are NOT automatic's. Still, very easy to learn how to drive stick if you haven't before. We also did some snorkeling and got in some free whale watching on the tour while others paid as much as $80 each to go out for an hour or two and not see a single whale. Also did some scuba diving...AWESOME and the America's Cup Sunset sail. If you like, they'll let you sail the boat yourself.

Tip: If you go to the marina by road it costs $12 by taxi for 2 people but the water taxi's to or from the resort you can usually barter for $5 each and it takes about 10 min's less. The guys and their boats are always around but you have to be sure to get the price down first...as with everything else in Mexico. They'll start about $25-$20 each, DON'T pay it. Also, the Sports bar has Internet service 24 hours a day. It's $3 for 15 min's but that was enough time to check emails and get a few out.

The only thing that bothered us were some younger people (in their 20's) that were drunk all the time, noisy and being just plain idiots in the swim up bars and their rooms at night. Thankfully they left 3 days after we got there so the rest of the time was quieter. I don't begrudge anyone a good time but being disrespectful to others isn't usually appreciated by most.

All in all, we had a GREAT time and would go back to the Santa Fe.

Monterey, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2010

Okay, we just retruned from our trip from the Riu Santa Fe and I cannot understand why all the bad reviews???? Let me tell you how I see it!

Hotel is beautiful and they keep it really clean. You will always find staff cleaning. Did I see a cockroach? Yes, but it is Mexico. They are even in the 5 star resorts.

Food and drinks.... Although I would not give 5 stars to the food. It is not a 5 star restaurant. The buffet is okay, you can always find something you will like. Is there a lot of stuff that is not good... YES.... It is a buffet... Have you ever liked everything at a buffet??? That is why there are so many choices.... I would recommend going to the main buffet for breakfast not the one by the beach. For lunch, see what is going on by the beach pools, they usually do a special thing. If not, walk your butt up to the other buffet, much better food and always much more food. The buffet by the beach always seems picked through but great if you just want a quick plate of nachos or fries. We went to the steak house, chinese & italian restaurants and they we all good. I would say better than the buffets so try them and remember you are in Mexico..... Drinks are always stocked in your room and very cold. Drinks are a little watered down but, you would never know by the way people get so crazy at the bars.... Super Fun! My little side complaint is they only had Dos XX's, really wanted a Corona.

Property is close to downtown. We walked one day along the beach and another night took a taxi for the night life, about $10 cab ride.

Pools by the beach are the best feature of this property. Absolutely beautiful.

Our two compliants overall. The pools seemed a little cold especially the "quiet" pool. I always had a hard time getting in... :( Second complaints would be the night life. The bars are all the same. It gets a little boring. I wish they had a night indoor lounge or a place you could just sit back and enjoy music or a bar by the beach at night.

I would recommend this property and just enjoy yourself and always remember you are in Mexico.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
pinchyclips
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2010

We stayed at the Riu Sante Fe Jan 28 to Feb 4th - NO complaints what so ever

We requested a move to bldg 7 - they moved us no problem and we didn’t pay for the upgrade. We had a partial ocean view and were placed on the ground floor. We were a wee concerned for our safely however there were no issues. The hotel and grounds are beautiful and kept perfectly clean. The ground are gorgeous. Jasmine, palms, and hibiscus - more humming birds than I have ever seen in all my years.

I had a mani pedi at the spa - Best mani I have ever had - bar none. Gloriously clean as well. Compared to the $90 plus mani pedi at Stillwater in Toronto - $58 was a deal!

The food was plentiful and very fresh - the drinks strong. The bartenders are wonderful.
I honestly have no complaints and have trouble fathoming what people could complain about. Some of the guest’s behaviour was questionable however the local were patient and kind. I don't know how they do it.

Maybe too many children for my liking - one day the Entertainment staff announced a lost child and it seemed she wasn't picked up by her parents for some time - apparently they were on the beach. Kids at the swim up bar.... not cool. Mind you that's just me.

Cabo San Lucas itself is very cool and fun to walk around - Cabo Wabo was neat - expensive to drink however the food was excellent and plentiful. Definitely take a water taxi to lovers beach (they have beverages there as well) We saw sea lions, pelicans, many fish and whales in the distance.

I would definitely return.

Only down side to our trip - Skyservice air flights.... late arrival and departure, STUPID fellow passengers - walking around blocking the aisle, crying children, very cramped seating. Questionalble meal boxes.... For such a long flight you need a bigger plan and fewer children!)

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2010

We stayed at the Santa Fe January 23-30. We went with another couple. We are mid 30's, and I would say that was the average age there. Everyone there was beautiful. It was unbelievable. It was 60-40 Canadians to American. I love Canadians, they're awesome! After reading some of these reviews, I had really low expectations and actually tried down playing the place to the people I was going with so no one would be disappointed as I was the one who booked this trip for us. I could not believe what I had read once we got there. Us four have traveled to 4 other all-inclusives previously. This place was amazing. Whoever these people are writing these negative comments are knit picking people that I can't ever imagin vacationing with. Get very excited about your upcoming vacation! You will be impressed! The grounds are phenomonal. The views are spectacular. The weather at 77-80 was nice and hot. We were afraid it would be too cold for our liking. It's not! The service impecable. These people waited on our every want and need to make sure we were 100% satisfied. The food was very good at the buffets and the a-la-carts. We all have our favorites. You should be open and try everything. There are a few things you can do to ensure a successful trip. Check the nightly forecast temp before you go and bring dress accordingly. Research the buildings and see where you want to stay. We made a request for a certain area after we got there and saw the grounds and they happily put us there. Condsidering an upgrade? It is worth the money. In hind sight we would have. The other couple with us did. There is free wi-fi in the lobby. I thought the paid internet service $3 for 15 minutes was more than sufficient for my needs in the sports bar. The whale watching was so cool. I would suggest it. The prices are the same booking through the hotel as downtown after you you'd pay the cab fare to downtown. The boats through the Santa Fe are smaller and faster so they get right up close to the wales and quicker than the big catamaran we were on. I would suggest those. We were either down town or out early (after drinks and sun all day!), so we didn't see too much of the nightly shows. What we did see was entertaining. There was a good band that played before and after a lot of nights. Because of the prior reason, we also didn't hang in the sports bar or disco. It was nice to party at the outside bars and go down town on the days we were up yet. Down town is a must do. It is safe, fun, and part of the whole wonderful experience. Do keep in mind there will be a lot of "no gracious" to vendors and time share people from the time you get off the plane until you get back on when you are not at the resort. Also keep in mind everyone everywhere in Cabo appreciates a tip. The prior reviews on the bars and resaraunts have been quite accurate. My favorites bars were Cabo Wabo and Mandela. Have a blast, we did!

Kent, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2010

This was our 3rd time here, and weren't disappointed, except for a few small things. One bit of advice - when you get to the Cabo airport, after the second check, go immediately outside the airport to your ride to the Hotel! Timeshare and other hawkers are very agressive getting you to come over and listen to their pitch! They even tell you they are from your Transportation Co. JUST GO OUTSIDE, and your ride will be there!
Check in at the Riu is quick; we requested beforehand (we are RIU class members) to be in Bldg 3 or 4 on the second floor. So they put us in Bldg. 5 on the third floor. Turned out, Bldg 5 was fine. But remember, this is Mexico; the second floor to us, was the third floor to them! The ground floor to them, is the Zero (0) floor. We learn something new every time. The food and drinks were very good; if you want better quality booze at the bars, just ask, and they will give you. We never felt pressured to tip, altho we did when we got good service. One day, we mistakenly left our room safe open, with money in clear view; our cleaning lady had come and gone when we got home, and discovered it was open. Guess what - everything was all in place!! So much for reviews of theft being rampant!
We found booking there within 2 weeks of going there (if you have flexibility to do so), you can get a good deal. Always go when there are no holidays, or spring break. There is always room at the pool, and we never saw any lines at the buffets or lunches.
The sand on the beach is probably pea gravel, and is hard to walk on; its like 3 steps forward, 1 back. The entertainment people at the pools are very good at involving people to have fun. The music is very lively, and good! The evening "entertainment" is a little cheesy, just getting very young kids on the stage to hop around to a computerized drum beat.
Take a cab, and spend at least 1 evening at Medano Beach! There are 5 restaurants in a row there, the view is beautiful, and you can have dinner/drinks outside, tables in the sand! It is just magical! The Office is very good, but pricey; we had the seafood platter at the Medano Beach Club, it was more than we could eat! Ask for "Super Mario" there!
We didn't do the Riu "specialty" restaurants; they are overrated, we don't like the 7AM reservation times. When on vacation, we eat when we feel like it, not at a set time.
The main patio pool this year was cold. The beach pools at Bldg. 7 were warmer! It was the opposite last year!
Also, be careful when making any call from your room. We asked the desk how to make a collect call to US, as we had VISA card ATM trouble. The desk guy told us, we made it, then we were asked to pay 269 Pesos! I complained, he said we should have did this, etc... He didn't even want to give us a statement of the calls - just pay it. I gave the Mgr. on duty 300 Pesos, and he gave me 21 Pesos change, shorting me again 10 Pesos!! And if you buy a phone card from the desk, there is a $2 charge for EACH call made from your room. And read the fine print "Expires 30 days from first use".
Kahlua is the best in Mexico - get it from Wal-Mart, it is 108 Pesos for 980ml bottle. We bring empty 1.75L plastic bottles from home, refill them with Kahlua, and take back home! 5 - 980ml bottles will fill 3 - 1.75L bottles, and the plastic is lighter. Take the bus if you go to Wal-Mart or Puerto Paraiso Mall. It is 8 Pesos PP one way, they stop right outside the Riu gate.
We see partly orange birds outside our patio every day; from what we could find, these are "Bullocks Orioles". The females are a yellowish color.
Overall, we had a great time, and stay. We will be back next year. As long as we know what and what not to expect, we have a fine time - it is what you want to make of your vacation. All the staff is always friendly, always a "hola" or "Buenos Dias" each morning!
We will be back in 2011!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Riu Santa Fe? Share your experiences!