“OK I went back..and it was as good as first time” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Santa Fe

You added Hotel Riu Santa Fe to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Santa Fe
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Camino Viejo a San Jose | Cabo San Lucas, Cabo San Lucas 23410, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
EARLY BIRD SUMMER DEALS
Ranked #39 of 68 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Las Vegas, Nevada
“OK I went back..and it was as good as first time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

I went back to Cabo several months after last visit and decided why not take my own advice... I said in my review last time I would go back so I did. It was jsut as good as last time. I have no complaints from this hotel. I went with a couple of friends and some of there work colleagues based upon my recommendation. Every enjoyed there stay and thought it was a nice resort with good food, not great....at a reasonable price.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,517)
Lincoln, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

Great atmosphere at the pools, beautifulk installations, very long walks.
No beach to enjoy, unlkess you like to risk your life.
Cheap alcohol, some don't mind, american tasting food, some don't mind again, not always warm.
Only two restaurants open at any given time, unless the hotel is over 80% full, per hotel employees.
If you leave money or anything else of value, easily concealed, be prepared to possibly loose. management makes a circus of the situation and you believe they're going to do something about it, nothing happens. I must say that they're eithoer all in it or they just don't care.

Room Tip: demand to get what's advertised and read the reviews. If you don't get a room in the main t...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Kirkland, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

We stayed in September and had an overall decent time. There were some things though that made our vacation go from good to seeing many areas of improvement for the hotel. First off, we were supposed to have an ocean view and I guess technically we did; however we were on the inside corner with a very limited view with tons of trees in the way of what would have been an amazing view. Not to mention one day it started raining and we had hardly any privacy from our neighbors who were in the other corner.. They came out in their towels.. Just a little awkward!

Check in was smooth. Margaritas were a nice touch all though they were very watered down.

Food was very bland but it is an all inclusive so I didn't come in with too high of expectations for the food. My boyfriend is a VERY picky eater and he found something to eat which was nice but I would have liked to see something a little higher quality, even if it meant not having EVERY type of food there. Literally... EVERYTHING you could think of...

Drinks were very hit and miss.. Some days they were stronger than others but asking for a double or to have them float a shot for you always seemed to help.

The beds made me feel like we went on a camping trip instead of a resort. I felt like I was sleeping on a hard ground because the bed was so uncomfortable. Also, there seemed to be like a kid proof potty protector type thing under the sheets that made noise every time you moved. Very annoying when getting into bed at night.

One morning I woke up and went to brush my teeth in the bathroom. I was still a little groggy and used only one of the sinks because I thought my boyfriend hadn't cleaned out the sink after shaving and there were little hairs all over the sink.. Once I actually woke up and could see a little better I found that I was completely wrong about the shaving and hairs, as what I thought were hairs were actually ANTS! They were ALL over the sink and counter leading into a hole under the mirror. We tried talking to the front desk and were told to just wash them down the sink. We did (okay I didn't but my boyfriend did) but within 20 minutes they all came right back. We even tried plugging the hole they were coming in through but they all got through again. The way the desk team handled the issue was completely rediculous. They told us that they couldn't do anything for us at all and that if we wanted anything that when we got home we could call the hotel to try to get even a slight discount.. Ummm why would I wait to get home to call the hotel when we were AT the hotel? My boyfriend said he would call after we got home to get it straightened out but I'm not sure if he did..
Working in the hospitality industry also, I was baffled by their response to ants in our room! Thats why the poor rating. They were very rude about it and didn't solve the problem at all.

Room Tip: If you want a view get building 7.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Edmonton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

We stayed for a week in September and booked the room through the riu.com website. Excellent service from the website customer service staff to all the staff at the hotel.

Rooms:
Stocked mini bar with run, vodka and tequila. Mini fridge with pop and beer. It would be nice to have some juice included with a couple of snacks.
The safe is large enough for an iPad and some other smaller items.
This hotel is still issues room keys, don't lose it because it has your room number on it.
The see through curtain on our balcony window had a huge stain on it, kind of gross.
Our toilet always had an issue flushing, one day it was about to over flow and we had to run down to the lobby to let the front desk know since the phones don't indicate how to contact the front desk.
We did receive a welcoming gift of a small bottle of tequila.

Lobby/Lobby Bar/Entertainment:
The lobby had very weak wifi service, we would continuously lose connection. Lots of comfy couches to relax.
The Lobby Bar staff was awesome. The drink selection is the same of a typical AI result. Not a wide choice of brand name liquor. There was a Kahlua bottle, but it certainly didn't taste like Kahlua coming out of that bottle.
The nightly shows were good. Some were better than others, but the staff does need a relaxing day too.

Food:
It was difficult to get into the Al a carte restaurants if you were up at 7:30am to make reservations. They only had one Al a carte selection per night. Much different than other AI I have stayed at, there has always been 3 or more al a carte restaurants to choice from.
The buffet was okay, a typical buffet, pretty much the same selection every night. They also only serve pop, wine or water. If you want something different you will need to get it yourself from the lobby bar.
The 24 hour snack bar nothing spectacular, nachos & processed cheese, cold burgers and sandwiches and some fruit. One night there was nothing left. The cheese was empty with bugs in the bottom of it, and no fruit.

Pool:
This resort has no lack of pool space. There is an upper pool which is quiet and relaxing.
The lower pool by the beach has the party pool and activity pool.
The entertainment staff was awesome and work really hard to engage everyone.
There were two days where the toilets didn't work and people would just continue to use them. The staff wouldn't put up close signs. It was a good hike up to my room to use the washroom their. On one of those days the resort lost all power as well and only certain areas had the power restored immediately.
If you are just looking to party and get totally wasted this is the place to go to. On our last full day of our vacation you could notice the turnaround in the type of people. There were people passing out in lounge chairs and and puking all over the pool deck at 2pm. People are still passed on lounge chairs at 8am snoring away by the pool.

This is just an average resort, I am glad I stayed and tried it out. I am now ready to try another Riu.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

stayed from oct 7-14 2013 for our wedding ceremony on the beach, they did exactly what i wanted and how i wanted things set up. food was excellent at the steak house for our reception dinner. staff all over resort was exceptionally nice and helpful. the buffet was fantastic. we ate there everyday. for some reason being the bride and groom we didn't get upgraded and we had two double beds very odd... bed wasn't so great felt like i was sleeping on plastic i did ask to be upgraded and offered to pay but reception said there was no availability (didn't seem that busy at the hotel) all the pools at the hotel were fantastic especially the infinity pool. bartenders were fantastic. we would come back for sure. we stayed in building 3 it was nice and quiet. love the booze in the room as that is always an added bonus.

Room Tip: building 3 is nice and quiet although it is quite a walk to the infinity pool but it wasn't a pr...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

Overall this hotel/resort is wonderful with breath taking views and beach. Had a wonderful time and this place looks high end. This hotel is quite organized, we got our keys and were checked in upon arrival to our shuttle bus to take us to the hotel so when we got there we did not need to go to the reception desk and just went straight ahead to our room. The rooms are very clean has a nice bar with alcohol which I never used, and a fridge which was stocked regularly with pop beer and water. The whole resort is nice and clean and breathtaking. The food itself is ok, not as good as other resorts I have been too but I do take into account that this resort is so big that they have to cook for way more people than other resorts do. For the a la carte restaurants I don't like the fact you have to reserve the spot and only in early in the mornings even though we went to two of them and they did not have the spots full. For the buffets downside is I do not understand why the main buffet is located in the interior of the hotel and the restaurant at the beach with the view is a secondary restaurant that gets all the leftovers. Also on the day we were leaving they had the buffet closed so we could not even have lunch before going to the airport. For the a la carte restaurants there are four, Steak house, Mexican, Italian and Asian, we have gone to The Mexican And Italian, the Italian was very good and the Mexican was fair which is sad as this is Mexico so the Mexican food should be exquisite ! As for the steak house and the asian restaurant in my opinion should not be there. If you travel somewhere you should try that place's food and not require to have asian and american foods. One thing that bothered me mainly from people that were there that they always were insulting mexican food and kept eating their disgusting burgers. If you want to try some real authentic Mexican foods you can go to Downtown Cabo and go to restaurants Mazatlan and Tequila Shark, the food is awesome there! The only other downside we had is we got Ocean View room and when we got there we got only a pool view, we had to harass the staff until they gave us an actual ocean front view room and that was after arguing with them the fact that a pool is not the ocean. One thing for you all to take into consideration. This hotel is massive and when you buy Ocean View Room you will not necessarily have Ocean View, this hotel considers the whole building 7 ocean view so you can actually have a room looking at the bushes. It is the traveling companies fault for listing these rooms as ocean view instead of pool view or garden view. Even though of the down sides of our experience this hotel is still wonderful, had great time, enjoyed our stay and might return to this hotel again. And one last thing, it is very sad to see people not tipping their waiters, I know this is an all inclusive resort but these folks working there work hard, even 12 hour days in the heat trying to make your stay better and barely making any money so a small tip like a dollar would not hurt you.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Kearney, Nebraska
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

The room was a huge disappointment. The beds were extremely uncomfortable. The food was elementary school cafeteria style with too much focus on variety that they forgot about quality control. The drinks were good. The staff at the "courtesy" desk were anything but courteous. The wait staff, bartenders, and entertainment crew were exceptional. The resort itself is beautiful and fun. The spa and the staff there were incredible. If you want a place to go for an inexpensive drinking vacation, this is the place. If you want luxury at any level, keep looking.

• Stayed October 2013

Been to Hotel Riu Santa Fe? Share your experiences!