“Great hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Santa Fe

You added Hotel Riu Santa Fe to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Santa Fe
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Camino Viejo a San Jose | Cabo San Lucas, Cabo San Lucas 23410, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
EARLY BIRD SUMMER DEALS
Ranked #39 of 68 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
“Great hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

I stayed here from July 7-11. It was my first time in Cabo and my third time at a Riu resort, so I already had certain expectations for this resort. Needless to say, this hotel did not dissapoint. Check in was fast, we got our rooms right away. We were in building 5, which was right in front of the spa. The room was clean, did not smell, and I didnt see any bugs. The food was good, I dont see why a lot of people complain. We made reservations at Carusso and El Torote for dinner. Both of these a la carte restaurants were great! We also ate at the buffets, which had plenty of options. The pools in the center of the hotel are less crowded than the ones in front of building 7. Although the beach looked beautiful, you couldnt swim in it because of the waves and rip currents. However, there is a swimmable beach about a 20 min walk away with plenty of people and vendors. I went on a tour to El Arco in a glass bottomed boat, it was fantastic! I would really recommend Rancho Tours, the price for the tour was reasonable and the guy was friendly. Overall, this resort is good for anyone looking to have fun and enjoy Cabo San Lucas. I recommend the Riu Resorts Chain and plan on returning to this resort the next time I'm in Cabo.

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,514)
BEND
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

Stayed here with some buddies on a dudes trip. Rooms and service were top notch, being an all inclusive you can't really complain about much. All the pools and bars were awesome but the food at most of the restaurants left lots to be desired. The only thing that was impressive was the little taco stand they had set up in the courtyard each night. Otherwise the food was just bland and mass produced. The staff at all of the outlets were great and they even brought us a case of beer prior to our fishing trip.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dallas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

My daughter and I stayed at this resort last week with our girlfriends. After reading about the thefts and other poor reviews, I was apprehensive, but absolutely no reason for it! We love the Riu chain, since you can always count on it's consistency. We have stayed at the Riu's in Ocho Rios, Cancun, Playa and Bahamas. This resort is very large, we were put in building 7, which I had read was the party building, which we were hoping to avoid. Our check in host, Reyna, told us if we didn 't like it, she would change us the next day, but there really was no need, and as we came to find out, it was the best building in the resort. She also made special accomodations for our rooms to be next to each other. She was totally accommodating to our needs. We did hear the late night partiers the first night, but after that, nothing. Just be prepared, that it is a bit of a walk to the main lobby and buffet, and entertainment center. We had absolutely no problem making reservations for dinner, which is also located in Bldg7. The buffet is the largest and freshest of anywhere we have ever been. The house wines are not very good here, I don't recall that being an issue at any of their other resorts, but that was OK, since we just switched to champagne! And it was a bit of a bummer that we couldn't swim at the beach in front of the hotel, but we knew that going in. Room fridge was restocked every other day, just as it said it would be. We had a wonderful time here, yes there are the pool bar party people who never get out of the water, but you don't need to go in to get a drink at the pool bar either. My last comment resides with Jorge, who checked us out at 6am, on July 6, he really needs to get with the program, didn't smile, didn't say thanks for visiting, kiss my butt, or anything. A real downer. Asked him to make sure I got credit for my stay with the Riu frequent visitor program, and he took my passport and number and went in back for 5 minutes, came back out and just handed it to me with no explanation. What a downer to end our trip! If you are going here, be prepared to enjoy yourselves! It's wonderful, I may even take my husband next time!

Room Tip: Building 7 is closest to the ocean, and it also has it's own concierge where you can make dinner...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

We arrived at CSL on June 28th in the evening. The airport is small and taxi services are available right outside of the airport. We were charged $16.00 p.p for a shuttle van that transported a couple of other parties. If you are trying to save money this is a good option. We arrived at the Santa Fe close to 10pm it's about a 40 minute drive. The Riu's overall service was exceptional. My only complaint was with the reception area employees. For whatever reason they couldn't find our reservations. We booked our trip through Bookit. We brought a copy of the reservation documents and I would highly recommend you do the same as proof of payment. We asked to be placed in a quiet area as my husband is a light sleeper. They gave us 2 rooms in bldg. 1. The rooms we had were on the second level which meant having to go upstairs with luggage. Not a big deal for us, however the rooms were very warm. The AC in one of the rooms apparently did not work so that same evening we asked to be transferred to different rooms and in a more centrally located building. They told us we had to be there the next morning between 9am-10am if we wanted to switch rooms. We were switched to Bldg. 4 which was much more conveniently located and on the first level. We had to wait until 3pm to have the room because the rooms had to be cleared and the bag handlers delivered the bags to our new rooms. The rooms were nice and clean but unfortunately we had mosquitoes. It is hard to avoid them because as soon as you open the door to leave your room they zip right in. I don't believe the hotel can do much to avoid that. You may want to bring your own insect repellent. After spending 2 nights in the new room we got a call to the room from the reception asking if we were planning on extending our stay because their records showed we were suppose to leave that day. We explained to them we booked 1 week. We had to go to the reception area and provide them with another copy of our reservations. For unknown reasons they didn't call Bookit, they expect you to show the proof, again bring your proof if you don't want to have a bad time.

The grounds and pools are very well maintained. The cleaning and service staff is very friendly. We tipped a few people but I honestly didn't bring enough cash to tip everyone that deserved it. We aren't big drinkers but had a drink or two every day and they had sufficient alcohol to our taste, maybe even a little too much. The food as suggested by other reviewers isn't magnificent but wasn't horrible either. I like Mexican food so I sampled most of what I would consider authentic Mexican foods. I didn't like any of their pastas except the pizza. We made reservations for the Steakhouse and that was by far our best dinner night. The food was excellent and the service was great. The view was awesome too. Most other nights we ate at the buffet. We also made a reservation to the Italian place and were so dissatisfied we left and headed to the buffet. If you only try one of the specialty restaurants the Steakhouse is your best bet. We had no trouble making reservations to any of the restaurants and we often went around 10 or 11am.

The Riu has 5 pools, I prefer the quiet pools towards the center of the resort. Most party folks were near bldg. 7 which has the infinity pools. We went there a couple of times, but there were so many people that it just felt dirty to me. The water is definitely warmer there.

The beach outside the resort is beautiful but not swimmable. As mentioned by other reviewers vendors will approach you and offer you their merchandise or jet-skiing and boat trips. If you respond with a no thanks they leave you alone. We had no one harassing us to buy anything.

We visited the Marina and Lover's Beach. The taxi to the Marina is $12.00 from the Marina back to the hotel is $10.00. We tipped both ways. You can walk to the Lover's Beach, we did, but in the heat it can be a bit exhausting, bring some water.

Overall, it was a great time, The people are friendly, the food is decent and the views are spectacular.

Room Tip: "Party building is #7. Quieter yet close enough to pools, spa and gym is #4. Bldg. 1 is too far...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Paramus, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Riu Santa Fe is a great family resort, it was actually less than I expected because I have been dreaming on staying in this resort for quite awhile... I came here with my husband for our mini honeymoon... I thought it will be more relaxing and chill unfortunately it was more of a party resort than I expected. The surroundings are nice, very well kept except when your walking in the hallway by building 7 going to the beach there was a distinct sewer/fishy smell but overall the surroundings are well kept... I been in other parts of Mexico and I will say that Cabo was very different experience than I had in Cancun and Riviera Maya. I felt very safe being Cabo and for our 7 days stay, we actually got to know the town, we took the bus for $1 everyday to go into the town and there were no problems nor any vendors that was bothering us compare to cancun. Riu Santa Fe's food selection was ALRIGHT I must say I had better selection in other hotels and I guess I just had huge expectations that's why I was a little bit disappointed. The room was nice, well kept although we had no view whatsoever, we got to enjoy our stay... We got a massage in their spa and I must say that was very relaxing... I loved it so much I gave them $30 in tips each... The overall stay was nice, we got to do so much activities I didn't want to leave Cabo... We'll definitely come back again but maybe try some other resorts just to see if there are any differences...

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

My wife and I spent 2 days at this resort, prior to be upgraded to the Riu Palace next door. In the 2 days we were here, it started out pretty rough as we were put into a room and section of the resort we did not pay for. We paid extra in order to stay in building 7 which is the only section of this resort that faces the ocean, all the other buildings are set back from the ocean.

Once they put us in the proper room, we got a call from front desk with the offer of being moved to the Palace, so with no hesitation we took up Riu on their offer. So with staying at the Palace we were able to move back and forth from these 2 resorts, as if you stay at the Santa Fe you cannot go to the Palace.

The rooms were excellent and clean all the time. If you want to use wifi it can only be used in the lobby and for an hour a day. I find this quite annoying as most other major chains like the Riu offer it all the time and anywhere on the resorts. But hey if you are on holidays than no need to be on the computer.

Let's talk about the food, your in Mexico and in Cabo so the food is the best from my view. don't believe what other people say about how crappy and poor the food is. These are people who don't travel enough and don't know how to look outside of the box. We did venture out into town a few times and dined at some local eateries at the marina in Cabo, and let me tell you there is so much o choose from and excellent fresh fish to eat.

The only downfall to be honest is the ocean, you can't swim in the ocean, it is too rough and with lot's of under tow. There is a section of the beach you can go into, and that's at Magano beach where I believe the ME resort is located. The pools are so big here at the Santa Fe that they are sufficient. There is a party pool which I would not go into, as most people who were in there were college kids and they stayed in the same pool all day long. Myself , those partying college days are over. They do have the large infinity pool where it is more relaxed and quite, and you get the great view of the arch and cruise ships coming in and out of Cabo.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
London, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

The Riu Santa Fe provides everything you would expect from a Riu Resort. The rooms and grounds were clean and there was lots of food choices. The pools at the Santa Fe are what make this resort special. The infinity pools in front of building 7 are great. If you want excitement and people this is the spot. The beach is rough, but it's amazing to look over the water and see Lover's Beach.
Take advantage of the spa hot tub at the end of each day when the sun starts to set. A reservation is required.
Heading into town is worth the trip. We ate at Los Tres Gallos. AMAZING. See my review if you want to know more.
We had friends at the Palace the same week and they kept coming over to the Santa Fe because they said the Palace lacked energy. Some people will like the peace and quiet while others want a more lively pool.

Room Tip: Ask for building 7 if you want to be close to lively pool.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Riu Santa Fe? Share your experiences!