“A great stay in Cabo” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Santa Fe

Save Saved
You added Hotel Riu Santa Fe to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Santa Fe
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Camino Viejo a San Jose | Cabo San Lucas, Cabo San Lucas 23410, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Best Fall Getaway
Ranked #36 of 66 hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Plymouth, Massachusetts
“A great stay in Cabo”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

The hotel staff were great and the room was fantastic. I'm late in writing this review but we really enjoyed our stay. It was a great couples escape. We were pleasantly surprised by Cabo. We did a ton of activities. All and all we would go again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

4,455 people have reviewed this hotel

1960
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,226)
Park Forest, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Great resort, 6 gorgeous pools, good food, lots of bars. Entertainment excellent and staff very heplful and pleasant
Enjoyed the scenery from our balcony of the ocean and the rocks.
Would go back there any time!

Room Tip: Ask for ocean view
Winnipeg, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

We were there March 22nd - 29th. I have to say the resort overall is very nice. Rooms were clean, staff very friendly and workers would try very hard to please you. The food overall was very good. Found the pools very nice. Did not really care for the reservation system, you had to line up before 7am and this did not guarantee you a spot.

My biggest complaint were the spring breakers. Very LOUD and obnoxious, rude. they did not care about anyone else. they would run through the buildings screaming, knocking on doors all hours of the night. Too much for security to handle. Felt bad for the workers who would have to clean up after them. Was glad they did not go to the quiet pool. Would come back to this resort but not in March. Whale watching was awesome.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Yorkton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

We spent two weeks at the Riu, returning on March 7th, 2013. We have travelled extensively in Cuba, the Dominican and Mexico and thought we would try Los Cabos. It was a wonderful vacation, and although I read the complaints I have to wonder what on earth people are expecting! Check in was great, the room was constantly clean, as was the rest of the resort. I don't bring my "best of everything" and leave it out in the hope that it will be stolen so I can complain EVER, no matter where I go in North America or in other countries... It is just common sense! I am not fussy but I do like good food that does not leave me feeling queasy and throughout our vacation neither myself, my husband nor any of our fellow travellers reported any problems. The staff and the service were incredible and although we tipped it was clear that it was not expected and did not change the quality of service that we saw around us; Stellar. Spring break crowds did produce a tons of very drunk young adults and I would assume that some others would have been offended by that, although they had no effect on us. The staff dealing with the drunks were absolute rock stars and need to be commended... the patience of saints The lounge chairs were a chase in the mornings and I have to say that many people would reserve with out showing up for the bulk of the morning which is immature bad taste but happens everywhere. . I would recommend this resort to anyone who have no mobility issues and can tolerate a bit of drunken bravado... we had a blast and would go back again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

I recently stayed at the Riu Santa Fe and I enjoyed my stay there. I was greeted with a welcome drink and checking in was a breeze with no wasting vacation time in the process. The staff are friendly and helpful.The room was spacious and spotless. The bathroom had two sinks. The resort is extensive with 2 pools one closer to the lobby and the other closer to the beach. The grounds are well maintained and match the area with cactus, sand, palm tree, and grass landscaping. The buffet had a great selection of standard buffet food. I dined at the Mexican and Italian specialty restaurants. I preferred the Italian restaurant and reservations are a must and can be made at the Customer Service desk. (go early or one has to wait in line)
There is free WiFi in the lobby for 90 minutes after that a fee is charged. One can walk to a shopping mall close to the resort. If one wants to go into Cabo San Lucas there is a collectivo bus that goes there for
10 pesos one way. I really liked the beach but unfortunately due to the undertow and high waves swimming is not suggested. As for the temperatures in March during the day it is sunny and hot but in the evenings it cools down considerably. I really enjoyed my vacation at the Riu Santa Fe and would I stay there again a definite YES!

Room Tip: Building 2 is a good location as it is close to the main lobby area. Also the main floor is a good c...
Barrie, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

.......this was my second trip to the Riu Santa Fe.
And sadly to say ,my last.
I do must say that the noise level was about the same as on my last trip,
very loud but with ear plugs is was all very bearable.
This hotel is definitely a party place but I must say that there are ample opportunities to get away from to the other pools.
The food was fine and enough choice for sure.
Having to line up at 7AM to reserve a spot in the a la carte restaurants is something that would need improvement.
My biggest problem on this trip were the bugs.
We encountered cockroaches in the room.
The problem was brought to the attention of front desk and we got moved immediately.
No problem to report there.
Management however had really nothing to say about this issue.
Not even after I insisted on speaking to someone in charge.
Back at home I wrote a letter to Riu and their response was of the same nature.
They even insisted on telling me that cockroaches are a very common problem in Mexico.
Sorry, I would disagree for SURE.

Room Tip: never in the #7 building
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Would not recommed nor would go back.

I have never taken the time to write a review (I always felt it was the "complainers" before now) but feel that people planning on spending their hard earn money and vacation time here need to be aware of what they getting into.

Where to start....the fact that it was Spring Break certainly didn’t help. Unless you enjoy putting up with hundreds of drunk, rude (who raised these “young adults”) loud college kids. From the kids we were traveling with (10 and 6) seeing people passed out in the middle of the afternoon to puke in the bathrooms at the pool it was a horrible place for a family vacation. At one point the 10 year old said “these teenagers are ruining my vacation.” Definitely not what we wanted the kids to take away from their first family beach vacation which we spent thousands of dollars on.
I agree with other reviews that the attitude of management and staff was simply to not care nor to do anything about banging on doors or yelling in hallways at all hours of the night. There was only one night that I didn’t get woken up in the middle of the night and call down to complain.

Spring break aside here is why I WILL NOT RETURN no matter what time of the year….

Food-how many ways can you say terrible? The buffet was half decent so long as you enjoy eating the exact same things for a week long. The “a la carte” restaurants were NOT a la carte and instead you chose only your main entrée (which was awful) and told to either go to the buffet or they just put down sloppy/ greasy mess of appetizers in front of you. I especially liked how on the menus they gave you it listed soup as a second course but it was part of the buffet you had to go up to . We spent money that we had not intended to on taxis into town more than once in order to get a decent meal.

Service-severely lacking in all areas except housekeeping. Our room was left clean every day. Of course we also left $5 US everyday so that may have helped. Even when tipping on every single drink poured at the bar it was difficult to get a smile from a bartender and the wait was quite long. Reception staff were also quite rude and never went out of their way. The other thing that was very much lacking was a lack of English language skills in the staff. Having stayed at many resorts in Mexico I was quite shocked that the service staff could barely understand very basic English.

Although the pictures show well and the grounds are quite nice, this resort is best described as a “4 dressed up as a 9” as I would barely classify it as a 3.5 star based mostly on the service and food.

If after reading this for some reason you decide to give it a try here is a tip for those coffee drinkers out there- the only place to get a good coffee or cappuccino on the entire place is the Sports Bar or Italian Restaurant. I which we had realized this earlier as at breakfast the coffee was terrible and when we asked for baileys in it was given a blank stare as the of course didn’t know what we were saying.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Riu Santa Fe? Share your experiences!